CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (600)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (239)
400 evacuated after (209)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (143)
Total lunar eclipse (52)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-02-2019, 07:56 AM   #21
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1343234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: How far from the top are we. And do we care?

But we have NEVER been at the top.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:58 AM   #22
Legalman72
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 19800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Step one to improving is identifying your problems. In this stage, a good leader makes no excuses. Everything is on the table.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:10 AM   #23
gamecockphan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 102200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

I thought that we were getting closer and that losses to teams like UK, A&M, UF were either bad luck, youth, and inexperience. However I felt this way when I thought that we had a top flight recruiting staff with a no nonsense coach who was extremely detail oriented and really drove he team to be their best.

We now know that we have a middling recruiting staff, a team of coaches not holding the QB accountable, and a coach who’d rather give guys days off than prepare for the last game of the season.

The losses that I initially chalked up to other reasons, now appears to be an endemic and structural problem, which is going to be very difficult to fix.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 08:21 AM   #24
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2160
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Hey Look another game vent thread. Some of these threads are like watching a damn cow eat.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:00 AM   #25
ffstreetdoc
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
Hey Look another game vent thread. Some of these threads are like watching a damn cow eat.
My point is intended to be a "status of the program" more than a game vent thread.
Old 01-02-2019, 09:13 AM   #26
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2160
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

My bad your title of the thread says that, but your whole post is about the bowl game.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:29 AM   #27
ba55nec4r
Blue Chip

Male

ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material

Fact is it doesn't matter how fans feel about the game. It only matters how the players feel and if you guys think teams don't go to bowl games from time to time not wanting to be there or whatever the case maybe you're just wrong.

Players want to play, but you can physically see when a team doesn't really care about a bowl game. We weren't the only team. We won't be the last team. It really means very little in the grand scheme of things.
ba55nec4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:40 AM   #28
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Jesus, you guys are some overreacting bunch.

Here are some facts--we aren't as good as we looked against Clemson and we aren't as bad as we looked against UVA.

Another fact, this team still has players that lost to a division 2 school and have been passed around between several coaches.

Another fact, and one that no one really wants to accept, myself include, is that Bentley is simply pretty good. He's not an elite QB. He has talent and he can make throws, but he simply doesn't have 'it'. That's not a huge negative, we've only had a handful of QBs in 100 years that have 'it'. The vast vast majority of QBs in college don't have it, either. He's not going to get us the win that we need when he has to shoulder the team--and we should stop asking him to do that.

Another fact, we hired a coordinator with very little experience. McClendon, I think, can be good. He's shown a lot of flashes and promise. But he's still learning the role.

How far we are from the top? About as far as you would expect to be 3 classes out from a 3 win season and a head coach dipping out. And that's okay. Only a handful of naÔve posters and fans thought we'd be at a point to contend for the east. After the UGA game, it should've been clear that we're still out-talented at all positions.

I also think that the overall trajectory is good. People whining about UGA and Clemson being so far ahead need to realize they didn't get there in 2 years. We need to still focus on obtainable goals--beating UK, continuing to win against Mizzou, finally win against TAMU. Make those things happen, then turn focus to UGA and Clemson. It sucks, but that's the state of the program right now, and that's okay. It's not the staffs fault that we are out-talented right now by almost every team in the east save Vanderbilt. They're doing a good job. They need to do better, but that also comes with wins.

I truly believe that we are just a few dudes away from being pretty good. A few years (5 or so) away from contending in the east and with Clemson, barring any changes in their programs.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:50 AM   #29
ffstreetdoc
Blue Chip

Male

ffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPitffstreetdoc rules the CockPit

Quote:
My bad your title of the thread says that, but your whole post is about the bowl game.
Not a problem. I did kind of get hung up on the bowl game. That was just my jumping off point. I should have pointed out some other references like; how UK manned up and actually moved the ball enough to sustain a drive to run out the clock to win their game. Something we haven't done in years. How we are one of only two teams to be shut out in the bowl season.

How we are 1 - 11 vs ranked teams under this coaching staff. Muschamp has one win against a top 25 team (Tennessee # 22 in 2016). He has a 12-12 SEC record. He has one bowl win over an unranked Michigan team.

He has no wins over Georgia and Clemson, which is understandable. no wins over Kentucky or Texas A&M, which is not. We currently have 5 game losing streaks to three teams on our schedule and have lost four straight to UGA. I see no end to these streaks in the future. The gap between us and 1/2 of our schedule is growing. We have no identity on offense and the defense couldn't stop a turtle. We look slow and uncoached in my opinion.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:02 AM   #30
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 899700
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yet, here you are.

https://i.imgur.com/oXRPWTA.gif
ACPhilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:14 AM   #31
RedneckCPA
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 800
RedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPitRedneckCPA rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post

Here are some facts--we aren't as good as we looked against Clemson and we aren't as bad as we looked against UVA.

Another fact, this team still has players that lost to a division 2 school and have been passed around between several coaches.

Another fact, and one that no one really wants to accept, myself include, is that Bentley is simply pretty good. He's not an elite QB. He has talent and he can make throws, but he simply doesn't have 'it'. That's not a huge negative, we've only had a handful of QBs in 100 years that have 'it'. The vast vast majority of QBs in college don't have it, either. He's not going to get us the win that we need when he has to shoulder the team--and we should stop asking him to do that.

Another fact, we hired a coordinator with very little experience. McClendon, I think, can be good. He's shown a lot of flashes and promise. But he's still learning the role.

How far we are from the top? About as far as you would expect to be 3 classes out from a 3 win season and a head coach dipping out. And that's okay. Only a handful of naÔve posters and fans thought we'd be at a point to contend for the east. After the UGA game, it should've been clear that we're still out-talented at all positions.

I also think that the overall trajectory is good. People whining about UGA and Clemson being so far ahead need to realize they didn't get there in 2 years. We need to still focus on obtainable goals--beating UK, continuing to win against Mizzou, finally win against TAMU. Make those things happen, then turn focus to UGA and Clemson. It sucks, but that's the state of the program right now, and that's okay. It's not the staffs fault that we are out-talented right now by almost every team in the east save Vanderbilt. They're doing a good job. They need to do better, but that also comes with wins.

I truly believe that we are just a few dudes away from being pretty good. A few years (5 or so) away from contending in the east and with Clemson, barring any changes in their programs.

Best post I have read on CT in a while. Makes a lot of sensible points. We seem to have lost all ability as a fan base to be rational. It takes time. Maybe Muschamp never gets there but he is doing a lot of things very well. The results aren't as immediate as many want - but they aren't going to come faster by starting over with someone else.

In the Bowl game, we just flat got beat. Their defense played perfectly against our offense - they covered man deep and brought their safeties up to guard the short route and stuff the run. Bentley couldn't handle it. He is athletically talented but can't get out of his own head. Maybe Werner can help with that next year - maybe not.

UGA also just got beat pretty embarrassingly by freaking UT. Do you think their fan base is jumping off a cliff?

Now let's all put on our Red gear and pull for Bama. RTR.
RedneckCPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #32
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post

THANK YOU.

Finally someone one here who realizes that the sky is not falling.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:16 AM   #33
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ba55nec4r View Post
Fact is it doesn't matter how fans feel about the game. It only matters how the players feel and if you guys think teams don't go to bowl games from time to time not wanting to be there or whatever the case maybe you're just wrong.

Players want to play, but you can physically see when a team doesn't really care about a bowl game. We weren't the only team. We won't be the last team. It really means very little in the grand scheme of things.
Well we keep hearing what a young team we are. And if a team thats this young already doesnt care about getting an 8th win or not....thats a bad sign. Especially with the insanely brutal 2019 & 2020 schedules coming up.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:24 AM   #34
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
I hope I'm wrong, but, the way things look right now, we're about to hit bottom, again, as a program, and we've been there at least twice in my lifetime.
Show me something positive. Please.
Man, we went 7-6 - it's not the end of the world. It's not great, but it's not doomsday. Plus, we have all these recruits coming in, starting next year. Hell, some are even moving onto campus next week. We were never going to really compete with the big boys in 2018. You're just not going to do that in Year 3 at a place like South Carolina.

Some of our fans are just insane. They think that any time when there is a disappointment, we're gonna go back to the 1-11 days. Shit happens, especially when a coach is early in his career. To be quite honest, freaking out so quickly and assuming we're doomed because of one bad loss is the "Old Carolina."

We're all mad about the Belk Bowl, but we're going to be fine. Keep in mind that just a few weeks ago, the feeling around the program was still optimistic and that while it's still building, it's going in the right direction. A loss (as embarrassing as it was) to Virginia in the f*cking Belk Bowl is not going to ruin this program.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:26 AM   #35
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Well we keep hearing what a young team we are. And if a team thats this young already doesnt care about getting an 8th win or not....thats a bad sign. Especially with the insanely brutal 2019 & 2020 schedules coming up.
That's a coachable thing to fix. It shouldn't happen, but it's an immature mindset that can be changed.
Old 01-02-2019, 10:34 AM   #36
GSC2013
Banned

Male

GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
That's a coachable thing to fix. It shouldn't happen, but it's an immature mindset that can be changed.
Hope so but seeing our 19/20 schedules its hard to be optimistic.

That late 2019 App State game is starting to look an awful lot like it could mirror Muschamps game vs Ga Southern at Florida.
Old 01-02-2019, 11:26 AM   #37
gamecock88
BMF

Male

CockyCash: 3625498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

We're a Spring Game type opponent to most of the top teams. If nothing else I had expected the physical and mental toughness to improve with a Muschamp coached team by now. The team appears to somehow have gotten softer and more fragile in both respects. Maybe they can decompress over the off season?
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 12:07 PM   #38
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
We're a Spring Game type opponent to most of the top teams. If nothing else I had expected the physical and mental toughness to improve with a Muschamp coached team by now. The team appears to somehow have gotten softer and more fragile in both respects. Maybe they can decompress over the off season?
Soft and fragile are very accurate. Not sure why. Maybe it was destined to be from the day Muschamp was hired and Rally Cap Ray told him he must tone down the yelling. Guess Ray wants more of a baseball atmosphere on the sidelines. Some clapping and laughing. Try your best but donít go all crazy and stuff. Well he got it.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:11 PM   #39
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Soft and fragile are very accurate. Not sure why. Maybe it was destined to be from the day Muschamp was hired and Rally Cap Ray told him he must tone down the yelling. Guess Ray wants more of a baseball atmosphere on the sidelines. Some clapping and laughing. Try your best but don’t go all crazy and stuff. Well he got it.
One reason why I support Will Muschamp, but not Ray Tanner. He was a great baseball coach - not a great AD.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:45 PM   #40
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Hey, even IF this team doesn't have a winning record next year, I'm still going to pull for them with all of my heart.

Even if we never win the SEC, I will still pull for them with all of my heart.

Even if we never win the Natty, I will still pull for them with all of my heart.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote