CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-02-2019, 01:52 PM   #41
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 118025146
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: How far from the top are we. And do we care?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Soft and fragile are very accurate. Not sure why. Maybe it was destined to be from the day Muschamp was hired and Rally Cap Ray told him he must tone down the yelling. Guess Ray wants more of a baseball atmosphere on the sidelines. Some clapping and laughing. Try your best but donít go all crazy and stuff. Well he got it.
Pushing the fake narrative in order to serve your hatred for Tanner isn't going to make you look any better......
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 01:55 PM   #42
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 5003673
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffstreetdoc View Post
Prior to our bowl game I had heard several media outlets and national sports guys state their concern about us and our "not caring about this game. nothing to prove" theory. The ones who stated that all picked UVA to win.

Then I read posts on the game thread giving the excuse "we didn't want to be there"! I will NEVER accept that as a valid reason for losing.

Every player on every team is programmed to win. Find me a player at this level that is out there playing just to be out there. That is what they do.

I have watched most of the important bowl games. Including games that involved team's that thought they should have been in better games. OSU played their asses off to win a game after they felt they should have been in the playoff. UK rose to the occasion in the 4th quarter to seal their win.

UGA just started, we will see how they do. In the 10 or so bowl games I have seen, I can say we had the worst performance.

My point is NO Carolina fan should ever accept that a game was not important enough to win as a reason for a loss. Every coach and player should be playing to win every time they play.

Are we so bad we can't beat a mid level ACC team or did the team and coaching stiff really not care about this game? Either way it is very concerning.

I don't worry about falling skies as much as I worry about low ceilings.
Old 01-02-2019, 03:59 PM   #43
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Pushing the fake narrative in order to serve your hatred for Tanner isn't going to make you look any better......
Whats fake about it? Many of us see it.

When you hire a fiery defensive coordinator known for his on field tirades....then tell him he cant act the way he has always acted during his mostly successful football coaching career, what do we make of it?

Every stop Muschamp had before USC he has fielded top notch defenses: Texas, LSU, Florida, etc. Hes a Saban tree guy.

So why hire him then tell him he cant act the way he acted when he was coaching Sabans defenses or coaching the Texas defense???

Tanner wanted a more toned down sideline. Thats a fact. I dont hate Tanner. I just think it was a mistake. USC people were so starved for a championship and we let a couple baseball ones blind us. I just know Football culture and baseball culture dont mix. Baseball people should never be making football decisions. Not here especially.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:08 PM   #44
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 201562
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

Gamecocks are pretty far from the top. 2019 will be my last year as a GGC member and buy tickets. Hate to do it but financially I’m about done and something has to go. Still will root and be a fan best i can from home.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:28 PM   #45
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrZyn View Post
Gamecocks are pretty far from the top. 2019 will be my last year as a GGC member and buy tickets. Hate to do it but financially Iím about done and something has to go. Still will root and be a fan best i can from home.

I'm stopping my tickets but will still donate some--however, it's on a tier basis on how I feel about the performance.

Basically, after basketball and football, next season I'm giving less than half I usually do. Until the product gets better, and not just wins but just entertaining, I'm holding steady. I'm done donating for the promise that things will turn around, just got to keep feeding the system. Results = more money from now on.

I'm not a baller by any means, but the little bit helps me feel better about 'wasting' my money.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:04 PM   #46
gamecock88
BMF

Male

CockyCash: 3625498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 09:45 PM   #47
gAmkok
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4000
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
I'm stopping my tickets but will still donate some--however, it's on a tier basis on how I feel about the performance.

Basically, after basketball and football, next season I'm giving less than half I usually do. Until the product gets better, and not just wins but just entertaining, I'm holding steady. I'm done donating for the promise that things will turn around, just got to keep feeding the system. Results = more money from now on.

I'm not a baller by any means, but the little bit helps me feel better about 'wasting' my money.
This is where I am too. I gave up football tix two seasons ago and am half a step away from doing the same with MBB - neither bring as much joy as they do frustration for the investment (time and money).

As for OP's question... we can't even see the top from where we are. We're barely beyond base camp, tracking Kentucky's footprints. And I do care.
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 10:03 PM   #48
AndersonCock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
This is where I am too. I gave up football tix two seasons ago and am half a step away from doing the same with MBB - neither bring as much joy as they do frustration for the investment (time and money).

As for OP's question... we can't even see the top from where we are. We're barely beyond base camp, tracking Kentucky's footprints. And I do care.
My father has given up on the Cocks as well. We had pretty decent seats but my brother and our families are starting our own memberships. I canít blame anyone 45 or older, theyíve sat through some awful games and things donít look to be getting any better if all we can do is hope Hilinski, Pickens and Cam Smith are better than the other players we already have the day those freshman step on campus. I think BMac can be a good coordinator but Iím tired of the defensive philosophy of ďbend donít breakĒ. Iím want our defense to knock somebody on their ass not chase them out of bounds after they run for a first down. My Dad loves basketball so weíll probably still keep our tickets for that but Iím about done with Frankís excuses about fan support when I drive 2 hours to watch us shit the bed against Stony Brook and Clemson. Iíll always love my University and the Cocks but Iím want our teams to compete until the final whistle and for whatever reason that hasnít happened.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 11:20 PM   #49
cocknthrow
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
cocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPitcocknthrow rules the CockPit

How are we going to compete with Georgia, Florida Clemson when we can't compete with Kentucky. The team who whips us year after year running one play. If we don't beat them this year everybody involved needs to be fired. And there is no arguing with that. Enough is enough.
Old 01-05-2019, 02:37 PM   #50
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 5003673
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

I wouldnít be surprised to see us picked as third or fourth in the SEC east this August

But we could also be picked 5 or 6 justifiably

1) Georgia

2) Florida

3) Tennessee (Pruitt is bringing in some highly rated player by also beefing up the lines of scrimmage + the Tennessee bump after each media days week)

4) Missouri (trending up due to transfers and recruiting)

5) Kentucky (loses Snell)

6) South Carolina

7) Vanderbilt
Old 01-05-2019, 03:22 PM   #51
cockybusiness2
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2010508
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
I wouldnít be surprised to see us picked as third or fourth in the SEC east this August

1) Georgia

2) Florida

3) Tennessee (Pruitt is bringing in some highly rated player by also beefing up the lines of scrimmage + the Tennessee bump after each media days week)

6) South Carolina

7) Vanderbilt

WOW... THAT IS A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS. We have fallen so far in a short period of time. The FANS CARE... BUT DOES THE ADMINISTRATION
cockybusiness2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 04:49 PM   #52
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I think Mizzou will surprise some teams next year.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2019, 05:03 PM   #53
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockybusiness2 View Post
WOW... THAT IS A SAD STATE OF AFFAIRS. We have fallen so far in a short period of time. The FANS CARE... BUT DOES THE ADMINISTRATION
This was one guy's opinion lol we will be ranked higher than #6.
Old 01-05-2019, 05:23 PM   #54
Rooster'srule
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 985410
Rooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot materialRooster'srule is USC mascot material

Quote:
Whats fake about it? Many of us see it.

When you hire a fiery defensive coordinator known for his on field tirades....then tell him he cant act the way he has always acted during his mostly successful football coaching career, what do we make of it?

Every stop Muschamp had before USC he has fielded top notch defenses: Texas, LSU, Florida, etc. Hes a Saban tree guy.

So why hire him then tell him he cant act the way he acted when he was coaching Sabans defenses or coaching the Texas defense???

Tanner wanted a more toned down sideline. Thats a fact. I dont hate Tanner. I just think it was a mistake. USC people were so starved for a championship and we let a couple baseball ones blind us. I just know Football culture and baseball culture dont mix. Baseball people should never be making football decisions. Not here especially.
C'mon man a head coach has to display decorum on the field. Now if you want to complain about his beer gut I am with you. Name me one winning head coach with a beer gut. Doesn't look good and I don't know how a young man can have the utmost respect for a man with a beer gut
Rooster'srule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:07 PM   #55
lifetime gamecock
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 100500
lifetime gamecock is sharpening his clawslifetime gamecock is sharpening his clawslifetime gamecock is sharpening his clawslifetime gamecock is sharpening his claws

Quote:
We are a LONG way from the top. And I dont know if the gap can be closed, maybe ever.

I care a lot, nothing makes my family (parents especially) happier than all of us cooking a meal and watching the Gamecocks win. Best memories with my Dad are Saturdays watching the Gamecocks.

But Im very realistic. The planets just arent gonna line up for an SEC championship at USC. Theres too much talent outside of this state that we cant get. The other team IN this state is getting too strong for us to win most in state battles for the limited 5-star types around here.

We are a program tbat can and should win 7/8 games consistently, with an occasional fall to 3-5 wins and an occasional surge to 9-11 wins. Thats it.
I agree about not winning an SEC championship so why don't we leave a s go to a weaker conference that we can win in. Unless every good recruit is coming only because they want to play in the SEC it seems we are just treading water.
lifetime gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 10:44 PM   #56
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

There are two kinds of power football programs: Traditional and Newcomer
We will never be a Traditional power. Teams that have storied history like Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St and Georgia, Notre Dame are Traditional powers.

Newcomers are teams that have built up their programs over years: Clemson, Oregon, Florida in this category.

To make it as a Newcomer you need:
1) A quality coach who stays with the program 5-7 years
2) Sequential consistent recruiting classes with high hit rate.
3) Your rivals to have down years
4) Your rivals have coaching turnover at the head and/or assistant positions
5) You have to win some big games as an underdog

These criteria are exactly how Clemson got to where they are. In 2010 Clemson fans wanted Dabo fired after his 3rd year and 5th loss to SC, they were 6-6. Let me say that again, they wanted him fired. Just at that point, things changed, GA had down years, so did we, Clemson won the recruiting trail, ect.

We were standing in the doorway of being great under Spurrier. We were turning out numerous NFL players. We had the best player in college football with Clowney and had a signature win again Michigan with one of the all time great hits, and because of recruiting we didn’t walk through that door. We didn’t capitalize on the opportunity.

We CAN get there too, but it will require some luck and Dabo to go to another job and likely Kirby to do the same, but if we are patient and the other factors are there it can happen.

Last edited by CockTail; 01-09-2019 at 11:07 PM..
CockTail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:15 PM   #57
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
We CAN get there too, but it will require some luck and Dabo to go to another job and likely Kirby to do the same, but if we are patient and the other factors are there it can happen.
I disagree. We can win with both coaches still at their current schools. Remember, Dabo had Clemson clicking pretty well during out 11 win run. UGA was right there too. We just need to have one good year. It starts with making the SEC title game.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 11:30 PM   #58
CockTail
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I disagree. We can win with both coaches still at their current schools. Remember, Dabo had Clemson clicking pretty well during out 11 win run. UGA was right there too. We just need to have one good year. It starts with making the SEC title game.
Possible, yes, but Dabo and Richt werenít recruiting to the level those programs are now. Both programs are recruiting machines. The biggest hump Muschamp must get over is winning big games as an underdog. Getting Georgia, Clemson or Alabama next year would be huge regardless of what the final record is.
Old 01-10-2019, 12:37 AM   #59
sandstorm2001
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 50700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockTail View Post
There are two kinds of power football programs: Traditional and Newcomer
We will never be a Traditional power. Teams that have storied history like Alabama, Michigan, Ohio St and Georgia, Notre Dame are Traditional powers.

Newcomers are teams that have built up their programs over years: Clemson, Oregon, Florida in this category.

To make it as a Newcomer you need:
1) A quality coach who stays with the program 5-7 years
2) Sequential consistent recruiting classes with high hit rate.
3) Your rivals to have down years
4) Your rivals have coaching turnover at the head and/or assistant positions
5) You have to win some big games as an underdog

These criteria are exactly how Clemson got to where they are. In 2010 Clemson fans wanted Dabo fired after his 3rd year and 5th loss to SC, they were 6-6. Let me say that again, they wanted him fired. Just at that point, things changed, GA had down years, so did we, Clemson won the recruiting trail, ect.

We were standing in the doorway of being great under Spurrier. We were turning out numerous NFL players. We had the best player in college football with Clowney and had a signature win again Michigan with one of the all time great hits, and because of recruiting we didnít walk through that door. We didnít capitalize on the opportunity.

Being better than teams that are "down" isn't going to win us a championship. We just have to be the best and there aren't any shortcuts. The Gap is going to be closed a little bit at a time and there are going to be more times that it won't be pretty.
Old 01-10-2019, 03:54 AM   #60
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post

1) Georgia

2) Florida

6) South Carolina

7) Vanderbilt
There's no way in hell Tennessee is getting picked 3rd. I don't see them getting picked ahead of us, they're going to have to make a bowl game first or at least beat Vandy before people start buying in. We'll likely be sitting somewhere in the 3-5 range, just depends on how they decide to vote because you can make arguments for us, Mizzou, and UK. I personally think we'll get the edge over them because we lost the least by far to the NFL Draft from this year while both UK and Mizzou lost quite a bit. We'll see where it stands but if we're any lower than 5 I'll be shocked and frankly would be a bit surprised if we're any lower than 4.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote