CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (609)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (246)
400 evacuated after (213)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (152)
Total lunar eclipse (61)
Coaching changes
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-02-2019, 02:33 PM   #21
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material
Default Re: Is Muschamp being allowed to be HIMSELF?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
My thoughts:

First, Herman was never coming here. And if he did, he would've Kiffin'ed us as soon as Texas called.

Second, Raging like a lunatic won't help BAW tackle or our CBs not get lost in coverage. It won't help Bentley get out of his own head.

Third, full disclosure I have two issues with Muschamp this year. First, the QBs. The Scar situation. Completely brushed him off and I feel like it was because Scar wasn't 'his' guy and didn't even give him the nod of taking a snap against effing Akron. Don't start him the next week? Okay, but give him a chance when the games are out of hand. And with Joyner, I think Muschamp either wants him to transfer or move position. And my second issue was effort. I don't care if no one wants to be a the Belk game, but the guys should at least be giving effort and if not, find the bench.
The way Champ treated Scar was utterly disgraceful. Classless.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:01 PM   #22
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
The way Champ treated Scar was utterly disgraceful. Classless.

It really was, and from all accounts of Muschamp as a person, seemed out of character. I just don't understand it at all. And, honestly, it makes me wonder if some of the seniors who Muschamp has made multiple thinly veiled comments about just not being talented enough dialed it in after this. If Scar comes out and leads a game winning drive (something Bentley had the chance to do against UF and failed) and then doesn't even get a curtain call at home, why should guys bust ass knowing they're just holding a spot until a transfer comes in or a freshman takes his spot?
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:11 PM   #23
толстый Cock
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
толстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talonsтолстый Cock has developed his gaff and talons

I believe that Tanner has forced Muschamp and Martin into being something they are not. would we win more if they were able to holler and scream like madmen? maybe, maybe not but I think they would do better and be much better coaches if allowed to be themselves. I'm no fan of Tanner as AD by the way, and I feel he needs to go.
толстый Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 03:56 PM   #24
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by толстый Cock View Post
I believe that Tanner has forced Muschamp and Martin into being something they are not. would we win more if they were able to holler and scream like madmen? maybe, maybe not but I think they would do better and be much better coaches if allowed to be themselves. I'm no fan of Tanner as AD by the way, and I feel he needs to go.
Most folks that have been in the Military or have had exposure to it can tell you simply yelling and screaming doesn't equal leadership or nor does it motivate folks in the long run. You might scare folks into doing what you want, but ultimately, you lose respect if that is your leadership style.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:03 PM   #25
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Most folks that have been in the Military or have had exposure to it can tell you simply yelling and screaming doesn't equal leadership or nor does it motivate folks in the long run. You might scare folks into doing what you want, but ultimately, you lose respect if that is your leadership style.

Hearing some former players, Tanner did his share of motivating through fear, but he did so behind closed doors and not in the dugout. I think that's a much better approach than screaming at kid for turning the ball over after being on the court for two minutes or turning redfaced when a DB celebrates after getting a PI call.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:09 PM   #26
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Hearing some former players, Tanner did his share of motivating through fear, but he did so behind closed doors and not in the dugout. I think that's a much better approach than screaming at kid for turning the ball over after being on the court for two minutes or turning redfaced when a DB celebrates after getting a PI call.
Maybe maybe not. Saban does it. Dabo does it. Spurrier put on a circus show at times. Holtz did it. Urban did it. Bob Stoops did it.

Its not the yelling that does it. Its the 24/7 high standards and immediate intense correction of errors that does it.

How Tanner did it is irrelevant. That was baseball. Baseball is a different culture. Baseball players themselves are different personalities from football players.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:10 PM   #27
GSC2013
Banned

Male

GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by толстый Cock View Post
100% agree. They have obviously been told not to act like they did during their most successful jobs before USC. Still want them to win, just dont act the way you acted when you succeeded elsewhere.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:14 PM   #28
SC Gamecock
IT IS WHAT IT IS

Male

CockyCash: 200
SC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot materialSC Gamecock is USC mascot material

Camera may not show it as much, but boom is still boom.. he’s in the refs ear quite a bit. He’s not at Florida level but he’s also not coaching that crew that urban recruited, and there’s a lot less pressure here than at Florida. Over analyzing I think. His response to Tanner about toning it down a tad was that “I’m still going to be me”. Even he knows he could’ve toned it down some though. This is the least of my worries, and to me has zero to do with the outcome on the field.

Ray tanner is not a good athletic director. I think he will be gone in a year or two under the new president, then it’s just a matter of time before boom and Martin are replaced. And I will see you guys then!

Side note : why is there an advertisement for Mississippi state university at the bottom of cockytalk? It’s definitely not based off my searches
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:16 PM   #29
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Maybe maybe not. Saban does it. Dabo does it. Spurrier put on a circus show at times. Holtz did it. Urban did it. Bob Stoops did it.

Its not the yelling that does it. Its the 24/7 high standards and immediate intense correction of errors that does it.

How Tanner did it is irrelevant. That was baseball. Baseball is a different culture. Baseball players themselves are different personalities from football players.

Here's the major point--it's revisionist history. We're 7-5 and he's not yelling enough. He yells more, and he's yelling too much, unless we win 9 games and then it's because he's yelling. Martin's demeanor keeps kids from wanting to play for him, but if he yelled more then we'd be winning more.

It's too simplistic. Both the basketball and football team have a slew of issues, top of the list being lack of talent. Maybe we you have a point, but if I were ranking the issues and assigning value, Muschamp's demeanor would be 1% at most.
Old 01-02-2019, 04:18 PM   #30
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I'm sure he was in his offensive coaches' ears after that bowl game. At least I hope so anyway.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 04:23 PM   #31
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Quote:
Here's the major point--it's revisionist history. We're 7-5 and he's not yelling enough. He yells more, and he's yelling too much, unless we win 9 games and then it's because he's yelling. Martin's demeanor keeps kids from wanting to play for him, but if he yelled more then we'd be winning more.

It's too simplistic. Both the basketball and football team have a slew of issues, top of the list being lack of talent. Maybe we you have a point, but if I were ranking the issues and assigning value, Muschamp's demeanor would be 1% at most.
No, its just a symptom of something that could be deeper. Allowing coaches to be themselves vs meddling. Kinda like Jerry Jones with Cowboy coaches. Parcells made that known. Makes me wonder if someone meddles a lot in football/basketball.

The most visible meddling seems to be that we have 2 fball and hoops with legendary intensity on the sideline and here, they’ve both stopped doing that. Coincidence? Coaches with those fiery styles usually dont tone it down until they’re old, and even then not a whole lot.
Old 01-02-2019, 05:02 PM   #32
highstick
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2700
highstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot materialhighstick is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
Tired of all the backwoods lizard man South Carolinians who obsess on chicken curses and any other voodoo hillbilly magical conspiracy theories, because all the jerry springer syndications have been replaced by Humana infomercials, and so they are bored with their lives now.

Tanner hasn't done a thing to Muschamp, and no one is preventing Muschamp from being himself. Many if not most of the questionable decision-making and poor coaching tendencies he and his staff have shown at USC, are the exact same things he showed at UF, and the UF fans all complained about, and we said no they were just bitter at how it went down.

I am however greatly concerned about the high degree of player injuries that keep biting our program, like they bit the UF program under CWM. I am concerned about finding out that our team wasn't prepared very well for the bowl game: one thing you learn at all levels of coaching FB, from pop warner on up (and the various coaches who post on this site can respond to this), is that the game of football is a very physical sport, and the best way to prepare for the sport in a way that minimizes injury is to PREPARE FOR IT - to learn the fundamentals, to condition your body to handle the physicality, and to focus on proper execution during games. Especially when the opponent playing you is going to be as physically and mentally prepared as they can be.

Otherwise, you are going into a game just begging not only to be embarrassed by the final outcome, but also begging for injury due to a player half-assing through the executions, or half-assing through contact with an opponent. Or perhaps trying hard, but tiring out towards the end because he hasn't prepared properly for almost a month, and now he's half-assing not because he doesn't care, but because he's gassed. I did not like learning of how we prepared for this game, AT ALL.....

Also, we've had an awful lot of injuries throughout CWM's tenure. Finally, Muschamp went to bat and defended and supported MD's former HC and how he coaches his players, after that one player died from heat stroke or whatever.

These things all added up do not make me feel good........but no, no one in the background of South Carolina athletics is running around in the shadows, undermining anyone in the program.....
It's Big Pharma...every other commercial on TV is from a new drug. We've been lacking in certain key fundamentals(like tackling technique) all year long, dropping passes, as well as passes being off target(or route communication). Anyway, I'm with you on the Lizard Man theories!
highstick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 05:14 PM   #33
DrZyn
El Logical

Male

CockyCash: 201562
DrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot materialDrZyn is USC mascot material

Is mushchamp on the gamecocks coaching staff? Damn where have I been?
Old 01-02-2019, 06:24 PM   #34
pitchcock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 29698000
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
The clear and drastic inconsistency of the play. The rash of injuries that it seems some guys would play through if maybe we were in 1st place in the East. I dunno just seems off.
We are inconsistent. If the WR’s consistently caught the ball we would’ve had several more wins this year. I think we played pretty much every WR we have, they all consistently dropped passes that hit them in the hands.

Which injured guys do you think should’ve been playing? The ones with concussions? Broken bones? Torn knee ligaments?
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 06:36 PM   #35
GSC2013
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
We are inconsistent. If the WR’s consistently caught the ball we would’ve had several more wins this year. I think we played pretty much every WR we have, they all consistently dropped passes that hit them in the hands.

Which injured guys do you think should’ve been playing? The ones with concussions? Broken bones? Torn knee ligaments?
Concussions. But then again I have an old school outlook on that and believe the whole concussion thing is half just a scam lawyers and doctors are pulling. Coincidence that the doctors that discovered CTE also heavily invested in anti concussion technology BEFORE their big discovery??? And the TV folks LOVE it because more offense means more viewers. Just my opinion

Read this and you’ll never see concussions the same

https://www.regnery.com/books/war-on-football/
Old 01-02-2019, 06:51 PM   #36
Legalman72
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 19800000000
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Gamecock View Post

Side note : why is there an advertisement for Mississippi state university at the bottom of cockytalk? It’s definitely not based off my searches
They've identified you as someone they can flip.

Don't feel bad. UTEP is working on me.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2019, 07:06 PM   #37
beak2
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 5500
beak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPitbeak2 rules the CockPit

Whatever, he needs to score some points to win games, and when you have goose egg on the board in the second half and game over, PLAY ANOTHER QB !
beak2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 02:33 AM   #38
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 5399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post
why does it always come back to Herman? Its been three years, get over it!
Well, look at the results of the bowl games and the overall seasons of SC compared to Texas. Tanner failed at Not getting Herman.
Old 01-03-2019, 08:25 AM   #39
Axman99
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
Axman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudlyAxman99 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by AikenRooster View Post
Well, look at the results of the bowl games and the overall seasons of SC compared to Texas. Tanner failed at Not getting Herman.
Wow, you're a fool. If you compare the two then Herman is 17-10 in his time at Texas, while Muschamp over the same two years is... 16-10. Muschamp coaches in a much tougher conference. Now if you wanna include Herman's last year at Houston which was Muschamp's first year then sure, Herman has a significantly better record. But Houston during that time was an already established program. Muschamp took over a train wreck; Herman took over Texas, and while Texas may have been down, it was still a traditional power in very fertile recruiting grounds. Not to mention that the had Tanner hired Herman, the Texas job still would've probably opened up the following year and we would've been right back to searching for a new coach. Stop being delusional and think before you post.
Axman99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2019, 08:55 AM   #40
kacrosinsc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 89145
kacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by SC Sandlapper View Post
I don't care if he has tantrums or does yoga, I just want him to start making better decisions.
He is what he is. A good defensive coordinator. Good not great. A great supporting cast may have saved him. He has a good supporting cast, at best. He is in over his head and will be gone after next season. Fare well
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote