CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-04-2019, 08:23 PM   #41
gamecock1116
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
gamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Jake Bentley returning for Senior season

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
If the story that some one is talking about involves nothing but the numbers, then hell yes those numbers tell the whole story. I do not even believe the above poster who asked about being the best Gamecock QB statistically, even tried to imply that Bentley would be the most efficient QB, or the best rushing QB, or the tallest QB, or the QB with the best GPA at USC. I think he was only talking about statistics. Every one else has since tried to dispute his position, by talking about other things besides statistics.....
My bad, I wasn't referencing the statistics thing at all. At the risk of over simplification, wins matter most. Jake hadn't shown, regardless of circumstance that he is the guy to lead to the next step in the rebuild. I could care less about numbers, I didn't when Garcia was there or when Shaw was there or when Thompson was there. It was the innate quality of Shaw and when Sober Garcia to make the play and rise to the moment that added to the litany of other stars that were on those teams. Thompson's 19 yard run in Death valley to best them for the 5th time was awesome but he showed an inability to finish games when he was the starter.

Jake is not devoid of talent and has only shown himself to be a class act, but he has not shown the consistency or the metal in big moments to be THE guy. Great qbs don't have great games every week but they don't vasalate from 500 yards against Clemson to borderline awful against Akron at home. He has had his chance to size this program with no competition apparently and the only stamp he has put on the program is inconsistency and potential unrealized.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 08:26 PM   #42
Roosterboy
1st Team All-American

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Meh
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:44 PM   #43
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
A waste of time. You stated above that being the best Gamecock QB statistically =/= being the best QB...
I posted "Those numbers do not = best QB." What were "those numbers"? Until you accurately read what someone posted, you're going to look stupid arguing something that isn't.
Quote:
I pointed out that those are not the same thing. A QB can tuck the ball and rush for 1000 yds and 15 TDs each season, but that's not typically what a QB does. A QB could have a strong run game with a premier RB for much if not most all of his career, helping out his efficiencies, while another QB may be depended upon to carry the offense game in and game out, for much of his career.
Where in these comments below, did you post your comments above?

Quote:
1) if the stats show that he is the best compared to the stats of other USC QBs, then YES he will leave here STATISTICALLY the best QB in Gamecock history

2) stats comparable with national leaders has little to nothing to do with Gamecock History. Our FB program has little history of great QBs on a national level, so when a Gamecock QB does something that's at the top of Gamecock QB history, don't slap it down for no reason. It's at least moving in the right direction.....
Quote:
You still left my above statement alone.
I didn’t really give a shit about your statement. Unless JB can improve dramatically on his passing stats, he will not become the “best QB ” at USC and anyone with common sense is aware of this. Passing efficiency and passer ratings are measurable stats that enable us to view QB v. QB comparisons.
Anyone who knows football understands this. If you want to keep arguing, have a go.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:53 PM   #44
wjmfour1
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
wjmfour1 has feathers coming inwjmfour1 has feathers coming inwjmfour1 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Only if he stays out of 5 pts.
Hell maybe he needs to go to five points.. seemed to work for garcia. At least he beat some ranked teams
wjmfour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:56 PM   #45
bcgibson75
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5450
bcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot materialbcgibson75 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
Meh
^^this...x 10.

Jake was being projected as a 6th round to free agent type player. Nothing to see here.

As previously mention, I really...really hope there is an OPEN competition in the Spring...and if there is any question of who is QB1 after that...it should be decided in Fall Camp.

We need a better playmaker at QB...going through progressions in the pass games, running the ball in the RPO looks & limiting turnovers.

May the BEST qb start vs UNC...Bentley, Dak, Urich or Hilinski.

GO COCKS!!
Old 01-04-2019, 08:57 PM   #46
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Who the hell are you arguing with??? Go find him......
Is asking questions argumentative?
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 08:59 PM   #47
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

On a slightly related note, I'd like to take this moment to announce to the forums for the first time: I will not be entering the 2018 NFL Draft.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:01 PM   #48
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 16418
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

So in one thread we complain we cant keep guys for four years. Now we start to and we complain. Bipolar fanbase.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:07 PM   #49
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Glad to have him back. But he really didn’t light it up to make the jump to the NFL anyways.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:39 PM   #50
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5480
bigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPit

You know it's kinda odd that fewer people were complaining about Jake the entire second half of the season and the none after the Clemson game. One bad bowl game and people turned real quick. Glad to have him back, I hope he silences all you haters.
Old 01-04-2019, 09:41 PM   #51
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

CockyCash: 5500
PalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot materialPalmettoG27 is USC mascot material

I don’t think JB would have made the NFL this year. After the bowl game damper I doubt he would even make that Canadian league. I hope I’m wrong. On the same token Bentley doesn’t have a stable of stud RBs to hand the ball off to or WRs to throw to. When we played UGA their QB didn’t even have to work because of that. Muschamp needed to recruit some players like that yesterday.

Hopefully next year there will be some competition for the starting position on QB.

Last edited by PalmettoG27; 01-04-2019 at 09:52 PM..
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:49 PM   #52
gamecock1116
Blue Chip

Male

gamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot materialgamecock1116 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcgibson75 View Post
^^this...x 10.

Jake was being projected as a 6th round to free agent type player. Nothing to see here.

As previously mention, I really...really hope there is an OPEN competition in the Spring...and if there is any question of who is QB1 after that...it should be decided in Fall Camp.

We need a better playmaker at QB...going through progressions in the pass games, running the ball in the RPO looks & limiting turnovers.

May the BEST qb start vs UNC...Bentley, Dak, Urich or Hilinski.

GO COCKS!!
My man!!!! I agree 1000%

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
Old 01-04-2019, 09:50 PM   #53
USCBASEBALL1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 311755
USCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot materialUSCBASEBALL1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
You know it's kinda odd that fewer people were complaining about Jake the entire second half of the season and the none after the Clemson game. One bad bowl game and people turned real quick. Glad to have him back, I hope he silences all you haters.
Nobody hates him but we do expect him to play better than he did this year. He was on off all year so he needs to be more consistent. Factual info is not hating. Our best win this year was Mizzou think about that.
USCBASEBALL1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 09:53 PM   #54
bigduff32
Freshman All-American

Male

CockyCash: 5480
bigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPitbigduff32 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBASEBALL1 View Post
Nobody hates him but we do expect him to play better than he did this year. He was on off all year so he needs to be more consistent. Factual info is not hating. Our best win this year was Mizzou think about that.
Good points... but my statement is that after the aTm game Jake had an outstanding se one half with very consistent play. One bad bowl game seemed to have wiped a lot of people's memory. I contribute the bad game on Jake's part mostly to the gameplan by McClendon in the bowl as well. Just my opinion though I suppose
Old 01-04-2019, 10:17 PM   #55
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmfour1 View Post
Hell maybe he needs to go to five points.. seemed to work for garcia. At least he beat some ranked teams
With Alshon Jeffery and Lattimore and an NFL defense
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:02 PM   #56
thedude0486
Recruit

Male

thedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudly

I’ll set the over/under at 50 for career interceptions.
thedude0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:07 PM   #57
thedude0486
Recruit

Male

thedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudlythedude0486 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigduff32 View Post
Good points... but my statement is that after the aTm game Jake had an outstanding se one half with very consistent play. One bad bowl game seemed to have wiped a lot of people's memory. I contribute the bad game on Jake's part mostly to the gameplan by McClendon in the bowl as well. Just my opinion though I suppose
He threw 8 interceptions in 7 games after aTm, which he only had 2 good possessions in that “amazing performance”.
thedude0486 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:11 PM   #58
Garnet&BlackOp
Provacateur

Male

CockyCash: 420
Garnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talonsGarnet&BlackOp has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post
I am glad he is back. However, I hope Hilinski is given playing time so as to be ready for 2020.
Yeah, my main concern after that debacle of a bowl is that Muschamp is in with Jake come hell-or-high-water. It was mystifying JB wasn't pulled - WM might be showing some of the reasons he was run out of Gainesville.

I would hope that Joyner, Ulrich and Hilsinki at least get a fair shot in practice at beating him out.
Garnet&BlackOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:14 PM   #59
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Jake was actually on target to start the bowl game but the receivers were droping ball after ball or running the wrong route and it just destoyed his confidence and he fell apart. The pass he threw to Vann , when he tried running before catching, was dead between the numbers.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 11:16 PM   #60
SC Sandlapper
Mr. 10,000

Male

CockyCash: 9650
SC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot materialSC Sandlapper is USC mascot material

I echo the hope for a genuine open competition for qb. I am not optimistic that it will happen.
SC Sandlapper is offline   Reply With Quote