CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-07-2019, 06:14 PM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 20200
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Arrow 2019 Preview

The National Championship game is tonight, so that means we can officially start talking about 2019 Football (not that it's slowed anyone down anyway).

A lot of fans believe 2019 is make or break for Muschamp and with a poor performance he could be on the hot seat, if not on the way out. To me, the only way he's on the hot seat after 2019 is if we have numerous games that look like the Virginia game, and appears that the team just didn't show up or care to be there. As long as the team is competitive in all of the games, I don't see how anyone is going to justify Muschamp being on the hot seat, other than they just don't like him.

What the roster looks like for 2019

QB - We'll have a 4 year starting Senior that's on the verge of being the greatest QB statically in SC history under center. Behind him we'll have Dak (2nd highest ranked dual threat QB to play at SC), and Hilinski (2nd highest rated QB recruit I believe ever). In the 4 spot is a guy that's been with the program and in the system for 4 years. I honestly don't expect any real challenge for the starting position. I would love to see some packages for Dak. Maybe some redzone packages to give Defenses something extra to look at and think about. I don't know that there's ever been a time that we've had this caliber of QB talent and depth on the team.

RB - We're returning everybody and then some. It's not that this group doesn't have the talent, it's they haven't been consistent. When someone is getting hot, they get hurt and are out for a few weeks. If this group can just get healthy there's no doubt in my mind that Rico and Ty'son could be 1,000 yard rushers, and I'm not sure if given enough carries Turner and Denson wouldn't either. If my memory is correct, I believe Turner walked with Seniors this year, so he may end up being a grad transfer? Behind them we have Fenwick that got some but very limited carries, and Valentine that's going to blow people away in the open field. Then throw in Pickens that I believe we'll use down in goalline yardage. Again, I don't know of a better group of backs that we've ever had. Maybe a better feature back, but not the talent top to bottom like this.

WR - Losing Deebo is going to be a huge blow, but we're almost losing him and getting OrTre ... which isn't a terrible trade. I still fully expect Edwards to return and break or get very close to nearly all of our career receiver records. If we can keep Randrecous and OrTre healthy that will go a long way. Dawkins and Vann have the talent, but need to be more consistent. We'll also need guys to step up like Darius Rush and Chad Terrell. Terrell made some very nice plays in the little playing time that he's had. It's just a consistency for the receivers in 2019. We have the talent.

TE - We're losing a lot in Crosby and August at the TE position. Pollard and Markway looked good this season. Pollard is a swing for the fences kind of guy. He either blew your socks off, or blew the assignment. It's going to be their show, but I think we'll see Traevon Kenion seeing some playing time and Keveon Mullins if he ends up at the TE spot as well. Probably the thinnest position for our Offense going into 2019.

OL - We're going to need a lot of guys to fall in love with the weightroom and grow up REAL quick. We're losing a lot of experience with Blake Camper, Dennis Daley, Malik Young, and of course no bigger loss than Zack Bailey. Wonnum and Donell Stanley are the main returners, but we're going to need Manos to build on the experience he got late in the season. Gwyn keeps being talked about as the strongest guy on the team, so hopefully he can stay healthy and find a place to live on the line. We have a number of really big guys that came in with a lot of potential, but there's not a lot of experience with this group. I like our chances of getting them up to snuff more with Wolf coaching them than any other OL coach we've had in the past few decades.

DL - The story for 2019 across the board is going to be staying healthy. If the front can stay health, we have some really REALLY good talent. Guys coming back like (I realize some of these are the hybrid BUCK) Kinlaw, Wonnum, Keir Thomas, Kobe Smith, and saw some flashes Sterling, Johnson, Fennell, and Enagbare, not to mention Belk and Sandidge that will be special. Of course add Pickens and Anderson to the mix. Also JUCO guys Jahkeem Green and Devontae Davis that will be able to supply depth a lot sooner. We're quickly building the talent and depth we've so desperately been lacking. We have a very nice mix of really big bodies and really long and quick bodies across the board.

LB - The only notable returners are Brunson, Sherrod Greene, Damani Staley, and Rosendo Louis. We're going to be thin here. Ernest Jones is supposed to be a guy that should help out, and Derek Boykins coming in has a lot of excitement around him. We'll just have to wait and see. I see this as being the weak spot for the D in 2019. Not so much from a talent standpoint, but a numbers one.

DB - Call me crazy if you want, but we're damn close to fielding one of the nastiest Defensive Backfields in the nation. Need a little depth, but talent at the top is whoa. From an experience and numbers point, I hope we can get Harvey and Ibe another season. Really didn't get to see enough/any of them in 2018 to determine how much they can bring to the table. Outside of them, we have returning (my opinion) a future All American Jaycee Horn, Israel Mukuamu (just needs to tighten his coverage a bit), Jamel Cook, Jam Williams, and a guy that's going to make people forget the name of Swearinger in R.J. Roderick. Dickerson and Charleston need to eat a couple of cheeseburgers while hanging out in the weight room to be real contributors for 2019. Then we're adding to the mix a potential 5* (hopefully he gets that bump) Cam Smith. There's a few more on the board that could join this class and be potential help as well. I know I'm a broken record, but after 2018 it needs to be said, we have the talent if we can stay healthy.

ST - Charlton and White will be back. Both with all the talent in the world, but still some areas to tweak.

Overall, I think this is by far the most talented team Muschamp has had at Carolina, but I think talent wise at the 1s could rival some of the top Spurrier era teams. The main things for 2019 is stay healthy (still a little thin is some areas), ball control (Offense hold on to it better and Defense get some of those turnovers we were spoiled with the first 2 years), and improve redzone scoring. I think if we can do those 3 things in 2019, we have the chance to take a really difficult schedule and do something nice with it.

Speaking of the schedule ...

(Neutral) UNC - We're going to find out real quick what this team is made of and how 2019 is going to go. If this team doesn't want to wash that Virginia game, in the same stadium, out of their minds and do it in a hurry, we could be in trouble. NC has won 5 games combined the last 2 seasons. I don't care who their coach is, we should and need to win this game.

Charleston Southern - Win.

Alabama - Depending on how we looked the first 2 weeks, this game could get a little hype and love. We just need to go out and play our game. We've won far too many Heisman trophies for guys that don't wear the Garnet and Black, but we've also cost a couple the trophy too. Go out and play hard and see where the chips lay.

@ Missouri - Missouri seems to be a 2nd half of the season team. Another thing is if you can punch them in the mouth their fans will leave like the bleachers are on fire. I was there two years ago and when we started controlling the game a little bit, it cleared out in a HURRY! Plus, with Kelly Bryant there, we have to win this one.

Kentucky - Benny Snell has absolutely killed us, but now he's gone. We'll see how good Kentucky is actually going to be or if he was just that good.

@ Georgia - They're losing a lot to the draft this year, so we're going to start to see what kind of coach Smart really is. Of course they've had great recruiting classes, but it's going to be interesting to see how his guys have been developed. Clearly another up hill climb, but will be interesting to see how big of a climb that is.

Florida - I know a lot of you will disagree with me here, but I'm still not sure Florida is back and a front runner in the East. They lost to Kentucky, and got whooped by Georgia and Missouri. Then we all know how our game played out against them. Their best wins were LSU, and Michigan, and yeah, great wins but they're just not consistent at all (sounds familiar).

@ Tennessee - They're a dumpster fire until I see otherwise. A great recruiting class isn't going to magically have them at the top of the conference. Plus, we get them the week after the Bama game so they're probably going to be banged up a bit.

Vanderbilt - See Charleston Southern

App State - I don't care how good of an App State team this is supposed to be, you have to win this game. It's probably going to be a closer game than any of us want, but you can't lose this game if we're making progress as a team and program.

@ Texas A&M - This is another we let slip through our finger tips this season. Just catch the damn ball. We're game 1 of a 3 game stretch of us, at Georgia, and at LSU, but we're getting them after UTSA. If we're having a good season, I like our chance to go play another competitive game with them and see where the chips fall.

Clemson - Cuck Flemson! Similar to Georgia, they're losing a LOT this season. We're going to find out just how "too deep" they really are. They've continued to recruit at a high level, but I don't know that they have 4 more 1st round draft picks to fill back in to the DLine.

2019 is going to be an extremely tough schedule to make it through, but I think we have the team, if we do the 3 things previously mentioned, to use it as a step forward for the program.

UNC, Charleston Southern, Vandy, App State - You have to win all of these.

Missouri, Kentucky, Tenn - I'm only putting Tenn here and not with the top group because it's a road game. Missouri is really only here for Kelly Bryant as well. Out of these 3, I think you have to come out with at least 2 wins. All 3 are beatable, but I think you have to come out with at least 2 of them.

Florida, Texas A&M - Both games were ones that we allowed victory to slip through out hands. I expect both to still be very competitive and we'll have opportunities in the 4th to win these games.

Bama, Georgia, Clemson - Clearly what everyone feels are the 3 toughest games on the schedule, but Bama and Clemson are at home so that should help some. for these games, I want to see us play like we know what the hell we're doing. I think starters wise we have the talent to at least pull one of these off.

I see a path of 7-8 wins with a few questions marks along the way. How healthy and consistent will we be, and how will a few teams far after losing some really big key players on their teams?

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:20 PM   #2
gamecock88
BMF

Male

CockyCash: 3625498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material
Default Re: 2019 Preview

gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:33 PM   #3
Senior Rooster
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 151240000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material
Smile Re: 2019 Preview

"In the 4 spot is a guy that's been with the program and in the system for 4 years."

Who is that, Cack?
Remember I'm old.

Really fine article, by the way.

ON TARGET!!! FIRE FOR EFFECT!!!

Last edited by Senior Rooster; 01-07-2019 at 06:45 PM..
Senior Rooster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:46 PM   #4
lfowens
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 3000
lfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
The National Championship game is tonight, so that means we can officially start talking about 2019 Football (not that it's slowed anyone down anyway).

A lot of fans believe 2019 is make or break for Muschamp and with a poor performance he could be on the hot seat, if not on the way out. To me, the only way he's on the hot seat after 2019 is if we have numerous games that look like the Virginia game, and appears that the team just didn't show up or care to be there. As long as the team is competitive in all of the games, I don't see how anyone is going to justify Muschamp being on the hot seat, other than they just don't like him.

What the roster looks like for 2019

QB - We'll have a 4 year starting Senior that's on the verge of being the greatest QB statically in SC history under center. Behind him we'll have Dak (2nd highest ranked dual threat QB to play at SC), and Hilinski (2nd highest rated QB recruit I believe ever). In the 4 spot is a guy that's been with the program and in the system for 4 years. I honestly don't expect any real challenge for the starting position. I would love to see some packages for Dak. Maybe some redzone packages to give Defenses something extra to look at and think about. I don't know that there's ever been a time that we've had this caliber of QB talent and depth on the team.

RB - We're returning everybody and then some. It's not that this group doesn't have the talent, it's they haven't been consistent. When someone is getting hot, they get hurt and are out for a few weeks. If this group can just get healthy there's no doubt in my mind that Rico and Ty'son could be 1,000 yard rushers, and I'm not sure if given enough carries Turner and Denson wouldn't either. If my memory is correct, I believe Turner walked with Seniors this year, so he may end up being a grad transfer? Behind them we have Fenwick that got some but very limited carries, and Valentine that's going to blow people away in the open field. Then throw in Pickens that I believe we'll use down in goalline yardage. Again, I don't know of a better group of backs that we've ever had. Maybe a better feature back, but not the talent top to bottom like this.

WR - Losing Deebo is going to be a huge blow, but we're almost losing him and getting OrTre ... which isn't a terrible trade. I still fully expect Edwards to return and break or get very close to nearly all of our career receiver records. If we can keep Randrecous and OrTre healthy that will go a long way. Dawkins and Vann have the talent, but need to be more consistent. We'll also need guys to step up like Darius Rush and Chad Terrell. Terrell made some very nice plays in the little playing time that he's had. It's just a consistency for the receivers in 2019. We have the talent.

TE - We're losing a lot in Crosby and August at the TE position. Pollard and Markway looked good this season. Pollard is a swing for the fences kind of guy. He either blew your socks off, or blew the assignment. It's going to be their show, but I think we'll see Traevon Kenion seeing some playing time and Keveon Mullins if he ends up at the TE spot as well. Probably the thinnest position for our Offense going into 2019.

OL - We're going to need a lot of guys to fall in love with the weightroom and grow up REAL quick. We're losing a lot of experience with Blake Camper, Dennis Daley, Malik Young, and of course no bigger loss than Zack Bailey. Wonnum and Donell Stanley are the main returners, but we're going to need Manos to build on the experience he got late in the season. Gwyn keeps being talked about as the strongest guy on the team, so hopefully he can stay healthy and find a place to live on the line. We have a number of really big guys that came in with a lot of potential, but there's not a lot of experience with this group. I like our chances of getting them up to snuff more with Wolf coaching them than any other OL coach we've had in the past few decades.

DL - The story for 2019 across the board is going to be staying healthy. If the front can stay health, we have some really REALLY good talent. Guys coming back like (I realize some of these are the hybrid BUCK) Kinlaw, Wonnum, Keir Thomas, Kobe Smith, and saw some flashes Sterling, Johnson, Fennell, and Enagbare, not to mention Belk and Sandidge that will be special. Of course add Pickens and Anderson to the mix. Also JUCO guys Jahkeem Green and Devontae Davis that will be able to supply depth a lot sooner. We're quickly building the talent and depth we've so desperately been lacking. We have a very nice mix of really big bodies and really long and quick bodies across the board.

LB - The only notable returners are Brunson, Sherrod Greene, Damani Staley, and Rosendo Louis. We're going to be thin here. Ernest Jones is supposed to be a guy that should help out, and Derek Boykins coming in has a lot of excitement around him. We'll just have to wait and see. I see this as being the weak spot for the D in 2019. Not so much from a talent standpoint, but a numbers one.

DB - Call me crazy if you want, but we're damn close to fielding one of the nastiest Defensive Backfields in the nation. Need a little depth, but talent at the top is whoa. From an experience and numbers point, I hope we can get Harvey and Ibe another season. Really didn't get to see enough/any of them in 2018 to determine how much they can bring to the table. Outside of them, we have returning (my opinion) a future All American Jaycee Horn, Israel Mukuamu (just needs to tighten his coverage a bit), Jamel Cook, Jam Williams, and a guy that's going to make people forget the name of Swearinger in R.J. Roderick. Dickerson and Charleston need to eat a couple of cheeseburgers while hanging out in the weight room to be real contributors for 2019. Then we're adding to the mix a potential 5* (hopefully he gets that bump) Cam Smith. There's a few more on the board that could join this class and be potential help as well. I know I'm a broken record, but after 2018 it needs to be said, we have the talent if we can stay healthy.

ST - Charlton and White will be back. Both with all the talent in the world, but still some areas to tweak.

Overall, I think this is by far the most talented team Muschamp has had at Carolina, but I think talent wise at the 1s could rival some of the top Spurrier era teams. The main things for 2019 is stay healthy (still a little thin is some areas), ball control (Offense hold on to it better and Defense get some of those turnovers we were spoiled with the first 2 years), and improve redzone scoring. I think if we can do those 3 things in 2019, we have the chance to take a really difficult schedule and do something nice with it.

Speaking of the schedule ...

(Neutral) UNC - We're going to find out real quick what this team is made of and how 2019 is going to go. If this team doesn't want to wash that Virginia game, in the same stadium, out of their minds and do it in a hurry, we could be in trouble. NC has won 5 games combined the last 2 seasons. I don't care who their coach is, we should and need to win this game.

Charleston Southern - Win.

Alabama - Depending on how we looked the first 2 weeks, this game could get a little hype and love. We just need to go out and play our game. We've won far too many Heisman trophies for guys that don't wear the Garnet and Black, but we've also cost a couple the trophy too. Go out and play hard and see where the chips lay.

@ Missouri - Missouri seems to be a 2nd half of the season team. Another thing is if you can punch them in the mouth their fans will leave like the bleachers are on fire. I was there two years ago and when we started controlling the game a little bit, it cleared out in a HURRY! Plus, with Kelly Bryant there, we have to win this one.

Kentucky - Benny Snell has absolutely killed us, but now he's gone. We'll see how good Kentucky is actually going to be or if he was just that good.

@ Georgia - They're losing a lot to the draft this year, so we're going to start to see what kind of coach Smart really is. Of course they've had great recruiting classes, but it's going to be interesting to see how his guys have been developed. Clearly another up hill climb, but will be interesting to see how big of a climb that is.

Florida - I know a lot of you will disagree with me here, but I'm still not sure Florida is back and a front runner in the East. They lost to Kentucky, and got whooped by Georgia and Missouri. Then we all know how our game played out against them. Their best wins were LSU, and Michigan, and yeah, great wins but they're just not consistent at all (sounds familiar).

@ Tennessee - They're a dumpster fire until I see otherwise. A great recruiting class isn't going to magically have them at the top of the conference. Plus, we get them the week after the Bama game so they're probably going to be banged up a bit.

Vanderbilt - See Charleston Southern

App State - I don't care how good of an App State team this is supposed to be, you have to win this game. It's probably going to be a closer game than any of us want, but you can't lose this game if we're making progress as a team and program.

@ Texas A&M - This is another we let slip through our finger tips this season. Just catch the damn ball. We're game 1 of a 3 game stretch of us, at Georgia, and at LSU, but we're getting them after UTSA. If we're having a good season, I like our chance to go play another competitive game with them and see where the chips fall.

Clemson - Cuck Flemson! Similar to Georgia, they're losing a LOT this season. We're going to find out just how "too deep" they really are. They've continued to recruit at a high level, but I don't know that they have 4 more 1st round draft picks to fill back in to the DLine.

2019 is going to be an extremely tough schedule to make it through, but I think we have the team, if we do the 3 things previously mentioned, to use it as a step forward for the program.

UNC, Charleston Southern, Vandy, App State - You have to win all of these.

Missouri, Kentucky, Tenn - I'm only putting Tenn here and not with the top group because it's a road game. Missouri is really only here for Kelly Bryant as well. Out of these 3, I think you have to come out with at least 2 wins. All 3 are beatable, but I think you have to come out with at least 2 of them.

Florida, Texas A&M - Both games were ones that we allowed victory to slip through out hands. I expect both to still be very competitive and we'll have opportunities in the 4th to win these games.

Bama, Georgia, Clemson - Clearly what everyone feels are the 3 toughest games on the schedule, but Bama and Clemson are at home so that should help some. for these games, I want to see us play like we know what the hell we're doing. I think starters wise we have the talent to at least pull one of these off.

I see a path of 7-8 wins with a few questions marks along the way. How healthy and consistent will we be, and how will a few teams far after losing some really big key players on their teams?
August comes back next year - granted a 6th year - correct?
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 06:49 PM   #5
lfowens
Blue Chip

CockyCash: 3000
lfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPitlfowens rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by lfowens View Post
August comes back next year - granted a 6th year - correct?
Sorry that was Kyle Markaway - not August.
lfowens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 07:10 PM   #6
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

I would love to see a DL with Kinlaw and Wonnum at DE. Belk and Sandidge at DT.

Combine that with Horn, Cam Smith, and Roderick in the secondary and that would be a fun defense to watch.

Last edited by usc1; 01-07-2019 at 07:36 PM..
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:13 PM   #7
GarnetSwarm1990
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5738
GarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot materialGarnetSwarm1990 is USC mascot material

Run defense MUST improve. Period. We've been awful against the run for years now. Gotta see something out if the front.
GarnetSwarm1990 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:23 PM   #8
CockyInTexas
Blast HardCheese

Male

CockyCash: 700
CockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot materialCockyInTexas is USC mascot material

"Barring injuries"

That bowl game was so hideous that I think a lot of us have truly forgotten exactly how far into their depth this team had to go. I agree on so much of the OP, 2018 was a triage unit towards the end of the season.

I'm truly excited to see where the new batch of talent takes this team, how much these young players learn and evolve this offseason, and whether or not the team can play without getting hurt. They can be really good, one of the best I've seen since I've been a fan, but there's going to be some times when they're going to have to be straight up nasty to come out ahead. The coaches need to coach a killer instinct into them.

Barring injuries, this should be a dynamic and talented team... but I'm approaching next season with a "wait and see" mentality.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
CockyInTexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:42 PM   #9
kacrosinsc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 89145
kacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPitkacrosinsc rules the CockPit

I was not a fan of the Muschamp hire. Then nor now. I DO want him to be successful here because if he is it means that we are winning. So, I wish him well, sincerely. But, he has not proven anything good thus far as a HC. I will concede that he is a better than average recruiter. All this said, my own opinion is we should see some sign of improvement in all three fases of the game next year. If not, I think it will be time to move on, if, there is a good proven HC out there we are interested in and who is interested in us.

If we continue to accept sub par performances for the next few years we are just losing ground and it will take even longer for us to be a contender in the SEC. I am so so so tired of us being at best middle of the pack to lower tier. I want more. We as fans deserve more.

Thus far I have seen nothing that I can point to ( other than win record) in the last 3 years that says we are a better football team. Win record alone is not enough. We should be able to see where offense, defense or special teams has shown signs of turning the corner. Defense even with injuries should be solid from a defensive guru. Things there cause me doubt. Such as, our defense can’t tackle worth a damn. Players can’t play their gaps with any discipline. Silly penalties etc etc.

I hope Champ can put it all together. I really do. But, I am doubtful.
kacrosinsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 08:47 PM   #10
Senior Rooster
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 151240000
Senior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot materialSenior Rooster is USC mascot material

"In the 4 spot is a guy that's been with the program and in the system for 4 years."

Who is that, Cack?
Old 01-07-2019, 09:01 PM   #11
GSC2013
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Man I hope 2019 or 2020 arent “make or break” for Muschamp because the schedule the next two years is, by FAR, the hardest 2 year schedule of any team in the nation.

Among our 24 games in 2019/2020:
Alabama
@LSU
Appalachian State
Clemson x2
Georgia x 2
Florida x 2
Texas AM x2
Kentucky x2
Tennessee x2

I mean we need to define “make” in make or break. If we even make a bowl the next two years Id say thats a success. 6-6/7-5 with that slate of games? Thats success, at least in Columbia.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 09:56 PM   #12
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1866792
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Mediocre coach who brings in mediocre recruiting classes. Would be surprised id we win more then 6 next year.
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:15 PM   #13
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
Mediocre coach who brings in mediocre recruiting classes. Would be surprised id we win more then 6 next year.
You do realize that this class has a higher average rating than any of Spurrier's, right?

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #14
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 1866792
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material

Quote:
You do realize that this class has a higher average rating than any of Spurrier's, right?
So? Is Muschamp on Spurrier's level now? Let me know when Muschamp wins anything important.
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:16 PM   #15
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Senior Rooster View Post

Who is that, Cack?
Remember I'm old.

Really fine article, by the way.

ON TARGET!!! FIRE FOR EFFECT!!!
Jay Ulrich

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 01-07-2019, 10:41 PM   #16
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
So? Is Muschamp on Spurrier's level now? Let me know when Muschamp wins anything important.
He's won as much as Spurrier did his first 3 years here despite inheriting a roster in worse shape. It was never going to be a quick rebuild but so far so good.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2019, 10:48 PM   #17
SCohioBoy
Buckle up, BOOM Comin'

Male

CockyCash: 16418
SCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot materialSCohioBoy is USC mascot material

Quote:

Do you add anything of substance outside of stealing recruiting information?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 01-07-2019, 11:01 PM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacrosinsc View Post

Thus far I have seen nothing that I can point to ( other than win record) in the last 3 years that says we are a better football team. Win record alone is not enough. We should be able to see where offense, defense or special teams has shown signs of turning the corner. Defense even with injuries should be solid from a defensive guru. Things there cause me doubt. Such as, our defense can’t tackle worth a damn. Players can’t play their gaps with any discipline. Silly penalties etc etc.

I hope Champ can put it all together. I really do. But, I am doubtful.
Other than win record? What more is there? I want to win first and foremost.

As for specific improvements ... the Offense went from 102 in total yards and 24 points per game to 40th in total yards and 30 points per game.

We played nearly the entire 2nd half with guys that were literally on our practice squad. They're there for a reason. Some of those guys bodies haven't developed to the point they need to be at this level.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:04 PM   #19
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Were you saying Spurrier's classes were mediocre? He won a division title in year 5 with 3 conference losses. I mean, not really banner raising material there.

Quote:
I agree with Cack.
Old 01-07-2019, 11:43 PM   #20
gotrice?
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Were you saying Spurrier's classes were mediocre? He won a division title in year 5 with 3 conference losses. I mean, not really banner raising material there.
Actually it was year 6, I believe year 5 resulted in an ugly Papa John's Bowl loss to UCONN.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote