CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
2k15
TaySC
GAMEKEM
Ironfan
GregoryHouse
thumpin big
COCKYWOOD
Order 66
Three and Out
Dirty Bird
Ty’son Willians to x (2401)
Bianca Cuevas-Moore (644)
Jake Bentley progres (593)
2020 - Vershon Lee (503)
*** USC MBB (9-8, 4- (494)
2019 Preferred Walk (478)
Transfer Portal (443)
2020 - Jerrold Pough (426)
2020 - Jacyais Credl (369)
Tech question (290)
*** USC MBB (9-8, 4-1) vs
2019 Preferred Walk On -
2020- Zykevious Walker
2019 - Shilo Sanders
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
2019 - Jammie Robinson
Muschamp at Carolina and
Unanimous
WBB won't lead the nation
Ty’son Willians to xfer

Old 01-08-2019, 12:16 PM   #1
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material
Default The darkest days

If these aren't the darkest days in our program's history, it's pretty close. In a rivalry that dates back to 1896, the disparity between our programs has has never been greater than it as this moment. We are certainly not the worst we've ever been, far from it. However, Clemson has never been the premier program in college football. Until now. And, note that I said "program" not "team." They've built a juggernaut, and it was on display for all to see in last night's dismantling of Alabama. In our state it's not possible for either team to experience great success without the other team also experiencing hardship.

All of it leaves me wondering: Where do we go from here? Why even bother? Dabo isn't even 50 yet and he's already a hall of fame coach. He's already a more accomplished coach than Steve Spurrier. With his age, there's no reason to believe this thing with Clemson won't go on for another 15-20 years. Him going somewhere else is a pipe dream. The only other comparable job is Bama, and that's now a lateral move for him, at best. Anywhere else would be a downward move.

History has demonstrated that our state simply can't support two nationally relevant programs at the same time (or not for long), and it would seem that's Clemson's meteoric rise has necessarily relegated us to 15-20 years of mediocrity (throw in that we're also recruiting against UGA). We may get 7-8 wins a year but all that will change is the name of the opponents we beat.

Yes, we can hope and be optimistic and just believe, but when you know your ceiling is 8ish wins, it saps the enthusiasm. Reality is that's probably always been our ceiling (barring a fluke year here and there), but Clemson's tremendous success has made the ceiling much harder. I just don't see any hope of us breaking through.

If you watched the game last night, you saw the results of superior recruiting. It was almost like watching a different sport than what our team plays. The level of athleticism was just remarkable. You HAVE to get high 4* and 5* guys and we don't for the most part. We pick up one here and there, and even that will get more difficult with Clemson's ascension to the elite level.

For me, I've always been optimistic. Even after the winless season. Anticipation always grows as the start of the season gets closer and I always end up talking myself into thinking we can be pretty good. But we rarely have. In 126 years of football, we've had 4 dougle-digit win seasons. Now, with Clemson's historic win last night, I feel like my optimism is pretty much drained away. I've always loved college football, and much of that has stemmed from the anticipation of what we might be able to accomplish.

I'm just finding it difficult to see much to be optimistic about at the present moment. I don't envy the task before Mushcamp. He may actually be a good coach, but he's frankly been asked to the do the impossible. It'd be hard enough to maintain success right now with how unbelievable Clemson is, but he's being asked to REBUILD a program while Clemson is the best program in college football. I'm just not seeing it happening.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:18 PM   #2
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1343234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material
Default Re: The darkest days

1-10, and 0-11 doesnt ring a bell?

A lot of folks need to maybe take a break from here...
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:20 PM   #3
SheckWes
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post

Clemson was 6-6 and 3-8 in those years
Old 01-08-2019, 12:22 PM   #4
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1996220
mpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot materialmpilot0705 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by TKE226 View Post

Clemson was pretty terrible back then too which I think took some of the sting out. Also, everyone was excited the second year with Holtz and that team played hard and was competitive in it's games.

At almost any other point in our history fans would be pleased. We have a coach that took us to 3 bowl games in the first three years and had been signing decent recruiting classes. We had that taste of success under Spurrier and now see the team in the upstate being mentioned as a dynasty type program.

I was mad at the staff after the bowl game, but after last night I almost feel a little bad for them. We didn't play another game and I think their seat got a little warmer. Fan enthusiasm is dwindling and that's not good for a program or coaching staff.
Old 01-08-2019, 12:39 PM   #5
rioninusc
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000056
rioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot materialrioninusc is USC mascot material

This is the same for Auburn, FSU, Georgia Tech, and Louisville. The latter really surprised at UKs rise.

You have to find that next great in the college world and pay to keep them. I think that is part of USC thing. USC had great coaches in Beamer, Johnson, and Fitz. We don't know if USC offered the money for them or not. The teams they went back to could be their home, but pay them their worth and see if they stay. BV had a shot at K state this year and stayed. Money can speak if the right amount is given.

At the time we're like oh they are moving up or going to their home team it's ok....No it's not, if a coach is getting us to 11 wins keep them no matter the cost.
rioninusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:50 PM   #6
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Darkest days?

Here's what you need to come to terms with:

Clemson's success and our failures aren't a cause and effect. There were two separate but coincidental rise and fall that leave people frustrated, but does not indicate the direction of our program on the whole. Basically, yeah, Clemson is a dynasty at this point, but that doesn't mean we can't get better and start beating UK and TAMU. And if you regularly beat UK and TAMU, you probably are winning against UT and Mizzou and maybe even UF. Do that, and get a good draw from the west, and even without surpassing Clemson and UGA, we're a 10 win team. At that point, when we have 10 win season, you can start asking why we aren't competing with Clemson. At this juncture, we need to focus on us, build something here, and maybe become a middle tier SEC team again first.

We tore the goal posts down beating New Mexico State, now we're unhappy with a winning season and a bowl game. That's progress even if it isn't the epic win you want.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 12:53 PM   #7
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

CockyCash: 760
Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

I hate football right now
Old 01-08-2019, 12:55 PM   #8
InletCock1989
5th Year Senior

Male

CockyCash: 400
InletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot materialInletCock1989 is USC mascot material

Cuck Flemson
InletCock1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:27 PM   #9
wjmfour1
Recruit

Male

wjmfour1 has feathers coming inwjmfour1 has feathers coming inwjmfour1 has feathers coming in

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
I hate football right now
^^^ This.. I have always looked forward to college football season.. with all that has happened the last few years... I hope to distance myself from it next year. See the highlights. Read the game recap.. I feel bad for my kid who currently attends SC that most likely he will never see a decent win during his 4 years.
wjmfour1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:36 PM   #10
Jack Garnet
Mostly Sarcastic

Male

CockyCash: 5662
Jack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPitJack Garnet rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
There were two separate but coincidental rise and fall that leave people frustrated, but does not indicate the direction of our program on the whole.
I kind of disagree here. When you're competing for recruits it does relate. When they get the best athletes in the area, we don't.
Jack Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:38 PM   #11
ELCID14
Blue Chip

Male

ELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spursELCID14 has earned his spurs

The sky is falling
Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #12
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ELCID14 View Post
The sky is falling
Not “is falling.” It has fallen.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:47 PM   #13
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

I've been a Gamecock for decades and trust me this isn't even close to our "darkest days".
sosfan812 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:48 PM   #14
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
Good. Now it's time to pick up the pieces and start rebuilding.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
I've been a Gamecock for decades and trust me this isn't even close to our "darkest days".
^^^

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #15
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I likewise have been a Gamecock fan for decades. Stand by my original assessment.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:52 PM   #16
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:53 PM   #17
Flameout12
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
I know....
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:55 PM   #18
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

I remember Holtz giving a scholarship to a kid from Irmo, he played qb for them I think, just to get bodies in his recruiting class because we couldn't get anyone else. We rushed the field after beating new mexico state for gods sake. Some of you need to get a grip.
Old 01-08-2019, 01:57 PM   #19
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
I likewise have been a Gamecock fan for decades. Stand by my original assessment.
If you honestly think this is the darkest days then I suggest you hang up your Gamecock fan jersey and move along and retire.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:00 PM   #20
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Garnet View Post
I kind of disagree here. When you're competing for recruits it does relate. When they get the best athletes in the area, we don't.

Can you name all the recruits that we has come down to USC or Clemson?

I'm looking back around 2013 (assuming that is the year the separation based on records happened), and I don't see a lot of names popping out that we were actually ever in the picture for.

Here's something that I think get's overlooked, talking about the senior classes, those 2013, 2014 recruiting classes were good for Clemson, but nationally were around 14-16th. They just had a lot of 4 stars and not a lot of misses--something that we're trying to replicate currently (with less four start unfortunately).
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote