CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #21
sharpe0284
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 300
sharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his combsharpe0284 is developing his comb
Default Re: The darkest days

Who is most likely to be our next president? I saw something about the guy that was an executive with the Panthers and is now a professor. Don't recall his name. Not sure about his total background, but if he has front office NFL experience, that could give us the kick in the pants we need and light a fire under some people that are currently too comfortable in their position.
sharpe0284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #22
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
Can you name all the recruits that we has come down to USC or Clemson?

I'm looking back around 2013 (assuming that is the year the separation based on records happened), and I don't see a lot of names popping out that we were actually ever in the picture for.

Here's something that I think get's overlooked, talking about the senior classes, those 2013, 2014 recruiting classes were good for Clemson, but nationally were around 14-16th. They just had a lot of 4 stars and not a lot of misses--something that we're trying to replicate currently (with less four start unfortunately).
Off the top of my head Mark Fields, John Simpson and XT are the only ones I can recall.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #23
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
I remember Holtz giving a scholarship to a kid from Irmo, he played qb for them I think, just to get bodies in his recruiting class because we couldn't get anyone else. We rushed the field after beating new mexico state for gods sake. Some of you need to get a grip.
I think the issue is that not only did we have a completely mediocre to bad season when we were picked to finish second or maybe even compete for the east, but our hated rival won the national title.

Thatís why more people say that. In those bad 0-11 1-10 years clemson was 3-8 and 6-6
Old 01-08-2019, 02:05 PM   #24
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharpe0284 View Post
Who is most likely to be our next president? I saw something about the guy that was an executive with the Panthers and is now a professor. Don't recall his name. Not sure about his total background, but if he has front office NFL experience, that could give us the kick in the pants we need and light a fire under some people that are currently too comfortable in their position.
I read that the Presidents chief of staff, mick mulvaney, is of interest as is Andrew Card, former chief of staff for Bush.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:08 PM   #25
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 2160
longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Definitely not the darkest days.
longhaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:09 PM   #26
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPit

USC needs to take a lesson from Clemson.At crucial points in their history they have had a group of influential people get together and say this is unacceptable and here's what we need to do to fix it and they set about doing it.Examples are the formation of IPTAY,their response to the whipping Carolina gave them in 75 which led to the 81 Championship,and Carolina's 5 yr win streak which lead to reevaluation of their recruiting and an increased emphasis on recruiting elite lineman.

So what does USC need to do? For starters I'd say up grade the coaching staff by hiring the best coordinators possible and pay what it takes to get them.I don't think Carolina has a bad coaching staff,but if you aspire to compete at the highest level,then what is in place may not be good enough.

Your thoughts?
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:11 PM   #27
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post
I think the issue is that not only did we have a completely mediocre to bad season when we were picked to finish second or maybe even compete for the east, but our hated rival won the national title.

Thatís why more people say that. In those bad 0-11 1-10 years clemson was 3-8 and 6-6
Oh i agree but it's actually us, the Gamecock, fans that got sucked into the media blowing us up as a dark horse. Taking the garnet glasses off anyone could have seen the last season we had quite a few things go our way to get wins. If wasn't like the 2017 team was dominating people. Going into this year who else did the media have to talk about , besides Georgia, in the east? Florida and ut were down and mizzou shouldn't even be in the Sec. We were coming off the 9 win season and the media blew us up and the fans fell for it. This coming preseason will be all about georgia and florida with talk about ut, because of their recruiting class, and we will go back to the less talked about underdogs.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:12 PM   #28
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

longhaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot materiallonghaul is USC mascot material

Quote:

You are probably talking about Danny Morrison. He is one sharp guy for sure. I know he was an AD at TCU and also with Wofford I believe. Saw Mick Mulvaney's name thrown out there today.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:14 PM   #29
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Off the top of my head Mark Fields, John Simpson and XT are the only ones I can recall.

So assuming 25 per class, over 3-4 years, 3-4% of all their recruits?

We also got Belk (sort of) and Pickens.

I'm pissed still about XT, but otherwise I think the recruiting battles and how it hurts us are overhyped. The prior staff just sucked at recognizing and developing middle tier talent.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:18 PM   #30
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Beano Cook View Post
USC needs to take a lesson from Clemson.At crucial points in their history they have had a group of influential people get together and say this is unacceptable and here's what we need to do to fix it and they set about doing it.Examples are the formation of IPTAY,their response to the whipping Carolina gave them in 75 which led to the 81 Championship,and Carolina's 5 yr win streak which lead to reevaluation of their recruiting and an increased emphasis on recruiting elite lineman.

So what does USC need to do? For starters I'd say up grade the coaching staff by hiring the best coordinators possible and pay what it takes to get them.I don't think Carolina has a bad coaching staff,but if you aspire to compete at the highest level,then what is in place may not be good enough.

Your thoughts?
Two trains of thought with our fan base on the coordinator issue.
In camp 1 :
Our DC is best buds with our HC and this is his first school being a coordinator and our OC was given the job to keep from losing him . So both our coordinators are getting "on the job training" in the SEC and they cost less.
In camp 2:
We have two of the youngest brightest up and comers in the nation and this will pay off down the road. This year our defense was a mash unit so the coordinator gets a pass and our offense made huge strides so that is proof our OC hire was the best one.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:23 PM   #31
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Two trains of thought with our fan base on the coordinator issue.
In camp 1 :
Our DC is best buds with our HC and this is his first school being a coordinator and our OC was given the job to keep from losing him . So both our coordinators are getting "on the job training" in the SEC and they cost less.
In camp 2:
We have two of the youngest brightest up and comers in the nation and this will pay off down the road. This year our defense was a mash unit so the coordinator gets a pass and our offense made huge strides so that is proof our OC hire was the best one.
SOS,

I think both of these can be true at the same time.

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:28 PM   #32
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wjmfour1 View Post
^^^ This.. I have always looked forward to college football season.. with all that has happened the last few years... I hope to distance myself from it next year. See the highlights. Read the game recap.. I feel bad for my kid who currently attends SC that most likely he will never see a decent win during his 4 years.
I have a group of friends who used to get together and cookout and watch every home game. Occasionally we would get tickets and go to the game. I tried this year and last year to get us all together to watch games. No one was interested. Now I find myself losing interest. I actually did not watch several games this past season because I was doing yardwork.

Honestly, I think the men's basketball program has a better chance of rising to preeminence than football. I will continue to read, and post about football, but my interest level, along with that of many of my friends, is declining.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:29 PM   #33
Beano Cook
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
Beano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPitBeano Cook rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
SOS,

As I said I don't think either of these guys is a bad coach.But,can they get you to the promised land?
Beano Cook is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:33 PM   #34
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
SOS,

Maybe I toned it down too much. 1 camp says we cant compete because we hired cheap and didn't open the purse while the other camp believes we lucked out by getting 2 future stud coordinators this early in their career.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:50 PM   #35
longhaul
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Maybe I toned it down too much. 1 camp says we cant compete because we hired cheap and didn't open the purse while the other camp believes we lucked out by getting 2 future stud coordinators this early in their career.

The trick will be, if they do turn out to be studs, can we hold onto them? Clemson somehow has found guys that want to hang around and are happy being coordinators, although I think the time is coming where one of the OC will move on, but maybe not.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #36
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
If these aren't the darkest days in our program's history, it's pretty close. In a rivalry that dates back to 1896, the disparity between our programs has has never been greater than it as this moment. We are certainly not the worst we've ever been, far from it. However, Clemson has never been the premier program in college football. Until now. And, note that I said "program" not "team." They've built a juggernaut, and it was on display for all to see in last night's dismantling of Alabama. In our state it's not possible for either team to experience great success without the other team also experiencing hardship.

All of it leaves me wondering: Where do we go from here? Why even bother? Dabo isn't even 50 yet and he's already a hall of fame coach. He's already a more accomplished coach than Steve Spurrier. With his age, there's no reason to believe this thing with Clemson won't go on for another 15-20 years. Him going somewhere else is a pipe dream. The only other comparable job is Bama, and that's now a lateral move for him, at best. Anywhere else would be a downward move.

History has demonstrated that our state simply can't support two nationally relevant programs at the same time (or not for long), and it would seem that's Clemson's meteoric rise has necessarily relegated us to 15-20 years of mediocrity (throw in that we're also recruiting against UGA). We may get 7-8 wins a year but all that will change is the name of the opponents we beat.

Yes, we can hope and be optimistic and just believe, but when you know your ceiling is 8ish wins, it saps the enthusiasm. Reality is that's probably always been our ceiling (barring a fluke year here and there), but Clemson's tremendous success has made the ceiling much harder. I just don't see any hope of us breaking through.

If you watched the game last night, you saw the results of superior recruiting. It was almost like watching a different sport than what our team plays. The level of athleticism was just remarkable. You HAVE to get high 4* and 5* guys and we don't for the most part. We pick up one here and there, and even that will get more difficult with Clemson's ascension to the elite level.

For me, I've always been optimistic. Even after the winless season. Anticipation always grows as the start of the season gets closer and I always end up talking myself into thinking we can be pretty good. But we rarely have. In 126 years of football, we've had 4 dougle-digit win seasons. Now, with Clemson's historic win last night, I feel like my optimism is pretty much drained away. I've always loved college football, and much of that has stemmed from the anticipation of what we might be able to accomplish.

I'm just finding it difficult to see much to be optimistic about at the present moment. I don't envy the task before Mushcamp. He may actually be a good coach, but he's frankly been asked to the do the impossible. It'd be hard enough to maintain success right now with how unbelievable Clemson is, but he's being asked to REBUILD a program while Clemson is the best program in college football. I'm just not seeing it happening.
I hate Clemson winning 2 of the last three national championships, but it is not the darkest days of this football program. If we were going 2-10 every year + Clemson winning two titles, then yes. But we are not. It sucks and I hate it, but it's not the darkest day. We can't control what Clemson does. Plus at the end of the day, it's just football.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #37
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by longhaul View Post
The trick will be, if they do turn out to be studs, can we hold onto them? Clemson somehow has found guys that want to hang around and are happy being coordinators, although I think the time is coming where one of the OC will move on, but maybe not.
Here is the difference. Clempson has a dc that doesn't want to be a hc and is great friends with dabo plus his family now has a clempson student so they have become part of the school. Their co-oc both came up through clempson so that is their family and would take a hc job to make them consider leaving. We, on the other hand, have 2 coordinators with no previous ties to USC and it's basically business for them.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:58 PM   #38
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Danny Morrison. I had a class with him last semester. Great guy, but he would be more likely to be AD than president. He was AD at Wofford and TCU before becoming Panthers president till a few years ago.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:00 PM   #39
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheckWes View Post

But we are not 0-11 and 1-10, so it's not doomsday for our program.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:05 PM   #40
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
But we are not 0-11 and 1-10, so it's not doomsday for our program.
My OP never focused on overall record. In fact, I stated in my second sentence “we are certainly not the worst we’ve ever been” which tells me nobody bothered to read to the second sentence lol (not that anyone should bother, but it does lead to a lot of uninformed responses).
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote