CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-09-2019, 03:52 PM   #81
ACPhilson
Really hates Orange Teams

Male

CockyCash: 899700
ACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot materialACPhilson is USC mascot material
Default Re: The darkest days

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreammachine View Post
Alabama picked a bad time to have it's worst game of the year. Granted Clemson is a pretty good football team and they did put together a great game plan for the N/C, I still think Alabama is a better team if they played a "two out of three contest". In a one game playoff system - anything can happened and last night it was all Clemson.

I can't prove it and most likely ought not to say it, but I did hear Michigan Head Football Coach Bo Shembeclier say" "If you win a National Championship in less than ten years at a school that has not won in many years - then you are cheating". Is Clemson pushing the envelope as far as they can without getting caught, maybe so, but I cannot understand how they can get such great or very good athletes at a school in the middle of nowhere - when Georgia, Alabama, and many other great colleges are after these same young men - with a lot more to offer in terms of being a great college town and Clem&Son still get them???? Just seems to be something out of order here????

I've ben saying this all along. CJ Spiller started it all for Clem$on. He came from a relatively poor family, yet somehow, his Mother and Baby's Mother get a house on Lake Hartwell.

Then you have a D Line that already won a Natty in '16 decide to forego the draft, most of which were 1st round and some high second round guys, passing on millions of dollars, to come back and play one more year, risking major injury?

Then you have pics of Watson walking around campus with a $1200 Gucci Back Pack...

Then pics of their plays flashing crazy amounts of money in front of cameras...sure, their mom works for a company that empty's out ATM machines...sure...

Then you have pics of guys test driving $100K plus cars...wonder how long they test drive those cars for?

Thing is, Clem$on is the darling of the media now, so the NCAA won't lift a finger to touch them. Clem$on winning is good for CFB, so it's not just Alabama at the top. There is no way in hell the NCAA is going to investigate anything at that school. They are like North Carolina is in Basketball now. With that shellacking of Alabama, they have become untouchable. Plain and Simple.

We on the other hand, if we try that shit, with our contributions to over all Sports in the last one hundred years, we won't get away with it. The NCAA would bury South Carolina if we tried to cheat the way Clem$on does in Football.

https://i.imgur.com/oXRPWTA.gif
ACPhilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 03:59 PM   #82
Ace Dilcock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 128944
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
A major change would have to happen to their coaching staff for them to come back down to earth(Dabo or Venables leave) anytime soon. And I donít see that happening. The way they recruit, they reload guys leaving/graduating with other 4-5 star players.
Alabama, UGA and others recruit better, have more talent and Alabama (at least) has better coaching. Saban will use the embarrassing loss to motivate his team in the offseason and he will address the weak areas that Clemson exposed. It is what he does and why he wins so many titles.

Clemson did have a fall-off when Watson and company left, but you can still go undefeated and make the playoffs if you are in the ACC. They will come back to earth a little next year - the D Line was the strength of their Defense, and they will lose something there even if the Offense is very good (and it will be). It is very unusual to have so many talented guys come back for another year just to win a title, but they did that.

We just need to worry about us getting better. Keep recruiting and developing players. We get a lot of guys coming back from injury. And we should have our own motivation after the UVA embarrassment.

"PFW79 was right."
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 04:46 PM   #83
Lankey62
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3218
Lankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Dilcock View Post
Alabama, UGA and others recruit better, have more talent and Alabama (at least) has better coaching. Saban will use the embarrassing loss to motivate his team in the offseason and he will address the weak areas that Clemson exposed. It is what he does and why he wins so many titles.

Clemson did have a fall-off when Watson and company left, but you can still go undefeated and make the playoffs if you are in the ACC. They will come back to earth a little next year - the D Line was the strength of their Defense, and they will lose something there even if the Offense is very good (and it will be). It is very unusual to have so many talented guys come back for another year just to win a title, but they did that.

We just need to worry about us getting better. Keep recruiting and developing players. We get a lot of guys coming back from injury. And we should have our own motivation after the UVA embarrassment.

"PFW79 was right."
Does it even matter if they have a fall-off though? Right now their toughest opponent is Syracuse. They can cruise into the playoffs every year for the foreseeable future.

Even this year, I knew that they just needed one game for everything to go right and they would win the National Championship.
Lankey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 07:13 PM   #84
Curt Geezus
Retiring at 4,000

Male

CockyCash: 101252
Curt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot materialCurt Geezus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post
I've ben saying this all along. CJ Spiller started it all for Clem$on. He came from a relatively poor family, yet somehow, his Mother and Baby's Mother get a house on Lake Hartwell.

Then you have a D Line that already won a Natty in '16 decide to forego the draft, most of which were 1st round and some high second round guys, passing on millions of dollars, to come back and play one more year, risking major injury?

Then you have pics of Watson walking around campus with a $1200 Gucci Back Pack...

Then pics of their plays flashing crazy amounts of money in front of cameras...sure, their mom works for a company that empty's out ATM machines...sure...

Then you have pics of guys test driving $100K plus cars...wonder how long they test drive those cars for?

Thing is, Clem$on is the darling of the media now, so the NCAA won't lift a finger to touch them. Clem$on winning is good for CFB, so it's not just Alabama at the top. There is no way in hell the NCAA is going to investigate anything at that school. They are like North Carolina is in Basketball now. With that shellacking of Alabama, they have become untouchable. Plain and Simple.

We on the other hand, if we try that shit, with our contributions to over all Sports in the last one hundred years, we won't get away with it. The NCAA would bury South Carolina if we tried to cheat the way Clem$on does in Football.
Makes you wonder how Carolina got Clowney and Lattimore instead of Clemson, during that same period.
Old 01-09-2019, 08:17 PM   #85
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curt Geezus View Post
Makes you wonder how Carolina got Clowney and Lattimore instead of Clemson, during that same period.
They both were raised right and have integrity.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2019, 08:47 PM   #86
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

Quote:
We busted out the check books that we’ve been broke ever since (as you can see from our record)
Old 01-10-2019, 08:02 AM   #87
Twigg
Walk On

Male

Twigg has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by ACPhilson View Post

So what you're saying is if we get caught we will relegated to the bottom of college football? Have we not been there almost our entire history? What have we got to loose? If anybody thinks that we don't attempt to pay to get recruits they are very naive. Clowney didn't just show up because he liked the school colors. Clemson made a full scale commitment after we beat their asses 5 years in a row to get to the top. We better do the same or it will be the same outcome every year.
Twigg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2019, 09:55 AM   #88
SheckWes
Blue Chip

Male

SheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPitSheckWes rules the CockPit

I don’t think the NCAA would do much.
Look at Ole Miss, they got caught and it was basically a slap on the wrist
Old 01-13-2019, 12:58 AM   #89
WeDemBoyz
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 5500
WeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his combWeDemBoyz is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
If these aren't the darkest days in our program's history, it's pretty close. In a rivalry that dates back to 1896, the disparity between our programs has has never been greater than it as this moment. We are certainly not the worst we've ever been, far from it. However, Clemson has never been the premier program in college football. Until now. And, note that I said "program" not "team." They've built a juggernaut, and it was on display for all to see in last night's dismantling of Alabama. In our state it's not possible for either team to experience great success without the other team also experiencing hardship.

All of it leaves me wondering: Where do we go from here? Why even bother? Dabo isn't even 50 yet and he's already a hall of fame coach. He's already a more accomplished coach than Steve Spurrier. With his age, there's no reason to believe this thing with Clemson won't go on for another 15-20 years. Him going somewhere else is a pipe dream. The only other comparable job is Bama, and that's now a lateral move for him, at best. Anywhere else would be a downward move.

History has demonstrated that our state simply can't support two nationally relevant programs at the same time (or not for long), and it would seem that's Clemson's meteoric rise has necessarily relegated us to 15-20 years of mediocrity (throw in that we're also recruiting against UGA). We may get 7-8 wins a year but all that will change is the name of the opponents we beat.

Yes, we can hope and be optimistic and just believe, but when you know your ceiling is 8ish wins, it saps the enthusiasm. Reality is that's probably always been our ceiling (barring a fluke year here and there), but Clemson's tremendous success has made the ceiling much harder. I just don't see any hope of us breaking through.

If you watched the game last night, you saw the results of superior recruiting. It was almost like watching a different sport than what our team plays. The level of athleticism was just remarkable. You HAVE to get high 4* and 5* guys and we don't for the most part. We pick up one here and there, and even that will get more difficult with Clemson's ascension to the elite level.

For me, I've always been optimistic. Even after the winless season. Anticipation always grows as the start of the season gets closer and I always end up talking myself into thinking we can be pretty good. But we rarely have. In 126 years of football, we've had 4 dougle-digit win seasons. Now, with Clemson's historic win last night, I feel like my optimism is pretty much drained away. I've always loved college football, and much of that has stemmed from the anticipation of what we might be able to accomplish.

I'm just finding it difficult to see much to be optimistic about at the present moment. I don't envy the task before Mushcamp. He may actually be a good coach, but he's frankly been asked to the do the impossible. It'd be hard enough to maintain success right now with how unbelievable Clemson is, but he's being asked to REBUILD a program while Clemson is the best program in college football. I'm just not seeing it happening.
You sound like a troll that calls in to 107.5
WeDemBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:34 AM   #90
jch81
Starter

Male

jch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrED View Post
LOL. I just think people see one game and jump to conclusions. Clemson is on a good run. They have a great QB but their line is gone. Maybe they will be just as good but probably gonna take a hit on defense. We are trending up, they may be able to keep at this level for a few more years but they will come back to earth. This is just how college football works.

All I know is that we ran up over 600 yards against them and we will have a better offense next year and a MUCH improved defense. I could care less about what they did against BAMA.
Todd Ellis? Is that you? Is Clemson still cycling out? 😂😂😂
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 07:37 AM   #91
jch81
Starter

Male

jch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot materialjch81 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Some way some how the state of S.C. went on a run where there was unprecedented top national
talent within the state. South Carolina took advantage of that and the fact most of that top talent were gamecock fans growing up.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:35 AM   #92
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jch81 View Post
Some way some how the state of S.C. went on a run where there was unprecedented top national
talent within the state. South Carolina took advantage of that and the fact most of that top talent were gamecock fans growing up.
And didn't either one or both of them have someone close already attending USC?
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2019, 08:38 AM   #93
GamecockInHell
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1802785
GamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot materialGamecockInHell is USC mascot material

I have no doubt that they are cheating, just like Bama, Auburn, UT, UGA, etc. Some are better than others at it, but it just seems that anyone who has ever been through Bama is better at it than the rest.
GamecockInHell is offline   Reply With Quote