CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
thekob
RGHoskins
Captain9Dragons
MountainCock
Wisercock
TastyLicks
Gamecockman12
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
Spur's Addiction
OKST MBB dismisses t (594)
Gamecock Baseball Fa (237)
400 evacuated after (205)
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4- (132)
Total lunar eclipse (43)
*** #15 UofSC WBB (12-4,
Coaching changes
*** USC MBB (9-7, 4-0) @
I wonder if Muschamp and
How Good Can Frank's Team
*** UofSC MBB (8-7, 3-0)
CBB: GAMECOCKS @ COMMODOR
Cannot navigate Gamecocks
No longer USC
OKST MBB dismisses three

Old 01-08-2019, 01:45 PM   #1
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 2001
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material
Default Championships Start Here.

Right here

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 01:50 PM   #2
gAmkok
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4000
gAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot materialgAmkok is USC mascot material
Default Re: Championships Start Here.

I like what you're saying, but classes ranked 10th-12th in the conference every year won't start many championships
gAmkok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:10 PM   #3
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Start. There's a reason he said start. I don't get this thought that we should be 3-8 and look like a complete joke of a team, have a coach dip out mid season, have by all accounts at least half a roster that shouldn't even be playing SEC football, and somehow three years later be ranking amongst elite teams?

Muschamp is doing what needs to be done with what we have--stocking the cabinet, hoping that most important positions (OL, DL, QBs) are competitive, and filling in gaps when the talent makes itself available.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:20 PM   #4
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post
Start. There's a reason he said start. I don't get this thought that we should be 3-8 and look like a complete joke of a team, have a coach dip out mid season, have by all accounts at least half a roster that shouldn't even be playing SEC football, and somehow three years later be ranking amongst elite teams?

Muschamp is doing what needs to be done with what we have--stocking the cabinet, hoping that most important positions (OL, DL, QBs) are competitive, and filling in gaps when the talent makes itself available.
BBG,

I'm liking your posts more and more recently.

But there's more to it than that. It's the idea of controlling what you can control (not that we as fans control any of it). We can't control what other teams do, the players they have, how the train, etc. All we can do is make OUR program better. That starts with recruiting.

Go Gamecocks.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:27 PM   #5
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5500
sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

We saw our future in the two high school all star games. Pickens was one of the top 4 performers at the ua game, in which he was often doubled team in the game, and Cam was observed as one of , if not the best, corner backs in the aa game. Along with Cam, in the aa game, our QB recruit, Hilinski, finished as one of the top 2 QB during the practice week. If you want to look for any positives and hope for our program then start right here. 3 of our recruits are also 3 of the best in the nation.

For all those that say Muschamp isn't bringing in any elite talent then explain the above.
sosfan812 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:37 PM   #6
gamecock88
BMF

Male

CockyCash: 3625498
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
We saw our future in the two high school all star games. Pickens was one of the top 4 performers at the ua game, in which he was often doubled team in the game, and Cam was observed as one of , if not the best, corner backs in the aa game. Along with Cam, in the aa game, our QB recruit, Hilinski, finished as one of the top 2 QB during the practice week. If you want to look for any positives and hope for our program then start right here. 3 of our recruits are also 3 of the best in the nation.

For all those that say Muschamp isn't bringing in any elite talent then explain the above.

I don't think anyone can honestly say that Muschamp isn't bringing in any talent. The issue is the lack of talent across the board and QUALITY depth around that talent. That's where the other schools and many in our division are out pacing Muschamp's efforts. He also has to consistently get these types of players to build that depth. That's in question as well.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:42 PM   #7
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

sosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot materialsosfan812 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
I don't think anyone can honestly say that Muschamp isn't bringing in any talent. The issue is the lack of talent across the board and QUALITY depth around that talent. That's where the other schools and many in our division are out pacing Muschamp's efforts. He also has to consistently get these types of players to build that depth. That's in question as well.
He had to basically turn over the whole squad and is just now in position to start building quality depth. Don't look at the team rankings look at the quality rankings. You can see this staff is building on the success of the past couple of classes.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:48 PM   #8
2k15
Music Lover

Male

CockyCash: 2016201620162000
2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material2k15 is USC mascot material

Looking at the Proving grounds depresses me lately. I go over there to learn about a new highly touted recruit we have a shot at, and we always end up losing them to a big dog like UF or UGA, or they're academically ineligible and they go to Tennessee. Over and over and over.

What happened to flipper? Has he flipped even one big fish since he's been here?

Sorry guys, the way other programs are recruiting around us, I don't see any kind of championship anytime soon.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #9
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5533
CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by BringBackGarcia View Post

I agree with all of this. However, I disagree with your position stated elsewhere that Clemsonís success has little impact on us. I think we ARE intertwined as programs to a large degree. Perception is reality and Clemsonís success affects the perception of our program.

Clemson and UGA will, for the most part, pick up the few elite recruits in the area and then turn their attention nationwide. We arenít geting any studs out of Georgia anytime soon. Clemson has owned Florida, relative to us, in recent years.

I just donít see a way around the reality that Clemsonís win last night hurts us.
CockNJersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:51 PM   #10
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sosfan812 View Post
Don't look at the team rankings look at the quality rankings.
Hey SOS can you point us to those? Thx.

Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #11
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot materialCockNJersey is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k15 View Post
Looking at the Proving grounds depresses me lately. I go over there to learn about a new highly touted recruit we have a shot at, and we always end up losing them to a big dog like UF or UGA, or they're academically ineligible and they go to Tennessee. Over and over and over.

What happened to flipper? Has he flipped even one big fish since he's been here?

Sorry guys, the way other programs are recruiting around us, I don't see any kind of championship anytime soon.
We do make a lot of guys top 5 or 10 it seems.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:52 PM   #12
wincocks84
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

It starts with this incoming class of recruits. This *should* be the class that moves the ball forward a bit.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 02:55 PM   #13
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post

2016 Muschamp comes in a signs 24 guys, 25th ranked class overall.

In there are: Bentley, Rico, Edwards, King, Keir Thomas, Kiel Pollard, Davis, TJ Brunson, Wonnum, Huctherson

avg rating 0.86

2017 25, 21st ranked class

Notable: Shi and Ortre, Jam, Kinlaw, Sterling, Nixon, Dickerson

2018 20 enrollee, 18th ranked

Almost all contributing now: Sandidge, Vann, Wonnum, Horn, etc.

2019 pending.

So without knowing about this class, and even considering that first one that he wanted to just keep together, we have 69 plus whatever he signs this year of his guys. Really more like 45 (not counting all the 2016 class). Of those, probably over half are already seeing a lot of time.

One more thing, assuming depth is a solid two deep, you want 44 guys. If you like a 'hit' rate of 75% which is crazy, you still need 60 enrollees. If you assume 50% you need 90. That's not including time to develop. We should ask such a high number of Freshman to contribute year one.

Basically, I'm saying it'll take 5 cycles at least to judge depth. Like it or not, that's two more classes on top of the guys coming in.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:56 PM   #14
CockNJersey
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
It starts with this incoming class of recruits. This *should* be the class that moves the ball forward a bit.
As bleak as things look to me, the one thing I’m hanging my hat on is Hilinski. Jake just isn’t going to morph into a big game QB in his last season. As Nick Saban pointed out in his post-game last night, it’s not a stretch these days for freshman QBs to have an immediate impact these days. It’s fairly common actually. Maybe Ryan can be that guy for us. Maybe not. If he’s not, we’re screwed for the near future.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:57 PM   #15
BringBackGarcia
Starter

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post
I agree with all of this. However, I disagree with your position stated elsewhere that Clemsonís success has little impact on us. I think we ARE intertwined as programs to a large degree. Perception is reality and Clemsonís success affects the perception of our program.

Clemson and UGA will, for the most part, pick up the few elite recruits in the area and then turn their attention nationwide. We arenít geting any studs out of Georgia anytime soon. Clemson has owned Florida, relative to us, in recent years.

I just donít see a way around the reality that Clemsonís win last night hurts us.

You've got to walk before you crawl.

When we are in the top 10 rankings for 5 years, then yes, Clemson's success may impact us, but right now we are going after two different classes of recruits. It may have a bearing with one or two guys per class, but by and large it isn't a Clemson/USC battle right now. More like a USC/UT or UF or middle tier SEC team/ACC team.
Old 01-08-2019, 02:59 PM   #16
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gAmkok View Post
I like what you're saying, but classes ranked 10th-12th in the conference every year won't start many championships
This ^^^^^^^ and the fact that we play clemsux every year is tough. We will have to cheat to win big...cheat big time and that's not going to happen.
superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:03 PM   #17
sosfan812
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Hey SOS can you point us to those? Thx.
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour...xezKLBGqIY3gAl

As you can see our team ranking is 21st but if you look at the avg player ranking we are better than the 13th ranked team.
Using the avg player ranking our team would go from 21st to tied with Tenn at 16th.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:24 PM   #18
spencerj1537
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 1021520
spencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his combspencerj1537 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockNJersey View Post

Agreed 100%. Tough to recruit when little brother up the road is winning National Championships and UGA isn't far behind and to make matters worse Florida on a quick rise and Tennessee following quickly behind.
Old 01-08-2019, 03:28 PM   #19
Lankey62
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3218
Lankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spursLankey62 has earned his spurs

Honestly, screw doing things the "right way." Pay whatever you have to pay to these recruits and get them here! Lord knows everyone around us is doing it, so why don't we?
Lankey62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2019, 03:32 PM   #20
BiscoCocky
Blue Chip

Male

BiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot materialBiscoCocky is USC mascot material

I see a lot of “well we’re improving on recruiting trail”. Which is better than failing outright, but just a reminder Muschamp ain’t the coach that Spurrierr was. So we can’t expect to win anymore than 8 games with top 20 classes. Hate to be a pessimist (or an actual realist/Tater fan according to sunshine pumpers) but even if we do somehow get top 10 classes that might not be a cure all. Our current coach had a couple of top 3 classes at UF and was gone in under 5 years. Quite honestly until champ proves he can beat the big boys uga/UF/Clemson we’re stuck at 8-9 wins tops (and those will be schedule dependent wins).
BiscoCocky is offline   Reply With Quote