CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
6pack
SanAntonioCock
EAtMoRTaYtErz
FanofCarolina1
scfanz
Blitzkrieg
FurmanCock
RGHoskins
SwampFox
2017 Gamecocks Offen (776)
D. English & M.L (768)
4 new transfers sear (681)
eclipse fly over (432)
Bad luck that surrou (298)
110 out of 111 playe (232)
Favorite non-Gamecoc (91)
Western nation's see (71)
CONNOR SHAW DISCUSSION TH
Favorite non-Gamecock Coa
2018 - Kingsley Enagbare
110 out of 111 players te
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2017 Gamecocks Offensive
First home game, under th
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
Bad luck that surrounds S

Old 08-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #21
803scdantes
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material803scdantes is USC mascot material
Default Re: 107.5 is terrible

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I want to jump in on this...afternoons are usually decent and sometimes pretty good. The morning show has to be the bottom of the lineup. Cannot stand the amateur hour stuff they are doing. There seems to be no plan, no rehearsals, and barely any sports. The only halfway decent thing they do is replay interviews from other journalists. Even their guests are usually high school coaches and that's about it except for Scott Hood, who I can also barely listen to. He is like listening to the mushmouth car talk people from npr. Plus, offers up nothing that I didn't read on cockytalk over 24 hours ago. Benji is awful as a front man; talks over everyone, the transitions are awful, and has to be one of the most unfunny people on radio.
This is basically exactly why I hate the morning show. I only REALLY wanted to listen to Benji's reaction after Carolina beat down Clemsux the 3rd time in a row and he was OFF that day. The morning show is trash.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:49 PM   #22
Nureye
White helmets rule

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterboy View Post
People here have obviously never listened to wccp sideshow we have up here. U want amateur hour u can get it all day. Strangely the biggest homer Philpott has the best show up here. Will agree the games morning show is pretty bad but to have dp show jay Phillips and heath Cline are all pretty good.

I've listened to them, and it's stations like WCCP that make me really appreciate what we have with 107.5 the game.

Although, I actually love listening to WCCP... about once a year. Usually, the Monday after Thanksgiving. Fantastic programming on that day.
Old 08-07-2014, 02:56 PM   #23
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 0
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Is this the same Benji who used to do the "Breakfast with Benji" morning show on the Columbia Classic Rock Station (Fox102) about 20 years or so ago?
Old 08-07-2014, 03:01 PM   #24
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

I agree with everyone that the morning show is just downright terrible. The constant commercials make it even worse. I know they have to pay the bills but damn it is pretty ridiculous the amount of commercials and advertising the morning show has. I like Jay and Michaels show but they seem to get off topic from sports and talk about other stuff mainly music all the damn time. When they are on topic the show is fine and I really enjoy it but I bet if you broke down their topics I bet you would find they talk about music at least 3 hours a week. Heath is by far the best sports talk personality we have on the radio in this state. He is well informed and you can tell he takes the time to research out the topics he is going to talk about for that days show and has a good plan. I hope we can hang on to him with his wife Mandy doing sports up in the triangle now.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:08 PM   #25
raptorcox
Insert Witty Custom Title

Male

CockyCash: 1100
raptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPitraptorcox rules the CockPit
Send a message via Yahoo to raptorcox

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Is this the same Benji who used to do the "Breakfast with Benji" morning show on the Columbia Classic Rock Station (Fox102) about 20 years or so ago?
The very same

Sent from my SCH-S720C using Tapatalk 2

raptorcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:16 PM   #26
KJHillis
Champ

Male

CockyCash: 500
KJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudly

I think everyone has covered it.

Morning show- (I am sorry if some of them read this). Nothing personal, but it's bad. Tommy is good during baseball season, but there is no rocking the boat on that show.

Lunch-Brent Johnson is great local personality and is more fan than analyst. I don't look for insight when I tune in, but Todd Ellis is good to hear during the season.

"Halftime"- It's good. I think we're pretty lucky to have Jay Philips. He's lived here forever, so he provides a good point of view and seems to be pretty level-headed. He loves to go on rant; however, they're never edgy even though he may give that impression.

"Gametime"- Heath is great. We will lose him soon. He is too good for this market. He knows tons of people, does a ton of research, and sees through the BS. I can tell the bumpkins that call in irritate him to no end, and he is not afraid of making those callers look foolish.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:17 PM   #27
Jim Lahey
I am the liquor

Male

Jim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot materialJim Lahey is USC mascot material

Heath Cline is the only guy worth listening to. The morning show may be the worst "sports talk radio" in the USA. Jay and Michael just ramble on about the same damn topic or two, for 3 hours.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:22 PM   #28
COCKDIESEL
Could've been a Contender

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 57380000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Bring back Rich Taylor and Mike Morgan!! Although when 107.5 first started I remember tons of people telling everyone that they couldn't listen to Rich Taylor anymore because of the constant commercials and they now only listened to 107.5.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:25 PM   #29
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
I agree with everyone that the morning show is just downright terrible. The constant commercials make it even worse. I know they have to pay the bills but damn it is pretty ridiculous the amount of commercials and advertising the morning show has.
Fire someone and drop 3 or 4 ads...problem solved.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:28 PM   #30
SAETerrier
Habitual Line-Stepper

Male

SAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot materialSAETerrier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Lahey View Post
Heath Cline is the only guy worth listening to. The morning show may be the worst "sports talk radio" in the USA. Jay and Michael just ramble on about the same damn topic or two, for 3 hours.
Agree 100%. Heath's show is the best by far. I'll also listen from 9-12 for the DP show.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:29 PM   #31
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I pretty much listen only to Gametime. Heath's knowledgeable, has interesting guests, and is entertaining. I like that Michael can provide a somewhat homerish perspective on certain things and is reasonably objective otherwise. Pretty good pairing imo.

I don't dislike Jay and Michael's show, I'm just hardly ever able to listen to it. I'll catch occasional snippets on my lunch break, but radio reception at work is horrible and we're not allowed to stream media.

Like others, I refuse to listen to the morning show on my drive to work. That time has become reserved for the Lithium channel on Sirius.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #32
peterlemon
Bowl MVP

Male

peterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot material

I have been listening to sports talk shows here in Columbia almost daily for ten years and I have to say Jay Philips is the worst radio host I have heard in the last decade. It is amazing to me that he is able to keep his job with his constant rambling and use of the same cliches over and over. Cary Rich and Eric G are better than listening to that show in my opinion and that says a lot. I wish the Matt and Tim Show was still on, but Matt moved on up the chain and is on ESPN now.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:38 PM   #33
B-G
Banned

Male

B-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot materialB-G is USC mascot material

I prefer the national radio shows.

Also will admit, Sports Radio up here Dwarfs that of Cola (in terms of the quality), but they basically dont talk about college sports at all.
B-G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:43 PM   #34
Spurrier 'Em
Recruit

Male

Spurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudlySpurrier 'Em is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
Bring back Rich Taylor and Mike Morgan!! Although when 107.5 first started I remember tons of people telling everyone that they couldn't listen to Rich Taylor anymore because of the constant commercials and they now only listened to 107.5.
Mike Morgan has gone on to bigger and better things. I miss him, but he's gone. As for RT...come on. He was awful. Half of his show was him telling you "check out Manju Manju. Jennifer and Allison will take great care of you. They have blah blah blah blah...." All he did was self serving restaurant and bar plugs so he could eat and and drink for free. In the 10 minutes per show he spoke about Carolina it was good, but the other 90% was pretty hard to listen to.

Now as for 107.5. The morning show is bad, real bad. They talk very very little sports, tons of commercials and lots of talking over one another. After that the lineup gets much better. Jay Phillips is great, Michael Haney does a good job and Heath Kline is the most knowledgeable and level headed host I've heard in the area. All in all, 107.5 does a great job with what they have
Old 08-07-2014, 03:47 PM   #35
75CarolinaFan
Gatorade Poster of d Year

Male

CockyCash: 100200
75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Sports talk radio nowadays is broken and I very rarely ever listen. The only time is if I happen to flip through the channels and an interview with a coach is going on. There are 2 basic types and both are annoying. Either the host is a wannabe Jim Rome shock jock who constantly exaggerates perceived negatives about the program to the point they are even willing to lie about amateur athletes(1400am "Alshon was arrested") or self-absorbed hosts that go on and on with their own opinions on boring topics that only a few people even disagree but they still feel the need to rant(107.5, the entire afternoon lineup).

It would be great if Columbia could have at least 1 show that provided the latest sports news on Carolina(even a little clem5on news) and revolved around callers talking about local sports and the host was mainly a moderator that didn't feel the need to bash the Gamecocks in order to prove he's "not a homer." At this point I don't see anything that's even remotely close to that so I'll just continue to frequent message boards like CockyTalk since it's the closest thing to what I described.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #36
iplan
Walk On

Male

iplan is making other chickens nervousiplan is making other chickens nervousiplan is making other chickens nervousiplan is making other chickens nervousiplan is making other chickens nervousiplan is making other chickens nervousiplan is making other chickens nervous

Quote:
Originally Posted by COCKDIESEL View Post
The best sports show was Jay Phillips and Mike Morgan's show on am1400.... they had lots of chemistry did great interviews and had a good time. When 107.5 launched they split them up so that they had their own shows.... this was a mistake in my mind..... then Mike became critical of Darren Horn and got fired.... Losing Mike Morgan was a huge loss - no offence to Andy Demetra.

Id love to see Mike and Jay together again in the afternoons with Heath's impeccible show for drivetime.
iplan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 03:48 PM   #37
75CarolinaFan

Male

75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material75CarolinaFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-G View Post
but they basically dont talk about college sports at all.
Then that's the lowest quality possible.
Old 08-07-2014, 03:50 PM   #38
75CarolinaFan

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by peterlemon View Post
I have been listening to sports talk shows here in Columbia almost daily for ten years and I have to say Jay Philips is the worst radio host I have heard in the last decade. It is amazing to me that he is able to keep his job with his constant rambling and use of the same cliches over and over. Cary Rich and Eric G are better than listening to that show in my opinion and that says a lot. I wish the Matt and Tim Show was still on, but Matt moved on up the chain and is on ESPN now.
To that end...
Old 08-07-2014, 04:07 PM   #39
jrussjr
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1236000000
jrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot materialjrussjr is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJHillis View Post
I think everyone has covered it.

Morning show- (I am sorry if some of them read this). Nothing personal, but it's bad. Tommy is good during baseball season, but there is no rocking the boat on that show.

Lunch-Brent Johnson is great local personality and is more fan than analyst. I don't look for insight when I tune in, but Todd Ellis is good to hear during the season.

"Halftime"- It's good. I think we're pretty lucky to have Jay Philips. He's lived here forever, so he provides a good point of view and seems to be pretty level-headed. He loves to go on rant; however, they're never edgy even though he may give that impression.

"Gametime"- Heath is great. We will lose him soon. He is too good for this market. He knows tons of people, does a ton of research, and sees through the BS. I can tell the bumpkins that call in irritate him to no end, and he is not afraid of making those callers look foolish.
Yep, I think you have summed up my feelings; however, being from the northeastern part of the state I don't have much options. I used to listen to 100.1 The Fan out of Lake City until they switched to CBS or Fox Sports radio from ESPN (I really enjoyed "Mike & Mike"); now they have stuff on that The Game would be ashamed of....."That's Racing" LMBO!! Thus, I listen to The Game by default and they usually talk Gamecock sports which, for me, is a BIG +!
jrussjr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2014, 04:28 PM   #40
KJHillis
Champ

Male

KJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudlyKJHillis is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by 75CarolinaFan View Post
To that end...
For lack of a better way to put it...