CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
Blitzkrieg
Spur's Addiction
The Yancey
Canefaninsc
SanAntonioCock
TaySC
Ace Dilcock
MountainCock
kick_ball
NFL TV Partners Set (819)
Brad Crawford from 2 (772)
24 in the CFP rankin (606)
Funny story from my (467)
MLB Hammers the Atla (352)
The Best Christmas M (115)
2 Tickets in 501 but (36)
NFL TV Partners Set to Lo
I hope Jamarcus King has
2018 - Dorian Gerald
Clemson
2018 NCAA Tournament Brac
WCBB: South Carolina @ Ma
Clemson opponents avg rec
#114 in Total Offense
Dear Muschamp: Not 4 In
24 in the CFP rankings

Old 05-20-2017, 01:53 PM   #1
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material
Default Lindy's and Athlon's are out. Major disrespect for Gamecocks.

I looked through both. Bentley wasn't in the top 25 qbs in the country in one section. One mag listed the top 8 qbs in the SEC, and Bently wasn't listed. One of the mag's noted that if things go well for us, we could crack the top 40. Also, one of the comments from an opposing coach said that our recruiting on the OL and DB was horrible and was like what Wake Forest would have. Ok, I actually agree with that part. Our RB ranking in the SEC was really low too. No respect for the trio of Dowdle, Turner and Williams.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:26 PM   #2
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 11967
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Lindy's and Athlon's are out. Major disrespect for Gamecocks.

Athlon's and Lindy's are pretty bad, they just go with the previous year's results and shift the teams around a few spots. Plus they are published on slick paper and are not even good to use if you run out of TP.

I think we will fare better with Phil Steele, who actually does a little research and scratches below the surface a little. He will give some props to Bentley and the RBs. I also think he will pick a win total above the 5.5 number from Vegas.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 06:30 PM   #3
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Noticed both of them were in stores this week, but didn't look. Not surprising that they didn't have high hopes for the Gamecocks. I'll wait for Phil Steele, as he does extensive research on all teams, and is usually pretty close at getting it right.
Old 05-20-2017, 07:22 PM   #4
GSC2013
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
GSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot materialGSC2013 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I looked through both. Bentley wasn't in the top 25 qbs in the country in one section. One mag listed the top 8 qbs in the SEC, and Bently wasn't listed. One of the mag's noted that if things go well for us, we could crack the top 40. Also, one of the comments from an opposing coach said that our recruiting on the OL and DB was horrible and was like what Wake Forest would have. Ok, I actually agree with that part. Our RB ranking in the SEC was really low too. No respect for the trio of Dowdle, Turner and Williams.

Also ranks our DL dead last 14th in SEC. SC is a state known for top notch DL talent. How USC went from top 3 in SEC on DL to...dead last...is why we're struggling.
GSC2013 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 07:35 PM   #5
6pack
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 10500
6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material6pack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Also ranks our DL dead last 14th in SEC. SC is a state known for top notch DL talent. How USC went from top 3 in SEC on DL to...dead last...is why we're struggling.
Luckily we have just the coaches to fix that. Some wins this season will help as well.
6pack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 09:28 PM   #6
PalmettoG27
Kryptonian

Male

PalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPitPalmettoG27 rules the CockPit

Our team hit pretty close to rock bottom in most areas during 2015. Our QB situation was a cluster. So bad we had to start freshmen and walk out no. that didn't work so Bentley who could have still beenin High School had to come off the bench to help. He ended up winning the starting spot. Bentley was only QB for half the season. The worse part is the QB isn't the only position like that. Our team is still coming back together and has a lot more winning to do before we rank well in polls. We aren't like Notre Dame or Ohio State where we are automatically get ranked in the top 10 even when we are horrible.
PalmettoG27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2017, 10:13 PM   #7
Three and Out
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

They are always pretty much, prove it. And they're right more than they're wrong.They probably don't spend 5 minutes per team.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2017, 05:53 PM   #8
Wisercock
Bowl MVP

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Based on the reference to Wake Forest it would be my guess that comment was by Dabo Swinney.
Old 05-22-2017, 10:18 AM   #9
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 20367
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
I don't see anything too egregious here. They need to go out and prove them wrong on the field.
NAGamec0ckFan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 05:22 PM   #10
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAGamec0ckFan View Post
I don't see anything too egregious here. They need to go out and prove them wrong on the field.
I agree. I don't really think it is disrespect. It's just how they see it. I don't agree with them but I don't necessarily think they look at specific teams and disparage them. They just don't think highly of the team. Winning more will fix that.
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:00 AM   #11
RphBallCoach
Blue Chip

Male

RphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPitRphBallCoach rules the CockPit

This is our year for respect and it will be dealt out in bunches.
RphBallCoach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:16 AM   #12
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 250200
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

These magazines are basically opinion pieces.

And we all know about opinions...

Lonnie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #13
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Most of these so called experts that draw up magazines or have web sites have steadly become total crap. Not many of them know a dang thing about football or other college sports. Case in point, Jake Bentz. If you had watched one game last year where we played decent you would realize that Bentz is by far the best QB in the SEC in 2017.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:56 AM   #14
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
I hope this is a great year offensively, but I still don't get where everyone is so convinced we're going to be an offensive power. We had flashes, but there was a whole lot that looked ugly, too.

And I know the schedule got tougher, and some people hate stats, but in October USC was 8th in the SEC in passing and 12th in November; Rushing we were dead last in October and 10th in November. We ended the season last by a country mile versus conference in rushing and eighth in passing.

I want to believe, but I feel like people are hanging so much hope on a meaningless bowl game. I hope Bentley comes out and lights it up, but I also don't blame anyone outside of fringe fans for doubting this team right now.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:06 PM   #15
Dizzy01
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11000
Dizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot materialDizzy01 is USC mascot material

I love things like this. The same people telling you it's a miracle if the team wins 6 games will then get mad when the "experts" predict the same thing. People will hang onto the coach proclaiming the team is two recruiting classes away from having quality players and depth but then get mad when the "experts" knock the caliber of athletes on the team. They aren't saying anything that many other people have said on this board.

In terms of Bentley maybe his ranking in the SEC is a little low but it's a results oriented business and how he performs against the top teams is way more important than how he performs against the bottom ones. If he's given the ability to make adjustments and play calling improves he'll climb the list.
Dizzy01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 01:45 PM   #16
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

I think we end up with about the same record as last year, maybe one more upset win. If the offense improves drastically, or the defense plays above average you never know.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 02:26 PM   #17
smoovecock
Super Moderator

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 940058
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincocks84 View Post
I think we end up with about the same record as last year, maybe one more upset win. If the offense improves drastically, or the defense plays above average you never know.
..Yup, it has been stated 100 plus times this off season that if the Oline can block a little, we have the horses at offensive skill positions to out score a few teams.
Old 05-23-2017, 03:05 PM   #18
Emery
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 11950
Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
..Yup, it has been stated 100 plus times this off season that if the Oline can block a little, we have the horses at offensive skill positions to out score a few teams.
Maybe I'm in the minority, but I can of feel like our chance to improve this season is hinging more on the defense progression through the year and less on the offensive line. I feel like the growth potential during a season is higher for positions like the CB and safety and less for offensive line.

Basically, offensively we may improve, but the money this season is going to be in the secondary and defensive line. A few surprise players and we're at 7-8 wins.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:04 PM   #19
GoldenSpur7
obscurum per obscurius

Male

CockyCash: 5009
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
Basically, offensively we may improve, but the money this season is going to be in the secondary and defensive line. A few surprise players and we're at 7-8 wins.
The DLine looked atrocious in Spring game. No pass rush, can't shrink the gap, just bad all-around. They better get better, or teams are just gonna run at us, then get favorable matchups outside as we have to pack the box every down.

Unless something dramatic happens there, we're going to have to put up a lot of points to get to a bowl.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2017, 08:20 PM   #20
TwoNotch Dreams
Hot Up In The Met

Male

TwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot materialTwoNotch Dreams is USC mascot material

We stunk last year. Our best win came against a free-falling Tennessee team. Other than that, we beat terrible teams.

6 wins against teams with a combined record of 26-47.
7 losses against teams with a combined record of 63-30.

If you were an objective college football writer, why would you put this team on a pedestal?
TwoNotch Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote