CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
6pack
SanAntonioCock
EAtMoRTaYtErz
FanofCarolina1
scfanz
Blitzkrieg
FurmanCock
RGHoskins
SwampFox
2017 Gamecocks Offen (776)
D. English & M.L (768)
4 new transfers sear (681)
eclipse fly over (432)
Bad luck that surrou (298)
110 out of 111 playe (232)
Favorite non-Gamecoc (91)
Western nation's see (71)
CONNOR SHAW DISCUSSION TH
Favorite non-Gamecock Coa
2018 - Kingsley Enagbare
110 out of 111 players te
Discussion: 2018 Recruiti
2017 Gamecocks Offensive
First home game, under th
2018 - Dax Hollifield
2018 Commitment - Dakereo
Bad luck that surrounds S

Old 05-23-2017, 09:21 PM   #21
Coondog
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material
Default Re: Lindy's and Athlon's are out. Major disrespect for Gamecocks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TwoNotch Dreams View Post
We stunk last year. Our best win came against a free-falling Tennessee team. Other than that, we beat terrible teams.

6 wins against teams with a combined record of 26-47.
7 losses against teams with a combined record of 63-30.

If you were an objective college football writer, why would you put this team on a pedestal?
Ouch!
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 06:32 AM   #22
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSC2013 View Post
Also ranks our DL dead last 14th in SEC. SC is a state known for top notch DL talent. How USC went from top 3 in SEC on DL to...dead last...is why we're struggling.
I usually don't take these pre-season expert analysis of any team seriously, but if you go
back to the past 3 years or so, in regards to South Carolina, they have been pretty spot on.
I don't agree with their "predictions' about Jake Bentley and the offense for the most part,
but I've had major concerns with our D/line this season all winter and Spring. You can't
really tell at this point what the finished product will look like come gametime for any of
the positions or the team overall, but just from the flashes we've seen so far, you can see
"SOME" improvements in most all of the positions with the exception of the Defensive Line.
That doesn't mean that the coaches won't make some good changes this summer / fall
before the season starts, or if we'll have a couple of players to elevate their games and
start to give the D/line a noticeable turn upward, or if we'll have some new faces put in
that position and it clicks. On the surface however, it just doesn't seem like there's going to
be a step forward in the improvement from our front four. The only thing that would give me
pause in my reasoning is that there is always a few players or a position that produces above
the pre-season expectations when the season starts and it's possible that it will come from
the D/front this fall. That is my #1 hope going into the 2017 season.
Old 05-24-2017, 06:50 AM   #23
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I hope this is a great year offensively, but I still don't get where everyone is so convinced we're going to be an offensive power. We had flashes, but there was a whole lot that looked ugly, too.

And I know the schedule got tougher, and some people hate stats, but in October USC was 8th in the SEC in passing and 12th in November; Rushing we were dead last in October and 10th in November. We ended the season last by a country mile versus conference in rushing and eighth in passing.

I want to believe, but I feel like people are hanging so much hope on a meaningless bowl game. I hope Bentley comes out and lights it up, but I also don't blame anyone outside of fringe fans for doubting this team right now.
Strong opinion here:
The offense is going to be the strongest part of this team this year. It was "adequate" from mid point
of the season on last year after we inserted Bentley and Dowdle into the mix. There have been some
significant upgrades in a few positions this winter, and some players who look like their games have
elevated several levels up after working with the new coaching staff for a year. This is not including
the addition of a couple or three unknowns that will come in here shortly and may add even more
firepower. Their was a MAJOR upgrade in the O/line simply by changing the coach and getting the
man we got (A MAJOR UPGRADE !). Again, from the flashes we have seen so far, that addition IMO
will be the most significant upgrade this team has made since hiring Muschamp and those assistants
that he brought with him. The offense will be a force this year.
I'll back this up by pointing out that last year after one practice, I made a statement on this board
and to anyone I engaged in a conversation with about our team under the then new coach Muschamp.
While everyone was going back and forth during the winter about who would start last year based
on Spring Game views, we had a couple of months long back and fourth between McIlwain, Orth and
even throwing in PT from Nunez.... After one open practice in August, I stated in the first practice
report that "Regardless of who started and how good they looked this year (2016 season), or how
long during the season they started, Jake Bentley would be the starting QB on day one of the 2017
season". That was based on observation and comparison between him and the rest of the roster of
the QB position.....after one practice. It was that obvious that Bentley had all the tools, all the
"look" and the athleticism of a good solid field general. The best we had in that group.

I can say this now based on what I saw of the overall offense this spring. (keeping in mind also that
a few major weapons were not used this spring in the offense as well) ....... There were huge additions
to the overall offense that were very noticeable in the Spring game this year, as compared to the
Spring games of the past 3,4, 5 years. This offense was sharp in the execution of plays and there
were a lot of individual players that showed signs of contributing big this fall for the offense.

The offense will be a big improvement this year. I'll bet on that
Old 05-24-2017, 07:01 AM   #24
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenSpur7 View Post
The DLine looked atrocious in Spring game. No pass rush, can't shrink the gap, just bad all-around. They better get better, or teams are just gonna run at us, then get favorable matchups outside as we have to pack the box every down.

Unless something dramatic happens there, we're going to have to put up a lot of points to get to a bowl.
This is my gut feeling as well with the exception of "getting to a bowl". I think
this team will make a post season appearance this year, but I agree that
we're going to have to put up 30+ against the better teams we play this year
to even have a CHANCE of winning those games unless we get some surprises
to pop up this year along the Defensive front ..... .but I'll say this about the
D/line this Spring. The Defensive front in the Spring games are always put
in a bind by them not being allowed to blitz or stunt in the spring game. They
aren't allowed to go strong to the QB or the backfield in general. They have
governors put on their play and they will never look anywhere near what you
see in the spring as they'll look in Sept. .....that said, I don't think there were
any big improvements this winter from a D/front that was anemic (again) in 2016.
As for the overall play of the D/line this Spring. .... My fingers are crossed that
their lack of play in the G&B game was more of the offensive line looking much
better this year, than it was for their stagnation in play over the 2016 season end.

That is my hope
Old 05-24-2017, 08:02 AM   #25
Wisercock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

We've got some good young players on the DL and we got rid of a few who were not contributing. With a year's experience the defense "should" be better. How much better they are out the gate (NCSU), and how much they improve during the season, will determine whether this is another 6 or 7 win team or will break out higher. They have got to be able to get crucial stops on 3rd and medium and force punts or it will be a long season no matter how many points the offense puts up.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #26
CockTail
Bowl MVP

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

I usually subscribe to the "the scheme doesn't matter, players do" but in the case of our defense, i do think how WM schemes this defense to try and find a pass rush will be critical. We have below average DL players, but upgrades at corner and LB should give him more flexibility to put in more blitz packages that should help. Using our best defensive players in these packages should give us a chance.
Old 05-24-2017, 08:29 AM   #27
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
This is my gut feeling as well with the exception of "getting to a bowl". I think
this team will make a post season appearance this year, but I agree that
we're going to have to put up 30+ against the better teams we play this year
to even have a CHANCE of winning those games unless we get some surprises
to pop up this year along the Defensive front ..... .but I'll say this about the
D/line this Spring. The Defensive front in the Spring games are always put
in a bind by them not being allowed to blitz or stunt in the spring game. They
aren't allowed to go strong to the QB or the backfield in general. They have
governors put on their play and they will never look anywhere near what you
see in the spring as they'll look in Sept. .....that said, I don't think there were
any big improvements this winter from a D/front that was anemic (again) in 2016.
As for the overall play of the D/line this Spring. .... My fingers are crossed that
their lack of play in the G&B game was more of the offensive line looking much
better this year, than it was for their stagnation in play over the 2016 season end.

That is my hope
Your observations are most welcome - almost like a Spurt practice report teaser. The biggest complaint that I have about Boom so far is that he keeps practices closed, so few and far between on the Spurt reports.

I feel strongly - based on players returning and incoming talent, including JUCOs that can contribute early - that we will be better at LB and DB. That gives me hope that the D will be better, which means that we could easily have another three game improvement. Because the O is going to be a LOT better.

The D Line could be worse, better or the same. But the frightening part is that the strength of the D Line would seem to be containment and stopping the run, which should have been in evidence at the Spring game. If they could not do that, either the O Line is really good (and I think they will be one of our best ever, nice to see your confidence in Wolfie)) or the D Line is really bad. Or a combination of both.

I have been pointing out that we actually have had a large number of high rated guys on the D Line - I think the number was 7 4* last year - so the issue has been evals, since the guys were clearly not a good as their star ratings. We have fewer high rated guys this year, but hopefully we start having guys that over-achieve rather than under-achieve. Freshmen can play early on the D Line, so I am hoping that we get big contributions from guys like Webb and Brad Johnson, plus JUCO Kinlaw.

But I still think that we will need to generate a lot of the pass rush from the LBs and occasionally DB blitzes. With the Buck position and good pass rushing LBs (Skai, BAW, Staley, Bowen), we have the ability to shift players around and use different guys to pass rush/play the run/stay back in coverage. That should give opposing Offenses fits.

What gives me hope - and people seem to forget sometimes - is that we have one of the best D minds in history, if not the best, and he is bringing in his first full class to run his D. I think the D will be better overall, even if the D Line is still a work in progress. And that will make us dangerous.
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:31 AM   #28
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 275
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Hopefully our LB core can pick up whatever slack the DL gives.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 08:39 AM   #29
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
Strong opinion here:
The offense is going to be the strongest part of this team this year. It was "adequate" from mid point
of the season on last year after we inserted Bentley and Dowdle into the mix. There have been some
significant upgrades in a few positions this winter, and some players who look like their games have
elevated several levels up after working with the new coaching staff for a year. This is not including
the addition of a couple or three unknowns that will come in here shortly and may add even more
firepower. Their was a MAJOR upgrade in the O/line simply by changing the coach and getting the
man we got (A MAJOR UPGRADE !). Again, from the flashes we have seen so far, that addition IMO
will be the most significant upgrade this team has made since hiring Muschamp and those assistants
that he brought with him. The offense will be a force this year.
I'll back this up by pointing out that last year after one practice, I made a statement on this board
and to anyone I engaged in a conversation with about our team under the then new coach Muschamp.
While everyone was going back and forth during the winter about who would start last year based
on Spring Game views, we had a couple of months long back and fourth between McIlwain, Orth and
even throwing in PT from Nunez.... After one open practice in August, I stated in the first practice
report that "Regardless of who started and how good they looked this year (2016 season), or how
long during the season they started, Jake Bentley would be the starting QB on day one of the 2017
season". That was based on observation and comparison between him and the rest of the roster of
the QB position.....after one practice. It was that obvious that Bentley had all the tools, all the
"look" and the athleticism of a good solid field general. The best we had in that group.

I can say this now based on what I saw of the overall offense this spring. (keeping in mind also that
a few major weapons were not used this spring in the offense as well) ....... There were huge additions
to the overall offense that were very noticeable in the Spring game this year, as compared to the
Spring games of the past 3,4, 5 years. This offense was sharp in the execution of plays and there
were a lot of individual players that showed signs of contributing big this fall for the offense.

The offense will be a big improvement this year. I'll bet on that
I mostly agree with this. I think the offense will be improved and a bit of a surprise. I don't expect it to be a juggernaut, just much better in comparison to last year. I am hoping I am wrong but I think the defensive stats will fall off a little. Could be for different reasons (maybe simply because the offense is on the field longer) but I expect there to be more balance between the two squads. Defense a little "worse" for lack of a better term and the offense a little "better."
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 09:13 AM   #30
NAGamec0ckFan
Proverbs 14:12

Male

CockyCash: 8607
NAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot materialNAGamec0ckFan is USC mascot material

I'm expecting a much better offense. I think the defense will be slightly better. The players have had another year to learn the system. Also, we had no depth in the secondary last year. I think we will see improvement there. Still concerned about the linebackers and D line though.
NAGamec0ckFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 01:22 PM   #31
Spurticus
I DON'T FEEL TARDY

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by STR82HELL View Post
I mostly agree with this. I think the offense will be improved and a bit of a surprise. I don't expect it to be a juggernaut, just much better in comparison to last year. I am hoping I am wrong but I think the defensive stats will fall off a little. Could be for different reasons (maybe simply because the offense is on the field longer) but I expect there to be more balance between the two squads. Defense a little "worse" for lack of a better term and the offense a little "better."
I get the feeling from watching the Spring game that the offense is going to use the TE alot
more than we're used to seeing. I also know that we have a stable full of damn good TEs
that can get downfield and into the pass routes, and none of them seem to mind mixing
it up with DBs or LBs in a crowd. If we do make them a feature in the offense, the passing
attack will be Explosive this fall. This based on Spring game observations and the fact that
our projected starting TE didn't play (Hurst) and we still haven't seen what Register will
bring to the table this fall (if he doesn't red shirt). That part of the offense is a BIG upgrade.

It's probably a given that Rico Dowdle will be the Number One Tailback starting game one, but
if what I saw from Tyson Williams is genuine, I can see him taking over the starting job from
RD this year. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE watching that guy run the ball ! .... He looks like Marcus
Lattimore with a higher gear. He, Dowdle and Turner are going to make the running attack
better than what it was in 2016.... Another upgrade.

I really believe this will be a break out year for Bryan Edwards. He along with Deebo will be a
good base for the passing attack, but I am also thinking that we will see a Ortre Smith emerge
as a weapon in this offense as well. Had the same feeling about the ground attack last year
without having seen Rico Dowdle run the ball. If Smith is all he's said to be, add him to the
WR/Slot mix along with the group of excellent TEs and our passing game is going to be fun to
watch.

If the O/line responds well to the upgrade in Coaching ........ sit back and watch the fireworks
this fall.
Old 05-24-2017, 02:01 PM   #32
STR82HELL
Banned

Male

STR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudlySTR82HELL is crowing loudly

Quote:
I get the feeling from watching the Spring game that the offense is going to use the TE alot
more than we're used to seeing. I also know that we have a stable full of damn good TEs
that can get downfield and into the pass routes, and none of them seem to mind mixing
it up with DBs or LBs in a crowd. If we do make them a feature in the offense, the passing
attack will be Explosive this fall. This based on Spring game observations and the fact that
our projected starting TE didn't play (Hurst) and we still haven't seen what Register will
bring to the table this fall (if he doesn't red shirt). That part of the offense is a BIG upgrade.

It's probably a given that Rico Dowdle will be the Number One Tailback starting game one, but
if what I saw from Tyson Williams is genuine, I can see him taking over the starting job from
RD this year. I ABSOLUTELY LOVE watching that guy run the ball ! .... He looks like Marcus
Lattimore with a higher gear. He, Dowdle and Turner are going to make the running attack

I really believe this will be a break out year for Bryan Edwards. He along with Deebo will be a
good base for the passing attack, but I am also thinking that we will see a Ortre Smith emerge
as a weapon in this offense as well. Had the same feeling about the ground attack last year
without having seen Rico Dowdle run the ball. If Smith is all he's said to be, add him to the
WR/Slot mix along with the group of excellent TEs and our passing game is going to be fun to
watch.

If the O/line responds well to the upgrade in Coaching ........ sit back and watch the fireworks
this fall.
Be careful with that using the tight end more shit... it makes too much sense.
STR82HELL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 02:24 PM   #33
USCBaseball
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 27544
USCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot materialUSCBaseball is USC mascot material

Quote:

watch.

this fall.
I am definitely curious to see what the RB's and OL are going to do this year. I think the WR's all being healthy, plus the addition of Shi and Ortre Smith, we could see some real threats downfield. The other thing I look forward to seeing is the return game with Shi and Jamyest!
USCBaseball is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 03:28 PM   #34
henmania
Bowl MVP

Male

henmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot materialhenmania is USC mascot material

I just want to see us look better on D. I think the O can take care of business if the D can step up some.
henmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2017, 04:44 PM   #35
seamus
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 2000000
seamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot materialseamus is USC mascot material

Having a stronger offense should help the defense. The more time we keep the O on the field, the less time our D is open to exposure. The other benefit is that the D has more time to rest and be ready to stop the opponent. The worst thing for a defense is a 3 and out by the offense.
seamus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2017, 05:51 PM   #36
Three and Out
Starter

Male

Three and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudlyThree and Out is crowing loudly

I agree with most of the above comments regarding the offense. Wolford is a game changer for me, and moving Bailey to RT and having a good competition and more athleticism at LT has to be a help as well. Also, we will be playing with a much expanded playbook which will pay dividends especially against the better teams. We were somewhat of a one trick pony last year and good teams knew what was coming. Jake has spent countless hours in the film room so he has a far superior understanding of what we're trying to do offensively, and he now has the ability to check out of plays and change protections. There's no doubting the quality of our skill position players, but I want to see how much better our RB block this year. It was hit and miss at best last year. And you better believe teams are going to come after Bentley, so Rico and Ty'son need to be solid blockers. If our offense was 3-4 last year in the second half of the season, I see them being 6-7 this year. I see Bentley having a huge jump and that will get us an additional 7-10 points per game this year.

Regarding the defense, we will definitely be better in the back 7 this year with more speed plus more depth. Regarding the DL, one would think having most of the group back with another year of experience has to be an improvement, and we don't know how Kinlaw or a couple of the new guys are going to play. It's probably going to take the defense several games to get adjusted to each other and find out what they're capable of doing. So if our defense was a 2-3 last year, I see them being 4-5 this year.......maybe allowing 5-7 fewer points a game.

If we don't get bit by the injury bug at key positions, I think 8-4 is very much in play even with the tougher schedule.
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 09:47 AM   #37
Ace Dilcock
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 650
Ace Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot materialAce Dilcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Three and Out View Post
I agree with most of the above comments regarding the offense. Wolford is a game changer for me, and moving Bailey to RT and having a good competition and more athleticism at LT has to be a help as well. Also, we will be playing with a much expanded playbook which will pay dividends especially against the better teams. We were somewhat of a one trick pony last year and good teams knew what was coming. Jake has spent countless hours in the film room so he has a far superior understanding of what we're trying to do offensively, and he now has the ability to check out of plays and change protections. There's no doubting the quality of our skill position players, but I want to see how much better our RB block this year. It was hit and miss at best last year. And you better believe teams are going to come after Bentley, so Rico and Ty'son need to be solid blockers. If our offense was 3-4 last year in the second half of the season, I see them being 6-7 this year. I see Bentley having a huge jump and that will get us an additional 7-10 points per game this year.

Regarding the defense, we will definitely be better in the back 7 this year with more speed plus more depth. Regarding the DL, one would think having most of the group back with another year of experience has to be an improvement, and we don't know how Kinlaw or a couple of the new guys are going to play. It's probably going to take the defense several games to get adjusted to each other and find out what they're capable of doing. So if our defense was a 2-3 last year, I see them being 4-5 this year.......maybe allowing 5-7 fewer points a game.

If we don't get bit by the injury bug at key positions, I think 8-4 is very much in play even with the tougher schedule.
Pretty much how I see it, 8-9 wins (with a bowl game included) is a natural progression and a reasonable expectation. And the schedule is really not that much tougher - teams like Florida, Clemson, TAMU and UT will not be nearly as good in 2017.

We could have the same defense in 2017 as 2016 and still give up fewer yards, points, first downs, etc., just because the offense will be able to move the ball and keep the defense off the field. Our D was not that much more talented when Shaw was here, they just were not on the field nearly as much as the D from the last two years.

The D will be better overall, and you are right about the back seven being the strength. The front four could be better as well - if newcomers and young players come through for us. The D Line will be much different than what we saw in the Spring - lots of unknowns there, so I will be curious to see who puts on good weight, who is working hard, what the coaches say in the preseason.

We are in dire need of a "Spurt practice report with an emphasis on Defensive Line play".
Ace Dilcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:07 AM   #38
EAtMoRTaYtErz
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 57500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

We weren't supposed to win 6 games last year. 8 wins seems high to me for expectations. We pretty much have to be solid in all areas to accomplish that, and my major concern is strength and conditioning and I don't know if we have had enough time to improved enough there to win consistently against our competition. I think 8-9 wins may be possible but, it's playing above expectations.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 10:33 AM   #39
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
8 wins seems high to me for expectations.
Having W/L expectations where there is so much uncertainty and speculation is inadvisable.
I remember the '84 10-2 season where expectations were minimal, and a few recent ones where things didn't go as planned. Guessing about W/L doesn't make any sense to me.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2017, 01:42 PM   #40
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Having W/L expectations where there is so much uncertainty and speculation is inadvisable.
I remember the '84 10-2 season where expectations were minimal, and a few recent ones where things didn't go as planned. Guessing about W/L doesn't make any sense to me.
It makes for good conversation but it's solely based on what we have from last year and what we think will happen based off that. It's merely a guess