CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
carolina_corpsman
LeeroyJenkins
Spurticus
Master Bedroom
Ace Dilcock
Spur's Addiction
MACXIMVS
GregoryHouse
Three and Out
MountainCock
Cockytalk Practice r (3451)
Stephen Davis Jr. (2199)
Kaleb Chalmers (1619)
Thoughts on Monday N (1176)
Broadcasting Crew vs (933)
Position Unit Previe (382)
Going to my first ga (314)
Cockytalk Practice report
Broadcasting Crew vs. NC
Stephen Davis Jr.
Rollcall! : NC State
Going to my first game si
Will the Gamecocks score
Home Opener vs UK
WBB 2017-18 Season and Re
Position Unit Preview: Li
GA Mangus has a new job

Old 06-09-2017, 11:34 AM   #1
jseal777
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1450
jseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPit
Default Tailgating Info

I'm looking at tailgating at WB this year for the first time and I was looking for some general info. Best places to park, recommended equipment, what's allowed/not allowed, general guidelines and things like that. I'm sure there's already a detailed thread just like this somewhere on here but I haven't been able to find it.
Mods just shoot me that thread and delete this one if that works
Thanks!
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:17 PM   #2
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 500
carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material
Default Re: Tailgating Info

For the first year keep it simple, tent chairs, and a portable grill. If you are getting a generator, get a Honda.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
carolina_corpsman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 12:28 PM   #3
86 GradCock
Spring Game Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1800
86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolina_corpsman View Post
For the first year keep it simple, tent chairs, and a portable grill. If you are getting a generator, get a Honda.

Good recommendation, except you forgot some important items: beer, booze and a Gamecock flag.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2017, 01:18 PM   #4
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

carolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot materialcarolina_corpsman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
Good recommendation, except you forgot some important items: beer, booze and a Gamecock flag.
Yeah, that's true! And a decent sized cooler!

Old 06-10-2017, 11:16 AM   #5
CockyATO
Thread Killer

Male

CockyCash: 1200244
CockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot material

Quote:
Yeah, that's true! And a decent sized cooler!

And good tunes..

Twitter: CreightonUSC
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 11:22 AM   #6
CockyATO
Thread Killer

Male

CockyCash: 1200244
CockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot materialCockyATO is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal777 View Post
I'm looking at tailgating at WB this year for the first time and I was looking for some general info. Best places to park, recommended equipment, what's allowed/not allowed, general guidelines and things like that. I'm sure there's already a detailed thread just like this somewhere on here but I haven't been able to find it.
Mods just shoot me that thread and delete this one if that works
Thanks!
The first advice, START SMALL, is key.

Fairgrounds and Farmers Market are university owned and bought through Gamecock Club. There's a back side of Fairgrounds* that's first come first serve. There's also private lots (Coop, Gamecock Pavillion, University House) that are owned spots but all the above can usually be found on CraigsList or Cocky Swap. Seawells wouldn't be a bad place to check online now and buy a season spot. It gets fairly rowdy back there.

Then there's a bunch of first come first serve spots on GAMEDAY down Shop and Key Road and back towards the Budweiser plant.

Generators are fine to use, Honda is the standard but Lowes and Home Depot have house brands (Ryobi for example) that are also powerful and quiet and less expensive. You'll want to look into one if you're running TVs, crockpots, stereo equipment....
*deep cycle marine batteries with a power inverter are an alternative to this, tho they need to be recharged every week. You could also run a power inverter off your car battery but need to crank and run engine about every 30 minutes

Gas grills fine, open flames frowned upon.

Offering to help your neighbors set their tent up is a great way to win them over

Music is crucial

If your lot doesn't have trash bags, make sure you do.

Fans are crowd favorites during the hot months, space heaters for winter

I use a wooden table leaf in he back of my 4Runner as a bar top (stops spills)

Get a foldable card table for food, flip cup, crockpots, whatever

Chairs and tables will get wet and smelly, a roof rack or tailgate hitch extender can be remedies for that.

Twitter: CreightonUSC

Last edited by CockyATO; 06-14-2017 at 04:11 PM..
CockyATO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 12:05 PM   #7
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyATO View Post
The first advice, START SMALL, is key.

Fairgrounds and Farmers Market are university owned and bought through Gamecock Club. There's a back side of Farmers Market that's first come first serve. There's also private lots (Coop, Gamecock Pavillion, University House) that are owned spots but all the above can usually be found on CraigsList or Cocky Swap. Seawells wouldn't be a bad place to check online now and buy a season spot. It gets fairly rowdy back there.

Then there's a bunch of first come first serve spots on GAMEDAY down Shop and Key Road and back towards the Budweiser plant.

Generators are fine to use, Honda is the standard but Lowes and Home Depot have house brands (Ryobi for example) that are also powerful and quiet and less expensive. You'll want to look into one if you're running TVs, crockpots, stereo equipment....
*deep cycle marine batteries with a power inverter are an alternative to this, tho they need to be recharged every week. You could also run a power inverter off your car battery but need to crank and run engine about every 30 minutes

Gas grills fine, open flames frowned upon.

Offering to help your neighbors set their tent up is a great way to win them over

Music is crucial

If your lot doesn't have trash bags, make sure you do.

Fans are crowd favorites during the hot months, space heaters for winter

I use a wooden table leaf in he back of my 4Runner as a bar top (stops spills)

Get a foldable card table for food, flip cup, crockpots, whatever

Chairs and tables will get wet and smelly, a roof rack or tailgate hitch extender can be remedies for that.
All of this. Also, if you don't have a TV and want to have football: WatchESPN or CBS app on your phone, connect to bluetooth. You'll have a small screen, but you'll hear ESPN/CBS commentators, where XM radio will give you the team's radio guys.

Also, they say you must remove your tent before you leave for the game, but I'm not sure how strict they are with this.

Last edited by Gamecocks0197; 06-10-2017 at 12:16 PM..
Gamecocks0197 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 01:24 PM   #8
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

One other parking suggestion is parking in the non-university owned fairgrounds parking.

https://scfairgrounds.com/parking/

The first year I had a spot in lot 6 and it was pretty good. Lot's of room to spread out, but it is all grass so if it rains it gets a little soggy. But its not too far from the stadium and the price isn't too bad.

Regarding TV's, I bring one of those Mohu Paper thin antennas and hang it on a hook on the inside of my jeep. Keeps it out of the breeze and I have usually gotten ABC, CBS, And FOX with out much issue and all in HD. The people across from me have a dish, and would play ESPN or SECN so we would just go back and forth.

Speaking of neighbors, help them set up and share food and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:31 PM   #9
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
One other parking suggestion is parking in the non-university owned fairgrounds parking.

https://scfairgrounds.com/parking/

The first year I had a spot in lot 6 and it was pretty good. Lot's of room to spread out, but it is all grass so if it rains it gets a little soggy. But its not too far from the stadium and the price isn't too bad.

Regarding TV's, I bring one of those Mohu Paper thin antennas and hang it on a hook on the inside of my jeep. Keeps it out of the breeze and I have usually gotten ABC, CBS, And FOX with out much issue and all in HD. The people across from me have a dish, and would play ESPN or SECN so we would just go back and forth.

Speaking of neighbors, help them set up and share food and it makes for a much more enjoyable experience.
What do you do for the fair game?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:35 PM   #10
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
What do you do for the fair game?
They are closed, just like the university owned fairgrounds. however many of their lots close for 2 games, but lot 5 was open for 1 of those 2 games that the fair was in town. (this was 3 years ago, so I don't know for sure now.) So for one of the games you have to join in the rest of the gamecock club members who get kicked out of their spots and hunt for a first come first serve spot.

This is one thing that really burns me up about the fair and USC, as much money as we spend, you think they could work it out so that we get to park in our spots, but I know this will never happen.

Edit, it was lot 5 (which used to be called lot 6) and having looked, it is closed, I don't know if its full or they have plans with it.
Old 06-10-2017, 01:41 PM   #11
Gamecocks0197
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
They are closed, just like the university owned fairgrounds. however many of their lots close for 2 games, but lot 6 was open for 1 of those 2 games that the fair was in town. (this was 3 years ago, so I don't know for sure now.) So for one of the games you have to join in the rest of the gamecock club members who get kicked out of their spots and hunt for a first come first serve spot.

This is one thing that really burns me up about the fair and USC, as much money as we spend, you think they could work it out so that we get to park in our spots, but I know this will never happen.
Yeah I knew GCC members were kicked out of the USC part of the lot. Wasn't sure about the back end that USC doesn't rent. My family used to tailgate in the fairgrounds when we were members. I was young, so the thought process didn't cross my mind, but I want to say we just went to a random Bluff Road lot during the fair to avoid that mess with the fair being set up

But yeah, I wish they could somehow work it out, but where would they even move you?
Old 06-10-2017, 01:45 PM   #12
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
Yeah I knew GCC members were kicked out of the USC part of the lot. Wasn't sure about the back end that USC doesn't rent. My family used to tailgate in the fairgrounds when we were members. I was young, so the thought process didn't cross my mind, but I want to say we just went to the first decent lot we found on Bluff for fair games.

But yeah, I wish they could somehow work it out, but where would they even move you?
I think the best solution would be looking at the gamecocks schedule and the fair dates a few years in advance and trying to schedule back to back away games or maybe a bye week and an away game.

As far as the parking goes, I am in the Blue lot of the university owned Fairground and think it is just about right, enough space, easy 5 min walk into the stadium. Although if there are any white lot's open I will jump on it.
Old 06-10-2017, 02:50 PM   #13
Lonnie
Band

Male

CockyCash: 499
Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
If you are getting a generator, get a Honda.
Generac is kicking honda's butt on the inverter generator front these days. Cheaper AND quieter.

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2017, 02:56 PM   #14
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
Generac is kicking honda's butt on the inverter generator front these days. Cheaper AND quieter.

There are lots of good ones, from what I have seen the Hondas can take a beating and keep on running.

Regardless of brand, just don't be that guy who shows up with a 6000 watt construction generator that drowns out conversations 3 rows away...

Old 06-10-2017, 03:10 PM   #15
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Regardless of brand, just don't be that guy who shows up with a 6000 watt construction generator that drowns out conversations 3 rows away...
Which brings me to my next point. If you're just running a TV and rabbit ears or Sat setup, you likely don't need a 2000 watt generator anyway. For around $150 - $200, you can get a deep cycle 12v battery, a 100-150 watt inverter and a trickle charger to change your battery during the week. Totally quite and enough juice to power a TV for 6-8 hours. Plenty of tailgate time.

Old 06-10-2017, 03:12 PM   #16
carolina_corpsman
Household Name

Male

Quote:
Which brings me to my next point. If you're just running a TV and rabbit ears or Sat setup, you likely don't need a 2000 watt generator anyway. For around $150 - $200, you can get a deep cycle 12v battery, a 100-150 watt inverter and a trickle charger to change your battery during the week. Totally quite and enough juice to power a TV for 6-8 hours. Plenty of tailgate time.
Yeah, this is really all you need. I have a 2000 watt Honda because we use it when the power goes out in a storm, plus I snagged it for $500 on craigslist.

But a battery bank would be perfect.
Old 06-14-2017, 10:04 AM   #17
jseal777
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 1450
jseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPitjseal777 rules the CockPit

So a charcoal grill would be a no-go?
jseal777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:09 AM   #18
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 0
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseal777 View Post
So a charcoal grill would be a no-go?
Charcoal is a no-go (I would assume) in all university lots. I've seen people use charcoal, so it all depends on if you get caught or not, but due to fire hazard, I would guess it's a no no for all of the lots.

Now the private lots, no clue.

Quote:
Originally Posted by smoovecock View Post
I agree with Cack.
cack is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:19 AM   #19
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 2301172
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Quote:

Yeah, but they're orange
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2017, 10:22 AM   #20
Lonnie
Band

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecock88 View Post
Yeah, but they're orange
You're right.

THEY SUCK!!!