CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gotrice?
SC Gamecock
GeoCocky66
Spurticus
gamecockclint
The Yancey
Order 66
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
sc455
Taylor Stallworth Up (798)
LSU player changes h (600)
Radio for OL footbal (245)
Jay-Z and Beyoncé (233)
Lexington Football r (190)
2 Georgia Tickets (0)
2 Georgia Tickets
2019 Warm / Warmer / Favo
2018-19 MBB Schedule - Na
2019 Commitment - Joseph
Is Urban Meyer in Trouble
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
Ole Miss unveils its Land
High school football has
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
2019 - Cameron Smith

Old 02-12-2018, 08:36 PM   #721
CockySpaniel
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 4400000261
CockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot materialCockySpaniel is USC mascot material
Default Re: 107.5 is terrible

I have, many times.
Most shows wont put up with outright ignorance.
Unless they real goof ball funny.
Old 02-12-2018, 08:46 PM   #722
peterlemon
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
peterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot materialpeterlemon is USC mascot material

Heath Cline is a very intelligent and prepared sports talk show host, but he should probably refrain from all the name calling and condescension all the time. He isn't going to be too happy when some nutjob comes out to one of his Bojangles remotes.
peterlemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 07:11 PM   #723
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material

Possible changes coming to 1075 The Game.

http://www.gamecocknews.net/

I'd be fine with scrapping all local talent except Heath. I would love to hear Chuck Oliver show
Old 08-13-2018, 07:24 PM   #724
Mechanical Cock
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 200
Mechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot materialMechanical Cock is USC mascot material

Ill probably listen to Heath wherever he lands. I wonder how this affect the IMG content and the various coaches shows.
Old 08-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #725
TaySC
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 0
TaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot materialTaySC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
Possible changes coming to 1075 The Game.

http://www.gamecocknews.net/

I'd be fine with scrapping all local talent except Heath. I would love to hear Chuck Oliver show
I'm fine with Heath going away.

Honestly, during the offseason these shows are painful to listen to. Just this morning I tried and if you aren't a big Golf fan, it is simply annoying to listen to.

Having said that, the dead period is almost over and football season should make these shows a bit more interesting, so I'm not so sure they should rush to do anything until after football season anyway.
TaySC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 08:17 PM   #726
FlorenceCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220000
FlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot materialFlorenceCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post

Honestly, during the offseason these shows are painful to listen to. Just this morning I tried and if you aren't a big Golf fan, it is simply annoying to listen to.

Having said that, the dead period is almost over and football season should make these shows a bit more interesting, so I'm not so sure they should rush to do anything until after football season anyway.
Heath is by far the best person they have on the air at that station. He would make it in a major media market he is that good of an on air talent. I would hate it if he wasn't on the station anymore. I doubt I would ever listen if he left.
Old 08-14-2018, 10:17 AM   #727
markymark550
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 7000
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlorenceCock View Post
Heath is by far the best person they have on the air at that station. He would make it in a major media market he is that good of an on air talent. I would hate it if he wasn't on the station anymore. I doubt I would ever listen if he left.
I agree with everything you said.
markymark550 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 10:57 AM   #728
usc51
Household Name

Male

usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaySC View Post

I mean what do you expect them to talk about? Like it or not, Tiger's performance this weekend is by far the biggest story in sports. I don't even care about golf and yet that's obvious to me. Of course a sports station is going to give a lot of coverage to that.
Old 08-14-2018, 11:18 AM   #729
thekob
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 100700
thekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot materialthekob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc51 View Post
I mean what do you expect them to talk about? Like it or not, Tiger's performance this weekend is by far the biggest story in sports. I don't even care about golf and yet that's obvious to me. Of course a sports station is going to give a lot of coverage to that.
They shouldn't be talking about any tigers on the Gamecock radio station, except to make fun of them. If they need to talk about him, they should refer to him as "that Woods golfer guy".
thekob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:26 AM   #730
Master Bedroom
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 10500
Master Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot materialMaster Bedroom is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekob View Post
They shouldn't be talking about any tigers on the Gamecock radio station, except to make fun of them. If they need to talk about him, they should refer to him as "that Woods golfer guy".
Amazing golf ball wacker guy
Master Bedroom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:42 AM   #731
NotKyle
The Hero Rides Again

Male

CockyCash: 300
NotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot materialNotKyle is USC mascot material

I'm a daily listener, but only weekdays before and after Dan Patrick. Localized talk about my city and my university are the only things keeping me listening to the radio at all. I know a large portion of 107.5's non-game coverage listeners are the same. Syndication or country music would drive people like that far away. Local sports radio is one of those anachronistic cornerstones of the whole college town atmosphere; I'd be sad if it disappeared, but I recognize its eventual obsolescence.

I know Heath will find employment, but anyone who dares to take Tommy Moody off of the air will have made an enemy of me.
NotKyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 11:55 AM   #732
cocky0
Unmoderated

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Fark of the Year Christmas Farking Contest: Christmas Farking Contest - Given for: Winning Farking Contest 
CockyCash: 9890000
cocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot materialcocky0 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to cocky0

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc51 View Post
I think I can answer this.

I obviously cannot speak for everyone so a lot of this is speculation and personal opinion, but I imagine there exists a portion of the listening community who literally only care about Gamecock sports. Then there's a handful more who might want to hear about what the rest of the conference is up to. A few more might even care about the cow college.

With that said, if a radio show host were to focus his content on primarily Gamecock sports with a little bit of other stuff that may directly or indirectly affect Gamecock sports, and that show had some decent production value, then I would imagine it would do pretty well and be pleasing to the ears of most folks in the Richland and Lexington County areas.

Heath is a great sports talk show host, but his content completely loses a lot of listeners who couldn't give two shits about Tiger Woods or Lebron James or any of the other sports topics that have absolutely nothing to do with anything that goes on in Columbia.

In the age of 24/7 news and sports coverage, anyone can tune in to ESPN or any of the hundreds of other outlets for national sports coverage. The same cannot be said of team-specific coverage, especially if the team in question isn't one of the blue-bloods in football or basketball.

Now I have not listened to 107.5 in a while for a variety of reasons, but assuming the lineup is the same as it was when I last listened, it went something like this:

6am-9am Local morning show
9am-12pm Dan Patrick
12pm-1pm Local lunchtime show
1pm-4pm Local early afternoon show
4pm-7pm Local afternoon show
6pm-6am Miscellaneous syndicated shows

That gives us 10 hours of local content in a 24 hour day. Subtract the time for 732-DRIP commercials and irrelevant stuff like who wore #4 on the 1967 intramural ultimate frisbee team, and there's not a lot of time for any discussion on Gamecock sports.

Now I imagine the average listener at least works somewhere in their footprint. The bulk of their work day is probably somewhere between 8am and 5pm. The morning drive will be spent hearing audio clips from the prior day's news mixed in with the commercials and talk about shit that happened 40 years ago. They get into work, grab a cup of coffee, and settle down to start working just in time for Dan Patrick, and that is assuming it's a job that is conducive to listening to sports talk. Then the lunchtime show comes on, and the listener is probably eating lunch with coworkers instead of listening to the radio. Maybe they can catch the early afternoon show, but a lot of that depends on the the work environment.

So that leaves late afternoon work and the drive home. Assuming the listener is able to listen to the radio at work, this is prime time to get caught up on what's actually going on in the world of Gamecock sports. And as luck would have it, the host of that show actually spends time talking about current events in the world of sports as opposed to the Emmy's or Jay-Z's new socks. Unfortunately, it seems this guy would rather talk about literally anything except Gamecock sports.

So yeah maybe that's why some folks don't really care if Heath Cline stays or goes. When he's on topic, he's the best thing on that station. When he's on one of his off topic shows, of which there are plenty, he is nothing more than another national talking head who just happens to take local calls. Maybe that works for some folks, and that's cool. For me, though, I would rather the "Home of the Gamecocks" actually make an attempt to live up to that moniker.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:01 PM   #733
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
LakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPit

Heath doesnt live in Columbia and does his show at home in Raleigh many times. If he is off 107.5 I highly doubt you will here him im this market again.

As for the other guys where would they go? There isnt another radio station in town interested in local sports.
LakeMonticelloCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:17 PM   #734
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

LakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPitLakeMonticelloCock rules the CockPit

Not local radio at the moment . No lunch show
Old 08-14-2018, 12:21 PM   #735
2000grad
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 1233026
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Those that are complaining about 107.5, I'm curious if you would like a Gamecock version of the upstate tiger radio lineup
2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 12:25 PM   #736
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
Heath doesnt live in Columbia and does his show at home in Raleigh many times. If he is off 107.5 I highly doubt you will here him im this market again.

As for the other guys where would they go? There isnt another radio station in town interested in local sports.

Problem with all these lcoal radio sports stations is that there isn't generally enough material to yap about for 12 hrs. a day. Sure during football season you can fill in a good bit of that. Plus basketball and Baseball stuff. But what do you talk about in the middle of July.

These guys, whether through the station or independently, would be better off doing podcasts. They could do it daily for like an hour or two at the most. They can do them a bit longer during the season, and shorter in the off season. And they could probably do it with a hell of a lot less commercials.

Listeners can download them daily and listen in their own time. Doing the callers would be harder, but honestly, how much substance or thought provoking questions do you ever get from the folks calling in? About zero.
Old 08-14-2018, 12:37 PM   #737
LakeMonticelloCock
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur's Addiction View Post
Problem with all these lcoal radio sports stations is that there isn't generally enough material to yap about for 12 hrs. a day. Sure during football season you can fill in a good bit of that. Plus basketball and Baseball stuff. But what do you talk about in the middle of July.

These guys, whether through the station or independently, would be better off doing podcasts. They could do it daily for like an hour or two at the most. They can do them a bit longer during the season, and shorter in the off season. And they could probably do it with a hell of a lot less commercials.

Listeners can download them daily and listen in their own time. Doing the callers would be harder, but honestly, how much substance or thought provoking questions do you ever get from the folks calling in? About zero.
All true ,but they need advertisers to make a living and a lot of businesses wont advertise on a podcast as most business owners are older and dont understand the value
Old 08-14-2018, 12:40 PM   #738
Gamecockboyo
Running in a Sandstorm

Male

CockyCash: 936666
Gamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot materialGamecockboyo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockboyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeMonticelloCock View Post
Not local radio at the moment . No lunch show
They are all busy for some kind of luncheon. They'll back on air about 2:00.
Old 08-14-2018, 01:06 PM   #739
BringBackGarcia
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 0
BringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot materialBringBackGarcia is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecockboyo View Post
They are all busy for some kind of luncheon. They'll back on air about 2:00.

Otherwise known as the staff meeting/clear up some things/get ready for unemployment.

I've been critical of the station but this is really unfortunate. It sucks to lose a local channel and local content. I'm assuming it's either keep a few pieces (a local show at lunch and/or afternoon/morning) and make the remaining 20 hours syndicated and will send the laid off talent to the AM, or it'll all be gone.

The only positive I can see with this is that if Justin King is watching, you could multiply those involved in the social media content and still keep the branding. USC could control the local media coverage and the message and make it 'sexy'.
BringBackGarcia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 01:36 PM   #740
PLAY2WIN
Walk On

Male

PLAY2WIN has earned his spursPLAY2WIN has earned his spursPLAY2WIN has earned his spursPLAY2WIN has earned his spursPLAY2WIN has earned his spursPLAY2WIN has earned his spurs

I am fine with Heath Cline in the afternoon but can we PLEASE somehow ban Carey Rich from being on there from August 01 until at least mid-season. Sorry but it is football time, I don't need basketball updates right now. and the fact my 72 year old mother probably knows more about this football team than he does! but worst of all . I get tired of listening to him while he Stutters to come up with another four to five syllable word to try and incorporate into his sentence!!

and for the love of god....someone PLEASE teach this man how to pronounce the word Ask or Asked, how hard could this be.....Really

Last edited by PLAY2WIN; 08-14-2018 at 01:49 PM..
PLAY2WIN is offline   Reply With Quote