CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
tcmac08
COCKYWOOD
cack
DJ35
carolina_corpsman
spurrierismyhomeboy
kick_ball
GeoCocky66
Captain9Dragons
Spur's Addiction
Early Pre-Season Pre (677)
Japanese college foo (613)
Game 1 Against Coast (544)
Culture climb: The s (432)
The US is running ou (198)
Mission Impossible o (148)
Spelunking Anyone? (92)
Portnoy no longer co (17)
2018 SEC Tournament: (0)
Happy Birthday South (0)
Josh Belk
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
2018 SEC Tournament:**USC
Hosting as a 2 seed?
Chris Silva returning to
Japanese college football
2019 Commitment - Ryan Hi
Culture climb: The steady
Game 1 Against Coastal
Early Pre-Season Predicti

Old 02-08-2018, 12:28 PM   #1
uscgmck
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default CFN: 2018 SEC Recruiting & National Signing Day Class Rankings

http://collegefootballnews.com/2018/...class-rankings

5. South Carolina Gamecocks

Shhhhhhh, but itís really, really good. Everyone will be gushing over Georgiaís class, and Alabamaís is great Ė as always Ė but Will Muschamp came up with a tremendous haul to make the Gamecocks even more competitive in the East. Getting DT Rick Sandidge on National Signing Day brings in the likely anchor for the near future, and the infrastructure is being built with a few excellent offensive linemen. As is itís a great class, but throw in QB Dakereon Joyner and WR Josh Vann, and itís really, really strong.

uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 01:07 PM   #2
uscGRAD04
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 5833
uscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot materialuscGRAD04 is USC mascot material
Default Re: CFN: 2018 SEC Recruiting & National Signing Day Class Rankings

I love how our classes are steadily improving and we are adding quality depth each year.

2019 is off to a good start. With a favorable schedule and the new Football Ops bldg, I think good times are on the way.

Little Off topic but from that write up, Kentucky signed two kickers (K and a P). I would hate it if we did that. They are also having to replace their Senior starting QB, most likely with a JUCO guy. We have to beat those guys this year.
Old 02-08-2018, 01:38 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscGRAD04 View Post
I love how our classes are steadily improving and we are adding quality depth each year.

2019 is off to a good start. With a favorable schedule and the new Football Ops bldg, I think good times are on the way.

Little Off topic but from that write up, Kentucky signed two kickers (K and a P). I would hate it if we did that. They are also having to replace their Senior starting QB, most likely with a JUCO guy. We have to beat those guys this year.
We were left in terrible shape on both the fronts with our previous O/Line and D/Line
coaches. Some of the other critical positions were VASTLY under evaluated over the past
three years prior to Champs takeover as well. It will take us another (possibly 2) cylces
to get us to where we need to be to compete strongly in the SEC in regards to our O/line
and D/line. This year's class (especially the O/line) has made a nice gain on that goal. Wolf
had to coach the remnants of Elliott's Big, but slow and poorly athletic group and did a "decent"
job with what he had to work with. He now has a nice pool of guys to build on around his
coaching Philosophy and approach, anchored by a HUGE get with Wonnam. The foundation
he has will be young and will need much work, but I can tell you that we have the right man
to coach this group. We'll see some immediate improvements there. Great or Small ? will
be according to how fast our newbies pick up on Wolf's schemes and coaching style, but the
opportunity is there to see a couple or three Freshmen getting major PT on the O/line this
fall.

The D/line (IMO) has had the worse road back to SEC Caliber play of any of our positions
since our drastic decline after the 2013 season. Even that year was noticeably less
productive than the 2012 season. Deke Adams poor leadership there along with a drop off
in talent and depth in the secondary has caused our D/line to suffer badly over the last 3+
season, and we still have a lot of work to do, to get back to being on the same level of
competitiveness that we need to be. Champ has done a fantastic job of slowly patching the
problem, and getting the maximum production out of a the sparse talent and depth we've
had there. We still need to find a pass rush from our front (especially from the perimeter)
to keep the heat and pressure off the secondary. We need more quality depth in the
secondary to help support our Front and Linebackers as well. BUT........we're getting there
I think. We'll be faster and more athletic this year I'm sure, but still need to work on a strong
pass rush and some more depth along the line. (Quality depth). It's coming though. I
believe that.

Last edited by Spurticus; 02-08-2018 at 02:32 PM..
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 07:17 PM   #4
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1593234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

On paper, I guess this is a win for us. But these things are so subjective. We should almost never or never ever lose to UK and Vandy, yet we struggle with Vandy and UK has our number of late. All kids, 5 stars or no stars, are kids and susceptible to not getting up for a game. So it comes down to coaching and messaging.
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:09 PM   #5
zcoop
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1001405007
zcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPitzcoop rules the CockPit

We did pretty good.
zcoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2018, 11:55 PM   #6
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

I agree with Coach Muschamp that we will know in 2 years. As of this fall, I think we will see the trenches shored-up, but will likely rely on an hopefully improved group of veterans to replace Helms and Park (I think they will) and back up Bailey. Having six good freshman OL is a great move, with Wonnum looking like a good candidate to move up fast. Manos shows a lot of promise as well. On the DL, I think Stallworth will be replaced by a guy whose praises he often sang (Kinlaw), but having Ellis, Engabare, Sandidge, and maybe Gibbs pushing the other guys will be a big plus. Sandidge is thought to be likely to contribute early. Despite losing Hurst, tight end isn't a priority need and we're getting a walk-on. At WR, I think we did better than we needed to, bringing in two rangy guys and Vann who was a top prospect. We did well at QB and running back, bringing in players who can do big things. At linebacker, we came up short on numbers, but possibly have one (Lewis) who might play this year. Horn and Mukuamu both show a high ceiling as corners, and Roderick is a stout-looking safety candidate. Gipson is an ESPN 300 guy who is rated as a safety and corner. Hate we missed (likely) on Thompson, but it's more like he missed us. This may be largely a "lunchpail" class, but given how our unheralded guys did most of this year, I like the way the class fits us.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:23 AM   #7
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

From what I have read in other threads some people on here might be happier if we had a poor recruiting year. If we didn’t get the #1 class we never have a chance to win again? Considering where we are coming from this is a good class for us, no matter the ranking.
Old 02-09-2018, 09:04 AM   #8
GregoryHouse
Pompous Ass Hillbilly

Male

CockyCash: 262
GregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot materialGregoryHouse is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
From what I have read in other threads some people on here might be happier if we had a poor recruiting year. If we didnít get the #1 class we never have a chance to win again? Considering where we are coming from this is a good class for us, no matter the ranking.
Those people sound like arseholes.

Muschamp believes that recruiting within a five-hour radius of USC, "we can recruit good enough players to win the East every year."
GregoryHouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 10:13 AM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackland View Post
From what I have read in other threads some people on here might be happier if we had a poor recruiting year. If we didnít get the #1 class we never have a chance to win again? Considering where we are coming from this is a good class for us, no matter the ranking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregoryHouse View Post
Those people sound like arseholes.
Agreed with both points.....and to add:

The 2010 Signing class here at USC (the class that included Marcus Lattimore as "THE TROPHY GET") had a final Ranking of
34th Nationally. That class was the foundation group that led South Carolina to its' best run of seasons in the history of the
program (consecutive 11 win season in 2011, 2012 and 2013). It was the lowest ranking class in Steve Spurrier's tenure as
Head coach. The class that ended that slide for the program after the 2013 season going from 11 wins to 7 wins, to 3 wins
was the 2016 class that got us to 9 wins this past season. That Class ended up ranked 25th in the nation.

Rankings are just based on Numbers and opinions of a handful of people, of players out of High School. What matters is
the evaluation of our coaches to fill needs, and to get the best players that are available to fit those needs and the team's
style and Philosophy of play. Last year was an excellent indication that our coaching staff can get players that fit our
program goals regardless of their ranking out of HS, and our staffs ability to develop those players they felt could meet
those goals. We appear to have landed an even better class this year of talent our coaches feel we need, and not what
our coaches thought of their national Rankings. .... If last year's results continue along that trend, we should have an
outstanding season this year when you look at the overall class, the appearance of the schedule and the enthusiasm of
the coaches on both signing days. ........ NOT by what position we were in, in the final national Rankings of this class.
Old 02-10-2018, 01:55 PM   #10
Blackland
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5200
Blackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot materialBlackland is USC mascot material

It is a self fulfilling fail prophesy for a segment of our fanbase who cannot ever be satisfied with anything.
Old 02-10-2018, 05:47 PM   #11
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 179999999908811015
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material