CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GregoryHouse
Spurticus
Spur's Addiction
CockRoche
TaySC
RGHoskins
Ace Dilcock
AtlGAMECOCK
gAmkok
Three and Out
Is It Just Me..... (1286)
Ruin a TV Show by Ad (1142)
Why we should apprec (926)
What happened to UNC (809)
Watching Orange Luth (216)
Week 4: Around Colle (211)
**USC (1-1) vs. Vand (158)
UCF (122)
MBB off-season overs (91)
2020 Commitment - Mecose
Why we should appreciate
**USC (1-1) vs. Vanderbil
Gamecock Tipoff - October
Watching Orange Lutheran
***Women's Soccer 2018 Se
Is It Just Me.....
Willy B upgrades to cost
High school football has
Week 4: Around College Fo

Old 07-06-2018, 10:18 AM   #1
uscgmck
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default ESPN Who will be the nation's best WR in 2018?

http://www.espn.com/college-football...-receiver-2018

Andrea Adelson: Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
If Samuel can stay healthy for an entire season, he has the potential to be not just the best receiver in the country, but also the most electric player. Even though he played in just three games last season after breaking his leg, he still tied for the team lead with six total touchdowns. He also averaged 16.7 yards per catch. With Jake Bentley back at quarterback, Samuel will have his shot at a huge year.

uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 02:20 PM   #2
behindenemylines
Tater Edumacated

Male

CockyCash: 600
behindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot materialbehindenemylines is USC mascot material
Default Re: ESPN Who will be the nation's best WR in 2018?

How can this be when he is the 7th or 8th best receiver in the state said EVERY TATER?

He wasn't very tough, We were just missing tackles. - UGA safety Bacarri Rambo said

Y'all see 246. I see 300. - Latti

The ONLY disability in life is a bad attitude. - Matthew Jeffers
behindenemylines is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 05:19 PM   #3
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119335183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

We will have a very talented and deep receiver group this season, providing the group that is healthy right now stays healthy for most of the season. Terrill is already out for the season with his ACL, but I am still looking to see Davis step up and have a healthy season of production. Excited about Vann and Rush, but with the established depth as well as Vann joining the team late we may not see a whole lot of them. But very excited to see how the passing game looks this season....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:12 PM   #4
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

CockyCash: 3000
rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by behindenemylines View Post
How can this be when he is the 7th or 8th best receiver in the state said EVERY TATER?
Lol, exactly. Those necks would tell you that Deebo wouldn’t even see playing time there, joke. Here’s to hoping Deebo pulls another Ace Sanders on them in his last game there.
rt3891 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 08:24 PM   #5
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873434
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
http://www.espn.com/college-football...-receiver-2018

Andrea Adelson: Deebo Samuel, South Carolina
If Samuel can stay healthy for an entire season, he has the potential to be not just the best receiver in the country, but also the most electric player. Even though he played in just three games last season after breaking his leg, he still tied for the team lead with six total touchdowns. He also averaged 16.7 yards per catch. With Jake Bentley back at quarterback, Samuel will have his shot at a huge year.

I would concur with this analysis.......We went 9-4.....Deebo played in only 20% of our games......3 games, 6 touchdowns......Imagine if the kid had roughly maintained that pace last year......I hate to think of how he would have tore it up the 80% of the games he missed........I think he is one of the players with a lot too prove draft wise and personally, on the field.......It is going to be a great year for Deebo and for us in my honest opinion.

Gapo
Old 07-06-2018, 08:56 PM   #6
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Our offense will likely have to spread the ball around a lot this season because of the coverage that will be thrown at Deebo - and they have the receivers to do it with. Look at the strengths of the top bunch, and I think Deebo's chances of getting a lot of yardage will be good. He will likely see over/under doubles, but he's elusive enough to break some long ones anyway. Edwards can demand a lot of attention, and with a safety occupied, can go deep. Big Smith (Ortre) can overpower corners, and was a force on possession downs last year. Little Smith (Shi) has deep speed, and can be dangerous underneath. Dawkins and Davis offer a smasher and a slasher to worry about. At least 2 of the tight ends can beat a linebacker, and August and Crosby are proven pass-catchers. All of the help should give Deebo some space for working his magic.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:13 AM   #7
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I just hope we are better at play selection and play calling this year. Roper was bad. I don't know if BMac will lean on Warner (which would be good), or what.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 07:14 PM   #8
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

rt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudlyrt3891 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
I just hope we are better at play selection and play calling this year. Roper was bad. I don't know if BMac will lean on Warner (which would be good), or what.
From what I’ve heard, BMac is a sponge when it comes to taking advice. Werner will be very influential on BMac, and they will bat around ideas to see what is effective, unlike Roper did. This will allow Champ to all but fully release the reigns on the O and help influence TRob for the D more.
Old 07-07-2018, 07:27 PM   #9
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goofyboy View Post
Our offense will likely have to spread the ball around a lot this season because of the coverage that will be thrown at Deebo - and they have the receivers to do it with. Look at the strengths of the top bunch, and I think Deebo's chances of getting a lot of yardage will be good. He will likely see over/under doubles, but he's elusive enough to break some long ones anyway. Edwards can demand a lot of attention, and with a safety occupied, can go deep. Big Smith (Ortre) can overpower corners, and was a force on possession downs last year. Little Smith (Shi) has deep speed, and can be dangerous underneath. Dawkins and Davis offer a smasher and a slasher to worry about. At least 2 of the tight ends can beat a linebacker, and August and Crosby are proven pass-catchers. All of the help should give Deebo some space for working his magic.
Yeah, spot on. I think this offense has the chance to be top 50 nationally, which would be leaps and bounds over what We’ve seen under the first two years of this regime. If the D just continues to improve (which it’s bound to, cause Champ can focus more there with TRob), we should have a chance to win two or more games than last year.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:17 PM   #10
Goofyboy
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
Yeah, spot on. I think this offense has the chance to be top 50 nationally, which would be leaps and bounds over what We’ve seen under the first two years of this regime. If the D just continues to improve (which it’s bound to, cause Champ can focus more there with TRob), we should have a chance to win two or more games than last year.
My thoughts are more toward the offense improving a lot than the defense improving even a little. That's because of the quality players the defense lost and some reasons to hope that the offense be more effective running the ball and will use the variety of tools they have better than last year. I do believe the defense may be better statistically than last year because the offense will be more effective and lessen the pressure and time on the field and improve field position. I also think the pass rush will improve over last year for a number of reasons. If the D can maintain the turnover margin (a tough task), the whole machine may take a really notable step forward.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2018, 10:16 PM   #11
PFW79
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
PFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talonsPFW79 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by rt3891 View Post
So 11+ wins?

FWIW, every P5 11+ win team last year was top 20 in either Total Offense or Total Defense.
PFW79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 12:24 AM   #12
dreammachine
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 20500
dreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot materialdreammachine is USC mascot material

My goodness, with a healthy Deebo S on the field, along with B.Edwards and Ortre Smith, and then thrown in Jacob August or one of the other talented tight ends that we have, it has to be a "D.C." nightmare from hell.

Deebo S. can be as good as he wants to be and even if he is playing against double coverage, that means B. Edwards, O. Smith, or J. August will be going up against one on one coverage and if our O-Line is half-way good, then all four of our starting receivers should have a ton of catches by the end of the season.
dreammachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2018, 01:13 AM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1472263
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Deebo and Shi Smith have the best hands of any WR in the SEC. Don't @ me.
Old 07-08-2018, 01:00 PM   #14
rt3891
ISLAND COCK

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by PFW79 View Post
So 11+ wins?

FWIW, every P5 11+ win team last year was top 20 in either Total Offense or Total Defense.
If we can stay consistent and healthy, then yes, 11+ is certainly possible with our schedule. As for one side of a team being ranked in the top twenty, that makes sense. It may be a stretch to see the offense improve that drastically, but the defense certainly has a decent shot to get there by year’s end.