CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Spur's Addiction
rt3891
Captain9Dragons
SanAntonioCock
Ace Dilcock
PFW79
kingofnerf
Flameout12
GregoryHouse
BiscoCocky
Back On the Dating S (852)
18 days (613)
10 Oldest and Newest (441)
New claim from LaVar (417)
Sad day at Casa on t (379)
2021 - WBB - Hollywo (136)
Please explain: Litt (56)
WBB seat fee ripoff
2021 - WBB - Hollywood Ra
2019 - Jaylen McCollough
18 days
2019 - PG Josiah James (M
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
10 Oldest and Newest Coll
Binchotan Japanese charco
Where Does Joey Chestnut
2018 W/L Prediction - wit

Old 06-28-2018, 02:35 PM   #1
uscgmck
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default Preview 2018: SEC Team Rankings

Be sure and read their set up for the selection before you read.

The whole story
https://collegefootballnews.com/2018...-team-rankings

SEC Rankings: East

2. South Carolina Gamecocks

2018 South Carolina Preview
Should be ranked higher because … in a year when most of the East is in transition, the veteran Gamecocks have enough experience and coaching to take advantage. The offense will be far more dangerous and explosive, and as always under Will Muschamp, the defense will be strong.
Should be ranked lower because … the offensive line isn’t going to be a negative, but it’s hardly going to be a force against the stronger SEC lines. The secondary has a few new parts and don’t have much in the way of star power.

SEC Rankings: Total Conference

5. South Carolina

Preview 2018: It’s Not Pretty, But Effective
– What You Need To Know: Offense | Defense
2017 Final SEC CFN Ranking: 6
2017 Preseason SEC Ranking: 11

uscgmck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 02:46 PM   #2
CoverTwo
If C2 doesn't trust you..

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Preview 2018: SEC Team Rankings

I disagree about the O-Line.

Daley, Bailey, and Stanley are all going to be playing on Sundays next year.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2018, 11:42 PM   #3
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 63940
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
I disagree about the O-Line.

Daley, Bailey, and Stanley are all going to be playing on Sundays next year.
How about these guys playing a whole season..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:54 AM   #4
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5500
Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Both the East and the SEC rankings for us are about right. With what we have, I'm thinking 8-4/9-3 - but leaning towards 9-3.

I think the O-line - and the offense as a whole - will see improvement with the new staff, but I'm not expecting them to be elite right away. They will be good enough though to where we don't have to depend on the defense just to stay in the game.

We are firmly the second best team in the East right now. But if you beat UGA during Week 2, throw everything out the window.
Old 06-30-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I expect to see leaps and bounds type improvement in the offense now that Roper is gone. I don't think we will be bad at DB, even though we have some new faces. We will be solid there. My main worry is DT (beside Kinlaw), and depth at LB. We could be really weak when Kinlaw is out.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:58 AM   #6
Garnet&BlackOp
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
Garnet&BlackOp has hatched from the shell

Gotta see how we shape up on O. Were particularly poor in the 1st half of some games last year.
Garnet&BlackOp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 03:49 PM   #7
DJ35
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 11299
DJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot materialDJ35 is USC mascot material

I think that’s probably a pretty good assessment for us right now. Offensive line is the question mark for me as well. We have to be better in the run game and that starts up front.
DJ35 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 07:59 PM   #8
SC Gamecock
Cant upload an avatar...

Male

SC Gamecock has hatched from the shell

It’s an incredible time to be a gamecock. As evidence by all the recent commits. I’m excited as ever and truly never remember there being a time like this with wave after wave of skilled recruits committing. This is only scratching the surface for muschamp as well.

I remember when Brad lawing was coaching here, and how he was my favorite position coach because of his expertise in player development. Now we have a group of coaches who as a whole are great at player development, on top of being ace recruiters. I don’t see any reason why we shouldn’t be at least 2nd in the east behind UGA going forward for the next few years. Even if Mullen can get the gators back relatively quick, we have a group from the top down that will be able to compete with them. They’re now having to catch up to US, and from the looks of it; were not regressing anytime soon to let them get close.
SC Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:33 PM   #9
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

The O-Line is supposed be improved most years, but it almost never happens or the improvement in minimal at best. We have had plenty of bad O lines with future NFL players on it in the recent past as well. I am hoping this the year that ends. Maybe for once the Oline really can be a team strength and not our achilles heel?
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:54 PM   #10
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 6200
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EAtMoRTaYtErz View Post
The O-Line is supposed be improved most years, but it almost never happens or the improvement in minimal at best. We have had plenty of bad O lines with future NFL players on it in the recent past as well. I am hoping this the year that ends. Maybe for once the Oline really can be a team strength and not our achilles heel?

That was under Elliott. Wolf is a better coach.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:50 PM   #11
EAtMoRTaYtErz
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 7500
EAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot materialEAtMoRTaYtErz is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockymac View Post
That was under Elliott. Wolf is a better coach.
Same things were said when we replaced Hunt with Elliot. The most optimistic thing is that we will no longer be undersized in the middle of the line. Were going to be 310-320 lbs. across the entire line. It's not because of who the OL coach is.
EAtMoRTaYtErz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2018, 01:53 PM   #12
SC Gamecock
Cant upload an avatar...

Male

SC Gamecock has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Same things were said when we replaced Hunt with Elliot. The most optimistic thing is that we will no longer be undersized in the middle of the line. Were going to be 310-320 lbs. across the entire line. It's not because of who the OL coach is.
I thought the goal was to slim down the line? to be more agile and fit for more up tempo? Being big 300+ was Elliott’s philosophy that didn’t work.
Old 07-05-2018, 06:38 PM   #13
CockyandProud
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 7450
CockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot materialCockyandProud is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks0197 View Post
Both the East and the SEC rankings for us are about right. With what we have, I'm thinking 8-4/9-3 - but leaning towards 9-3.

I think the O-line - and the offense as a whole - will see improvement with the new staff, but I'm not expecting them to be elite right away. They will be good enough though to where we don't have to depend on the defense just to stay in the game.

We are firmly the second best team in the East right now. But if you beat UGA during Week 2, throw everything out the window.
If we don't win at least 10, with the schedule we have, I will be very surprised. I agree that Georgia is the key. If the guys can pull that one off, I think you have an undefeated Carolina team going into Clemson.
CockyandProud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:50 PM   #14
AndersonCock
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 3000
AndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot materialAndersonCock is USC mascot material

Nah I say 7-5. While I’ve been extremely impressed with the attitude Boom has brought we were a few plays away from losing to NC State, Louisiana Tech, Tennessee. I think we’ll have some growing pains with McClendon calling offense. We’re set up to be pretty darn good but when is the last time Gamecock football has lived up to high expectations? I’m expecting a 2014 season, a ton of hype but poor results. Idk I just have a feeling we’ll do poorly this year, chalk it up to being a Gamecock fan in Clemson’s backyard. But I think Boom will do great things with this program but Jake is white Tajh Boyd.
AndersonCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:05 PM   #15
Greyrooster
4 Star

Male

Greyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPitGreyrooster rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyandProud View Post
If we don't win at least 10, with the schedule we have, I will be very surprised. I agree that Georgia is the key. If the guys can pull that one off, I think you have an undefeated Carolina team going into Clemson.

That is a very strong possibility!!
And with the last regular season game, all bets are off!!!!!!
Especially if we pull off and win against Georgia........... and stay healthy!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #16
CackDiesel
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5440
CackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot materialCackDiesel is USC mascot material

Quote:
Wolfie replaced Hunt. Brought in good recruits, was widely respected as a coach.

Edit: And at the very least Wolf is a better evaluator of talent

Last edited by CackDiesel; 07-05-2018 at 09:55 PM.. Reason: Just ‘cause
CackDiesel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 09:52 PM   #17
FanofCarolina1
💩💩💩💩

Male

CockyCash: 4640
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

We all saw glimpses of Coach McClendon's uptempo offense and I'm really anticipating to see how well it works out this year.
Old 07-05-2018, 10:06 PM   #18
Nick29321
6th year senior

Male

CockyCash: 3300
Nick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPitNick29321 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndersonCock View Post
Nah I say 7-5. While I’ve been extremely impressed with the attitude Boom has brought we were a few plays away from losing to NC State, Louisiana Tech, Tennessee. I think we’ll have some growing pains with McClendon calling offense. We’re set up to be pretty darn good but when is the last time Gamecock football has lived up to high expectations? I’m expecting a 2014 season, a ton of hype but poor results. Idk I just have a feeling we’ll do poorly this year, chalk it up to being a Gamecock fan in Clemson’s backyard. But I think Boom will do great things with this program but Jake is white Tajh Boyd.
I would agree with you if we hadn't seen bmac run the O at all. Coming back from 19-3 against mich. With only a few weeks of prep for him to take over play calling makes me think we will be ok. I'm thinking 8-4 or 9-3.
Isaiah 40:31
Nick29321 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 04:34 AM   #19
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20200
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
I wouldn't say that. There are a few toss up games on there and 2 games where we're going to be big dogs on the spread. The number I'd be surprised if we don't hit is 8. I think there is definitely the chance to win the East and go to ATL but 10 wins also certainly isn't where the bar should be set coming into this year. Keep in mind Vegas has our O/U at 7.5.
gotrice? is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2018, 07:34 AM   #20
Gamecocks0197
Game MVP

Male

Gamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot materialGamecocks0197 is USC mascot material

Quote:
10-2 is the best case scenario. Depending on who we play, a bowl win after a 9-3 regular season could happen, but I don't know about a 10-2 regular season. So much uncertainty right now.

The month of November is tough and by that time, you start to have players get banged up. It's an even number year, so @Florida and @Clemson in 2/3 weeks is a lot.