CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ConwayGamecock
SanAntonioCock
Wisercock
GeoCocky66
thekob
Spur's Addiction
Captain9Dragons
Cockhornleghorn
Ahmad
Ironfan
Is this week the vet (220)
2020 OT - Chris Morr (106)
2021 ATH/RB - Will S (103)
Spam - Treet - & (51)
4 Chattanooga Ticket (13)
Spam - Treet - & Pork
***Women's Soccer 2018 Se
2019 WBB - Rickea Jackson
How Good Can Frank's Team
Cryptocurrency
2019 - Michel Dukes
2020 - Porter Rooks
Discussion: 2019 Recruiti
UT-Chattanooga Game Time
WBB: Leticia Amihere #2 i

Old 06-29-2018, 08:08 AM   #1
Ironfan
Household Name

CockyCash: 933396
Ironfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot materialIronfan is USC mascot material
Default Facilities too old?

This maybe the wrong forum but It has a lot to do with recruiting. I read a recent quote from Sorrells on our facilities. He said they were way older then other programs.

Quote:
“It wasn’t what I expected, but then again I’m not a big facilities person so I really don’t care about the facilities and all that,” he said. “But the coaches and all that, everybody was cool. Even with their facilities being a little older and not newly renovated, everything is still competing with a lot of these of top D-1 programs.”
With the New football facility what is he talking about?

Last edited by Ironfan; 06-29-2018 at 08:20 AM..
Ironfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:15 AM   #2
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?
Default Re: Facilities to old?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
This maybe the wrong forum but It has a lot to do with recruiting. I read a recent quote from Sorrells on our facilities. He saied they were way older then other programs.

I don't think the Football Ops Building is ready to be toured yet so all he could see is what we already have in place. The facilities will be state of the art once that's completed in December, currently they're not.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 08:32 AM   #3
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20000
Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gotrice? View Post
I don't think the Football Ops Building is ready to be toured yet so all he could see is what we already have in place. The facilities will be state of the art once that's completed in December, currently they're not.
The Dodie is not old and neither is the indoor practice facility. Only thing I can think of is that they took him through the older parts of WB - weight room, etc. which are dated. But even there the outside has been recently renovated. Plus, the football operations center is nearly complete. He would have at least seen the outside of it.

Maybe he toured the campus? There are some older buildings that have not been renovated. But there is a lot of construction going on too - especially on Assembly Street.

Not sure what he is talking about.

This is the first time I've heard a recruit say something like this and it is disconcerting.
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 AM   #4
gotrice?
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 20020
gotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot materialgotrice? is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gotrice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wisercock View Post
The Dodie is not old and neither is the indoor practice facility. Only thing I can think of is that they took him through the older parts of WB - weight room, etc. which are dated. But even there the outside has been recently renovated. Plus, the football operations center is nearly complete. He would have at least seen the outside of it.

Maybe he toured the campus? There are some older buildings that have not been renovated. But there is a lot of construction going on too - especially on Assembly Street.

Not sure what he is talking about.

This is the first time I've heard a recruit say something like this and it is disconcerting.
The parts in WB are going to look dated and without a completed football facility ops building in general compared to some other schools it's going to look dated. Remember Oregon is one of the schools he has visited, A&M is another, you get the idea. When you go to a place with an all-in-one building then have to travel around to different areas to get to all the facilities it's going to seem pretty dated. Also while the Dodie seems new to you it was finished over 8 years ago, it's no longer brand new by any means. It's part of the reason this Football Ops building is huge for us because stuff is a bit dated compared to the rest of college football in this arms race era.
gotrice? is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
ba55nec4r
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
ba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot materialba55nec4r is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironfan View Post
This maybe the wrong forum but It has a lot to do with recruiting. I read a recent quote from Sorrells on our facilities. He said they were way older then other programs.

He didn't say they were "way older" he said a little older but still competing with D1 schools. Not sure where you're getting the way older thing from.

But with that being said, yes our facilities in general are a little behind standard. That's why we're constantly upgrading.
ba55nec4r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 10:00 AM   #6
davisd9
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 450
davisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot materialdavisd9 is USC mascot material

Maybe he got SC and UF confused.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:06 AM   #7
Roosterboy
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Re: Facilities too old?

Currently, the facilities may look a tad dated.....but when the ops building is completed, facilities should not be an issue.

Hell, in five years Oregon, Alabama and Clemson's facilities will look dated.

Facilities are a part of recruiting, but I wouldn't get too caught up in it. If a player does not pick us on facilities, it means our coaches did not do a good enough job building the relationship, or the player REALLY did not want to come here, and is fishing for an excuse to tell the media.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 11:20 AM   #8
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 101850400
Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Thank god the title of this thread was fixed. "Facilities to old?" was causing me a lot of heartburn.
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 12:55 PM   #9
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Wisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot materialWisercock is USC mascot material

Quote:
The parts in WB are going to look dated and without a completed football facility ops building in general compared to some other schools it's going to look dated. Remember Oregon is one of the schools he has visited, A&M is another, you get the idea. When you go to a place with an all-in-one building then have to travel around to different areas to get to all the facilities it's going to seem pretty dated. Also while the Dodie seems new to you it was finished over 8 years ago, it's no longer brand new by any means. It's part of the reason this Football Ops building is huge for us because stuff is a bit dated compared to the rest of college football in this arms race era.
That has been the problem with our facilities for a long time. Everything is spread out and the stadium is a long way from the campus. Even after the Operations Center is complete players will still have to walk across Bluff Road.

A decision was made a long time ago to not move the football stadium. It is what it is ...
Old 06-29-2018, 12:59 PM   #10
wincocks84
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 5775
wincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot materialwincocks84 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Remember Oregon is one of the schools he has visited, A&M is another, you get the idea.
I'm sure he was comparing us to these schools. He mentioned that it wasn't a big deal to him anyway which is good. Hopefully we won't let off once the ops building is opened though.
wincocks84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 02:38 PM   #11
86 GradCock
Spring Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2500
86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material86 GradCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
That has been the problem with our facilities for a long time. Everything is spread out and the stadium is a long way from the campus. Even after the Operations Center is complete players will still have to walk across Bluff Road.

A decision was made a long time ago to not move the football stadium. It is what it is ...
I don't see it as a problem. I get excited seeing Williams-Brice in the distance as you come down Assembly on game day. And, being able to see acres of tailgating fans as you approach creates a great atmosphere for the game. You can't get that from places like UGA where the stadium view is blocked by buildings and the tailgate scene is tucked into small lots scattered about the campus.
86 GradCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 03:00 PM   #12
elcid99
cant kill da rooster

Male

CockyCash: 196405
elcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot materialelcid99 is USC mascot material

Sorrells basically said, I don't give a crap about facilities...I like the coaches
Old 06-29-2018, 04:11 PM   #13
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 86 GradCock View Post
I don't see it as a problem. I get excited seeing Williams-Brice in the distance as you come down Assembly on game day. And, being able to see acres of tailgating fans as you approach creates a great atmosphere for the game. You can't get that from places like UGA where the stadium view is blocked by buildings and the tailgate scene is tucked into small lots scattered about the campus.
It is quite a sight for fans coming down Bluff Road. Especially for a night game when the lights are on. You can see the place from the I-26 & I-77 interchange.

But there are advantages for a stadium to be nestled down in close to the campus like UGA and Clemson. Whether it is a recruiting advantage I don't know, but schools like UGA and Clemson do weave location into their recruiting sell.
Old 06-29-2018, 05:54 PM   #14
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 119154183
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
Sorrells basically said, I don't give a crap about facilities...I like the coaches
Then one wonders what type of questions were asked of him to warrant his answer in that fashion.....

There were substantial upgrades within WB as well during Spurrier's first half of his time at USC: the player's locker room, the trainers facilities, the player's lounge, and other peripheral areas were upgraded where at the time pictures were posted here and they all looked pretty tight. Of course, we're now talking upwards of 10 years ago, and if you're not moving forward you're standing still, but this is still SEC standards which is usually heads and shoulders above most other programs - even most other Power 5 programs with the exception of 1-2 dozen programs.

Then add to what has been done outside of WB, the IPF, the Dodie, the 650 Dorms, and the oncoming FB Ops bldg., and It's hard to see how recruits are able to look past all that to find anything else that's "old". I mean yeah Williams-Brice has been around for some years, but not every program has spanking brand new FB stadiums. Overall I think the facilities at USC are well beyond head and shoulders above where they were just 10 years ago....

Also, he was once a Florida commitment? UF has won some NCs in recent years, but they are way behind the rest of the SEC in facility upgrades, so I think USC fares quite favorably to UF in that regard....
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2018, 05:56 PM   #15
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'

Male

CockyCash: 1001856
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

They must have shown him a tour of the Pee Wall and some doo doo ice.
Old 06-29-2018, 09:19 PM   #16
Three and Out
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 20500
Three and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot materialThree and Out is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by elcid99 View Post
Bingo
Three and Out is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 12:27 AM   #17
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Even after the Operations Center is complete players will still have to walk across Bluff Road..
Not true..the players will drive and park near the ops center and practice facility..that facility is self contained . The reason given for the ops center was to not have to walk across bluff..

Last edited by sc455; 06-30-2018 at 10:26 AM..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 08:35 AM   #18
superfly
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
superfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot materialsuperfly is USC mascot material

Darn it...he had to use the restroom touring WB and the pee trough was seen. I hate our restrooms and the underbelly of the stadium is not old...it's antiquated !!!!!! Fix it !!!!!
superfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 10:28 AM   #19
sc455
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 1300000
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfly View Post
Darn it...he had to use the restroom touring WB and the pee trough was seen. I hate our restrooms and the underbelly of the stadium is not old...it's antiquated !!!!!! Fix it !!!!!
They wont...end zone bathrooms don't bring in one single penny..I was saying the same thing when I was 20...now I'm 50..it goes fast.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2018, 11:57 AM   #20
Wisercock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Not true..the players will drive and park near the ops center and practice facility..that facility is self contained . The reason given for the ops center was to not have to walk across bluff..
You misunderstood. They have to walk from the Ops Center to WB either on game day or for practicing under the lights. That little bus ride thing they do at CU on game day is a selling point.