CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Yearofthegamecock
jrussjr
b381l
ReadR00ster
Acockolypse Now
ACPhilson
kick_ball
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
TAFC 5 1981
Auburn looks beatabl (3646)
Three young corners (1713)
**official Vandy pre (1446)
King - South Carolin (1155)
Haven't seen one unb (643)
No Vandy Predictions (574)
Funny Golf Story Abo (395)
Zumwalt Stealth Dest (385)
Texas Tech assistant (277)
Defense Tackles (272)
Next years RB situation
Auburn Stealing Signals?
Well, as it turns out, we
**official Vandy predicti
Funny Golf Story About HB
2016 - Bryan Edwards
Good crowd for volleyball
Three young corners progr
2015 Chris Silva PF (6-9,
BBQ Hash Recipes?

Old 03-17-2014, 01:15 AM   #1
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

CockyCash: 300
Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material
Default Cosmos

I just watched the 2nd episode of Cosmos on Fox with Neil Degrass Tyson, and could not help but feel a little blown away by the necessity to throw GOD under the bus here. Is it not ok to believe in both God and Science? I am one that believes in both with sincerity.

With that said, I do enjoy the show, and I hope reality shows are soon replaced with educational ones such as this.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Cockytalk's own conspiracy theorist.

Gamecocks1137 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:58 AM   #2
MisterClowney
It's A Revolution

Male

CockyCash: 685
MisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot materialMisterClowney is USC mascot material
Default Re: Cosmos

I watched the first episode.. and while I wished it would have not been so definitely biased towards science (IMO believing in science or even extraterrestrials doesn't mean you can't believe in God) that wasn't the reason I didn't like the show.

It wasn't educational enough for me. I knew most if not all of the stuff that was discussed. Wished it would have gone deeper than what I learned in Astronomy 101. Also did not like the cartoon part, felt it went on way too long.

Wanted it to be more like a Planet Earth with Space. Turned out to be more of a soapbox for Scientology.
Old 03-17-2014, 08:02 AM   #3
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecocks1137 View Post
I just watched the 2nd episode of Cosmos on Fox with Neil Degrass Tyson, and could not help but feel a little blown away by the necessity to throw GOD under the bus here. Is it not ok to believe in both God and Science? I am one that believes in both with sincerity.

With that said, I do enjoy the show, and I hope reality shows are soon replaced with educational ones such as this.

I watched most of the second episode and therefore i might have missed it- but how did they throw God under the bus?

Remember- a show like this is not going to specifically "credit" God with something. That is not the intent of the show. It is a purely science based show. So, unless it can be observed (or to the best of science's ability) then it's not going to be referenced.
3MTA3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 08:03 AM   #4
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material3MTA3 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post
I watched the first episode.. and while I wished it would have not been so definitely biased towards science (IMO believing in science or even extraterrestrials doesn't mean you can't believe in God) that wasn't the reason I didn't like the show.

It wasn't educational enough for me. I knew most if not all of the stuff that was discussed. Wished it would have gone deeper than what I learned in Astronomy 101. Also did not like the cartoon part, felt it went on way too long.

Wanted it to be more like a Planet Earth with Space. Turned out to be more of a soapbox for Scientology.

Scientology?

Um, no. Try again.
Old 03-17-2014, 11:20 AM   #5
Thenardier
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterClowney View Post

Dou you actually know what Scientology believes?
Thenardier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:36 AM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post
I watched most of the second episode and therefore i might have missed it- but how did they throw God under the bus?

Remember- a show like this is not going to specifically "credit" God with something. That is not the intent of the show. It is a purely science based show. So, unless it can be observed (or to the best of science's ability) then it's not going to be referenced.
Science based shows HAVE to leave out God? I must have missed that...and if that is what it means, then that makes zero sense

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:56 AM   #7
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Are they obligated to mention religion?

A show with Neil DeGrasse Tyson is going to be strictly centered on scientific discovery.

My question is, what would you have the show say?
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 11:58 AM   #8
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Gamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot materialGamecocks1137 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3MTA3 View Post

They basically argued against a form of intelligent design the entire episode. Instead of strictly talking about our DNA and how we are all similar to every living organism on Earth, they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.

"Are you a millionaire right now?" 'Nah, not yet. I'm still broke." - Jadeveon Clowney

Old 03-17-2014, 12:18 PM   #9
Mr.101
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 21018809
Mr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot materialMr.101 is USC mascot material

Quote:
they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.
The purpose of the show is to present what scientists have spent centuries working to discover and educating people about said discoveries. If it disagrees with biblical creation or intelligent design in general.....oh well....
Mr.101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:19 PM   #10
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.101 View Post
The purpose of the show is to present what scientists have spent centuries working to discover and educating people about said discoveries. If it disagrees with biblical creation or intelligent design in general.....oh well....
Your not getting what I am saying, they went out of the way to do so. Picking an agenda, and if Seth McFarlane is producing this show, then I can see why they are doing so.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:24 PM   #11
Cockypantherfan
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Cockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot materialCockypantherfan is USC mascot material

Quote:

If the show is about science why do you feel religion needs to be brought into it?
Cockypantherfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:43 PM   #12
Gamecocks1137
Apparent Sunshine Pumper

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockypantherfan View Post
If the show is about science why do you feel religion needs to be brought into it?
This is the point I am making, they went way out of their own way to bring it in, and then try to disprove it.

Old 03-17-2014, 12:48 PM   #13
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
This is the point I am making, they went way out of their own way to bring it in, and then try to disprove it.
They basically created a strawman...is that what you are saying?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 12:50 PM   #14
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Thenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot materialThenardier is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.101 View Post
This.

Only problem I has with it was their story about Bruno. Bruno was executed for other things, though to be fair he shouldn't of been executed anyway. Diggers was the real enlightened astronomer who helped expand cosmic thinking.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:32 PM   #15
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Science based shows HAVE to leave out God? I must have missed that...and if that is what it means, then that makes zero sense

What purpose would inserting God have for a show like Cosmos?
Old 03-17-2014, 03:33 PM   #16
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Default Cosmos

Quote:
They basically argued against a form of intelligent design the entire episode. Instead of strictly talking about our DNA and how we are all similar to every living organism on Earth, they went out of the way to argue against intelligent design.

That's not the way I perceived it.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:37 PM   #17
Thenardier
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Well, seeing how it's about science, and not religion, you can understand why they talked about science.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:40 PM   #18
Cheezy
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1001240
Cheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot materialCheezy is USC mascot material

Fantastic show, and I'm glad that it's back on the air. Hopefully some young minds will be opened and enlightened.
Cheezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 03:43 PM   #19
3MTA3
Game MVP

Male

Default Cosmos

Funny thing is- as I was watching it, and seein evolution being discussed, I knew SOME evangelicals would shit a brick because God was not specifically mentioned.
Old 03-17-2014, 03:45 PM   #20
GarnetInChicago
シカゴのカキ

Male

CockyCash: 45500347
GarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot materialGarnetInChicago is USC mascot material

If the scientists and people behind the show believe that intelligent design is out of sync with their scientific views, then so be it. There is nothing wrong with bringing it up. Just like there's nothing wrong with presenting an opinion about believing in intelligent design. There are plenty of programs on television that do both.
GarnetInChicago is offline   Reply With Quote