CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Support > Hall of Fame

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
spareparts
Acockolypse Now
Lonnie
Spurticus
COCKYTALKIN
elcid99
BiggerLSUfan
markp_vip
Gamecocks1137
sporkgod50
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1149)
Ranking the Opposing (1009)
Not a Rival.. (760)
Gamecock Coaches as (576)
help with army insig (410)
NCAA Football 15 (352)
Hello Gamecocks! (280)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (242)
I'm a grand godfathe (240)
George Miller revisi (214)
Clemson Recruiting...how
Gamecock Coaches as Recru
Ced Cooper's 40 Time
2015 - Mon Denson
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Green and Lammons
Parking needed
Not a Rival..
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs TxA&

Closed Thread

Old 08-03-2011, 11:07 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default Cockytalk Practice Report: 8/3/11

Cockytalk Practice Report: 8/3/11

The team came out tonight almost as hot as the weather, and for the most part, it was a very upbeat and energetic workout for a first practice. All in all Iíd say the team looked really sharp coming out of the gates and for the first time in the years Iíve been doing these reports, I can say the team looks good getting started. There were a few players wearing yellow jerseys but only one or two of those didnít participated in the drills or team workouts. Not sure what was up with Alshon. He came out with a coach with a towel around his neck (no yellow jersey) but did not work out with the team at all. No warm ups, drills or snaps from the Skels or 11 on ll? Iím sure something will be said to the media to clear this up.

As for the practice, the HUGE crowd was there to witness the new ďFranchiseĒ player in Jedeveon Clowney and he did not fail to deliver a good show. JC looks fast standing still, and is extremely quick and athletic running the individual drills, however he looked a little lost running team drills. Ellis Johnson and Brad Lawing called him out a few times for being out of position and not running the drills full speed, because he seemed unsure a few times of what he was supposed to be doing. Before anyone draws any negative conclusions from this, let me say that Coach Lawing had to do this same thing with Eric Norwood when he was a true freshman player, and we all know Eric turned out just fine. Regardless of how he looked running team drills, once the team lined up for 11 on 11 and he was in the lineup, the light switch was flipped and he looked every bit of the nationís number one recruit last season. Had the team been running contact, JC would have been a one man demolition crew and destroyed the backfield. Most of the time he was working against Will Sport at the second unit left Tackle or the Tight End on that side, but Jedeveon was just so fast off the snap, I donít think he was ever touched by an offensive lineman. Once JC learns the finer points of the DE position, he is going to LIGHT IT UP!!

Starting the night was John Butler and the punting team working on full team drills. Right now the punting duties looks like a battle between Joey Scibner-Howard and Patrick Fish, but in the warm ups, the young transfer player Mike Williamson was booming some punts pretty good himself. All three of these guys have some tremendous hang time (IMO) better than what we saw out of Ryan Succop and Spencer Lanning, but the distance was about 40-45 yards. Neither of the two top punters were consistent though. Will be interesting to see who secures the duty this fall. It looks like our Field Goal Kicker will be Jay Wooten. He was the only one of the kickers who got any reps during the FG practice, and except for his first kick of 30 yards which went wide right, he made everything else moving back to the 45 with room to spare. Tonight coach Butler had about 5 guys working on receiving punts. Bruce Ellington, Vic Hampton, Demiere Byrd, Sheldon Royster and Stephon Gilmore. Not sure what the issue was with Byrd, but he had some problems hanging on to the punts pretty much all night. Royster also dropped a couple of punts. Stephon was the only one of the guys who looked comfortable receiving the kicks, and was perfect on the night.

As the workouts got heated up, a few of the freshmen players started making themselves known. Especially Brandon Wilds at Running Back and Drew Owens at Tight End. Owens was getting picked up by all the QBs and made some nice catches in the individual drills, one on one, and Skels. I only saw him catch one pass during the 11 on 11, but I think it was the only pass that was thrown to him. Bruce Ellington had a couple of nice receptions, but missed a couple he should have had as well. This during the Skels. The practice started out kind of slow during the one on ones, as both Connor Shaw and Stephen Garcia had trouble connecting on their first three or four passes, but after the initial chill was shaken, both QBs started hitting on a consistent basis the rest of the night as the offense progressed during the team part of the practice (1 on 1s, to Skels, to 11 on 11). Neither QB got picked, although both Shaw and Garcia had one play each where the DBs made nice reads and stepped up to almost come up with the picks. Other than that however, both guys made some really nice reads and throws throughout the evening. Once during the one on ones, Demiere Byrd slipped by the defender and left him 10 yards behind. Garcia fired a nice throw about 35 yards deep that hit Byrd in the hands, but he was not able to bring the ball in. There was also a play during the one on one where DL Moore made a nice out and up move down the sidelines to get behind his man, and Shaw dropped one over his shoulder. This one too was dropped that would have been a huge pick up. If I remember, those were the only two glaring mistakes our WRs made during the night, but they were big mistakes. One of the plays during the one on one that got the fans (large crowd of them too), fired up was when Stephon Gilmore lined up with Bruce Ellington. During the one on one, itís basically like game situation, so the DB makes a decision to either back up and cover, or check the guy at the line and make the WR fight through it to try to disrupt the timing between him and the QB. On this one play, Stephon decided to make Ellington work for it, and I donít think Ellington expected the SHOT Gilmore delivered to Bruceís chest. The thud was almost heard all the way down on the opposite end of the field where the majority of fans were standing and almost knocked Bruce off his feet. By the time Ellington recovered and shook off the blow, the play was whistled dead by Coach Spurrier who was laughing at the WRs look of shock! One of the DBs who impressed me tonight was Vic Hampton. He had some flashes of good play this past spring, but according to the show he put on tonight, I really think this guy did some remarkable work this summer. Hopefully he can shake the ďissuesĒ he had that almost resulted in him leaving the program, because this young man has some sick skills as a cover corner.
I was also very pleased with the continued progress of Kenny Miles. Kenny had a great workout and did a good job running and receiving all night long. Marcus is ďMarcusĒ, but Iím really hoping to see Miles get a lot more PT than the previous year because he is a very good number two guy right now.

When the team moved over to the Skels, the intensity level picked up a little bit. It was during these reps that both Connor and Stephen had their near picks, but they also made some really nice throws as well. Between the two of them, Stephen seemed to have the edge during the one on ones (slightly), but Shaw (IMO) had the better of the two results during the Skels (again, slightly). Most of the passes were timing routes (slants, outs and short screens), but Connor hooked up with Byrd for a long pass play and a pick up of around 40 yards. There was one long pass attempt from Garcia to Moore on a deep out route, but that pass was overthrown. Probably Garciaís worse thrown ball of the practice. It was during the Skels that I got to see the first real test for Tanner McEvoy. You could tell the timing between QB and WR dropped off a good bit after Shaw and Garciaís reps were finished and the other QBs got their reps. The number of over and under thrown balls increased, but there was one really nice completion from McEvoy to Shamier Jeffery on a deep Fly pattern that Mc laid over the shoulder of the WR for a nice 30+ yard completion. Little work to do there, but McEvoy looks like he has a the tools to develop into a good solid QB.

The Energy sort of leveled off when the team lined up for 11 on 11, but there was still some nice work turned in by a lot of Skill players. There were a few times when both Shaw and Garcia had to tuck the ball and run because no one was open, and there was those times when Clowney Cometh, and the entire play got blown up. The nicest play of the night from the 11 on 11 though came on a really nice looking, and well ran Wheel Route from Garcia to Shon Carson. Shon lined up in the backfield and after a fake to him on a draw, Carson slipped outside the right tackle and was at full speed up the sideline. Garcia threw a nice arch about 15 Ė 20 yards down the sideline to a spot, and Carson ran under it and took it in stride, running by the defenders on the way to the completion. Really nice looking play there !

Some other things to note:
The team ran a one on one drill with RBs and TEs working against the corners and linebackers. Brandon Wilds was impressive coming out of the backfield and breaking the ankles of the defenders with some nice moves, both to get clear, and after he caught the ball. Drew Owens was also very impressive here. Making some really nice moves to shake the defenders and get into the route. Never dropped a pass all night.
Brandon Shell was wearing a yellow jersey, but didnít hamper him from working on drills with the O/Line, although he did not participate in the 11 on 11 tonight. He was very fast looking running drills and hitting the pads. Hope to see this guy in full gear and bringing the heat to the D/Line this fall.

Devon Taylor didnít get a lot of reps tonight during 11 on 11. Looks like they are taking some long looks and giving guys like Clowney and Ingram more snaps with the first unit. What time Devon was in there though, he looked really good. Seems to have added some more mass to his legs and arms this summer.

Well, thatís it for the Fall unless they open another practice, the updates will be given by the coaches in post practice interviews the remainder of the fall, until gameday.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:10 PM   #2
Flips
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
Flips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talonsFlips has developed his gaff and talons
Default Re: Cockytalk Pracitice Report: 8/3/11

Thank you, kind sir. But I must ask, who is this Clown you speak of?
Old 08-03-2011, 11:17 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flips View Post
Thank you, kind sir. But I must ask, who is this Clown you speak of?
As God is my witness. . . If he stays healthy, Jedeveon Clowney will be
the best Defensive player in USC Football history. The guy is FAST off
the ball like nothing I've ever seen before. . . . GOOD GOD THAT GUY HAS
A QUICK FIRST STEP !!!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:19 PM   #4
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

The alshon question is apparently about to get covered on Live 5 news.. (Charleston)

Old 08-03-2011, 11:21 PM   #5
Truly Cocky
Born & Bred

Male

CockyCash: 50500500
Truly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot materialTruly Cocky is USC mascot material

You don't know how great it makes me feel to read your practice reports Spurt.

Excellent job as usual

Oh and alshon was in a car accident, that's why he was held out of practice
Old 08-03-2011, 11:22 PM   #6
FlyingCock
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 485
FlyingCock is learning to peck

-He was in a car wreck (got rear endend), should be back in a couple of days. They are holding him out as a precaution.

-Also, more practices will be open including tomorrow.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:23 PM   #7
JT21
#Team Good QB Play

Male

JT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudlyJT21 is crowing loudly

Nice report. What did you think of Ace Sanders? The TBS guys were absolutely raving about how he looked tonight.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #8
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Cocky View Post

Excellent job as usual

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyingCock View Post
He was in a car wreck, should be back in a couple of days.

More practices will be open including tomorrow.
yep, thanks guys

I wish I had refreshed the page sooner so I didn't have to wait 20 minutes to get a 1 sentence answer on the news lol.

Old 08-03-2011, 11:24 PM   #9
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truly Cocky View Post

Excellent job as usual

Thanks for the info. . . He didn't seem to be too bad. He was wearing his
regular practice gear, and came in with a coach / trainer. He was with
the WRs all night, but didn't do any drills. Started wondering if it was for
disiplinary reasons. . . . Glad he's OK, and hopefully he'll be 100% Sept. 3
Old 08-03-2011, 11:25 PM   #10
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

I know this is your practice report but a good quote SOS said about him from today.

Free Q&A from TBS

Quote:
What are your initial impressions of Clowney?

He plays too fast out here. We have to teach him practice speed. He was going right around Will Sport faster than we could … We try to let the quarterbacks throw the ball in these drills with no pads on. We can’t slow Jadeveon down. We’ll have to take him out of the game to slow him down.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
Old 08-03-2011, 11:27 PM   #11
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by JT21 View Post
Nice report. What did you think of Ace Sanders? The TBS guys were absolutely raving about how he looked tonight.
Actually forgot to include Ace in the report, but Yeah, Ace was on his
game tonight too. He got mostly shorter routes like slants and outs, but
the guy was making those into long gainers with his speed after the catch.
SOS was making a lot of really nice remarks to him after those catches too.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:29 PM   #12
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Just got home from practice. Wow did those guys look impressive.

The DLine was very impressive. Clowney, Devin Taylor, Melvin Ingram, and Corey Robinson were the ones I was most impressed with. Robinson is a freshman and is a total hoss. He is every bit of 350. Clowney is so strong. His sled moved the quickest on their drills.

As was the WR group even without Alshon. Folks, Damiere Byrd is fast. He turned DJ around on a deep post and left him. Not sure what happened with Bruce Ellington and Stephon Gilmore but I think they got in a small fight. Not sure though. Shamir Jeffery looked good as well. Bruce Ellington is a legit shot for a spot. Ace looks like he has bulked up a little this summer. Looks a lot more physical.

Tanner McEvoy looked like the 2nd best QB on the field tonight. Threw 1 pick on a deep in route that was to high. Garcia threw some relly nice passes tonight. One thing that looked really good was he had no underthrows in any of the live drills they did.

One thing that I saw that worries me a little was the punting. I saw a few good kicks but most were short ducks. Wooten nailed a few long FGs that would have been good from 55+. Couple hit the camera loft.

For the most part, I was really impressed with the potential. Those guys were really excited tonight. Lot of energy from the fans. Great practice for what I saw.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #13
Carolina_Harv
Displaced and Disgruntled

Male

CockyCash: 10088029
Carolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot materialCarolina_Harv is USC mascot material

And Spurt looks like there will be more practices open so keep the reports coming!

**The poster formally known as CarolinaCockStar
**SIG created by cack
Old 08-03-2011, 11:30 PM   #14
SterlingBrooks
Lock Down Corner

Male

CockyCash: 180386
SterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot materialSterlingBrooks is USC mascot material

Thanks man, all that sounds good except for Alshon but looks like he will be fine.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:32 PM   #15
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
I know this is your practice report but a good quote SOS said about him from today.

Free Q&A from TBS

Quote:

He plays too fast out here. We have to teach him practice speed. He was going right around Will Sport faster than we could … We try to let the quarterbacks throw the ball in these drills with no pads on. We can’t slow Jadeveon down. We’ll have to take him out of the game to slow him down.

He actually got tired of having to slow up when he got to the QBs, and
wanted to Hit Somebody. . . . Toward the end of the 11 on 11, he ran
through the stopsign (so to speak) and ran into McEvoy without wrapping
him up for a tackle. Knocked Mc back about four steps and the coach
had to run over and tell JC to chill !! . . .God help the QBs of our
opponents when we take the leash off this guy

Old 08-03-2011, 11:33 PM   #16
Joes_gamecocks
Hates Taters & Tarholes

Male

Joes_gamecocks has hatched from the shell

Great report. Thanks!
Old 08-03-2011, 11:34 PM   #17
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Pretty impressive Miles was still able to play well considering he was playing pickup bball at Blatt right up until practice.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #18
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

woohoo! now I know it's getting close to football season when Spurt's reports come out!

Thanks for the great write up!

What I make with my hands I give with my heart

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
Old 08-03-2011, 11:37 PM   #19
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:

He plays too fast out here. We have to teach him practice speed. He was going right around Will Sport faster than we could Ö We try to let the quarterbacks throw the ball in these drills with no pads on. We canít slow Jadeveon down. Weíll have to take him out of the game to slow him down.
Gee....if he's too fast, maybe we can put ankle weights on him to slow him down? At least give the other teams a chance.
Old 08-03-2011, 11:42 PM   #20
c-girl
51 and proud of it!

Female

CockyCash: 79300000
c-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot materialc-girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
Gee....if he's too fast, maybe we can put ankle weights on him to slow him down? At least give the other teams a chance.
ankle weights? sounds like we need to hook up a sled with a few redshirt players hanging on for a ride!

What I make with my hands I give with my heart

RIP #11, Forever To Thee
Closed Thread