CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler > Carolina Eats

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
kingoftheroost
b381l
Gamecocks1137
GoldenSpur7
Cockypantherfan
Yearofthegamecock
ReadR00ster
gamecockgal
garnet_black215
Regalcock
Polls (3271)
Gameday in Columbia (2887)
Gameday Sign Ideas (2500)
Clem5on fans are bes (1562)
Dylan Thompson's pas (1447)
Why Weren't We Bette (1404)
SEC East Race as of (1145)
ST coach fired this (1026)
Let's talk about Mat (938)
Hardest Schedule (937)
D line pressure
ST coach fired this week
Why Weren't We Better Pre
RB Recruiting (2015 and 2
Gameday in Columbia
Clem5on fans are beside t
USC/Missouri 9/27/2014
Polls
iPhone 6/6plus and Apple
James Thompson - 6'9"

Old 04-21-2012, 10:00 AM   #1
Stillwearingmyjoehat
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Stillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot materialStillwearingmyjoehat is USC mascot material
Default Mio Sweet Tea

If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl. It's as good if not better than anything Snapple, Arizona or the rest put out. The best part is I first can make the tea the way I like it: STRONG, dark and just enough sweet to knock off the bitter edge.

Make your favorite tea (I drink sweet Luzianne steeped for a good long while), add Mio to taste (I have always preferred Mango tea), stir or skake well and drink.

I've never been an unsweetened tea drinker but did try making a small pitcher and sweetened each cup with Mio. Takes a much larger portion to get it the way I like it but WOW! Is it good.

Oh, forgot to add: the best part about Mio sweet tea? Mio is a liquid. It will readily mix with COLD tea. So it's an easy sweetener with nothing crunchy settling to the bottom of the cup.
Stillwearingmyjoehat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mio Sweet Tea

Mango tea?

Stuff like that is for Yankees. I don't add any fruity flavors to my tea.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
espn4lyf
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 10136
espn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot materialespn4lyf is USC mascot material

Mio has an assortment of flavors including an Energy Drink
Old 04-21-2012, 11:08 AM   #4
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

That stuff is nasty. I can't stand the artificial chemical taste. If I want mango i will eat one or order a mango lassi. I like tea, plain tea. I like high quality teas and not grocery store garbage. In fact I have had a hobby of blending my own teas for the last several decades. My main everyday blend, Yancey's 21 Gun Salute, is a mix of 21 varieties of black, green, white, oolong, and pu erh teas. Because I usually drink it iced I weight the mix with nigiri, which is a black tea that is the single best tea for iced. I use whole leaf teas that can be reused a time or two. All tea, green, black, whatever, come from the same plant, camellia sinensis and its sub genres. The differences are in where they are grown, at what maturity they are harvested, and how they are dried and processed. Some tea blends contain flavorings. Earl Grey for example is flavored with oil of bergamot. I dislike these. The one exception in 21 Gun Salute is the inclusion of the famous Pai Mu Tan which is a white tea with shavings of sunflower root. I enjoy its slight nutty undertone.

If you wish to begin exploring the world of teas I suggest starting by ordering various single estate teas and getting to know a few of each type of tea. Macha and sencha are both green teas but look and taste nothing alike. Darjeeling and Assam are blacks but are quite dissimilar. Lapsang Souchong is a black that has been smoked and pan fried. Never mix with or even store near other teas as its intense smokiness will overpower and permeate the others. In England strong black tea is usually served with milk and sugar much like coffee. However dairy reduces the antioxidant bio availability of the tea. I prefer mine plain with a bit of lemon. Delicate whites and greens should never be adulterated with flavorings as their grassy nature would be quickly overwhelmed.

I do make some flavored tea blends. I have a few that are green and white tea based with the addition of whole dried strawberries or raspberries for example. I usually make batches of that sort of thing as special orders. While they can be drank cold the full spectrum of their flavors are more easily appreciated hot.

One last thing. NEVER ADD SUGAR TO COLD DRINKS! It will just not dissolve properly. If you must sweeten tea or any other drink use simple syrup. It is easy. Bring 1 part water to a full boil and then add 2 parts sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool, stirring occasionally. Then store the syrup in the fridge to use as needed. It will last for several weeks. You now have a liquid sweetener that mixes instantly in any beverage.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 11:30 AM   #5
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 300000000
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc

mio tea is nasty. I thought that I would try it, but could not stand it. I do enjoy the mio energy though
Old 04-21-2012, 02:17 PM   #6
NinjaCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
NinjaCock has feathers coming inNinjaCock has feathers coming inNinjaCock has feathers coming in

That junk is disgusting.
NinjaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 02:56 PM   #7
ColaCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Luzianne or nothing.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2012, 08:11 AM   #8
CocksfanNC
Gamecock Mama

Female

CockyCash: 100500
CocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillwearingmyjoehat View Post
If you haven't tried it, give it a whirl. It's as good if not better than anything Snapple, Arizona or the rest put out. The best part is I first can make the tea the way I like it: STRONG, dark and just enough sweet to knock off the bitter edge.

Make your favorite tea (I drink sweet Luzianne steeped for a good long while), add Mio to taste (I have always preferred Mango tea), stir or skake well and drink.

I've never been an unsweetened tea drinker but did try making a small pitcher and sweetened each cup with Mio. Takes a much larger portion to get it the way I like it but WOW! Is it good.

Oh, forgot to add: the best part about Mio sweet tea? Mio is a liquid. It will readily mix with COLD tea. So it's an easy sweetener with nothing crunchy settling to the bottom of the cup.
I love the orange and strawberry/watermelon flavors, but UGH, I hated the sweet tea. It tasted bitter to me unless I added a ton of it, and then it tasted sickly-sweet. I couldn't drink it.

On a side note, the Wal-Mart version of Mio (the flavors I've tried, anyway) is horrible.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:15 AM   #9
CocksfanNC
Gamecock Mama

Female

CockyCash: 100500
CocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot materialCocksfanNC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
One last thing. NEVER ADD SUGAR TO COLD DRINKS! It will just not dissolve properly. If you must sweeten tea or any other drink use simple syrup. It is easy. Bring 1 part water to a full boil and then add 2 parts sugar. Stir with a wooden spoon until the sugar has completely dissolved. Remove the pot from the heat and let cool, stirring occasionally. Then store the syrup in the fridge to use as needed. It will last for several weeks. You now have a liquid sweetener that mixes instantly in any beverage.
Awesome; thanks for the tip! I wonder if it would work with splenda or stevia? I try to stay away from a lot of sugar these days.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:36 AM   #10
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Yancey View Post
That stuff is nasty. I can't stand the artificial chemical taste. If I want mango i will eat one or order a mango lassi. I like tea, plain tea. I like high quality teas and not grocery store garbage. In fact I have had a hobby of blending my own teas for the last several decades. My main everyday blend, Yancey's 21 Gun Salute, is a mix of 21 varieties of black, green, white, oolong, and pu erh teas. Because I usually drink it iced I weight the mix with nigiri, which is a black tea that is the single best tea for iced. I use whole leaf teas that can be reused a time or two. All tea, green, black, whatever, come from the same plant, camellia sinensis and its sub genres. The differences are in where they are grown, at what maturity they are harvested, and how they are dried and processed. Some tea blends contain flavorings. Earl Grey for example is flavored with oil of bergamot. I dislike these. The one exception in 21 Gun Salute is the inclusion of the famous Pai Mu Tan which is a white tea with shavings of sunflower root. I enjoy its slight nutty undertone.

If you wish to begin exploring the world of teas I suggest starting by ordering various single estate teas and getting to know a few of each type of tea. Macha and sencha are both green teas but look and taste nothing alike. Darjeeling and Assam are blacks but are quite dissimilar. Lapsang Souchong is a black that has been smoked and pan fried. Never mix with or even store near other teas as its intense smokiness will overpower and permeate the others. In England strong black tea is usually served with milk and sugar much like coffee. However dairy reduces the antioxidant bio availability of the tea. I prefer mine plain with a bit of lemon. Delicate whites and greens should never be adulterated with flavorings as their grassy nature would be quickly overwhelmed.

I do make some flavored tea blends. I have a few that are green and white tea based with the addition of whole dried strawberries or raspberries for example. I usually make batches of that sort of thing as special orders. While they can be drank cold the full spectrum of their flavors are more easily appreciated hot.

When do you sleep?
Old 04-22-2012, 08:44 AM   #11
CockRoche
ADIDAS

Male

CockyCash: 50600
CockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot materialCockRoche is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GH View Post
When do you sleep?
The things some people go through to separate themselves from the regular folk...
Old 04-23-2012, 11:57 AM   #12
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

I have yet to have a pre-made tea that is worth a damn. Snapple, Arizona, So-be they all have that artificial taste. I doubt this one is any different.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:19 PM   #13
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

I have never drank anything called Tea out of a CAN! That's not REAL tea; it's INBRED like Clemson people......
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 12:52 PM   #14
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873509
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

I enjoy the fruit flavored MIO, especially the grape. the energy drink version is I don't care for much. The Wal-Mart version in Grape and Fruit Punch is good too.

Gapo
Old 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #15
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
I have never drank anything called Tea out of a CAN! That's not REAL tea; it's INBRED like Clemson people......

I miss my mother taking regular tea bags, putting them in a boiling pot of water, steeping the tea bags, then pour the results into a huge dill pickle jar till it was full. I liked my iced tea bordering on sweet and bitter.

Gapo
Old 04-23-2012, 12:55 PM   #16
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post

If it makes you pee, it's tea....................It just isn't good homemade Southern ice tea.

Gapo
Old 04-23-2012, 12:57 PM   #17
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

Anyone drink this?

I do, and diet or regular, I love it. It is the only way I will drink "green tea." Plus I love ginger ale.

Gapo
Old 04-24-2012, 10:26 AM   #18
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapoGamecock51 View Post
Anyone drink this?

I do, and diet or regular, I love it. It is the only way I will drink "green tea." Plus I love ginger ale.

Gapo
That sounds really good...may have to try it.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:01 AM   #19
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

A MUCH better beverage can be had by making your own. It is easy. Make strong green tea. Make ginger lemonade. Combine the two. Voila! If you have to have it carbonated you can use a charger or just add club soda.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote