CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
b381l
Regalcock
U-Dub Gamecock
mpilot0705
JerseyBird
Storm Of Spurs
kingoftheroost
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
For Discussing The C (3464)
Drew Owens missing? (2483)
Question about after (2399)
Shaq Roland (1507)
Dylan Thompson surpa (1500)
clemson game time: N (992)
FishFry 47-yarder (772)
Tenn-Mizzou game (450)
Mason Rudolph starti (309)
UFC Fight Night 57: (293)
Question about after the
Na'ty Rogers
The Defense
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Senior Day RB Participant
2015 - Daniel Fennell
**USC vs. South Alabama G
Mason Rudolph starting fo
Shaq Roland
clemson game time: Noon o

Old 02-23-2012, 01:55 PM   #1
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material
Default Midweek strategy (what would you do)

The Yardcocks have a tough one this weekend against Elon...but the midweek opener against PC is right around the corner.

Let's face it, PC isn't a good baseball team...that doesn't mean they can luck up and beat our guys...if you were coach (just for fun guys) what is your strategy for the midweek game(s).

To me: I like having two guys designated for midweek starts...and you do the split game if just one midweek game.
I really like how Patrick Sullivan performed last year, and I think he and Adam Westmoreland would do well for the midweek.

Also, midweeks strike me as a good time to get younger pitchers in....enter yoour midweek pen of Vince Fiori, Joel Seddon, Evan Beal and Jordan Montgomery.

Also, I wouldn't mind us using a lot of bench players in the midweek...Erik Payne at third, and Brison Celek/Kyle Martin at first and Patrick Harrington at catcher.

To me, the midweek is more like time to get your backups in....if you have the depth, which I think this team has.

With this strategy, you rest up your big bats in Walker and Danztler, keep your catcher's legs fresh in Rosenberg and Greiner, and you hopefully save your usual pen.

Plus, the more experience your team has as a whole can only help you later in the season, in my opinion.

What about you guys?
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #2
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit
Default Re: Midweek strategy (what would you do)

Very important to win the majority of these games to maintain a top 8 seed. also since baseball is such a game of streaks it is important to keep your guys swinging. Rest for your starters is likely to occur during blowouts. Fortunately we have such good depth that the backups are nearly as good so there won't be a big drop-off. The pitching in the midweek games is where I expect to see the depth used regularly.
talon is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 02:26 PM   #3
GCocks
BOB

Male

CockyCash: 200
GCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spurs

I would rather see Beal, Seddon or Montgomery as midweek starters, i would be surprised if Sullivan was our midweek guy but guess we will find out soon enough. I could also see Belcher or Westmoreland getting some midweek starts as well. Im just ready for some more baseball and see how this freshman class performs really excited to watch them play all year. As for everyone else i say keep the regulars in unless they need the rest for injury or if someone is struggling try something different.
GCocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2012, 06:55 PM   #4
Qatarcock
Redneck Abroad

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
Qatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot materialQatarcock is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Qatarcock

Right now our infield is probably too young and inexperienced together to completely take them out and play other players. Perhaps after they have had the chance to develop some continuity then that might be an option. Also, a lot of our younger players need more at bats to feel more comfortable and get more acclimated to Division 1 College Baseball. Tanner has been known to use the midweek games to experiment with various pitchers/catchers....and shuffle the batting order on occasion to have a desired outcome.
Old 02-23-2012, 11:57 PM   #5
MOB49
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
MOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudly

Baseball, like many sports is a game of habit. Once you break these habits, bad things start to happen. i.e. Roth will always pitch on Fridays, no matter when the other team is throwing their ace. Once these habits get out of wack, people start getting into slumps (as mentioned in a post above)

Since we do have such a young team, I feel that our position players will remain the same for midweek games and weekend series. The more experience gained before SEC play starts the better. I definitely think that our catcher will rotate in the midweek games just to keep them fresh, but other then that I see our starters playing most of the midweek games.
MOB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 09:45 PM   #6
GCocks
BOB

Male

CockyCash: 200
GCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spursGCocks has earned his spurs

That's why Sullivan shouldn't be our midweek starter lol would've been nice to have that no hitter but in all seriousness he prolly is the least talented of all the pitchers.
GCocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 12:03 AM   #7
Gamecockfanatic4
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 4567500
Gamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot materialGamecockfanatic4 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Gamecockfanatic4

Sullivan, Westmoreland, Seddon or Beal seem like the 4 obvious choices

Gamecockfanatic4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 01:56 AM   #8
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GCocks View Post
That's why Sullivan shouldn't be our midweek starter lol would've been nice to have that no hitter but in all seriousness he prolly is the least talented of all the pitchers.
Definitely disagree there. All pitchers give up a homer now and then, that hitter was very powerful. Sullivan did very well in his couple of midweek starts last year.
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:10 AM   #9
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

What about Belcher? Little Unit looked sharp. Could use him in either bullpen/long relief or mid week.

Sullivan is a good arm. I like Beal as well. I think he's going to be right up there for a weekend spot next year.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 10:33 AM   #10
USCAlum2010
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
USCAlum2010 has hatched from the shell

We have some solid arms in the bullpen. I like Ethan Carter as the Mid-Week starter.
USCAlum2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:21 PM   #11
GamecockDiehard
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
GamecockDiehard has earned his spursGamecockDiehard has earned his spursGamecockDiehard has earned his spursGamecockDiehard has earned his spursGamecockDiehard has earned his spursGamecockDiehard has earned his spurs

Gotta say whatever we've done the last two years seems to be the way to go. I understand the concept but when I played baseball (catcher), I wanted to play every pitch. Sitting out never makes anyone better, except maybe pitchers.
GamecockDiehard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 09:31 PM   #12
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1503877758
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

Was it Sully that did so good during Midweeks last year?

Like to see Westmoreland get a shot, see what progress he has made! He had a tremendous amount of potential before his injury!
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #13
ucan'tlickourcocks
The "other" M. Lattimore

Male

CockyCash: 1503877758
ucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot materialucan'tlickourcocks is USC mascot material

nm
Old 02-26-2012, 01:30 AM   #14
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ucan'tlickourcocks View Post
Was it Sully that did so good during Midweeks last year?

Like to see Westmoreland get a shot, see what progress he has made! He had a tremendous amount of potential before his injury!
I would too.
You think with his size he would be more of a power pitcher, but I would like to see if he has developed a more cerebral, control game.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 02:32 AM   #15
2010Redbirds
You best believe

Male

CockyCash: 9976675
2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs2010Redbirds has earned his spurs

i say we mix it up. bunt every pitch.