CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
Aggie96
Gamecocks1137
jebodiah
b381l
Acockolypse Now
Gamecock in TX
cockycrazy2001
jellafever
Cockypantherfan
Vote for Browns star (3046)
texags (2553)
Shaw Lighting Up Bro (2219)
2016 Commitment - Ja (1807)
Preparing for the sm (1436)
Connor Shaw intervie (876)
Gameday Garnet Polo (717)
Aggie Statistics (688)
Clowney (688)
They are coming to y (488)
Preparing for the smash r
What would be your defini
Aggie Statistics
They are coming to your c
texags
Vote for Browns starting
QB Kenny Hill named start
Gameday Garnet Polo
Clowney
Connor Shaw interviewed a

Old 04-08-2012, 05:54 PM   #1
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material
Default Extreme Camping and Hunting

Ok fellas I need some help... Im looking to go on a camping trip. Im not interested in taking anything outside of what will fit in my pack: Jerky, Trailmix, first-aid, sleeping bag, single tent, change of clothes, socks, toothbrush and paste, soap, matches/flint/, fishing line and hook, flashlight, compass, water(or water purification, i havent decided if its worth risking for the experience) my bow or .22 pistol, knife, and machete. Now heres my issue... I live in South Carolina and have yet to find an area where I can hunt for small prey AND camp at the same time. Ive been an avid hunter since I was 7 years old (now 22) and this is the first time i will be on an extended huting/camping trip, preferably five days AT LEAST. I want the full experience. Normally I hunt in the Chester and Wampee areas of SC. For obvious reasons it would benefit me to be near running water and wildlife (for food purposes). Now heres my question... does anyone know of anywhere in the south east that allows this type of camping? Camping with a pistol/bow? Im having a hard time to find an isolated destination where it is permitted in the Southeast. If anyone has any resources, knowledge, or even any land that they would be interested please let me know. Im sure we could work out some sort of deal for me to live out this man fantasy of mine.
imabeastonu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 07:04 PM   #2
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

imabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot materialimabeastonu is USC mascot material
Default Re: Extreme Camping and Hunting

it appears i have thrown a curveball to the cockytalk community... well... we have any big hunters on this board? and campers?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #3
gamecockfinatic2007
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 125200
gamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot materialgamecockfinatic2007 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to gamecockfinatic2007

all national and state parks are out of the question. will need to look for privately owned land...
gamecockfinatic2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #4
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

if it were me and i owned land, or knew someone that owned a lot of land i would go their. Then it would be allowed as for areas, i don't know any in the Southeast just because i don't think the market for that is big and alot of the Southeast is either owned privately or publicly.

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:31 PM   #5
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

yeah.. you'd need to find someone with a bunch of private land that would allow you to do it I think....

I can't say I've heard of anything like you're talking about in SC before. And if there is anything like that, I imagine it would be in the upstate towards the border maybe.

Metalrush24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 08:55 PM   #6
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

yea... that seemed to be the issue i was running into. Ive got a place on a 500 acre preserve outside of north myrtle beach where the waccamaw river runs right thru the center... thats where i hunt. i was wanting to go somewhere different like tennessee. It would be cool if someone offered a service like that. Hey, it might be useful after our economy collapses. A little self sufficiency never hurt anyone! Anyone else have a man urge to "rough" it and see how it goes?
Old 04-08-2012, 08:58 PM   #7
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

ah....

I'm sure stuff like that is offered, it's just expensive most likely.

Old 04-08-2012, 09:03 PM   #8
DJCatfish
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 4400
DJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his combDJCatfish is developing his comb

Any particular reason the state forests are out of the question? Manchester State Forest is a WMA, so as long as you stayed within the proper regs I would think it would be fine there? Although there are trails and stuff so it might not be rugged enough for what OP is looking for.
DJCatfish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:04 PM   #9
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
ah....

I'm sure stuff like that is offered, it's just expensive most likely.
Well... ill do my own thing in the good ole wetlands of SC. Should be interesting.
Old 04-08-2012, 09:08 PM   #10
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJCatfish View Post
Any particular reason the state forests are out of the question? Manchester State Forest is a WMA, so as long as you stayed within the proper regs I would think it would be fine there? Although there are trails and stuff so it might not be rugged enough for what OP is looking for.
From what I understand... in SC its either one or the other. If you hunt, you cant camp. If you camp, you cant hunt. Its BS and completely defeats the purpose of "camping" I love to fish but id love some meat if im dependent on my own merrit. Its much easier to shoot a squirrel or rabbit than it is to fish also. Maybe ill get lucky and trap a hog. THAT would be great
Old 04-08-2012, 09:10 PM   #11
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by imabeastonu View Post
Well... ill do my own thing in the good ole wetlands of SC. Should be interesting.
Yeah, if anything it would be a good practice run I guess

Old 04-08-2012, 09:13 PM   #12
thebatman
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
thebatman has earned his spursthebatman has earned his spursthebatman has earned his spursthebatman has earned his spursthebatman has earned his spursthebatman has earned his spurs

There are lots of places in the mountains where you could primative camp. The problem is you can not hunt any game unless the season is open on private or public land. Check the SCDNR website for seasons. Try Burrell's Ford camping. Lots of trout in the Chattoga River.
thebatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #13
kick_ball
high midi-chlorian count

Male

CockyCash: 521
kick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot materialkick_ball is USC mascot material

Quote:
From what I understand... in SC its either one or the other. If you hunt, you cant camp. If you camp, you cant hunt. Its BS and completely defeats the purpose of "camping" I love to fish but id love some meat if im dependent on my own merrit. Its much easier to shoot a squirrel or rabbit than it is to fish also. Maybe ill get lucky and trap a hog. THAT would be great
its for the protection of each the campers and vice versa as well as the wildlife in those areas..its also really hard to regulate both hunting areas and camping areas... but im a pretty avid camper and hunter but as previously stated in this part of the country you may have to look for private land... there may be some out west if youre looking to really take a trip... i personally backpacked out in big bend national park in tx and if was amazing (no hunting) but still a test since its high mountains and desert mixed
Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

ah yeah.... I didn't even think about seasons

at this point you'd have to wait til deer season probably

Old 04-08-2012, 09:16 PM   #15
GamecockUltimate
BIGGER. STRONGER.LONGER

Male

CockyCash: 219000
GamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot materialGamecockUltimate is USC mascot material

btw yes i have wanted to do it, but i always planned on doing it on my land

for willy
GamecockUltimate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 09:19 PM   #16
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockUltimate View Post
btw yes i have wanted to do it, but i always planned on doing it on my land
I think everyman has thought to themselves, "It be badass to Bear Grylls for a week"
Old 04-08-2012, 09:51 PM   #17
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

Yeah, Bear Grylls or Les Stroud

hardcore..

however, without proper training and knowledge you can end up in a tough situation really quickly and without any TV cameras to look cool while doing it

Old 04-08-2012, 10:00 PM   #18
imabeastonu
Bowl MVP

Male

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9VefG-FuMYA idk how to post youtube videaos but this is badass. someone please do teh honors.
Old 04-08-2012, 10:09 PM   #19
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
I think everyman has thought to themselves, "It be badass to Bear Grylls for a week"
Guess you don't need the extra water.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2012, 10:22 PM   #20
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

moved this to the wc, prob get more responses here

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote