CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
IBleedGarnetandBlack
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Carolina4Life
GabbieM
Spurticus
Gyle41386
Acockolypse Now
GH
So, Dylan Thompson? (5586)
Confused fan here. (3960)
Is anybody still opt (3789)
Predict the Season ( (2539)
Acock's Wrap Up: TAM (2023)
How were the Aggie f (1281)
Will Gameday still c (961)
Heck of an atmospher (813)
I hate a thief (810)
Play for next year (800)
SOS is pissed
A fans guide. 5 steps to
Is anybody still optimist
Will Gameday still come?
Kevin Sumlin Thoughts.
Step back from the ledge
Confused fan here. Why i
Predict the Season (After
Good crowd for volleyball
So, Dylan Thompson?

Old 09-16-2012, 10:15 PM   #1
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

CockyCash: 200
Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material
Default Careful, don't drop ball before crossing the goal line

I'm not nit picking, just pointing something out. Watching the replay of the UAB game and noticed this last night. DJ and Byrd almost let go of the ball before they crossed the goal line. I think they held on to it long enough but if you watch the replay, notice how they almost dropped the ball before they crossed the goal line. I slowed it down frame by frame and it is very close. I would just feel more comfortable if they held on to the ball until they got all the way into the end zone or hand it to the refs. If any opposing coaches notice it on film then they might look for it during the game and have it reviewed. I know it sounds trivial but it has happened to teams before, letting go of the ball before crossing the goal line.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:19 PM   #2
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material
Default Re: Careful, don't drop ball before crossing the goal line

I agree and I noticed this last night too. It's apparently not something that is coached. Last year Shaw actually dropped the ball about half a foot from the goal line on one of his rushing TDs, but it was called a TD anyhow. It was clearly visible on the replay.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #3
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

shoulda known better, especially the 2nd guy after someone had done it already.

http://www.cockytalk.com/showthread.php?t=177861
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:21 PM   #4
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

It's deja-vu all over again

Quote:
Originally Posted by gameCOCKadoodle View Post
I just saw twice tonight that players want to let go of the ball right as they cross the goal. DJ and Byrd did it. Ive seen too many times that called a fumble and the TD is a no-go.

but yeah, I looked for it when watching the replay and Byrd had his TD with no problem and I think Swearinger was fine too..

I don't know WHY they do it, but oh well.. as long as they don't mess up
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #5
talon90
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
talon90 has feathers coming intalon90 has feathers coming in

It is nitpicking, until it actually happens and it's a lost touchdown. Then it is piling on a poor young man who already feels awful about his mistake. ha ha

That said, I noticed it also (with Byrd) and remarked on it right away to the person next to me in the stands and said whew! Don't understand why it's cooler to do it that way?
talon90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:24 PM   #6
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TStone View Post
I agree and I noticed this last night too. It's apparently not something that is coached. Last year Shaw actually dropped the ball about half a foot from the goal line on one of his rushing TDs, but it was called a TD anyhow. It was clearly visible on the replay.
I forgot about Shaw's TD. I hope the coaches see this and point it out. It's nothing that needs that much attention but the coaches should tell players even if they can crawl into the end zone, wait to celebrate until they are all the way in at least a few feet.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:30 PM   #7
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
It's deja-vu all over again

but yeah, I looked for it when watching the replay and Byrd had his TD with no problem and I think Swearinger was fine too..

I don't know WHY they do it, but oh well.. as long as they don't mess up
I posted on this during the game right after Byrd's TD but no one responded. Didn't realize someone else posted on it too. Anyway, be careful Gamecocks. Don't want something like this to cost us down the line.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #8
TStone
Grammar Nazi

Male

Pumpkin Contest: Winner of the Pumpkin Carving Contest - Given for: Pumpkin Contest 
CockyCash: 4535
TStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot materialTStone is USC mascot material

Somebody should mention this in the call in show.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:32 PM   #9
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
I posted on this during the game right after Byrd's TD but no one responded. Didn't realize someone else posted on it too. Anyway, be careful Gamecocks. Don't want something like this to cost us down the line.
Yeah, I just thought it was interesting two people brought it up

I didn't realize it at the time
Old 09-16-2012, 10:36 PM   #10
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Yeah, I just thought it was interesting two people brought it up

I didn't realize it at the time
Watching the replay, I noticed DJ's but last night I just noticed Byrd's. I think DJ did drop the ball before. Slowing it down frame by frame, DJ is letting go beforew he crosses. Someone should call in Thursday like TStone said. Think I will.
Old 09-16-2012, 10:49 PM   #11
GamecockMastermind
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 270
GamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot materialGamecockMastermind is USC mascot material

Quote:
Somebody should mention this in the call in show.
GamecockMastermind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 10:58 PM   #12
garnet_black215
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1350
garnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot materialgarnet_black215 is USC mascot material

Actually, this was the first thing I thought when Byrd crossed the goal line. It looked really close from 309.
garnet_black215 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 11:08 PM   #13
Spurz
Class of 2009

Male

Spurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudlySpurz is crowing loudly

Tyrann Mathieu did this last year in the SEC Championship game. I think he was running back a punt, and he flipped the ball to the official a half-yard or so before crossing the goal line. The announcers even noticed it and ran the replay back a few times, but nothing was said on the field. I guess it's a new trend for the players or something, I dunno. Been noticing it a lot lately with other teams.
Old 09-17-2012, 12:05 AM   #14
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

A lot of players do this. I agree, it needs to be discussed during practice.
Old 09-17-2012, 02:25 AM   #15
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

Quote:
now youre gonna make me go back and watch all his td runs
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 02:49 AM   #16
ReCOCKulous
Master Debater

Male

ReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot materialReCOCKulous is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurz View Post
Tyrann Mathieu did this last year in the SEC Championship game. I think he was running back a punt, and he flipped the ball to the official a half-yard or so before crossing the goal line. The announcers even noticed it and ran the replay back a few times, but nothing was said on the field. I guess it's a new trend for the players or something, I dunno. Been noticing it a lot lately with other teams.
I remember that. Question though. If it wasn't a touchdown and he flipped the ball to a ref, the ref is "part of the field" so technically the players could pile on the ref and try to get the ball, right? Lol. Night shift in a hospital gives you time to ponder these things. Hahahaha.
ReCOCKulous is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:15 AM   #17
superstar90
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 5000
superstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his combsuperstar90 is developing his comb

I don't like this but I'm thinking the refs just basically give it to the guy as long as it was just him running into the endzone. Basically when no one was tackling the guy or had a chance of stopping the TD. I would prefer our guys to hold onto the ball.
superstar90 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 08:17 AM   #18
garnetmike
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1001250
garnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot materialgarnetmike is USC mascot material

This happens far more times than it should every weekend. I'm with you guys. Keep the ball in your hands; score; and then hand it to the refs.
garnetmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 11:17 AM   #19
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

100% correct. It needs to be addressed.

When I coached football, we did a drill where we would give the kid a ball and he would run into the endzone and one of the coaches acted like a referee. The kid would then hand the ball to the coach after he scored.

Sounds silly, but it was a fun drill with all of the o-linmen etc getting to "score".

Handing the ball to the official after a TD is the easiest way to avoid a very costly and embarrasing mistake.
Old 09-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #20
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by garnetmike View Post
This happens far more times than it should every weekend. I'm with you guys. Keep the ball in your hands; score; and then hand it to the refs.
Unless they were going to run back to the 30 to hand it to them ... there's not a ref in the nation that could have been there with Byrd

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote