CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
GregoryHouse
zcoop
Jdallen20
Yearofthegamecock
Badazcock
roosterdude21
Blackland
Team Garcia
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (23719)
ESPN Game Day Commen (1905)
Simple "yes&quo (1404)
Phil Steele just pre (1105)
Garcia: Change the R (669)
TeMarcus Blanton (658)
Bashing Players, coa (465)
Anybody just have th (371)
Miss St vs. Kentucky (315)
Where in Seattle (225)
Eat Crow
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
Name a Gamecock
Anybody just have that &q
Hire Muschamp as DC!
2016 - Avery McCall
UFC 179: Jose Aldo vs Cha
WET PAPER SACK DEFENSE
ESPN Game Day Comments Re
Bama @ Tennessee

Old 01-04-2013, 12:15 PM   #41
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 16972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Move Shaw to WR for senior season

Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:19 PM   #42
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Only opened this thread up to see this after reading the title to totally agree.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:20 PM   #43
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
This is another example of some people just never wanting to be wrong.

Said-person will then use examples from other teams, while failing to recognize you cannot compare apples and oranges, meaning you cannot compare the Michigan offense and SC offense. Just because a QB can be moved to other positions in their offense doesn't mean its that simple in ours.
Shaw is a WR/ATH playing QB. We love him for how athletic he is, not because he can stand in the pocket and zing the ball around like Tom Brady.

You guys are fooling yourselves if you think he is an NFL QB prospect. Shaw is a winner and an incredible athlete but he is not a top notch QB. We are winning because he has heart, desire, toughness, and a ton of athletic ability. NOT because he is a great QB. That is not disrespect to Shaw, he is awesome and a big reason for our success but don't kid yourself and think it's because he is sitting back there picking apart defenses.
Gamecock History is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #44
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

OK...Stepping back a momement here.

I know you meant this as a "What If" question for message board
discussion. It generates opinions and it gives us something to do in the
long off season. That is exactly what it is, because Steve Spurrier would
never entertain the thought of doing this at all. Nor should he.

Shaw will still be a QB when he returns to the team after his surgery. He
will not in any way shape or form even be considered for a move to WR,
RB, DB etc... There would be reason to think Spurrier MIGHT entertain
that thought had Dylan been here before Shaw, and Shaw only being
a Freshman this past season. ..... But Mangus and Spurrier will not even
consider moving Shaw to another Position with him being a third year
starter at QB and going into his senior year.

You guys can discuss it, kick it around and argue about it if you'd like
but THANK GOD, it's only a thread suggestion on a message board. It
will not be put on the the coaching table for discussing during the winter
I can guarantee you that.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #45
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Gamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudlyGamecock History is crowing loudly

I have barely posted on here in years and it saddens me every time when I do to see how people can't think outside of the box or see anything except what they are accustom to.

Next year if Shaw ends up playing WR and signing a deal with an NFL team everyone will be on here talking about how smart of a move that was by Spurrier and how unselfish Shaw was for changing positions for his team.

#frustrating
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #46
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

did you not watch the bowl game? jones had a 70 yard reception and byrd had a 56 yard td reception.

i dont disagree with the concept that he would still know the offense and be able to be in the right position, but its a huge stretch to compare him to kenny mckinley. or that he would get open vs man coverage nearly as good as our 4 short wr's.

shoot if he can be that good of a wr, why not suggest redshirting him.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:24 PM   #47
MBGCock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1110145
MBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot materialMBGCock is USC mascot material

Move Clowney to fullback.
MBGCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:25 PM   #48
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I vote for Garnet helmets next year.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #49
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Can't wait to see Shaq, Kwinton, and Jody this Spring.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:26 PM   #50
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
OK...Stepping back a momement here.

I know you meant this as a "What If" question for message board
discussion. It generates opinions and it gives us something to do in the
long off season. That is exactly what it is, because Steve Spurrier would
never entertain the thought of doing this at all. Nor should he.

Shaw will still be a QB when he returns to the team after his surgery. He
will not in any way shape or form even be considered for a move to WR,
RB, DB etc... There would be reason to think Spurrier MIGHT entertain
that thought had Dylan been here before Shaw, and Shaw only being
a Freshman this past season. ..... But Mangus and Spurrier will not even
consider moving Shaw to another Position with him being a third year
starter at QB and going into his senior year.

You guys can discuss it, kick it around and argue about it if you'd like
but THANK GOD, it's only a thread suggestion on a message board. It
will not be put on the the coaching table for discussing during the winter
I can guarantee you that.
So if Thompson wins the QB job this fall for whatever CRAZY reason....would you want Shaw sitting the bench or on the field somewhere helping the team?
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #51
wholelottacock
Banned

Male

wholelottacock is sharpening his clawswholelottacock is sharpening his clawswholelottacock is sharpening his clawswholelottacock is sharpening his claws

I'm with the O. P. clearly he's thought this through and it all makes perfect sense.

Here are the reasons why:

1. Improve his NFL draft potential. He does not have the size or arm strength (velocity, not distance) to be an NFL QB.

What NFL draft status do you speak of? I like Shaw but he aint NFL at Qb, Kick Returner, field goal holder or receiver.

2. He played WR his entire life up until his JR? year of high school.
His entire life? Where do you get this information or were you just being dramatic? I played combo guard most of my pre college b ball days. YOu think theres any room for me at small forward for Frank Martin?

3. We have a lack of WR production outside of Ace and Bruce.
No we don't we have an offensive line that can hold up under pressure less than my 93 year old grandma's bladder. And a 1 maybe 2 receiver check down qb so the the other 2/3 guys running downfield are just running wasted routes.

4. Very similar to McKinnley: former high school QB, tough as nails, high football IQ, shifty, quick but not a burner.
This ones my favorite. Thats all great, know what he doesn't have that McKinnley does? Hands to catch a ball, hips, route running, fighting off db's, balance and agility to catch and stay in bounds. You really think thats all it takes to be a receiver? I'll bet you 1k that if you run the same post route un guarded 10 times in a row you maybe catch 2 balls thrown by Dylan Thompson. A college qb does not throw like your Dad does in the backyard.

5. He will probably miss spring practice.
Great so lets throw him in at a new position for his senior year and make sure its one he has not a single intangible for besides being quick.

6. It would put more play makers on the field at one time: Thompson, Shaw, Sanders, and Ellington.
[B]Way to insult all of our receivers and tight ends in one fail swoop. If any one of our receiving corps is reading this please don't take this post as the sentiment of the fan base. People that know anything about football know exactly why your not producing and it starts with the O line.[/b]

7. He would still be available to slide over to QB and run the zone read play 4 or 5 times a game like he has been doing.
Hopefully my man we'll be abandoning that real soon. And hey that would obviously work with Thompson rolling out to wide receiver. I mean it would keep everyone guessing because clearly Thompson is threat to catch the ball. Oh I know we could have Thompson be a blocker because we wouldn't want Byrd (63 yards on Michigan), Jones (78 yards on Michigan, Cunningham (37 yards) getting a chance at catching the ball when you've got a Ocho Sincho esque caliber threat like old Dylan Thompson available.

If Shaw signs an NFL Contract for any position I will personally drive over to your house in a hot dog costume and kiss your bare ass. YOu can record it and we'll YOutube it.
wholelottacock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #52
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Shaw has zero chance of going to the NFL as a QB. If the NFL wants to see him at another position, why not wait until the senior bowls etc to give him a workout. I won't pile on the OP, but there is a time and place to experiment with other positions for a player, but generally it is not in limited fall practice, especially to a position that is as difficult to master as the WR in the spurrier offense. No one is arguing that Shaw is not a hell of an athlete...but changing his position is a disservice to USC and to the WR's that have been developing. If he wants to try to make the NFL, he will be able to workout at other positinos in Senior bowl, etc type games. If he is good enough, the NFL will give him a chance.
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #53
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Move a 17-3 QB to receiver? Alright then
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:29 PM   #54
Don Giovanni
The original DG

Male

Don Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot materialDon Giovanni is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock History View Post
So if Thompson wins the QB job this fall for whatever CRAZY reason....would you want Shaw sitting the bench or on the field somewhere helping the team?
You didn't ask me, but I'll respond anyway. If Thompson were to earn the starting job, then I definitely would want Shaw waiting in the wings in the event of an inury instead of someone who hasn't seen the field at the position. And if he were to devote the offseason to developing skills at the WR position, there's little doubt he would be unable to retain all the knowledge necessary to play QB.

Eat! Pugnant! Vincere! Removere asinum!
Don Giovanni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:30 PM   #55
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Let's let him kick field goals too. And maybe make him left tackle.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #56
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
I have barely posted on here in years and it saddens me every time when I do to see how people can't think outside of the box or see anything except what they are accustom to.

Next year if Shaw ends up playing WR and signing a deal with an NFL team everyone will be on here talking about how smart of a move that was by Spurrier and how unselfish Shaw was for changing positions for his team.

#frustrating
I thought outside the box for a moment, and realized that what was inside
the box made much more sense. There are times in one's life when Old
addages trump Buzz Phrases. In This case, "Don't Overthink It" > "Think
Outside The Box"
Old 01-04-2013, 12:31 PM   #57
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBGCock View Post
Move Clowney to fullback.
See, you say this mockingly, but it's just the kind of thing Nick Saban does in special packages all the time.
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #58
Gamecock History
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
Move a 17-3 QB to receiver? Alright then
Yet you have a pic of our "back up QB" in your signature
Old 01-04-2013, 12:32 PM   #59
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would want shaw competing, practicing, watching film, and backing up Thompson as a QB. Shaw would never see the field as a WR in CFB. And no one is saying Shaw will be an NFL QB, because he wont. Shaw will never be a WR in the NFL either. Its the same as Tim Tebow, everyone says Tebow is not an NFL QB and he needs to change positions, but everyone knows there is no way for Tebow to learn a position he has never played/hasn't played for while and compete on the NFL level.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 12:34 PM   #60
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 16972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

The NFL is not stupid. See Brad Smith and Josh Cribbs...they will move a QB if they think he cannot play QB but brings merit otherwise.

We don't need to be an NFL farm team. We need to win ballgames and the chips will fall, believe me.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote