CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Sarge

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
thumpin big
SMOTFS86
Cockypantherfan
Lonnie
taylorssc
gamecockphan
robgusc76
U-Dub Gamecock
CoverTwo
Spurrier on Pharoah: (4345)
USC/clemson spread (2100)
Bowl projections (1626)
In case no one saw.. (1532)
Why has there been 4 (858)
Odell Becham Catch (853)
A little late to the (735)
No excuse for the D (686)
Tiger Burn (569)
Good Omen for Saturd (456)
College Football PSA (urg
Shaq Roland
The Defense
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo
eric berry may have lymph
No excuse for the D this
Odell Becham Catch
Good Omen for Saturday?
Dylan Thompson surpasses
2015 Commitment - Christi

Old 03-02-2013, 09:58 AM   #1
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1039000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material
Default Thoughts on baseball

I'm not real sure how we stack up with the rest of the conference, or for that matter, the rest of the nation, but it seems to me that we have every chance to become as good as the standard that has been set.

Again, I could be wrong, but our lineup (at the plate), could potentially do some real damage as we grow into ourselves.
Jordan Montgomery looks as if he could turn into a Juggernaut unto himself, along with Holmes and Webb, we only need just a few other pitchers to click.

I know this speculation, and in baseball, good fortune is a key ingredient, but I feel like this season will be as exciting as we all hope it will be. You could see it last night, Holbrook standing cool and collected, while the Tigers almost dogpile before this first pitch.

Time to go snap a spine one more time.........Go Cocks !
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:31 AM   #2
DELTOR
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 400
DELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talonsDELTOR has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via AIM to DELTOR
Default Re: Thoughts on baseball

Our offensive lineup looks as good as I can remember. Really no true weak link in there, like in years past. The scary thing is, some of the guys that we know have the capability haven't even started catching on yet (Schrock and Pankake). If we can get the vast majority firing on all cylinders, preferably during tournament time, I like our odds.

Pitching has been most excellent like it has the past few years. No concerns there, at the moment. Monty is a true ACE, and the coaches have put together probably the deepest and most solid pitching staff in memory. We're not riddled with GREAT pitchers, but we are permeated with some VERY GOOD pitchers. I feel like just about any of them can go out on a given day and get the job done.
DELTOR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 10:44 AM   #3
U-Dub Gamecock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Too early to tell.... But off to a good start... FYI: Liberty has not lost since our series with them....
Old 03-02-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

We have Monty on Friday nights. That's going to start off a lot of series very nice. We are relying on 2 freshman who are just starting to come around. Greiner will hit at some point. We're going to be fine just like we always are. Someone will step up.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:19 AM   #5
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

CockyCash: 200
uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

I really hope coach Holbrook is in their heads about getting on top off the ball. 99.9% those weak fly balls that we hit all night yesterday will be caught. It's as good as a strikeout. If its not a hit then at least force them to make a play. Last night was pretty bad. Luckily Clemson did the same thing.
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:22 AM   #6
uscfan1
Storyteller

Male

uscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot materialuscfan1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
We have Monty on Friday nights. That's going to start off a lot of series very nice. We are relying on 2 freshman who are just starting to come around. Greiner will hit at some point. We're going to be fine just like we always are. Someone will step up.
Greiner is still pulling his left leg into left field on his stride. Makes it difficult to drive anything middle out on the plate. Was hoping they would get this fixed. Every team is going to start pitching LB away and up. He can't do anything with those. Middle in on the plate he's a beast unless its an off speed pitch.
uscfan1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:24 AM   #7
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

this is a young team and hopefully they will mature quickly as the season progresses esp on the O. I worry about our sunday starter and middle relief getting to Tyler will be key.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:27 AM   #8
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

They do need to get Greiner to drive the ball into the right center gap so that he drives those balls on the outer third. He has such quick hands that he would still be able to pull the inside stuff.
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 11:31 AM   #9
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscfan1 View Post
Greiner is still pulling his left leg into left field on his stride. Makes it difficult to drive anything middle out on the plate. Was hoping they would get this fixed. Every team is going to start pitching LB away and up. He can't do anything with those. Middle in on the plate he's a beast unless its an off speed pitch.
I do think this is true. Hit the ball where it's pitched ! Maybe my memory can be refreshed, but I don't recall LB hitting the ball into left too many times.
Old 03-02-2013, 01:15 PM   #10
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 2462144
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

I was sort of sceptical about this year's team with all the high calibur players lost and Coach Hollbrook being in his first year, but when I found out that Ryan Rypkien (sp?) was red shirting, I thought there was going to be one heck of a team taking the field. Well so far I have been impressed. Very Impressed. These players are GOOD.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:01 PM   #11
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

CockyCash: 500
Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

We just need that on the field meanness factor. Don't see it yet. Roth, Price, Walker, Wingo, Marzilli, Mathews, et all had that on the field meanness. They wanted not just to win, but to maim and destroy. Battle, beat you on every pitch.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 02:13 PM   #12
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

Quote:
G2 did that last year. He's done it since he played at Blythewood. Until he makes an adjustment, he will be a .230 hitter. I think Chad will get him straightened out soon
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #13
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 1185
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jwilson View Post
We just need that on the field meanness factor. Don't see it yet. Roth, Price, Walker, Wingo, Marzilli, Mathews, et all had that on the field meanness. They wanted not just to win, but to maim and destroy. Battle, beat you on every pitch.

That's a very special group of players you're talking about. Once in a generation. I think there are guys on the team who can display that kind of meanness/swag(ger)... I see Pankake, Saiko, English, Dantzler, Holmes, and Payne cut from the same cloth. Others like Montgomery and Webb go about and do their business in a quieter way.

I feel like this lineup, unlike some recent lineups we've had, can produce at any spot on any given day. One of our most inconsistent hitters last year, Vergason, has been one of our most consistent this year. Costen and Greiner are both very talented hitters and despite their average they can do damage at any point. I feel much better with those guys at the plate whereas in the past guys like Matthews and Morales would go through some pretty bad slumps from time to time and not be able to hit anything.
Old 03-02-2013, 02:20 PM   #14
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
G2 did that last year. He's done it since he played at Blythewood. Until he makes an adjustment, he will be a .230 hitter. I think Chad will get him straightened out soon
When I was in little league, the coach would place a bat behind our leading leg, parallel to the mound. If our left foot moved toward left, well, everybody would know, and I'd be running the field carrying the bat bag. Been there........
Old 03-02-2013, 03:36 PM   #15
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
That's a very special group of players you're talking about. Once in a generation. I think there are guys on the team who can display that kind of meanness/swag(ger)... I see Pankake, Saiko, English, Dantzler, Holmes, and Payne cut from the same cloth. Others like Montgomery and Webb go about and do their business in a quieter way.

I feel like this lineup, unlike some recent lineups we've had, can produce at any spot on any given day. One of our most inconsistent hitters last year, Vergason, has been one of our most consistent this year. Costen and Greiner are both very talented hitters and despite their average they can do damage at any point. I feel much better with those guys at the plate whereas in the past guys like Matthews and Morales would go through some pretty bad slumps from time to time and not be able to hit anything.
It was a special group and your talent observations are spot on. However, in Omaha, everybody's got the talent. In fact many teams we beat in the CWS, Florida for example, were more talented. We won 2 titles because we had the "It", "Swag", "Battle" or whatever name you want to call it factor. Win anyway.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2013, 05:23 PM   #16
usc51
Household Name

Male

usc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPitusc51 rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by DELTOR View Post
Our offensive lineup looks as good as I can remember. Really no true weak link in there, like in years past.
Until Costen proves himself I would consider him a weak link. Talent is one thing but right now the guy is 3 for 22. He needs to get going.
Old 03-03-2013, 12:15 AM   #17
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

I think when Holbrook finds his groove, it'll be lights out.............
Old 03-03-2013, 01:16 AM   #18
Gamecock303
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 95200
Gamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot materialGamecock303 is USC mascot material

Quote:

I pretty much scream at the TV every time I see Greiner take a swing...it really drives me crazy. It really hurts him on inside pitches too, makes it a lot more difficult to get some pitches fair. I really thought our coaching staff would have fixed that this off season, because it really is a big hole in his swing.
Gamecock303 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 01:19 AM   #19
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

Well our offense is very scary. But the approach has been bad. Today was so frustrating. First pitch popups. Been like that since we play Arizona. That's got to improve. And the things that have to happen for us to win tomorrow haven't changed. Do what we did to Gossett. Run the pitch count up. Greiner, Pankake, and Costen have to start producing. Greiner had a good AB in the 8th but he looked lost all day. That's got to change if we are going to do anything this year. He's too good. And the LOBs have to improve.

And they will. Just hope it's tomorrow. Too much talent on this team.
Old 03-03-2013, 01:47 PM   #20
Cocktober Surprise
Soup Spoon

Male

Cocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudlyCocktober Surprise is crowing loudly

Just to echo the precious posters, the pitching is probably deeper as it have been during the last four years. Monty has "the look" to be an absolute ace. The bullpen is just nasty and it doesn't appear to be a two-man show, much as it has been in recent memory...not that it wasn't effective...lol.

Offensively, this team will put up a LOT of runs this year and we will probably far outstrip the scoring of earlier "dead bat" years. I truly believe LB will lead both the SEC, likely the nation, in dingers and once he's being walked every other at bat, the guys behind him will get tons of opportunities to knock runs in.

This is going to be exciting season, it already is, and it's exciting to wait for the next Roth, Price, JBJ, Marzelli or Walker make a name for himself.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android