CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ucan'tlickourcocks
NAGamecockFan
kingofnerf
BigRedCock
robgusc76
NinjaSven
Gamecockswag
TAFC 5 1981
cockybreeyan
Gaichon
Freshman ND WR " (663)
Call of Duty: Advanc (490)
Good Riddance to bad (385)
Keeping tailgate foo (282)
NCAAF: SOUTH CAROLIN (242)
An A to Z of Noah We (166)
The Comeback & T (83)
NCAAF: MICHIGAN @ MI (66)
NCAAF: MISSISSIPPI S (66)
NCAAF: SOUTHERN CAL (65)
Why I think we beat Aubur
Ranking Top HC jobs in SE
Bashing Players, coaches,
SEC Debate: Best candidat
2015 Commitment - Sherrod
Wallpaper & Backgroun
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Texas athletic director:
Rest of the season predic
So Disappointed With The

Old 03-03-2013, 01:43 AM   #1
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material
Default Imo, Frank wants his system to be run or

else. He does not care one bit at this point in time if he loses on the scoreboard. The goal for him is to get guys that will do the things he says.

I personally loved that he played walk ons and i did notice that he was coaching those guys as hard as he would have a talented k state team. I think it is great and i now believe that we will not see certain players next yr.

I applaud the guy and look forward to see a very solid team on the floor as soon as next year. When i say solid, i mean a team that will do what is asked of them, regardless of score.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:31 AM   #2
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: Imo, Frank wants his system to be run or

Why wouldn't he? He is getting paid a ton of money to build a successful program, and I imagine the best way he knows how to do that is Plan A, not B, C, or whatever. Might as well get started as soon as possible. Martin has won nothing but 20-game seasons every where he's coached, and I imagine he's done it running his system, so those are the cards he laid on the table when he interviewed for this job....might as well play them...
ConwayGamecock is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 03:58 AM   #3
SECgamecock453
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 15800
SECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPitSECgamecock453 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to SECgamecock453

Sure he knew taking the South Carolina job would be a challenge but I don't think even he thought this season would be this rough.

SECgamecock453 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:22 AM   #4
cocknblue
Looking for Lee Ho Fook's

Male

CockyCash: 600
cocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPitcocknblue rules the CockPit

The situation he inherited didn't just happen overnight -- this started in the late 1990s when Fogler got tired of recruiting and packed it in, continued with Dave Odom (nice guy, but.......), and then the Horn fiasco.

It won't be corrected overnight either. Martin is rebuilding our program from the ground up. I only hope he doesn't get frustrated and move on to an easier situation.

ďOf course, itís a bit of a jump, isnít it? I mean, erÖ chartered accountancy to lion taming in one go. You donít think it might be better if you worked your way towards lion taming, say via banking or insurance?"

Last edited by cocknblue; 03-03-2013 at 09:13 AM.
cocknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:50 AM   #5
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

We can't beat a zone defense. They have to learn how to adjust

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 08:56 AM   #6
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

He's definitely doing it Hoosiers-style. I like it. Ugly now, pretty later.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:19 AM   #7
al hough
Walk On

Male

CockyCash: 500
al hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his combal hough is developing his comb

All of you are correct, he will get it done! I hope he can sign the three players he is after now to go with the ones he has already picked up and the freshman he brought in after getting the job. Read in the Charleston paper what the A&M player said after the game. All about defense, keep the other guy from scoring and the offense will come around.
We are so so short compared with most other teams. 6'5" just can't stay ahead of strong 6'9" and bigger guys with talent.
al hough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:21 AM   #8
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
else. He does not care one bit at this point in time if he loses on the scoreboard. The goal for him is to get guys that will do the things he says.

I personally loved that he played walk ons and i did notice that he was coaching those guys as hard as he would have a talented k state team. I think it is great and i now believe that we will not see certain players next yr.

I applaud the guy and look forward to see a very solid team on the floor as soon as next year. When i say solid, i mean a team that will do what is asked of them, regardless of score.

In hindsight, Williams, Jackson, Richardson, Slawson, Leonard, and probably Geathers should have all transferred when Martin was hired. They are nice, quiet young men and that is not the kind of kid Martin likes. I'm sure they didn't know what Martin was like.

Martin will not adjust what he does to the players on his team. It is his way, or the highway. He does not like coaching quiet, laid-back kids. He does not like coaching kids who may play well in games, but who don't practice well. He is going to play the guys who do things closest to his way, even if they are the least talented on the team, and even if it means losing.

The only juniors or seniors that should consider staying are Smith and Ellington. Frank likes them.

If Martin can recruit players he likes, and who also are talented enough to play in the SEC, then USC will eventually have a winning program.

Last edited by thumpin big; 03-03-2013 at 05:16 PM.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 09:33 AM   #9
CockTail
Two Deep

Male

CockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot materialCockTail is USC mascot material

This team has two problems:

1.) Lack of Talent
2.) Willingness to work

The lack of talent comes from not having consistent shooters from night to night and from having 0 post game, you can not win with neither.

The lack of desire came full circle last night when walk-ons had to get on the floor to show starters under schlorship how to put in an effort.

This team never improved as the year went forward, that is very sad considering who the coach is. A coach should NEVER have to teach desire. I would love to see Frank continue that philosopy for the rest of the year.

"My four is on the floor"
Old 03-03-2013, 09:51 AM   #10
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

I actually really like what happened last night. He sent the message that said you either bust your tail in practice or you aren't playing. I don't care who you are. And because of it, 2 walk-ons got a lot of PT because of it. And at end of this year, the ones that leave, will probably be the ones didn't play because they didn't come to play at practice.

Did he take a bullet yesterday by doing that? Sure. But it was part of a bigger picture.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:06 AM   #11
kosimpsononthestop
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 200
kosimpsononthestop has earned his spurskosimpsononthestop has earned his spurskosimpsononthestop has earned his spurskosimpsononthestop has earned his spurskosimpsononthestop has earned his spurskosimpsononthestop has earned his spurs

Might as well start a walk on at pg. It not like we have anyone else. Smith and Bruce would do fine as a true point guard. Ellington is probably the worst shooter on the team. And he shoots way too much anyway. I love his effort but throwing up 14 shots a night and only making 3 isn't helping our team. And I'm not sure how e. smith has a scholarship. That's the best guard we could find 3 years ago?
kosimpsononthestop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 10:36 AM   #12
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
I actually really like what happened last night. He sent the message that said you either bust your tail in practice or you aren't playing. I don't care who you are. And because of it, 2 walk-ons got a lot of PT because of it. And at end of this year, the ones that leave, will probably be the ones didn't play because they didn't come to play at practice.

Did he take a bullet yesterday by doing that? Sure. But it was part of a bigger picture.
+1. When I played basketball as a kid and in high school, I didn't care who we played I would always give effort because I'm a competitor and can't stand losing at a sport. Some of these guys don't seem to have the drive and it's sad.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

The walkons are actually way better passers and 3pt shooter than our starting guards. They just have trouble getting the same seperation.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2013, 05:51 PM   #14
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
In hindsight, Williams, Jackson, Richardson, Slawson, Leonard, and probably Geathers should have all transferred when Martin was hired. They are nice, quiet young men and that is not the kind of kid Martin likes. I'm sure they didn't know what Martin was like.

Martin will not adjust what he does to the players on his team. It is his way, or the highway. He does not like coaching quiet, laid-back kids. He does not like coaching kids who may play well in games, but who don't practice well. He is going to play the guys who do things closest to his way, even if they are the least talented on the team, and even if it means losing.

The only juniors or seniors that should consider staying are Smith and Ellington. Frank likes them.

If Martin can recruit players he likes, and who also are talented enough to play in the SEC, then USC will eventually have a winning program.
Hehe, I don't like quiet, laid back fans, either. I want 18,000 type A fans in the stands raising hell every game. Unrealistic, yes, but wouldn't it be a sight to behold?!
Old 03-04-2013, 08:38 PM   #15
CarolinaCat
Walk On

CockyCash: 300
CarolinaCat has feathers coming inCarolinaCat has feathers coming inCarolinaCat has feathers coming in

There is only one way a successful college program is run , the head mans way period.

Heard Hubie Brown many years ago explain it this way when he was coaching the Atlanta Hawks.

In Atlanta I am the man , the players have to be subservient to the man and I am the man , end of story.
Pretty matter of fact and definitely to the point. There is only one way , the head mans way , cant deal with it then see ya on down the road kid.

Coach Martin ran a heck of a program at K-State and I expect to see the same happen here at Carolina , just going to take some time to get the right kids in place.
CarolinaCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #16
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 200
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

He's not trying to get them to run a system, as much as he is getting them to play some decent, fundamentally sound half court basketball, because you have to be able to do that in order to be successful. You'll never get better if you try to find ways around it like we did under Horn and his "gamble basketball" he tried to get us to play. Eventually we are have to learn how to play solid half-court defense, and learn how to break a defense down on offense to get good shots without turning it over so much, and to also learn how to make tough, contested shots from time to time. He doesn't want stay on this "helter skelter" "gamble ball" anymore. He's trying to break us of it. The players keep going back to it because they don't have the fundamentals they need.
ReadR00ster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 09:18 PM   #17
Coulwoodwarlord
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 699000
Coulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot materialCoulwoodwarlord is USC mascot material

I'm not gonna dissect anything he does or does not do. I'am convinced that this man wants to be here, and be successful. So I'm just gonna get out of his way and keep my mouth shut.
Coulwoodwarlord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:33 AM   #18
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coulwoodwarlord View Post
I'm not gonna dissect anything he does or does not do. I'am convinced that this man wants to be here, and be successful. So I'm just gonna get out of his way and keep my mouth shut.
you do know that frank doesnt care what you say, either way? i find it funny that you take time out to say you wont be saying anything.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:10 AM   #19
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
He's not trying to get them to run a system, as much as he is getting them to play some decent, fundamentally sound half court basketball, because you have to be able to do that in order to be successful. You'll never get better if you try to find ways around it like we did under Horn and his "gamble basketball" he tried to get us to play. Eventually we are have to learn how to play solid half-court defense, and learn how to break a defense down on offense to get good shots without turning it over so much, and to also learn how to make tough, contested shots from time to time. He doesn't want stay on this "helter skelter" "gamble ball" anymore. He's trying to break us of it. The players keep going back to it because they don't have the fundamentals they need.
I usually don't agree with much that you say, but you have very good points here. The players have to buy into to his style of basketball which is playing fundamentally sound, tough defense, spreading the ball on offense and getting good shots.

Oh, and effort, effort, effort.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 06:34 PM   #20
CarolinaCat
Walk On

CockyCash: 300
CarolinaCat has feathers coming inCarolinaCat has feathers coming inCarolinaCat has feathers coming in

What I believe we will see and what he will do is recruit as he did at Kansas State , that being players that are well aware of not just what will be expected but the type of program he runs. Looking forward to the next few recruiting classes as well as seasons as I seriously believe we will see a marked improvement next season over this season.
CarolinaCat is offline   Reply With Quote