CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Singaporecock
CoverTwo
2000grad
sporkgod50
ReadR00ster
usc1
Cock Kool-Aid
Order 66
rosstheboss
uscsandstorm85
**USC vs. Charleston (4377)
Kelcy and Vic questi (2485)
Group wants Clemson, (982)
Steele projects AP t (900)
US Air nsfw tweet (732)
I like how Frank sou (665)
boiled peanuts (503)
Cuonzo Martin to Cal (463)
Tax day freebies (454)
Sweet Corn!!! (188)
Bamberg High School Baseb
Connor Mitch
Last 5 years in the SEC
2015 - Chris Clark
Aggie game coming in from
**USC vs. Charleston Sout
Bruce, Vic & Kelcy si
Name a Gamecock
SC Supreme Court Rules ag
The case for Clowney at #

Old 03-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #1
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material
Default RB Depth Chart

Spurrier has been known here to ride on one back with a small support cast who get 5-10 snaps spread amongst them. But, I believe half of the reason has been that we've had bad depth or that we've had an all-star player at the position.

This season is different, IMO. We have both depth and talent. What do you think the depth chart will look like come the time to play UNC?

Players: Mike Davis, Brandon Wilds, Shon Carson, Kendric Salley, Devin Potter, David Williams, Jamari Smith

1. Brandon Wilds (APB/3rd Down/Blocking Back)
2. Mike Davis (APB)
3. Shon Carson (Speedster)
4. Kendric Salley (Goal line back)

RS: David Williams, Jamari Smith

I could potentially see David Williams not being RSed.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:00 PM   #2
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Re: RB Depth Chart

I agree with the order posted above:

Wilds has the most "proven" experience in playing against college opponents and SEC opponents: he IMO should be the automatic #1 until someone else unseats him.

Davis has a lot of talent plus some in-game experience, and possibly would be #2.

Carson has some limited experience and has shown out in practices (I believe he was #2 behind Marcus in 2011 before his ACL), so he may be #3.

Then you have Salley with a year's development and play-book learning, plus incoming Williams and Smith who both are talented (I hate to include incoming freshmen in any team depth charts until they actually pass admissions). If they make it in, they could rise up the depth charts based on their talent alone.

But yes I would order it Wilds, Davis, Carson, and Salley for right now....
Old 03-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #3
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Brandon Wilds really impressed me as a true freshman. Now that he's entering his 3rd season, I'd really like to see him start with Davis as his backup. Looking at another thread showing Carson 4th on the depth chart behind Kendrick Salley just doesn't look right.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 46943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Brandon Wilds really impressed me as a true freshman. Now that he's entering his 3rd season, I'd really like to see him start with Davis as his backup. Looking at another thread showing Carson 4th on the depth chart behind Kendrick Salley just doesn't look right.
Yeah I just realized something: won't baseball intrude into Shon's practice time with the FB team? That may be a factor why he's last on the depth chart right now....
Old 03-04-2013, 04:07 PM   #5
USCMM
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100200
USCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot materialUSCMM is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FanofCarolina1 View Post
Yeah, I saw that. Looking at the depth chart made me want to dedicate a thread to the RB depth because it is such an interesting situation.
Old 03-04-2013, 04:13 PM   #6
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

I kind of hope Smith gets a look in the secondary, if he can play there - we have depth at rb, but not enough at db. I think Davis will be the starter, if he can block well enough. If not, Wilds will start. The coaches want a guy that can block. Williams is supposed to be really fast and quick, and he has good size too. Tough not to redshift him, even though we don't really need him with Davis, Wilds, Carson and Salley all available.
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

I think we all expect wilds and davis to tote the load unless someone else surprises. If they aren't real good we'll just sling it with one of our qb's. Yeah we got two. Seriously, name the starting QB's in this league you would take over Thompson (or Shaw), it's a pretty short list.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
BornCocky'86
Good...Great

Male

CockyCash: 283
BornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPitBornCocky'86 rules the CockPit

I feel really good about our guys back there. Blocking will be the biggest issue
"I think maybe we should just sit here quietly now and not say anything, and let you just kinda contemplate on the news I just dropped on you, and let me just kinda contemplate on my own pain and sorrows right now."

Kenny Powers
BornCocky'86 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 04:22 PM   #9
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

I've kind of been hearing Shon will play baseball. I think Salley could be a FB and you have Wilds, Davis and Williams. Jamari will redshirt no doubt.
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:10 PM   #10
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime843 View Post
I've kind of been hearing Shon will play baseball. I think Salley could be a FB and you have Wilds, Davis and Williams. Jamari will redshirt no doubt.

I saw an article on Twitter that TBS retweeted about a walk on fullback. Dude's name is Garrison Gist and he is 5' 9" 250 lbs and reportedly runs a 4.8 40. Has a 450 lb bench, 600 lb squat, and 525 lb deadlift. It also said he competed in and won some strength competitions.

Sounds like he has phenominal strength, but hopefully that can translate into playing strength on the football field. Sounds like he would be able to clean out a LB though..

As for the RB depth I think it goes:
1 - Wilds (I think he can have a break out year; He played incredibly well his freshman yr and seems to be hitting the weight room and training hard)
2 - Davis (good speed and strength; I think he will get about 10 touches a game)
3 - Salley (dude is supposed to be a beast in the weight room.. excited to see his potential)
4 - Carson (as others have mentioned baseball will get in the way for him)
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 05:19 PM   #11
5keeter3
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material5keeter3 is USC mascot material

testing
5keeter3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:52 AM   #12
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 400
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
I saw an article on Twitter that TBS retweeted about a walk on fullback. Dude's name is Garrison Gist and he is 5' 9" 250 lbs and reportedly runs a 4.8 40. Has a 450 lb bench, 600 lb squat, and 525 lb deadlift. It also said he competed in and won some strength competitions.

Sounds like he has phenominal strength, but hopefully that can translate into playing strength on the football field. Sounds like he would be able to clean out a LB though..

As for the RB depth I think it goes:
1 - Wilds (I think he can have a break out year; He played incredibly well his freshman yr and seems to be hitting the weight room and training hard)
2 - Davis (good speed and strength; I think he will get about 10 touches a game)
3 - Salley (dude is supposed to be a beast in the weight room.. excited to see his potential)
4 - Carson (as others have mentioned baseball will get in the way for him)
Holy cow! Is this kid still in High school?! If so, Spurrier needs to get on the horn with his strength coach ASAP!!

Also, it's difficult to wrap my head around the fact that this year we'll not see Marcus in the backfield. Man that sucks.