CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > Fowl Shots

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
StormOfTalons
zcoop
Latti
gamecock88
NinjaSven
gromweat
18IsTheMan
Gyle41386
gocockswyn
CHSgc
Nick Chubb (6385)
A&M on 3rd down (1724)
Spurrier Presser (1692)
All of our defensive (1572)
Uniform thread (1354)
Rankings (1300)
Cack's Toast of the (1278)
Spurrier: Davis Will (1267)
3-4 "D" Ke (944)
Will Devin ever suit (792)
3-4 "D" Keep it
Over reacting?
Nick Chubb
All of our defensive play
Yeti roadie-good tailgate
2015 Commitment - Shameik
East Carolina Prediction
AVGN Movie
Cack's Toast of the Game:
Acock's SEC Wrap Up 2014:

Old 03-05-2013, 03:24 PM   #1
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 500
thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb
Default What if roster has no change?

What if we sign no one else, and everyone who can return does? We will have 13 scholarship players, plus Ellington, plus Steele and Constable as walk-ons.

We will have 5 guys who did not play this year (Geathers, Johnson, Ringer, McKie and Thornwell). 7 of the 13 scholarship players wil be Martin's recruits.

The team will look different. Martin will have more options as to who to play. The team will be considerably bigger than the current team is. We will have 5 guys 6-7 or taller(right now we have 3).

Each of the returning players should be better than they are now. Each should improve themselves as players by next season. Each will have a better idea of what our coaches expect of them and have a better understanding of the offensive and defensive philosophy of the coaches.
thumpin big is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: What if roster has no change?

If this were the case, I think there would be improvement because they get another year in the weight room. Guys like Chatty and Kacinas just need time to fill out their bodies. Another year could help Slawson as well.

Thankfully, Martin has a great strength coach.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

thumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his combthumpin big is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
If this were the case, I think there would be improvement because they get another year in the weight room. Guys like Chatty and Kacinas just need time to fill out their bodies. Another year could help Slawson as well.

Thankfully, Martin has a great strength coach.

Yes. You are right. Carrera too. Well, really everyone should be stronger.
That will be a factor in the improvement of the team next year.

I believe that if the roster does not change from what it currently is projected to be, we will be considerably better next year.
Old 03-05-2013, 03:53 PM   #4
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 749
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
Yes. You are right. Carrera too. Well, really everyone should be stronger.
That will be a factor in the improvement of the team next year.

I believe that if the roster does not change from what it currently is projected to be, we will be considerably better next year.

I don't know about considerably. If you can't shoot you can't shoot, and that is our biggest problem along with size

Last edited by usc1; 03-05-2013 at 04:52 PM.
usc1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 04:12 PM   #5
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by usc1 View Post
I don't know about considerably. If you can't shoot you can't shoot, and that is our biggest problem along with size size.
Well, the size issue should be improved next year. We get bigger in the post with Ringer and Geathers. We get more size for the backcourt with Johnson, McKie and Thornwell. The shooting might also improve with those additions. Plus Williams and BRich have shot the ball pretty well this season, when they could get on the court.
Old 03-05-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
Roosterboy
Household Name

Male

Roosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot materialRoosterboy is USC mascot material

Well...the team should improve a little....probably finish middle of the pack and make NIT.

I hope we sign Demetrius Henry, that would help a lot in the post I think.
1975, 1977, 1981, 1982, 1985, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2010, 2011, 2012
Two-time National Champs

Roosterboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 06:31 PM   #7
Spur20001
4-Star

Male

Spur20001 has feathers coming inSpur20001 has feathers coming in

We have played almost a full season under Martin. Did his players improve as the season progressed? If so, name them. Did our team get better as the season progressed? I fully expected player development and team improvement at this stage of the season. I have not seen either. Also keep in mind we were playing against a very weak SEC this season.
Spur20001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 07:06 PM   #8
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
We have played almost a full season under Martin. Did his players improve as the season progressed? If so, name them. Did our team get better as the season progressed? I fully expected player development and team improvement at this stage of the season. I have not seen either. Also keep in mind we were playing against a very weak SEC this season.

I have to agree. I do think BRich and Leonard are better than last year. But I can't see that the team has gotten better as the season progressed. I'm hoping for the best this week and next.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:46 PM   #9
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1044
Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

I'm concerned that many of Horns recruits just don't care anymore. If that is the case, they need to move along. We have to get players on the team that want to play at USC under Coach Martin.
Travelin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
I'm concerned that many of Horns recruits just don't care anymore. If that is the case, they need to move along. We have to get players on the team that want to play at USC under Coach Martin.

I don't see any signs in the games that there is anyone on this team who does not care. They all seem to be trying very hard.
Old 03-05-2013, 10:56 PM   #11
Cockhornleghorn
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200700
Cockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot materialCockhornleghorn is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cockhornleghorn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spur20001 View Post
Laimonas improved and Michael improved. I think Brian improved, too.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:41 AM   #12
brat
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100500
brat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot materialbrat is USC mascot material

The second half of the season had tougher opponents. That had much to do with our less than sterling results toward the end.

Next year, simply by being more comfortable playing with the same people as you did last year will lead to a fewer mistakes.

I expect improvement for next season, but I do not expect a WOW result. A winning record would be the most I hope for this far out. Anything beyond that is gravy.
Old 03-06-2013, 02:14 AM   #13
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
Shhh, Cockhornleghorn. That doesn't match the narrative. LOL.
OldPat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 AM   #14
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Travelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot materialTravelin is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumpin big View Post
I don't see any signs in the games that there is anyone on this team who does not care. They all seem to be trying very hard.
Only after they got humiliated by Martin after a slew of blowouts. At which time the reg, season was a wash. They seem to be trying harder, but I don't think half of them care if we win or lose. I think the frustration of the Horn years and a coaching change has taken it's toll on some of the players. The ones I'm talking about are the ones that Martin would have never recruited in the first place. Are they trying as hard in practice and away from practice as they seem to be doing during the games?

To answer your question about all of the players with eligibility left returning next year. We will be in the same boat we've been in the last three years, the losing boat.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:06 AM   #15
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cockhornleghorn View Post
There has been some improvement, but team improvement is too little, too late. We have the wrong nucleus of players at the moment. If Brian, Leonard, Williams and Smith were all playing on different teams, I believe each of them would be more successful. I just don't think they mesh well on the court together, as teammates.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:25 AM   #16
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 925
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

The way I look at it, this is a pretty young team. One full off-season under Coach Martin would probably work wonders. Also, under Frank's S&C program, a pretty good team might show up and actually be able to win against a SoCon team.
Old 03-06-2013, 08:34 AM   #17
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Travelin View Post
Only after they got humiliated by Martin after a slew of blowouts. At which time the reg, season was a wash. They seem to be trying harder, but I don't think half of them care if we win or lose. I think the frustration of the Horn years and a coaching change has taken it's toll on some of the players. The ones I'm talking about are the ones that Martin would have never recruited in the first place. Are they trying as hard in practice and away from practice as they seem to be doing during the games?

To answer your question about all of the players with eligibility left returning next year. We will be in the same boat we've been in the last three years, the losing boat.
I disagree. We will have several new players next year to put into the mix. Half the team will have been recruited by Martin. The guys who were recruited by Horn will have played a year under Martin and will know what is expected of them. If they don't perform, then Frank will play the freshmen and sophomores, which he might do anyway.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:05 AM   #18
Travelin
1st Team All-SEC

Male

We have settled for mediocrity so long, we are now cellar-dwellers.

We need better players with better work ethic and attitude that fits Martin's way of doing things. The sooner we have that, the sooner we will have something to build on.
Old 03-06-2013, 09:17 AM   #19
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

next season will depend on johnson IMO. If he's a turnover machine or takes bad shots, we aren't gonna be much better. I'm hoping he knows his role on this team.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 11:09 AM   #20
thumpin big
Two Deep

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadCockFan View Post
next season will depend on johnson IMO. If he's a turnover machine or takes bad shots, we aren't gonna be much better. I'm hoping he knows his role on this team.

I've never seen him play, but based on what I have read, he will be better than Bruce or Eric. We will see. If he can play the pg position well, then you are right, that will go a long way toward determining how well we do next year.