CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
taylorssc
ZenUSC
pitchcock
Coulwoodwarlord
Cockypantherfan
LeeSC
SCohioBoy
gadeneer1986
WeStillOwnUSC
Waldrop doubtful for (1246)
Best position coach (1095)
We Have A New KO Guy (1025)
The New Idea That'll (919)
If we loose to Kensu (845)
I'm over the loss, b (541)
Optimism? Week 1-4 o (346)
So What? (331)
Women's BB "Big (207)
Land For Sale (181)
Thoughts on the basketbal
If we loose to Kensucky..
OSU Coach Takes Down Disr
Waldrop doubtful for Kent
Best position coach or co
Ole Miss football program
We Have A New KO Guy
Dylan Thompson looks brok
2015 Commitment - Mark Fi
One dimensional QB

Old 03-06-2013, 09:31 AM   #1
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Statistical Rankings

Thought this was very interesting and after looking at areas we need to improve the most in...we are stacked at this year.

In rushing offense we were 13th in SEC and 89th nationally
Net punting we were dead last at 14th in SEC and 77th nationally
In sacks allowed we were 12th in SEC and 102nd nationally

Now I know some of you are going to post a lot of the blame on Connor hangin on to the ball too long for the last stat of sacks allowed...but in my opinion...the rushing offense ranking as low as it did shows that it was not as much Connor as it was the OL. We were very young and inexperienced there last year and have so much more depth and talent and experience I can't wait to see what our RBs can do with them making better holes & with them giving our QBs more time! Also...with St Germain coming in & Hull in his 2nd year and improving...I think these stats will improve enough to be the difference in 1 or 2 games...which as we all know could possibly equate to an undefeated season!!!

First spring practice has me pumped...still a long ways til opening kick off...but one things for sure...IT'S A GREAT TIME TO BE A GAMECOCK!!!

Also...a lil more interesting stats from last year...we were 3-2 when we didnt score first.
Also 3-2 when we commit more TO's (obvious stat)...
5-2 when we let opponents pass for more than 200 yds
And 4-2 when trailing in time of possession (another obvious stat)

WIN ANYWAY!!

Last edited by gripitandripit2007; 03-06-2013 at 10:08 AM.
gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:41 AM   #2
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Default Re: Statistical Rankings

It's not all offensive line. Receivers have to do a better job blocking as well.

I think most of the pass protection problems come from the RG. Patrick is just so inconsistent. He, IMO, is the weak link on the offensive line even though he is a Senior. He just gets beat way too often.

St. Germain is a PK .. While the net punt is not very good, Tyler Hull got better as the season went on. I think he will be good this year.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:46 AM   #3
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

I think our line will be much better this year. I think our kicking game will continue to underwhelm. I am just a guy.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 09:53 AM   #4
cockybusiness2
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 470000
cockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot materialcockybusiness2 is USC mascot material

I, too feel good about this year. But then again I am always the glass is half full type of guy.

If we can complete more DOWNFEILD passes on a more consistant basis, then I feel our running game will open up. I think our offense will really be improved this year.

On defense, I donot think we will see as much of a drop off as people keep predicting. I cannot say why I feel this way, just a gut feeling.
cockybusiness2 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 10:03 AM   #5
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It's not all offensive line. Receivers have to do a better job blocking as well.

I think most of the pass protection problems come from the RG. Patrick is just so inconsistent. He, IMO, is the weak link on the offensive line even though he is a Senior. He just gets beat way too often.

St. Germain is a PK .. While the net punt is not very good, Tyler Hull got better as the season went on. I think he will be good this year.
I agree 100% C2...I should have mentioned the WRs...their blocking needs to improve also and even though we lost our best blocking WR...I think our TEs getting more experience and developing will improve blocking down field or from the corners.

Yeah...RG had a majority of the problems...but I think the OL as a whole needs to improve big time. I agree that RP may be the weakest link...but I can name others that aren't far behind him...and I'm not saying its a lack of talent...I think it was just inexperience.

Sorry for the error at punter...I meant the kid from Texas...Elliott Fry...he and Max Huggins from Myrtle Beach have huge legs. Fry was said by many to be the most complete punter in the country. Still excited to see what St Germain does on knockoffs and FGs though

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 03-06-2013, 11:06 AM   #6
FearThethumbandDJ
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:

Didnt he get an extremely short punt during the bowl game? or am i thinking of the michigan punter?
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 12:48 PM   #7
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Actually the aspect of our game that we need to improve desperately is our mid-range to intermediate passing routes. Currently it seems that we're either dumping it off or throwing a short WR screen or going for the house. We need to work on those 7 to 15 yard routes to really open up the running game.
Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #8
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
Actually the aspect of our game that we need to improve desperately is our mid-range to intermediate passing routes. Currently it seems that we're either dumping it off or throwing a short WR screen or going for the house. We need to work on those 7 to 15 yard routes to really open up the running game.
True...but in order to do that consistently and to improve on doing that our QBs need better protection. I know it don't take much time for these routes to get open but after watching tapes of previous games our OL last year didnt allow the time needed to allow these routes to get open...I think with an improved OL this year there will be more midrange passing

WIN ANYWAY!!

Old 03-06-2013, 01:08 PM   #9
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 510
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

We take a lot of sacks because we run a lot QB draws and teams defend it well some times.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:16 PM   #10
Nureye
Smash and Grab

Male

CockyCash: 415
Nureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot materialNureye is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ReadR00ster View Post
We take a lot of sacks because we run a lot QB draws and teams defend it well some times.
Those don't count as sacks. TFL's...not sacks.
Old 03-06-2013, 03:24 PM   #11
79Cock
Recruit

CockyCash: 500
79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb79Cock is developing his comb

Quote:
Agree...hopefully Sport or Park will see some action if his inconsistency continues.
79Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 03:30 PM   #12
MOB49
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
MOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudly

Quote:
With the size and physicality of our WR, I personally don't see them running these routes effectively. Very rarely did I see a WR run a slant, curl, crossing or dig routes.

That doesn't mean we can't run these routes. Anderson and Adams are big and physical pass catchers that can run these routes effectively. I get the feeling that we sometimes forget that TE is one of our best mismatches versus other teams.
MOB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #13
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
I would kill to see some nice slants run to our slot guys and get them in open space. But I agree that the intermediate passing game has been a sore spot for us lately and we need to try and target those intermediate routes in order to open up our offense and make it more dynamic.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 04:58 PM   #14
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOB49 View Post
With the size and physicality of our WR, I personally don't see them running these routes effectively. Very rarely did I see a WR run a slant, curl, crossing or dig routes.

That doesn't mean we can't run these routes. Anderson and Adams are big and physical pass catchers that can run these routes effectively. I get the feeling that we sometimes forget that TE is one of our best mismatches versus other teams.
Yeah our TE can create some match up problems. The TE group ran a fair amount of crossing patterns as well to give them seperation from line backers. I think any of our TE have the ability to run more complex routes but I don't know why they are not used that way.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 05:40 PM   #15
Garnet Gamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Garnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot materialGarnet Gamecock is USC mascot material

Quote:

I agree about Ronald, but don't overlook the fact that Robinson was frequently a revolving door and nearly got our quarterbacks killed. What do you expect from him (or the position) this year?
Old 03-06-2013, 05:55 PM   #16
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I blame part of our OL problem on Elliot. In addition to what has been posted above, he put Brandon at LT, then realized that was not his best position, then moved him over to RT......this hurt his development during the year. I understand the OL is difficult to put together, but we absolutely must do better this year. I think the OL was the weakest part of the team last year.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 07:37 PM   #17
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Excellent thread. Lots of good info and insight, guys.
Couple of Q's if I may?
1) Even I know a slow-footed blind-side tackle = a happy-footed QB. Is there really much that can be done to speed up Robinson's footwork? Reps? Drills? He's a monster otherwise.
2) Many of you remark about RP's inconsistency. IYO what generally accounts for that?
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2013, 08:03 PM   #18
wilbert G willigers
4-Star

Male

wilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurswilbert G willigers has earned his spurs

The offensive line statistic can be interpreted in a number of ways, but overall the line just isn't up to par. While a number of sacks can be blamed on Connor holding the ball too long, he has also prevented quite a number of would-be sacks using his athleticism and scrambling ability.

Overall, like I said, the line must improve. Regardless of the many capable pass-catchers we have along with our accurate QBs, the running attack (outside of Connor) has to improve for us to win an SEC Championship. There have certainly been bumps in the road as far as the line goes, but I support Coach Elliott and love his approach. With the maturation of guys like Shell, Waldrop, and the Stadniks, along with this years great recruiting haul, I see a bright future for the line.

With hosses like Wilds, Davis, and Carson among others toting the rock, the line may often look better than they really are, much like was the case in Marcus's 3 years. That being said, it is time to see some serious production out of the big uglies. In the near future, if our line can consistently be a top 5 line in the league, we can undoubtedly win a National Championship. I don't think there is anyone that can dispute that.
Old 03-06-2013, 11:32 PM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldPat View Post
Excellent thread. Lots of good info and insight, guys.
Couple of Q's if I may?
1) Even I know a slow-footed blind-side tackle = a happy-footed QB. Is there really much that can be done to speed up Robinson's footwork? Reps? Drills? He's a monster otherwise.
2) Many of you remark about RP's inconsistency. IYO what generally accounts for that?
Someone with knowledge of the situation says yes these are correctable.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:45 AM   #20
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

its not just one thing, the oline needs more push, but the fb's, te's, and wr's need to block better too. beyond that we need to call the right plays and commit to the running game. our running game looks worse than it is in my estimation when we get stagnant in the types of running plays we call and we decide to abandon it when we shouldnt.

the lsu and florida games and even the michigan game worries me when it comes to involving the backs. its easy to run when there are big holes every play, but sometimes you have to gut it out and itll eventually pay off. as bad as our team stats ended up being, lattimore was leading the sec in yards from scrimmage after the georgia game.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote