CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
El Cid Ranger
WeStillOwnUSC
COCKYTALKIN
GarnetSwarm1990
taylorssc
thekob
MountainCock
USCNowAndForever
gamecockgal
kingoftheroost
Interesting quotes f (2483)
Have you ever been s (1446)
Tennessee Offense Br (925)
Key for 2015 defense (922)
Skai Moore out for U (749)
Women's Team Ranked (587)
Lebron makes Clevela (489)
This season and recr (488)
SEC Coaches Dress Up (306)
Troubles in Tigertow (303)
***2014 Carolina Panthers
NCAAF: TENNESSEE @ SOUTH
Tevin Mack SG 6-5, 200 (2
Cockaboose Video
Have you ever been so wro
Interesting quotes from D
Lattimore to play after S
USC/Tennessee 11/1/2014
Skai Moore out for UT
USC Heritage Banner

Old 03-07-2013, 08:40 PM   #1
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material
Default COCKYTALK SPRING PRACTICE REPORT 3/7/13 (Practice #2)

Spring Practice #2 (3/7/13)

I got to the field today to see a little bit of the punting practice before the team lined up for game drills. Not a lot to talk about as far as punting goes. Tyler Hull was the “most” consistent of the group but there was a major drop off of skill after him. Even Tyler was having some issues with inconsistency. He seems to have some good hang time, but even kicking with the wind as his back, there wasn’t a lot to say for his distance. Would liked to have seen some of the field goal work to get some indication of who seems to lead that group, but that’ll have to wait for another practice.

I was able to watch the 1-on-1s while the other groups where doing position drills and of that practice there were a few players (to me) that stood out as leaders for this practice. Jadeveon Clowney, Chaz Sutton, Darius English and Phillip Dukes did some nice work on all of the agility drills. Footwork, Speed and explosiveness off the snap pretty much all day. Last year there was some chatter among the fans who attended practices that Clowney seemed to take some plays “off” and called him somewhat lazy. If there was ever a question of JDs decision to play this year, I think he answered it today. I’m convinced that the coaches have had a long discussion with Jadeveon as to what they are expecting out of him as a leader on the field, and he was giving a leader’s effort out there today. I was also very, VERY impressed with Jordan Diggs and his play through the entire practice. Jordan was very energetic, and very quick and was talking it up a lot after making several good defensive plays. Jordon to me looks like a candidate for a Spur position player with some attitude which is what this team needs with the departure of DJ Swearinger. Not saying he will be “That Guy” but he was playing with that kind of attitude today.

I liked what I saw from both Brendon Nosovitch and Connor Mitch. Both guys threw some nice balls and seemed to have good solid footwork. IMO, Connor is going to have a rough time if he is on the playing roster this season. Not because there is a lack of ability, but he has some very thin legs. Definitely a good looking QB in the making, but there is a need for some work in the weight room to get him game ready. Dylan had a good day in spite of throwing a pick to Jimmy Legree in the one on ones. Overall he had a good day hitting several deep balls throughout the practice. Of the three contenders for roster spots right now (minus Connor Shaw), Brendon Nosovitch was the guy who lacked some with the deeper passes but the timing on the shorter routes and to the sidelines was very good. Mitch was able to spread it around as well as throwing a very catchable deep pass. All of the QBs had some issues with the receivers dropping passes, but I’m also convinced that the breezy conditions may have played a part in that today. It’ll be something to watch progress this spring as the weather clears up.

Mike Davis and Brandon Wilds looked good running and catching the ball. The bulk that Brandon has added has not slowed him down by any means. I really want to see how these players look when the pads go on because the speed and size is there for both of them. Mike seems to have a little more “hop” this spring as well. Watching him carry the ball tonight was fun seeing the defenders get into position and Mike hitting the brakes in front of them and then shooting past them before they touched him. I was also impressed with Kendrick Salley’s effort today. Very good hands catching the ball out of the backfield, and (to me), might be have the best hands of the running backs. He also did a pretty solid job toting the ball when he given the chance, but like the rest of the unit, it’s all like Flag Football at this point until the pads go on.

Of the Wideouts, no one really stood out of the group that I could see as far as performance during practice. There were a lot of dropped balls but there was also a lot of having to adjust their routes while the ball was in the air mainly because of the wind. All I can really tell you here is that most all of the receivers as well as the RBs dropped some passes, and there was really no single player who stole the show. Just drawing on the number of balls caught, I think that Buster Anderson was the guy who caught the most, and most of those was during 1-on-1s.

I’m hesitant to give an opinion on the O/line work tonight as well as the D/Line during 11-on-11. There’s just not a conclusion that you can come to when there’s light contact in the trenches without the pads. The Defensive line looked quicker when the units went head to head, but that’s the case with pretty much all the early practices, and with every team. Even so, I think our defensive front is going to surprise a lot of fans who were concerned with the large number that left the program after last year. Both the Dixons along with Phillip Dukes, Chaz Sutton and Darius English are going to combine well with the likes of Clowney, Surratt and Quarles to keep our defense among the best in the SEC. Kelvin Rainey looked sharp as a linebacker along with above mentioned Jordan Dukes. Rainey was very active in the Skels and 11-on-11, and made a very nice interception to end practice tonight, of a high hard pass from one of the QBs. I didn’t catch the number of the guy who threw it, but Rainey made a very nice spear of it from short range. Moving him from Tight End to Linebacker may turn out to be a brilliant move by the coach who suggested it ! Coach Ward and Coach Botkin seems to have put together a good package (at least for the spring) to replace the large group of our defensive front that graduated or left for the draft. Hopefully the good effort from those units will continue throughout the Spring.

Of the DBs, out there today, there were some solid efforts turned in. Jimmy Legree was in on a lot of deflections and as mention early, he read the curl pattern nicely that Kwinton Smith ran and stepped in front of it for a clean pick of the pass by Thompson during one on ones. I also thought both Chris Moody and Brison Williams had stand out performances in the secondary. None of the other guys had picks but there were several deflections and some good strong coverage from those guys through Skels and 11-on-11. Some of the guys I was interested in seeing today didn’t really “Stand out” as much but I’m hoping to see guys like TJ Gurley, Chaz Elder, and Ronnie Martin come around in the next few practices and get into the mix before the Spring Game.

Next practice is over a week and / half away but it was nice to get the “fix” today. I was having a tough time dealing with not getting out there Tuesday.

Last edited by Spurticus; 03-07-2013 at 09:29 PM.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 08:41 PM   #2
Grit_And_Steel
Not The Average Cracker

Male

CockyCash: 200400
Grit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot materialGrit_And_Steel is USC mascot material
Default Re: COCKYTALK SPRING PRACTICE REPORT 3/7/13 (Practice #2)

Good to log in and see a practice report from you Spurticus, thanks for your time and effort!
Old 03-07-2013, 08:57 PM   #3
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Thanks Spurt!
If all goes well, Mitch should have plenty of time to hit the weights before we really need him. at least 2 years. The DLine is going to be a strength.. we're going to have some big bodies at tackle and I truly believe Sutton will be a nice replacement for Devin Taylor.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:02 PM   #4
talon
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 2400
talon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPittalon rules the CockPit

thanks Spurt
talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:10 PM   #5
qcgamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Thanks Spurt....nice to see Rainey making a difference and accepting the challenge of moving to LB.
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:23 PM   #6
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Will Rico Mcwilliams participate in Spring practice? If so that is great news
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:28 PM   #7
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
Actually meant TJ Gurley rather than Rico. .. Not sure McWilliams will
participate in the Spring practices. I think Ronnie Martin has an injury
as well, but haven't heard whether he'll be held out for the entire Spring
or not.
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #8
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grit_And_Steel View Post
Good to log in and see a practice report from you Spurticus, thanks for your time and effort!
Quote:
Originally Posted by USCremedy View Post
Thanks Spurt!
If all goes well, Mitch should have plenty of time to hit the weights before we really need him. at least 2 years. The DLine is going to be a strength.. we're going to have some big bodies at tackle and I truly believe Sutton will be a nice replacement for Devin Taylor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by talon View Post
thanks Spurt
My pleasure
Old 03-07-2013, 09:30 PM   #9
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

Thanks so much for posting this. It is greatly appreciated.

GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 09:33 PM   #10
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by qcgamecock View Post
Thanks Spurt....nice to see Rainey making a difference and accepting the challenge of moving to LB.
I really didn't expect to see much out of Rainey as a LB...I really thought
they were just trying to find him a spot on the roster, but I heard some
good things about him Tuesday, and I watched him tonight and he really
does seem comfortable at LB, and was real active there. I definitely see
him making an impact for the team at that position this year !
Old 03-07-2013, 09:46 PM   #11
Wayneworld11
Walk On

Male

Wayneworld11 has hatched from the shell

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDRAY^# View Post
Tj Gurley and Rico are out until first fall practice
Wayneworld11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:00 PM   #12
jfbreb94
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 615
jfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPitjfbreb94 rules the CockPit

Spurt you are appreciated my brother
jfbreb94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:06 PM   #13
Coondog
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Coondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot materialCoondog is USC mascot material

Thanks Spurt, you're reports are very much appreciated. I read that Shamier Jeffery had some real nice catches today, I have a feeling we may be seeing a lot of him this year.
Coondog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:15 PM   #14
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

Nice report, thanks for doing what you do.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #15
BigMike
Walk On

Male

BigMike has hatched from the shell

great report
BigMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:30 PM   #16
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

nice report spurt. can't wait until the real practices start on the 19-20.

gurley and mcwilliams are just now doing squats and lunges in their rehabs. neither will participate in the spring.

also, not to be contrary, but i read on another site that diggs was getting toasted, especially by anderson. what do you think
about that? i'm especially interested in how quinton looked tonight? and besides the wind, is it possible that the players are faster
with out the pads, and changes the timing of the connections?
Old 03-07-2013, 10:37 PM   #17
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

You mentioned Noso not doing well on the long ball. Was it just placement of the ball, or was it an arm strength issue? I know he's not going to see significant time this year, but was just curious as to if he or Mitch had big arms. Thanks for the report.
cockymac is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:43 PM   #18
U-Dub Gamecock
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 58166
U-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot materialU-Dub Gamecock is USC mascot material

Thanks Spurt....love the early news on Rainey..
U-Dub Gamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2013, 10:58 PM   #19
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coondog View Post
Thanks Spurt, you're reports are very much appreciated. I read that Shamier Jeffery had some real nice catches today, I have a feeling we may be seeing a lot of him this year.
I'm positive the coaches are going to try to get him involved in the offense
but I'm hoping it isn't a replay of the DL Moore scenario from last year.
I'd like to see Jeffrey get lot of PT and produce, but until this season his
performance hasn't been impressive. I have a feeling he won't be the kind
of WR that the coaches are hoping to see from him this year. .... AND

Unless drastic changes are made quick, I'm getting the feeling that Shaq
Roland may end up in that same mold. I just don't see him elevating his
potential right now. Hope I'm wrong on both cases. Would love for them
to get hot for us this fall
Old 03-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #20
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
nice report spurt. can't wait until the real practices start on the 19-20.

gurley and mcwilliams are just now doing squats and lunges in their rehabs. neither will participate in the spring.

also, not to be contrary, but i read on another site that diggs was getting toasted, especially by anderson. what do you think
about that? i'm especially interested in how quinton looked tonight? and besides the wind, is it possible that the players are faster
with out the pads, and changes the timing of the connections?
Anderson beat several guys tonight during 1-on-1s, but other than
Anderson, Diggs made about 3-4 really nice plays to get into position
to knock down some passes. He was the one player from the defense
that was showing some passion after making plays like that too. IMO,
he was one of the standout players of the entire team tonight