CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
markp_vip
WeStillOwnUSC
acejrock
HeadCockFan
TKE226
The Yancey
No Curse
GH
86 GradCock
Legalman72
A&M vent thread (21201)
SOS is pissed (10541)
So, Dylan Thompson? (4147)
I think the Gamecock (2986)
Is anybody still opt (2732)
Confused fan here. (2543)
Man of my word (no t (2521)
I'm not looking forw (2379)
Here's a terrifying (2086)
Just a friendly PSA (1840)
A&M vent thread
great pic
Confused fan here. Why i
Could Mike Davis Be Back
Jimmies and Joes
More NCAA Stupidity: Vand
Acock's Wrap Up: TAMU
Predict the Season (After
So, Dylan Thompson?
Is anybody still optimist

Old 03-08-2013, 12:44 PM   #1
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default Then & Now the actors

OK it is a little slow during the off season.

Back in the day there was a certain group of male actors that could cross over to any part and play it with gusto like they were in fact the caracter they were playing. If we compare the list below who now replaces them? Remember these guys could be a cowboy and ride a horse or a businessman and ride an elevator with the same intensity. Most were also good a comedy as well. Who is the next;

John Wayne
Burt Lancaster
Charleston Heston
Jimmy Stewart
Glenn Ford
Clint Eastwod
Robert Redford
Tommy Lee Jones
Gene Hackman
Steve McQueen
Gary Cooper

Please note the real list is about 75 guys.
Old 03-08-2013, 01:18 PM   #2
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material
Default Re: Then & Now the actors

Denzel Washington
Tom Hanks

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:23 PM   #3
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

John Wayne is the biggest type-cast actor that ever lived. I disagree with him being some type of great cross over actor. Just my opinion. And, yes, I know that I'll catch grief for that but I don't care.

Tommy Lee Jones is very one-dimensional, but I like him. He is entertaining.

Clint Eastwood, way back, played virtually the same tough guy in all the movies, be it western or dirty harry.

Redford is the best actor on that list.

As far as who is next? I can't really say, but Heath Ledger was making a great name for himself as a very versatile actor.

Hugh Jackman shined in Les Miserables and has done other projects besides the Wolverine character. He is a broadway actor.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 01:29 PM   #4
COCKDIESEL
Voice of Reason

Male

CWS Baseball Pickem Winner: CWS Baseball Pickem Winner - Given for: Winning the first CWS Pickem Contest 
CockyCash: 53400000
COCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot materialCOCKDIESEL is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
John Wayne is the biggest type-cast actor that ever lived. I disagree with him being some type of great cross over actor. Just my opinion. And, yes, I know that I'll catch grief for that but I don't care.

Tommy Lee Jones is very one-dimensional, but I like him. He is entertaining.

Clint Eastwood, way back, played virtually the same tough guy in all the movies, be it western or dirty harry.

Redford is the best actor on that list.

As far as who is next? I can't really say, but Heath Ledger was making a great name for himself as a very versatile actor.

Hugh Jackman shined in Les Miserables and has done other projects besides the Wolverine character. He is a broadway actor.
I agree here. John Wayne was the same guy in a different setting in most of his movies. Same thing with Eastwood. Heston could also fall into that category.

COCKDIESEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:23 PM   #5
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Brad Pitt, maybe. Matt Damon? Tommy Lee Jones? Christian Bale?
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:42 PM   #6
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 4445916
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

To those that say John Wayne was one dimensional I would hazard a guess that y'all only know the western and military movies that are played over and over. The quiet man, big Jim McClain, and donovans reef are my favorite john Wayne movies I'm not a western or military film fan really. There are some other movies before he got in the western thing that were really good that he wasn't the star in
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 04:44 PM   #7
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
To those that say John Wayne was one dimensional I would hazard a guess that y'all only know the western and military movies that are played over and over. The quiet man, big Jim McClain, and donovans reef are my favorite john Wayne movies I'm not a western or military film fan really. There are some other movies before he got in the western thing that were really good that he wasn't the star in
I have seen the Quiet Man. It was ok for him but he did not steal the show in that movie.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:03 PM   #8
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

Russell Crow had done several roles well. Mel Gibson, Jeff Bridges came on stronge at first and has had a comeback lately, Kurt Russell, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, and I think Edward Norton.
Old 03-08-2013, 05:10 PM   #9
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

The next John Wayne

Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:12 PM   #10
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
John Wayne is the biggest type-cast actor that ever lived. I disagree with him being some type of great cross over actor.
I agree 100%
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 05:45 PM   #11
Cock Kool-Aid
Banned

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Philip Seymour Hoffman and Daniel Day Lewis are good actors if that's your question. I feel like versaility is assumed when you say someone is a good actor.
Cock Kool-Aid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:55 PM   #12
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

CockyCash: 977700
Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscgmck View Post
OK it is a little slow during the off season.

Back in the day there was a certain group of male actors that could cross over to any part and play it with gusto like they were in fact the caracter they were playing. If we compare the list below who now replaces them? Remember these guys could be a cowboy and ride a horse or a businessman and ride an elevator with the same intensity. Most were also good a comedy as well. Who is the next;

John Wayne
Burt Lancaster
Charleston Heston
Jimmy Stewart
Glenn Ford
Clint Eastwod
Robert Redford
Tommy Lee Jones
Gene Hackman
Steve McQueen
Gary Cooper

Please note the real list is about 75 guys.

I wanted to post my list before reading any of the responses that could influence me.

1) Daniel Day-Lewis

2) Don Cheadle

3) Brad Pitt (yep)

4) Philip Seymore Hoffman

5) Christian Bale

6) Gary Oldman

7) Hugh Jackman

8) Woody Harrelson (Yep)

9) Ed Harris

10) Viggo Mortensen

11) Matt Dillon

12) Pete Postlethwaite

13) Chris Tucker (yep)

These are in no particular order.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:19 PM   #13
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Betty White. Oh, no, wait. Wrong thread. Or is it?
cockymac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 09:42 PM   #14
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post
I wanted to post my list before reading any of the responses that could influence me.

1) Daniel Day-Lewis

2) Don Cheadle

3) Brad Pitt (yep)

5) Christian Bale

6) Gary Oldman

7) Hugh Jackman

8) Woody Harrelson (Yep)

9) Ed Harris

10) Viggo Mortensen

11) Matt Dillon

12) Pete Postlethwaite

13) Chris Tucker (yep)

Pretty good list.
Old 03-08-2013, 09:49 PM   #15
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Next Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot materialNext Year is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metalrush24 View Post
Pretty good list.

Thanks homey
Old 03-08-2013, 10:26 PM   #16
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Johnny Depp by far the variety of roles he has played over the years.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:27 PM   #17
Spurrier_Superior_One
Excuse Free Zone

Male

CockyCash: 26397596
Spurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot materialSpurrier_Superior_One is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RudeCock View Post
Russell Crow had done several roles well. Mel Gibson, Jeff Bridges came on stronge at first and has had a comeback lately, Kurt Russell, Leonardo DiCaprio, Johnny Depp, and I think Edward Norton.
Mel Gibson is the Bing Crosby of acting.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:51 PM   #18
StuckinTN
Durka Durka Durka

Male

CockyCash: 1000500
StuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPitStuckinTN rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Next Year View Post

1) Daniel Day-Lewis

2) Don Cheadle

3) Brad Pitt (yep)

5) Christian Bale

6) Gary Oldman

7) Hugh Jackman

8) Woody Harrelson (Yep)

9) Ed Harris

10) Viggo Mortensen

11) Matt Dillon

12) Pete Postlethwaite

13) Chris Tucker (yep)

I'd also add Steve Buschemi, Christopher Walken, and Will Smith (yep) to that list.
Old 03-08-2013, 10:54 PM   #19
Next Year
Synthetica

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuckinTN View Post
I'd also add Steve Buschemi, Christopher Walken, and Will Smith (yep) to that list.

Yep
Old 03-08-2013, 11:00 PM   #20
Metalrush24
Pro aris et focis

Male

CockyCash: 27359704
Metalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot materialMetalrush24 is USC mascot material

Robert Downey Jr. is pretty impressive IMO

Granted, he doesn't do an incredible amount of movies