CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
gamecock88
Dietz
zcoop
GregoryHouse
Yearofthegamecock
Jdallen20
4gamecockfb
roosterdude21
Badazcock
CockyLifer
**USC vs. Auburn GAM (27873)
ESPN Game Day Commen (2200)
Simple "yes&quo (1552)
We actually didnt lo (1308)
Phil Steele just pre (1235)
what I think ab ward (1072)
Eat Crow (981)
Extremely Proud (955)
Garcia: Change the R (785)
I want people to exp (692)
TeMarcus Blanton
Stop bashing Dylan
Extremely Proud
We would be 7-1 with just
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
I want people to explain
Nick Marshall
**USC vs. Auburn GAME Thr
what I think ab ward
Defense question

Old 03-08-2013, 07:38 PM   #1
ktguen
2nd Team All-American

Female

CockyCash: 1000400
ktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot materialktguen is USC mascot material
Default Swiss hockey player paralyzed after crashing into boards

Ronny Keller Paralyzed After Crashing Into Boards During Swiss Playoff Game, Doctor Says

Ronny Keller, a Swiss ice hockey player for Olten in the NLB league, took a devastating hit in a playoff game on Tuesday night. Doctors treating him say the incident left him paralyzed, according to The Associated Press.
In a playoff game against Langenthal, Keller was going for the puck near his own net when Stefan Schnyder checked him from behind. Keller crashed head first into the boards and had to be stretchered off the ice.
Swiss German-language paper Tages Anzeiger reported that Keller is in the ICU of the Swiss Paraplegic Centre, via Puck Daddy. Swiss media also reported that Schnyder has been questioned by police, according to The Associated Press.
A doctor at the Swiss Paraplegic Centre said in a statement obtained by The Associated that Keller has sustained "permanent spinal paralysis" due to damage to his fourth thoracic vertebra.
This was Keller's 15th season playing professional hockey in the Swiss league, per eliteprospects.com.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/03/07/ronny-keller-paralyzed-injury-boards_n_2830598.html
ktguen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #2
RedSoxGamecock8
South Orange,NJ

Male

CockyCash: 226
RedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudlyRedSoxGamecock8 is crowing loudly
Default Re: Swiss hockey player paralyzed after crashing into boards

What a cheap shot. Crap like this is why hockey gets a bad wrap. I couldn't see in the video by looking at the refs but to make it worse was that not icing?
Old 03-09-2013, 11:37 AM   #3
catdaddy66
Former Walk On in-law

Male

CockyCash: 250018
catdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot materialcatdaddy66 is USC mascot material

Very similar to the hit by an Avalanche player on a Red Wing in the NHL playoffs several years ago (10?). Sorry, I don't remember the names but the Detroit player looked like Quasimodo after the hit! Made for some BAD blood between the teams that continues to this day...

Old 03-09-2013, 12:35 PM   #4
Kaka
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Kaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot materialKaka is USC mascot material

call me what you want but this one of the reasons I don't like hockey, that crap was completely unnecessary, now what the dude is paralyzed? what a tough sport...

Kaka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 12:59 PM   #5
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Reminds me of the Bertuzzi hit on Steve Moore, would not be surprised if he's charged with assault like Bertuzzi was

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:13 PM   #6
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

CockyCash: 500
GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit

I played hockey in high school and took a similar hit to this once. Thankfully I only got a concussion and a broken wrist, but these are the most dangerous plays in hockey. I was lucky enough to put my head up in time before I hit the boards or else I might not be typing this right now. When defensemen are going to the corner to get a loose puck they have to have their head down and facing the boards, leaving them vulnerable to hits like the one in the video above. The AHL tried to combat the issue by creating a hybrid icing rule, but I heard they are doing away with it because the NHL is keeping the traditional touch-up icing.

Thoughts and prayers to Ronny Keller and his family. Hate to see things like this happen in a sport I love so much.

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 01:57 PM   #7
WayzUp
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1200
WayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot materialWayzUp is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to WayzUp

Quote:
Originally Posted by catdaddy66 View Post
Very similar to the hit by an Avalanche player on a Red Wing in the NHL playoffs several years ago (10?). Sorry, I don't remember the names but the Detroit player looked like Quasimodo after the hit! Made for some BAD blood between the teams that continues to this day...

That was Claude Lemieaux on Kris Draper when the Avalanche & Red Wings had a pretty intense rivalry going on for a few years straight. He damn near killed Draper in, you're right, a hit very similar to this if I remember it correctly. He got ejected and that was the last game in the series and I think Detroit went on to win the Cup that year.

The next year rolled around and they met up again in the playoffs & less than a second after the first puck drop, the Red Wing enforcer back then (can't remember his name) IMMEDIATELY jumped on Lemieux and just beat the shit out of him....the refs didn't do a thing to stop it for far longer than they usually would --- probably cuz they knew like everyone else that he had it coming.

This hit here though...happens more than rarely; surprised it's taken this long for someone to get this seriously injured. I hope that Schnyder guy relives this in his dreams for the rest of his life...I know his intent wasn't to paralyze the guy but it was a cheap shot no matter what.
Old 03-09-2013, 03:08 PM   #8
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTjacketcock View Post
I played hockey in high school and took a similar hit to this once. Thankfully I only got a concussion and a broken wrist, but these are the most dangerous plays in hockey. I was lucky enough to put my head up in time before I hit the boards or else I might not be typing this right now. When defensemen are going to the corner to get a loose puck they have to have their head down and facing the boards, leaving them vulnerable to hits like the one in the video above. The AHL tried to combat the issue by creating a hybrid icing rule, but I heard they are doing away with it because the NHL is keeping the traditional touch-up icing.

Thoughts and prayers to Ronny Keller and his family. Hate to see things like this happen in a sport I love so much.
The hybrid icing rule should be the standard in all leagues IMO. It prevents serious injuries. I thought all eurpoean leagues used no touch or automatic icing rules.
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:39 PM   #9
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

i obviously dont understand hockey because it seems i see these types of hits everytime i do watch a hockey game on tv.

I thought it was first to the puck. if you are first and get your ass nailed to the wall then too bad. what am i missing? i mean, it is unfortunate as heck but from what i know, hockey allows it.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 03:54 PM   #10
sandstorm2001
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 100700
sandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot materialsandstorm2001 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
i obviously dont understand hockey because it seems i see these types of hits everytime i do watch a hockey game on tv.

I thought it was first to the puck. if you are first and get your ass nailed to the wall then too bad. what am i missing? i mean, it is unfortunate as heck but from what i know, hockey allows it.
Doesn't look like he ever made it to the puck. Other than that I don't know anything about the rules of Hockey.
Old 03-09-2013, 04:10 PM   #11
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

In International Leagues there is no touch icing.
It occurs when a player shoots the puck across two red lines towards the opposing teams Net.

In the NHL that would not have been an icing because the player on the green team (the guy who got hurt) did not touch the puck.

But in International league play (The olmypics use these rules) once the puck crosses the 2nd red line the play is whistled dead- an icing.

It is tough to make out from the video though if the Yellow or Green team was the one that cleared the puck

#LukeForMod

Old 03-09-2013, 04:11 PM   #12
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

It's scary/crazy to me to watch someone's life change in the blink of an eye like that. I don't like it.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:40 PM   #13
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schecter View Post
It's scary/crazy to me to watch someone's life change in the blink of an eye like that. I don't like it.
And that some guy shoving another guy produced that kind of life changing injury. There is something wrong with that....
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:44 PM   #14
Schecter
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flameout12 View Post
And that some guy shoving another guy produced that kind of life changing injury. There is something wrong with that....
I actually thought about myself, if I caused that injury. I'm not sure how I could live with myself, accident or not.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #15
ccured
What a Rush!!!

Male

CockyCash: 3896416
ccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot materialccured is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Bleed Garnet View Post
In International Leagues there is no touch icing.
It occurs when a player shoots the puck across two red lines towards the opposing teams Net.

In the NHL that would not have been an icing because the player on the green team (the guy who got hurt) did not touch the puck.

But in International league play (The olmypics use these rules) once the puck crosses the 2nd red line the play is whistled dead- an icing.

It is tough to make out from the video though if the Yellow or Green team was the one that cleared the puck
Yellow team threw it in the corner from just past their blue line. It crossed red half, greens blue line, and the greens red end line. Should have been icing in Olympic rules
ccured is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:50 PM   #16
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

i agree. i would know that it was not on purpose but still i would be a bit torn.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2013, 04:58 PM   #17
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccured View Post
Yellow team threw it in the corner from just past their blue line. It crossed red half, greens blue line, and the greens red end line. Should have been icing in Olympic rules
Ok cool from that video I can't really make out who touched it, but judging by the yellow team player rushing down the ice he was probably trying to beat the puck.

#LukeForMod

Old 03-09-2013, 05:09 PM   #18
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

There goes his life. I would hate to be the guy that sent his head into the wall. It's all in the game but I doubt anybody that plays thinks broken neck. It was not a very high velocity hit. Often it is the neck angle caused by the head position.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote