CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
MountainCock
Gamecocks1137
Master Bedroom
ReadR00ster
COCKYTALKIN
The Yancey
taylorssc
smoovecock
RGHoskins
Outland
The Gator Bowl wants (1852)
USC will upset Aubur (1381)
In-state QB talent (1141)
A simple defensive l (1107)
In-state QB talent (968)
Which loss hurt wors (699)
Texas athletic direc (693)
Ranking the SEC Foot (494)
USC Picked 12th By S (471)
BA ranks recruiting (402)
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Ranking the SEC Football
lack of production=
Who start on the d line t
Back like cooked crack
Roll call for Auburn
Rank the QBs under Spurri
Fight, win, kick a-- addi
Thoughts on the basketbal
USC will upset Auburn; Wh

Old 03-12-2013, 10:46 AM   #1
uscgmck
Coming back home, one day

Male

CockyCash: 100500
uscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot materialuscgmck is USC mascot material
Default Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson's idea to fix recruiting

http://www.ajc.com/weblogs/college-r...-fix-recruiti/
Old 03-12-2013, 12:02 PM   #2
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material
Default Re: Georgia Tech coach Paul Johnson's idea to fix recruiting

Intersteing. But would it essentially make the first day of Senior Year in HS the signing day.
Old 03-12-2013, 12:05 PM   #3
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Paul is a little salty, IMO. Dude just doesn't want to recruit that hard.

If I was GT, I would start putting together a buy out this year. The fact that they are basically located right in the middle of the premier talent hotbed in the South and recruit like they do is underwhelming.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:11 PM   #4
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post

If I was GT, I would start putting together a buy out this year. The fact that they are basically located right in the middle of the premier talent hotbed in the South and recruit like they do is underwhelming.
Who wants to be recruited to a Middle School offense?

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:19 PM   #5
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Understand but that is his fault too. Not many people remember he was the OC at Hawaii for 8 years when they were throwing up crazy stats and I think he was working with the run n shoot. So the guy has a passing background. IMO, his defense isn't good enough to be hoarding the ball on offense like he has been doing.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:45 PM   #6
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

leave it as is. the last thing anyone wants is a kid who tore a knee his senior year. signing day is where it is at for a reason.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 12:54 PM   #7
JaxcockFL
Cunning Linquist

Male

CockyCash: 104965
JaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot materialJaxcockFL is USC mascot material

I think it would increase pressure on kids on their visits to sign. Why let a used Dabo salesman close the deal and make a kid regret giving in for the next 4 years?
Old 03-12-2013, 01:04 PM   #8
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

I don't mind his idea, but I do agree that this could get kids being suckered into signing letters while on trips from the pressure by coaches. It is a tough situation. I think papers should have a 30 day back out clause. That way if a kid gets pressured, but realized later it was a bad choice he can get out of it, but would stop the 6 month committed kid who decided on signing day at the last minute to switch schools.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:28 PM   #9
GamecockSuperFan
Run 75% of the time

Male

CockyCash: 400
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Understand but that is his fault too. Not many people remember he was the OC at Hawaii for 8 years when they were throwing up crazy stats and I think he was working with the run n shoot. So the guy has a passing background. IMO, his defense isn't good enough to be hoarding the ball on offense like he has been doing.
True. Sometimes you have to adapt to your team/personnel. Even if that means on the other side of the ball too I guess.
GamecockSuperFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:35 PM   #10
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Quote:

C2, shhhh. Not so loud.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:43 PM   #11
Gaichon
Chartreuse Microbus, 10-4

Male

Gaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot materialGaichon is USC mascot material

I agree with his ideas 100%. Bear in mind I also think he runs the best offense in football, so I know that starts me out in the minority!

Gaichon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:47 PM   #12
jch81
Blue Chip

Male

jch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudlyjch81 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
leave it as is. the last thing anyone wants is a kid who tore a knee his senior year. signing day is where it is at for a reason.
There have been a bunch of players who tore their acl senior year and had productive college careers. For example Tajh Boyd played his senior year with a torn acl and was mvp of the army all american game. In all honesty, there should be an early signing day for the players that are completely sure where they want to go and another for the ones who want to wait.
jch81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 02:52 PM   #13
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

I hope ole PJ hangs around the flats for a long long time
Old 03-12-2013, 02:56 PM   #14
FanofCarolina1
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 436
FanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot materialFanofCarolina1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
After watching two guys I went go to school with play football at GT (Joe Hamilton-QB, and Harvey Middleton-WR) it's still kind of hard to see them in the triple option offense.

Coach Johnson is a good coach. I like GT and hope they beat Clemson and UGA every year.

I agree with C2, how can they be located in Atlanta and NOT pull in great recruits year in and out is beyond me. Maybe it's the offense Coach Johnson runs.
Old 03-12-2013, 02:58 PM   #15
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114508514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Exactly. I like the option but if you want to run the ball on offense them having a good defense is key. GT has played zero defense for at least five years now.
Old 03-12-2013, 03:56 PM   #16
Jwilson
60 Year Fan

Male

Jwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot materialJwilson is USC mascot material

This was floated by Abo a while back. Not exactly, but similar, the early signing period. Bobby Bentley, current head coach at Byrnes called it a load of crap. His point was that high school coaches have enough to do with practice, games, academics, etc. and that he believed it would distract his kids from the tasks at hand. Now, this may or may not be true. What is true is that I have not seen any suggestions from the college ranks that included any thinking about Bentley's point.
Jwilson is offline   Reply With Quote