CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
elcid99
thekob
Lonnie
Master Bedroom
COCKYTALKIN
Rooster'srule
Roosterboy
markp_vip
garnet_black215
My predictions for 2 (743)
An Aggies View of th (478)
Tennessee (352)
SEC Recruiting Advan (300)
Mike Davis' HS Coach (265)
Clowney in Practice (251)
Camp scheduled relea (163)
Question on Student (162)
Galaxy vs Seatle (162)
NCAA Concussion Sett (143)
2016 - Brandon McIlwain
2015 - Zack Bailey
An Aggies View of the Mat
FIFA 14 on PS3
Clemson Recruiting...how
Hello Gamecocks!
Green and Lammons
Question on Student Secti
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
2015 Commitment - Mon Den

Old 03-13-2013, 12:23 AM   #1
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material
Default Article: Wilds or Davis to be Feature Back?

Pretty good online article from GreenvilleOnline.com (I hope this reference is allowed here...if not, please delete):

http://www.greenvilleonline.com/arti...nclick_check=1

Interview with Coach Sands: he says he doesn't expect a "RB-by-committee" approach for USC this season, and that Wilds and Davis are front-runners to be the "feature back" for USC. Whoever wins the job will reportedly get 60%+ of the carries.

Quote:
The two feature somewhat different running styles. At 5-foot-9 and 215 pounds, Davis is considered the shiftier of the two, with the 6-2, 218-pound Wilds described more as a power back.

However, Davis said, Wilds has speed to spare.

“The dude ran a 4.4 (40-yard dash) this winter,” Davis said. “You can’t sleep on Brandon about his speed.”
Old 03-13-2013, 12:41 AM   #2
dapheet
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
dapheet has feathers coming indapheet has feathers coming in
Default Re: Article: Wilds or Davis to be Feature Back?

Love the competition. hopefully it will show.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:45 AM   #3
GoldenSpur7
Praemonitus praemunitus

Male

CockyCash: 401
GoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot materialGoldenSpur7 is USC mascot material

Wilds ran a 4.4? That's very surprising.
GoldenSpur7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 12:47 AM   #4
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Personally, I would go by situation. Give Davis most of the carries in the open field, then give Wilds the carries inside the 30 and on short yardage situations.
Old 03-13-2013, 12:57 AM   #5
USCremedy
This your bush?

Male

CockyCash: 2300
USCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot materialUSCremedy is USC mascot material

Davis seems to be the fan favorite, but Wilds is going to suprise. They will both contribute.

USCremedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 01:19 AM   #6
MillerTime843
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1135301
MillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot materialMillerTime843 is USC mascot material

A big back with 4.4 speed! Me likey :)
MillerTime843 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 02:02 AM   #7
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

BW was a surprise year before last when he filled in for Latti, and Davis looked good last year in limited action. Both these guys are good running the ball. May well come down to who's the better pass-catcher and blocker.
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 03:31 AM   #8
BigSteven34
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 35360615
BigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot materialBigSteven34 is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to BigSteven34

Holy crap, Wilds ran a 4.4! I know things are different when you put the pads on...but damn, I didn't know he was that fast.
BigSteven34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 04:19 AM   #9
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Reading 4.4 just blew my mind. I think Wilds will be the main guy, with Davis getting plenty of carries. Both these guys are fast. It's going to be exciting seeing 2 backs with break away speed once they get to the second level of the defense.

Kind of like Lattimore/Kenny Miles, except you might not see Wilds getting 30+ carries a game with Davis capable of taking some of the load off.

This is going to be interesting to watch. Needless to say I think we'll be in great hands at the runningback position.
Old 03-13-2013, 04:27 AM   #10
bcolinc
4-Star

Male

bcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudlybcolinc is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Personally, I would go by situation. Give Davis most of the carries in the open field, then give Wilds the carries inside the 30 and on short yardage situations.
I would agree with that statement, logically. Can you imagine how effective that approach would be. Not to mention maybe D. Williams coming off the bench for some reps. We have a lot to be excited about in the backfield again!
Old 03-13-2013, 07:04 AM   #11
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

davis may be the fan favorite to those with short memories or those who look at star ratings. at this point, give me the proven player. wilds was outstanding 2 yrs ago and has become stronger and faster.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:14 AM   #12
eaglegolf018
#1 Gamecock Braves Fan

Male

CockyCash: 96872
eaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot materialeaglegolf018 is USC mascot material

I don't think we're going to have a "feature back". Way too much talent to give only 1 the load. And they're all very different. So they bring a different style in. But if I had to pick one that I look at right now and say he's ready for 30 touches a game and need him for a "Lattimore drive" where he puts the game away late, I'd say its Wilds.
eaglegolf018 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:36 AM   #13
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by eaglegolf018 View Post
I don't think we're going to have a "feature back". Way too much talent to give only 1 the load. And they're all very different. So they bring a different style in. But if I had to pick one that I look at right now and say he's ready for 30 touches a game and need him for a "Lattimore drive" where he puts the game away late, I'd say its Wilds.
We need to follow LSU and Alabama's lead and use multiple talented backs since we have 'em.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:52 AM   #14
davisd9
4-Star

Male

davisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talonsdavisd9 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by cockypanther View Post
We need to follow LSU and Alabama's lead and use multiple talented backs since we have 'em.
Agreed! As the defense is wearing down just rotate in the fresh back! Beat them until they give up.
davisd9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 AM   #15
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Maybe we could call them "Thunder and Lightning"
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Wilds at 4.4 and Clowney at 4.5

Reminds me of Arkansas a few years ago

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:24 AM   #17
LegalCock
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1500
LegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot materialLegalCock is USC mascot material

We tried to tell you he was bigger and faster.
LegalCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:43 AM   #18
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

My guess would be Wilds, but both guys need to work on their blocking.

Depth is a nice problem. Not too long ago we would laugh at the idea of redshirting a 4 star back, but that may very well happen this year.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:52 AM   #19
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talonsscfanohio has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acockolypse Now View Post
My guess would be Wilds, but both guys need to work on their blocking..
This!

It's easy to forget how good and valuable Marcus and Kenny were as blockers.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #20
CockLurker
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 7920
CockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPitCockLurker rules the CockPit

Still don't understand why Wilds is considered a big back - he's tall, but he's not big, as evidenced by the fact that MD weighs just as much even though he's significantly shorter.

Is wilds actually the "smallest" back on the roster?

I'm in the crowd that thinks both should see good playing time. The competition for feature back status may just be a way to keep a fire lit between these guys to have them busting their tails until the season starts.
CockLurker is offline   Reply With Quote