CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
U-Dub Gamecock
taylorssc
Outland
Latt7more
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Grit_And_Steel
gadeneer1986
ReadR00ster
Does South Carolina (1683)
Lorenzo Nunez (1122)
Incoming Class (951)
Rest of the season p (925)
Let us clarify some (737)
Tennessee kickoff an (673)
Bruce Ellington's Fi (662)
Tennessee Game Time (661)
Just thought of some (571)
Is Clowney back toni (533)
Why is everyone anticipat
Miss St. defense
CBS: SOS to Florida?
How did we not make it.
Seventh Woods (2016 Prosp
Peyton Manning breaks Bre
2014 Garnet and Black Wor
To ANYONE complaining abo
2014 Ultimate Tailgate --
Let us clarify some thing

Old 03-13-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2110801
DA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot material
Default Charleston SC

Get to spend a 3 day weekend next week on friday to sunday. Going for a wedding for two friends of ours. They're both Gamecock fans and i volunteered to do the photography for them. I heard about the old town but for those in the know what should i look to see why im there.

Also they rented a beach house. So its going to be awesome.
Old 03-13-2013, 07:38 PM   #2
spareparts
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 1000509
spareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot materialspareparts is USC mascot material
Default Re: Charleston SC

If you encounter anyone from Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana, tell them you have smallpox
spareparts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:41 PM   #3
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

DA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by spareparts View Post
If you encounter anyone from Ohio, Michigan, or Indiana, tell them you have smallpox
LOL I'm actually working with someone who's from Cleveland. Entertaining talking sports with him.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:48 PM   #4
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Welcome!

Do you know where the beach house is?
Old 03-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Welcome!

Do you know where the beach house is?
No i dont. Ill GPS it when i leave friday morning.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:10 PM   #6
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

Arctic avenue.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:12 PM   #7
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

I think what he means is, is the house on Sullivans, IOP, Folly, etc? Ok...Folly. Lots to do on Folly. Great nightlife there. From there you can make it to downtown easily. Tons to do downtown. The Aquarium, the Market area, King Street.

Also...not really sure what you mean by "the old town". The only thing I can think of that is referred to as "Old Town" is Old Mt Pleasant.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 09:17 PM   #8
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I think what he means is, is the house on Sullivans, IOP, Folly, etc? Ok...Folly. Lots to do on Folly. Great nightlife there. From there you can make it to downtown easily. Tons to do downtown. The Aquarium, the Market area, King Street.

Also...not really sure what you mean by "the old town". The only thing I can think of that is referred to as "Old Town" is Old Mt Pleasant.
I dont know much about the city. But after working all the hours i have been. Im ready for a break. Ill take a bunch of pics.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material

I'll be honest...you may be perfectly content just hanging on Folly, especially if the weather is nice. But if you have a full day free, go ahead and venture downtown to the Market area. Park around there and you can walk to most everything worth seeing on the Peninsula. Charleston is a city made for walking, not driving.
Old 03-13-2013, 09:31 PM   #10
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
I'll be honest...you may be perfectly content just hanging on Folly, especially if the weather is nice. But if you have a full day free, go ahead and venture downtown to the Market area. Park around there and you can walk to most everything worth seeing on the Peninsula. Charleston is a city made for walking, not driving.
Were leaving out of York early on friday. So we should get there before noon. I really want to check out the scenery. I have Friday and most of Sunday to look around.
Old 03-13-2013, 10:09 PM   #11
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by DA954BADBOY View Post
Arctic avenue.
That's Folly Beach.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 10:43 PM   #12
Acockolypse Now
L-I-V-I-N

Male

CockyCash: 45000175
Acockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot materialAcockolypse Now is USC mascot material

Be sure to eat at Captain D's in Mt. Pleasant.

Authentic low-country seafood.
Old 03-14-2013, 08:16 AM   #13
pitchcock
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 29792600
pitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot materialpitchcock is USC mascot material

Do not speed in Folly Beach. If you park on the street, make sure your wheels are off the pavement. If the sand covers the pavement and you think you're off, they'll ticket you.

While you're there, drive all the way to the East end (it's technically North, but they call it East), there's a little pay lot just before you get to the end. It costs like $1/hr that you put in an honor box. Walk through the gate down the road, it ends right where the Morris Island lighthouse is. Great area for pictures.

Go to Bowens Island late in the afternoon Friday or Saturday, the view is terrific and the food is pretty good. I think they're closed Sundays.

If you make it to downtown Charleston, park at the Battery and walk around the waterfront. You can also park in one of the garages off of King Street and walk that area all the way over to the Waterfront Park. Wear good shoes and watch where you're walking, there's lots of uneven pavement in some areas.
pitchcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:34 AM   #14
davidmc467
Little Engine That Could

Male

CockyCash: 500
davidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot materialdavidmc467 is USC mascot material

If you're a history buff, make sure you walk around the cemeteries, and visit Ft. Sumter.

I'm looking at going to Charleston in April.

It is insane how much weekend rates are for hotels if you want to stay in a decent part of town. Yikes!

davidmc467 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 08:53 AM   #15
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by pitchcock View Post
Do not speed in Folly Beach. If you park on the street, make sure your wheels are off the pavement. If the sand covers the pavement and you think you're off, they'll ticket you.

While you're there, drive all the way to the East end (it's technically North, but they call it East), there's a little pay lot just before you get to the end. It costs like $1/hr that you put in an honor box. Walk through the gate down the road, it ends right where the Morris Island lighthouse is. Great area for pictures.

Go to Bowens Island late in the afternoon Friday or Saturday, the view is terrific and the food is pretty good. I think they're closed Sundays.

If you make it to downtown Charleston, park at the Battery and walk around the waterfront. You can also park in one of the garages off of King Street and walk that area all the way over to the Waterfront Park. Wear good shoes and watch where you're walking, there's lots of uneven pavement in some areas.

This. Bowens island restaurant is one of the best local spots in Charleston. Period. The food is fresh and good but the view is unbeatable. Get there between 4-4:30 if you can. It gets crowded.

Take some time to walk around the market, rainbow row and the battery. I also enjoy walking the bridge.

The Morris island lighthouse is also a great spot. Typically not crowded and good for pictures.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:01 AM   #16
riceatusc
Misses Old Cockytalk

Male

CockyCash: 305013227
riceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot materialriceatusc is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to riceatusc Send a message via MSN to riceatusc

Very casual place to get a meal is one of my favorite restaurants ever

http://www.pagesokragrill.com/
Old 03-14-2013, 09:07 AM   #17
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
This. Bowens island restaurant is one of the best local spots in Charleston. Period. The food is fresh and good but the view is unbeatable. Get there between 4-4:30 if you can. It gets crowded.

Take some time to walk around the market, rainbow row and the battery. I also enjoy walking the bridge.

The Morris island lighthouse is also a great spot. Typically not crowded and good for pictures.
Is Bowens still cash only? Or am I confusing it with The Wreck.

Just want to be sure if they are cash only he's forewarned.
Old 03-14-2013, 09:36 AM   #18
Cockholio
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
Cockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot materialCockholio is USC mascot material

Definitely hit downtown for a stroll. With the limited time you have, I wouldn't plan a bunch of stuff. A lot of people recommend the Market on Market St., which is cool for those that have time to burn, but really, it's an upper echelon flea market with touristy trinkets, artwork, t-shirts, etc., so save that for the next time you're down.
I'd definitely hit the Battery for a walk and pic taking. You can see Ft.Sumter from there. Maybe hit Waterfront Park, which is excellent for pics and the 'must have' pic of yourself or friends with the Yorktown Aircraft Carrier in the backdrop. Definitely drive over the Ravenel bridge to Mt.Pleasant. If you've never been over a bridge like that, it's very cool and somewhat unnerving for some. There's a little waterfront park on the Mt.Pleasant side that is excellent for pics.
The Wild Wing Cafe in Mt.Pleasant is a great Friday Night spot for beers and, if you're interested, some of the prettiest girls the Lowcountry has to offer. I don't know what it is about that place.. Red's Icehouse on Shem Creek is another popular venue for food & drink, girls. But hey, you're staying on Folly and they have a few cool taverns as well. I'd check the tide schedule for time on the beach. Low tide, the beach at Folly is great. High tide, no beach. Enjoy.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:36 AM   #19
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

Have brunch at The Lost Dog on Folly.
CockyFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:51 AM   #20
carolinagirl7
Walk On

Female

carolinagirl7 has hatched from the shell

go get some incredible shrimp and oysters at the wreck. all-time fave.
carolinagirl7 is offline   Reply With Quote