CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
ShutTheSuccop
lake-cityCOCK89
Superadiabatic
highstick
ccured
cockybreeyan
ChickenButt
kingofnerf
400 pasing yards (796)
Funny? (736)
Nosovitch (689)
HBC Weekly Presser (632)
This program has no (583)
Zone Read Analysis w (472)
Thompson Has Neck In (462)
What fish do you eat (455)
KY Suspends 4 Player (418)
Would You Accept Lam (273)
Four UK Players Suspended
400 pasing yards
2016 - Tavien Feaster
Build a New Stadium
State talent drying up
Defer Or Not?
4th & 1 Play
HBC Weekly Presser
Thompson Has Neck Injury
liquor in the stadium

Old 03-14-2013, 10:33 PM   #1
usc4lyf
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
usc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spurs
Default This weeks SI

Any one see this weeks "The Mail" section in SI. Titled "One Hit Wonder" someone wrote blasting Clowney. It just got under my skin saying he was almost invisible. What some people that have never played the game don't understand is on some plays they could be double teaming him which frees up somebody else.
usc4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:41 PM   #2
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material
Default Re: This weeks SI

I can see him being called a one hit wonder. One hit by Clowney and you will wonder what the heck just happened!

Seriously, they are ignorant if they don't recognize his impact. Obviously, they don't watch ESPN.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #3
Spur's Addiction
Been caught moddin'...

Male

CockyCash: 200
Spur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot materialSpur's Addiction is USC mascot material

Haters gonna hate. Probably a tater or a fan of some other team we have been whooping up on. Just let it go. Let his play on the field do the talking.
Old 03-14-2013, 10:42 PM   #4
gamecockphan
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Probably a Michigan fan.

Who cares what some asshat fan thinks. JD is the consensus best player in college football and the #1 pick in the draft.
gamecockphan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 10:57 PM   #5
usc4lyf
Recruit

Male

usc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spursusc4lyf has earned his spurs

He is from Illinois.
usc4lyf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:39 PM   #6
MEL
RIP Feisty & C-Girl

Female

CockyCash: 3000500
MEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot materialMEL is USC mascot material

Hmmmm. My brother lives in Illinois and is a big Dawg fan. Was the article signed or have any name(s) attached to it?
MEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 11:47 PM   #7
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I think his stats speak for themselves......and he was only 19 during last season and the Outback bowl. What's going to happen when he grows up.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 12:42 AM   #8
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

I guess the Bleacher Report "writers" had to go somewhere.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:46 AM   #9
PeeCock
Walk On

CockyCash: 540
PeeCock has earned his spursPeeCock has earned his spursPeeCock has earned his spursPeeCock has earned his spursPeeCock has earned his spursPeeCock has earned his spurs

Found him on Facebook and sent him the message below. He responded this morning (also below) claiming innocence:

"I intended to go back through and review the entire Outback Bowl in order to prove that your Sports Illustrated Letter to the Editor assessment of Jadeveon Clowney's performance was inaccurate. However, when I chose instead to first review your assessment of same solely during Michigan's final series, I knew there was no need for me to waste my time doing so.

You wrote, ' . . . he offered little resistance as the Wolverines marched down the field to score a touchdown . . . '. Well, during that final series, Michigan ran 10 plays, six passes and four running plays. Every pass was either a quick release, three-step drop or was run from the shotgun, none of which left any real opportunity for a sack. However, on one of those six, Clowney read the pass, dropped back off the line of scrimmage, and tackled the receiver for no gain near the Carolina sideline.Of the four running plays, only one was run to Clowney's side. It resulted in a four yard loss in the Michigan backfield by . . . Jadeveon Clowney.

Week-after-week for the past two years, Clowney has been faced with offenses that not only have choose to intentionally avoid him, but that have double, and sometimes triple, teamed him. This coming year will be no different. While he has the inside track on winning the Heisman, he'll be forced to contend with not only this type of "blocking by committee", but also a plethora of disgruntled sports beat writers/Heisman voters from the Big 10 and Big 12 who are tired of watching SEC schools and their players dominate D-1 football. Nevertheless, just as cream rises to the top, so does the performance of those destined for great things. Such is Jadeveon Clowney."

HIS RESPONSE:

"The funny thing about my letter that appeared in Sports Illustrated this week is that very little of it is actually what I wrote. I understand that they may need to edit these things in order to meet available space requirements, but the ' . . . he offered little resistance as the Wolverines marched down the field to score a touchdown . . . ' passage was a total fabrication by them.

I did note that Michigan went right back down the field to score after The Hit, mainly as a vehicle to point out that the play did not provide any type of ³momentum² change, but placed no blame on Clowney for that drive, and certainly didn¹t use the phrase ³He seemed so in awe of himself....² In fact, I used terms like ³eye-popping² and ³there¹s no doubting his physical skills² to describe his abilities and said that he will become a very rich young man when he heads to the NFL.

Bottom line, the letter may have included my main point the 3 tackles in 82 plays (and we can argue until the cows come home about the effects of double- and triple-teaming, formations and whatnot, remembering that all great DEs are schemed for and double- and triple-teamed most of their lives)--but the bulkof it was a total misrepresentation of what I wrote.

Last edited by PeeCock; 03-15-2013 at 12:12 PM.
PeeCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 11:55 AM   #10
GamecockMomSC
Sweet Carolina Girl

Female

CockyCash: 101194810
GamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot materialGamecockMomSC is USC mascot material

WOW! I would be beyond PO if I wrote to a magazine and they changed my letter as much as he is claiming and still put my name on it.
GamecockMomSC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 03:34 PM   #11
seamus
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
seamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudlyseamus is crowing loudly

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, no matter how wrong they may be. Just ignore it. JD will be the best defensive player in D-1 no matter what SI happens to think.
seamus is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 04:43 PM   #12
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeeCock View Post
Found him on Facebook and sent him the message below. He responded this morning (also below) claiming innocence:

"I intended to go back through and review the entire Outback Bowl in order to prove that your Sports Illustrated Letter to the Editor assessment of Jadeveon Clowney's performance was inaccurate. However, when I chose instead to first review your assessment of same solely during Michigan's final series, I knew there was no need for me to waste my time doing so.

You wrote, ' . . . he offered little resistance as the Wolverines marched down the field to score a touchdown . . . '. Well, during that final series, Michigan ran 10 plays, six passes and four running plays. Every pass was either a quick release, three-step drop or was run from the shotgun, none of which left any real opportunity for a sack. However, on one of those six, Clowney read the pass, dropped back off the line of scrimmage, and tackled the receiver for no gain near the Carolina sideline.Of the four running plays, only one was run to Clowney's side. It resulted in a four yard loss in the Michigan backfield by . . . Jadeveon Clowney.

Week-after-week for the past two years, Clowney has been faced with offenses that not only have choose to intentionally avoid him, but that have double, and sometimes triple, teamed him. This coming year will be no different. While he has the inside track on winning the Heisman, he'll be forced to contend with not only this type of "blocking by committee", but also a plethora of disgruntled sports beat writers/Heisman voters from the Big 10 and Big 12 who are tired of watching SEC schools and their players dominate D-1 football. Nevertheless, just as cream rises to the top, so does the performance of those destined for great things. Such is Jadeveon Clowney."

HIS RESPONSE:

"The funny thing about my letter that appeared in Sports Illustrated this week is that very little of it is actually what I wrote. I understand that they may need to edit these things in order to meet available space requirements, but the ' . . . he offered little resistance as the Wolverines marched down the field to score a touchdown . . . ' passage was a total fabrication by them.

I did note that Michigan went right back down the field to score after The Hit, mainly as a vehicle to point out that the play did not provide any type of ³momentum² change, but placed no blame on Clowney for that drive, and certainly didn¹t use the phrase ³He seemed so in awe of himself....² In fact, I used terms like ³eye-popping² and ³there¹s no doubting his physical skills² to describe his abilities and said that he will become a very rich young man when he heads to the NFL.

Bottom line, the letter may have included my main point the 3 tackles in 82 plays (and we can argue until the cows come home about the effects of double- and triple-teaming, formations and whatnot, remembering that all great DEs are schemed for and double- and triple-teamed most of their lives)--but the bulkof it was a total misrepresentation of what I wrote.
I can't believe they changed what you wrote. One small change can tilt an article. It was a fantastic college football game. I hope we get a chance to play each other again. It was as good as any bowl game I have attended.
Clowney and Smith got a bunch of publicity from it. That is a good thing. The hit was fantastic and Smith popping up was exciting. I hope he gets a look from the pros. He is small but tough.
Garnet girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 05:33 PM   #13
me4USC
Blue Chip

Female

me4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot materialme4USC is USC mascot material

Newspapers and magazines edit the letters all the time. It has happened to me, too.

me4USC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2013, 10:30 PM   #14
VincentSmithsHead
Walk On

Male

VincentSmithsHead has hatched from the shell

I was shaking my head as I just read this in my SI magazine. I also went to see if I could find the guy on Facebook to see whether he was just another butthurt Michigan fan that was mad this play and the App State upset were the most relevant they've been in over a half decade. I don't count their BCS win because they or shitty VT didn't deserve to be in the Kraft Fight Hunger Bowl much less a BCS game. It appeared he was not and that ESPN butchered his comments so I gave him a pass and decided not to email bomb his Facebook inbox with a macro.
VincentSmithsHead is offline   Reply With Quote