CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Other Sports > The Locker Room

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
ReadR00ster
RGHoskins
Master Bedroom
Kaka
gadeneer1986
donbgamecock
Emery
A. Pilgrim
taylorssc
Fight, win, kick a-- (1571)
The Gator Bowl wants (1306)
Why I'm hopeful abou (1234)
USC will upset Aubur (954)
A simple defensive l (891)
In-state QB talent (821)
Texas athletic direc (536)
Which loss hurt wors (472)
SEC Debate: Best can (427)
This is War (399)
USC will upset Auburn; Wh
Which loss hurt worse, Mi
BA ranks recruiting class
SEC Debate: Best candidat
In-state QB talent
Why I'm hopeful about Aub
Madrid vs Barca
USC Picked 12th By SEC Me
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Roll call for Auburn

Old 03-25-2013, 02:07 PM   #1
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default New NCAA Basketball Rule Idea

Lets be honest, the game of College Basketball isn't what it used to be. Nothing against FGCU, but there is NO WAY a school should have a team for 2 years and be in the sweet 16.

I was talking with some friends this weekend and thought of a potential new rule and wanted to run it by the gang.

What do you think if Mens Basketball went to the same ruling as Baseball?

Allow kids to go pro out of HS, BUT, if they go to college they must stay for 3 years.

... go

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:11 PM   #2
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material
Default Re: New NCAA Basketball Rule Idea

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
Lets be honest, the game of College Basketball isn't what it used to be. Nothing against FGCU, but there is NO WAY a school should have a team for 2 years and be in the sweet 16.

I was talking with some friends this weekend and thought of a potential new rule and wanted to run it by the gang.

Allow kids to go pro out of HS, BUT, if they go to college they must stay for 3 years.

... go
That's what makes March Madness so exciting. You don't want it to be predictable and have the same teams winning all the time.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #3
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

So March Madness before the last ... 5-10 years wasn't exciting? Grant Hill and Christian Lattiner were both upper classmen when they made one of the most exciting plays in tournament history.

Bryce Drew was a senior the year he hit the game winning shot over Ole Miss in the tourney.

Not saying underclassmen can't perform, but the game quality isn't there anymore, and with the rules the way they are, won't ever return.

Old 03-25-2013, 02:16 PM   #4
I Bleed Garnet
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 524485398
I Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot materialI Bleed Garnet is USC mascot material

Na, I enjoy it.

#LukeForMod
2010 Football SEC East Champs
2009 Basketball SEC East Co-Champs

"9 out of 10 schools cheat, and the 10th is in last place"-Jerry Tarkanian
I Bleed Garnet is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:17 PM   #5
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:

... go
I think they should adopt this, but with a two year rule. It would make NCAA basketball better and better prepare players for the NBA.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:20 PM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It would allow the talent to be spread around though. Not all of the elite players would end up at UK because there is a scholarship limit and I THINK a limit on how many players you can sign in 2 years. I don't think it would solve the "problem" at all.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:36 PM   #7
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
It would allow the talent to be spread around though. Not all of the elite players would end up at UK because there is a scholarship limit and I THINK a limit on how many players you can sign in 2 years. I don't think it would solve the "problem" at all.

You'd have guys like Ralph Sampson playing at UVA again

Old 03-25-2013, 02:52 PM   #8
usc1
Class of 2013

Male

CockyCash: 200
usc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot materialusc1 is USC mascot material

Quote:
So March Madness before the last ... 5-10 years wasn't exciting? Grant Hill and Christian Lattiner were both upper classmen when they made one of the most exciting plays in tournament history.

Bryce Drew was a senior the year he hit the game winning shot over Ole Miss in the tourney.

Not saying underclassmen can't perform, but the game quality isn't there anymore, and with the rules the way they are, won't ever return.

The best basketball team wins the championship every year. That never changes. So why try to reduce the exciting upsets along the way?
Old 03-25-2013, 02:53 PM   #9
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 500
markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

I've been in favor of this for a while. Problem is that rules like these are done on the professional level and are usually collectively bargained. Since the one and done rule is working well for the NBA, I don't foresee them changing it any time soon.

If the NCAA were to enact any rules like this, I think you'd see more cases like Brandon Jennings and Jeremy Tyler going overseas or possibly exploring the option of playing in the D-League for 1 year before going to the NBA.
markymark550 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 02:55 PM   #10
usc90grad
Cum Laude Cock

Male

CockyCash: 420000
usc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot materialusc90grad is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to usc90grad

I love March Madness since anything can happen. But I wish kids had to stay at least 2 maybe 3 years in college before going to the NBA. It was awesome in the 80's watching Sampson, Len Bias, Jordan, etc play at least though their junior year.

And that's one reason the NBA is such a bad product. Lots of the young kids don't have the basic fundamentals, body strength, etc. Plus it used to be you followed a kid in the NBA because you followed him for 3-4 years in college. Not anymore.
Old 03-25-2013, 02:59 PM   #11
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

markymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot materialmarkymark550 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
They did away with the 2 year limit, the old 5-8 rule, in 2004 or 2005.
Old 03-25-2013, 03:11 PM   #12
klempsux
So down with OPP

Male

CockyCash: 531
klempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot materialklempsux is USC mascot material

Quote:

... go
The team has been around for a decade now and its a fairly good mix of upper class men. These smaller teams winning more is actually the result of the blue blood teams not having elite guys for multiple seasons.
klempsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 03:19 PM   #13
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by markymark550 View Post
They did away with the 2 year limit, the old 5-8 rule, in 2004 or 2005.
Thanks, I wasn't sure.

This rule, if anything, would feed more quality players to mid major teams which would create more parody in College Basketball. If Calipari signed a 5 man class and they are stuck there for 2 or 3 years, thats 5 scholarships that he is going to eat and that he can't use the next 2 years so those players that would end up at UK end up at other bigger schools and the prospects that those schools would typically get now go to the next level below them and so on and so on.

I'm all for the rule, but it would create more FGCU teams.

Heck, USC would benefit greatly with this rule.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2013, 04:01 PM   #14
ShutTheSuccop
Go Cocks!

Male

CockyCash: 155567
ShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot materialShutTheSuccop is USC mascot material

Quote:

do you consider a sophomore an upperclassman?
ShutTheSuccop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:04 AM   #15
GapoGamecock51
I Put Threadz 2 Sleep

Male

CockyCash: 24873509
GapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot materialGapoGamecock51 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GapoGamecock51 Send a message via Yahoo to GapoGamecock51

Quote:

... go

They won their conference championship, they completed the four year eligibility requirement of the NCAA, other than cheating their way through the process or for wins/championships what reason is there to exclude them?

Gapo
Old 03-29-2013, 08:17 AM   #16
markymark550
Bowl MVP

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapoGamecock51 View Post
They won their conference championship, they completed the four year eligibility requirement of the NCAA, other than cheating their way through the process or for wins/championships what reason is there to exclude them?

Gapo
He's not saying that FGCU should be excluded from the tournament. He's saying that the talent level between FGCU and whoever they were playing should have been drastic enough to where FGCU couldn't win either of the games they played.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:22 AM   #17
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 17972586
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

I love teams like FGCU doing well.
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #18
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:

... go
This has been talked about by a lot of people. ESPN, yahoo, sportsnation, and radio guys are always saying this. I agree.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:26 AM   #19
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GapoGamecock51 View Post

Gapo

He never said they should be excluded. He's saying the 1-and-done rule is hurting big-time basketball programs, and smaller programs that never get the one-and-done guys are benefiting because their guys stay for 4 years, learning the system.

Instead, we should have all teams that benefit from guys staying at least 3 years. The sport of college basketball overall would benefit- because everyone would be playing their own system.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 08:39 AM   #20
HeadCockFan
...where the Pampers is.

Male

CockyCash: 202781
HeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot materialHeadCockFan is USC mascot material

Let the free market decide. No restrictions unless they are imposed by individual schools with agreements with their athletes. The NBA can only eat up so much talent.
HeadCockFan is offline   Reply With Quote