CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
USC_21
JerseyBird
JDJones
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
Cockypantherfan
SanAntonioCock
kingofnerf
aftertwobowls
Cockhornleghorn
2014 Charleston Clas (3066)
**USC Women vs. Clem (2447)
ESPN’s Marisa Martin (1975)
Sidney Rice is havin (1171)
10 years since " (1170)
Fan bias toward a sp (1119)
Family, Faith, and G (806)
Why the hesitance to (706)
Have a problem and h (650)
Hospitality Area? (187)
2014 Charleston Classic *
Dylan's post-game sidelin
RG3 - Struggles Not Getti
Getting Back on Track - C
Why the hesitance to put
BJ Mckie
Ref trying to help Florid
Up Next: Gildan Charlesto
USC women new #1?
2015 Commitment - Arden K

Old 03-27-2013, 07:42 AM   #1
BeatBamaTwice
Yes we can!!!

Male

CockyCash: 200537809048022286
BeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot materialBeatBamaTwice is USC mascot material
Default "USC's new linebackers catching on quickly"

The above link is to today's P&C which contains an article entitled "USC's new linebackers catching on quickly." It left me feeling a bit better about our new LB starters. Hope it does the same for you. I kept picturing true freshmen playing against the Heels and Dwags.

Go Doc! Go Cocks!
BeatBamaTwice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:08 AM   #2
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material
Default Re: "USC's new linbackers catching on quickly"

it'll be interesting to see how those battles turn out as far as the depth chart in the spring. rainey seems to handle the coverage well, but i want to see the other interior linebackers in zone coverage and how the unit as a whole stacks up against the run. love the article and listening to rainey after practice, it sounds like holloman exudes that same kind of confidence.
you have to respect holloman saying he likes playing mike better because of the responsibility and understanding the total defense.

if diggs and golightly can handle playing slot receivers one on one it gives us a lot of options. particularly against teams like missouri who are going to try and keep our defensive subs to a minimum.

nice article.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

CockyCash: 500
snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

i just don't have any worries about the lb corps. what these guys lack in experience, they more than make up for in athleticism. all of them are much more athletic than the group that just left. and while i know there is a lot to be said for real game experience, these guys were there learning from that group. holloman, lewis and rainey are all very smart guys, and with their speed and agility they will be great. and this unit will only benefit from the incoming youngsters as they might be even more athletic. and sooner or later ced cooper is going to be back. i have finally bought into botkin, and believe he will have this group playing very well from game one. there will be some bumps in the road, as you will always have this from young inexperienced players. but i think they will make up for those with the rest of their play.

Last edited by snoopcockycock; 03-27-2013 at 11:19 AM.
snoopcockycock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 10:07 AM   #4
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

I'm pumped about the potential of our defense this year and the LBs, although young, can still make a great impact. What worries me the most is we are kind of undersized. Starting a 179lb spur in the SEC is a little worrisome. I am confident though that these guys will get it done on the field and have a good year for the G&B!
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:56 AM   #5
JAYBEZ
1st Team All-SEC

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge: 2007 NCAA Bracket Challenge - Given for: 1st place Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff 
CockyCash: 117561006
JAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot materialJAYBEZ is USC mascot material
Default Re: "USC's new linebackers catching on quickly"

Solid article. Like the behind the scenes look.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:06 PM   #6
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

There's a sure fire way you can tell if a program has finally "gotten it".
When you lose SEVERAL good players / coach(s) and the following year
your team doesn't lose a lot of steam over the course of a season, and
in some cases, continues to move forward. .... Gents, I think our team
has Gotten It !

Two seasons ago, we lost Coach Johnson (as a DC and LB coach),
Coach Ward (as a DB coach), and we lost 5 starters on defense and
two of those were first round draft picks. ..... We won 11 games with
all those changes and came within a couple of points of going to Atlanta
as the Eastern Conf. Champs.

Off of last year's team we just lost Coach Lawing, and SEVEN of the 11
starters on Defense including two of the starting three LBs and two
backups. As well as our starting Spur.
We have potentially 4 starters with this years defense out with injuries
this spring, and we are still looking like we are going to be more than
able to at least play with the same degree of intensity as we did last
season. I give full credit with our staff for their recruiting over the past
2-3 seasons, and more so, the development of those players starting
with the St/Cond coaches. Also, for their evaluation of new coaches
to replace coaches that we think are irreplaceable. I'm very excited
about the future of this program. When you can lose that many good
players, and a coach like coach Lawing, and your team is suddenly
young again, but still looking very impressive on the practice fields,
that tells me this team is at a point of not rebuilding, but reloading like
good strong programs do. Continuous improvement is the sign of a strong
program, and not just the making of a good season.
Old 03-27-2013, 02:23 PM   #7
Emery
Bowl MVP

Male

Emery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot materialEmery is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
There's a sure fire way you can tell if a program has finally "gotten it".
When you lose SEVERAL good players / coach(s) and the following year
your team doesn't lose a lot of steam over the course of a season, and
in some cases, continues to move forward. .... Gents, I think our team
has Gotten It !

Two seasons ago, we lost Coach Johnson (as a DC and LB coach),
Coach Ward (as a DB coach), and we lost 5 starters on defense and
two of those were first round draft picks. ..... We won 11 games with
all those changes and came within a couple of points of going to Atlanta
as the Eastern Conf. Champs.

Off of last year's team we just lost Coach Lawing, and SEVEN of the 11
starters on Defense including two of the starting three LBs and two
backups. As well as our starting Spur.
We have potentially 4 starters with this years defense out with injuries
this spring, and we are still looking like we are going to be more than
able to at least play with the same degree of intensity as we did last
season. I give full credit with our staff for their recruiting over the past
2-3 seasons, and more so, the development of those players starting
with the St/Cond coaches. Also, for their evaluation of new coaches
to replace coaches that we think are irreplaceable. I'm very excited
about the future of this program. When you can lose that many good
players, and a coach like coach Lawing, and your team is suddenly
young again, but still looking very impressive on the practice fields,
that tells me this team is at a point of not rebuilding, but reloading like
good strong programs do. Continuous improvement is the sign of a strong
program, and not just the making of a good season.
I hope you're right but a seems a little premature until we actually see a game performance.
Emery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:14 PM   #8
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

If Diggs and/or Golightly can manage the Spur position close to how Allen did, then we'll be just fine there. Antonio was always a bit small, but he had 158 tackles, 20 TFL and 4 INTs his final 2 seasons there, and was IMO just as impactful a defensive player as any we had in his time...
ConwayGamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 07:51 PM   #9
MWard
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 94340
MWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot materialMWard is USC mascot material

I like what I keep reading about Rainey. He has good measures for a LB. Hopefully he can see the field this year if not start.

-Abo Swinney, April 23, 2014

http://espn.go.com/blog/ncfnation/po...steve-spurrier
MWard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 08:44 PM   #10
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

i don't think it is premature at all. he has watched the spring and preseason camps more intently than most, and has a excellent grasp on what they looked like then, and how they played during the season.
with all the talent on this team over the last few years, and right now, we finally have something going for us this year, that we have lacked for many years, a very talented, deep and experienced ol. add to that two excellent qb's, a multiple threat running game, instead of depending on just one player, and a melting pot of wr's and we are looking very strong for next season. this is going to be a team that nobody wants to play this season.
having a lightning quick golightly at 180 (probably gain weight this summer), and an extremely quick diggs right at 200, i think the spur position is in great shape. they can interchange these guys depending on the situation. also, having our lb's so much faster and quicker than before, in my opinion, is better than the heavier guys. these guys can get to the spot faster, and make the plays. while i loved our lb's last season, i hated seeing rb's just out run them to the corner. i really like the direction we are heading.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #11
NJGCfan
5* Recruit

Male

NJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talonsNJGCfan has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopcockycock View Post
i don't think it is premature at all. he has watched the spring and preseason camps more intently than most, and has a excellent grasp on what they looked like then, and how they played during the season.
with all the talent on this team over the last few years, and right now, we finally have something going for us this year, that we have lacked for many years, a very talented, deep and experienced ol. add to that two excellent qb's, a multiple threat running game, instead of depending on just one player, and a melting pot of wr's and we are looking very strong for next season. this is going to be a team that nobody wants to play this season.
having a lightning quick golightly at 180 (probably gain weight this summer), and an extremely quick diggs right at 200, i think the spur position is in great shape. they can interchange these guys depending on the situation. also, having our lb's so much faster and quicker than before, in my opinion, is better than the heavier guys. these guys can get to the spot faster, and make the plays. while i loved our lb's last season, i hated seeing rb's just out run them to the corner. i really like the direction we are heading.
I agree, the more athletic linebackers are the guys I prefer as well. Our offensive line is deep and our wide receivers are inexperienced, but vastly talented. Our DB's looked inexperienced last year but a year of seasoning will really help out with the consistency back there. Obviously our D-line will be ridiculous. If the secondary shows growth from last year, the wide receivers play to their talent, and the linebackers not make too many rookie mistakes, than this could quite possibly be the best gamecock team ever
Old 03-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #12
Flameout12
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emery View Post
I hope you're right but a seems a little premature until we actually see a game performance.
And see how they do stopping UGA's running game (I am concerned that UGA will line up in the I and ram it like LSU did last year instead of their spread thing which we ate up).
The bigger question that goes beyond practice is do they have the mental toughness to play hard and smart for 4 qtrs in front of a huge crowd and TV coverage? Gotta see 'em play....
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:46 PM   #13
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

i agree, like always, uga will be the litmus test. but i truly believe this dline will be better than last year, and that will let the lb's make more plays. also, from what spurticus has been reporting, the growth of our secondary is going to be very noticeable this season. we have a lot of talent in that unit, and now a lot of numbers as well, at least in the fall we will have. i think this defense will be better than last years; faster and more athletic. by week two of this upcoming season, murray is going to wish he had opted to head to the league.
Old 03-27-2013, 09:50 PM   #14
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConwayGamecock View Post
If Diggs and/or Golightly can manage the Spur position close to how Allen did, then we'll be just fine there. Antonio was always a bit small, but he had 158 tackles, 20 TFL and 4 INTs his final 2 seasons there, and was IMO just as impactful a defensive player as any we had in his time...
Neither of these guys is anywhere close to where AA was. Not saying they can't get there, but not there yet.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #15
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

I've read everything about all the practices so far concerning the LB.....and there has been a lot of positives to be sure....but the truth is, a lot of that doesn't matter until we see the full contact scrimmages, starting tomorrow.
b381l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:27 AM   #16
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

Two words to focus on: Rookie Mistakes.

Last edited by uscsandstorm85; 03-28-2013 at 12:39 AM.
uscsandstorm85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:46 AM   #17
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Quote:
i agree, like always, uga will be the litmus test. but i truly believe this dline will be better than last year, and that will let the lb's make more plays.
I don't think this will be the case. We are losing Taylor and Jerideau. They will be replaced, but not instantly. Last year, our LB's did make most of the tackles, as they should. Wilson, Swearinger, Bowens, and Holloman were our top 4 tacklers. When you look at how many teams threw quick, short routes to avoid the pass rush, and we ranked 13 in total defense and 5th in sacks with a tough schedule, I don't think the DL next year will be up to this year's overall performance - especially early in the season. I do expect our offense to be better this season to the point that it will be an even better asset to overall defensive numbers. Although I think we will have the weapons to sore quickly, I also think we will be able to keep the ball better than last year, and give the defense less weight on their shoulders. Our RB situation, OL development, and hopefully 2 healthy, productive quarterbacks could give us a strong ball-control option and a more rested defense.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:51 AM   #18
ReadR00ster
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1220
ReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot materialReadR00ster is USC mascot material

I see the new LBs as a chance to improve in an area we have not been all that great in. I think we have a good bunch of young hungry guys ready to be team leaders. I am cautiously optimistic.
ReadR00ster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:53 AM   #19
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

i really want to see how larenz does this fall......he just looks like an absolute stud.
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 07:12 AM   #20
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by uscsandstorm85 View Post
Two words to focus on: Rookie Mistakes.
A dominant pass rush will help negate some of those.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote