CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Captain9Dragons
b381l
sporkgod50
RGHoskins
GoldenSpur7
ccured
Thenardier
robgusc76
Gyle41386
ucan'tlickourcocks
Mangus now coaching (1916)
Can Tennessee get to (1300)
ESPN Article on HBC (1074)
Connor Shaw: Atlanta (863)
Spread vs. aTm (808)
2 Crazy things (805)
Lindy's top 100 for (763)
Chick Redefines the (742)
Worse Hire Brad Scot (637)
The Bama series (523)
Name a Gamecock
Lindy's top 100 for 2010
2014 NBA PLAYOFFS!!!!!
Get it while it's hot
2 Crazy things
Playstation 4
Dylan Moses: The first fr
Chicago ND fan/SEC book i
ESPN Article on HBC on on
Alabama @ South Carolina

Old 03-28-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly
Default Kirk Botkin

Quote:
Rainey said he's been getting a lot more reps at linebacker than he did last year at tight end, but he really hasn't received much feedback from linebackers coach Kirk Botkin on how he's looked. Rainey said he's still in the learning process, so he isn't bothered by the lack of communication with his coach, but he expects his play to garner a little more attention soon.
http://espn.go.com/blog/sec/post/_/i...-to-linebacker

This is odd
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 AM   #2
lchite4
4-Star

Male

lchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comb
Default Re: Kirk Botkin

Yep. Saw this yesterday. This had better be an error on the reporter's side or a misunderstanding. If not, no excuse.
lchite4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:33 AM   #3
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

oh, man. here come the chicken-littles out in full force! i mean, its not like Botkin isn't coaching an entire group of linebackers who have little-to-no game experience.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:39 AM   #4
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
oh, man. here come the chicken-littles out in full force! i mean, its not like Botkin isn't coaching an entire group of linebackers who have little-to-no game experience.
Not to mention it's literally their first few practices together
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 09:47 AM   #5
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

If this were late summer or fall, it may be important. As of now, Spring practice will give Coach Botkin plenty of film and notes to help the young man improve, as well as the entire unit he's in charge of. There are limits to what you can do in the Spring, the amount of hours you can spend with players, right? I'm sure there are different schools of thought but maybe he is a guy that likes to see where everyone is, then tailor what they need to work on for off-season workouts/film study/etc. culminating in more personal attention in the fall.

Bottom line, Rainey is getting more work now than he did before and I'm sure if you ask any player out there the amount of 1 on 1 time they receive with any particular coach is not abundant right now. Just my thought.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:18 AM   #6
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

Don't look at it as an indictment on the coach but rather a compliment to the way Rainey has caught on at the LB position. Because he has apparently looked good in practice, Botkin has decided that his limited amount of time would be better spent helping players that seemed more in need of guidance.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:23 AM   #7
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

I'd speculate that he's gotten some feedback from his coach after this article was posted...and it may be related to what you say and not how you play.
Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:27 AM   #8
bmccall
legally alarmed

Male

CockyCash: 26001179
bmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot materialbmccall is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
Don't look at it as an indictment on the coach but rather a compliment to the way Rainey has caught on at the LB position. Because he has apparently looked good in practice, Botkin has decided that his limited amount of time would be better spent helping players that seemed more in need of guidance.
This
bmccall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:31 AM   #9
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Clearly Botkin should be terminated IMMEDIATELY or we will go 0-12.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
qcgamecock
Bowl MVP

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

We are talking about Practice, practice lol I was at the practice Friday and Coach Botkin coached the LB's as a unit and was very vocal, coaches have to look at film of a player going full speed to give real feedback, they have practiced 6 times?
qcgamecock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:00 AM   #11
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 58943
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

It's only because every time Rainey takes the field in practice, he leaves his position coach speechless....
Old 03-28-2013, 11:13 AM   #12
SpurProsecutor
Downhill Runner

Male

SpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spursSpurProsecutor has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cock Kool-Aid View Post
Post of the day! Great stuff!
SpurProsecutor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:29 AM   #13
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
At least take him down Main St and give him the ole tar and feather.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #14
CockyInGA
Winning Anyway.

Male

CockyCash: 290
CockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPitCockyInGA rules the CockPit

Coach Botkin hates us.
CockyInGA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:02 PM   #15
JDRAY^#
Game MVP

Male

JDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot materialJDRAY^# is USC mascot material

Botkin cant really give Rainey any feedback as of now. Today will be the first full contact scrimmage and will be the first test that Botkin will be able to give Rainey some real feedback. I'm sure Botkin has not given any LBs much feedback because they have yet to perform under the lights in live game situations.
JDRAY^# is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:06 PM   #16
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

watch the video that the story is based on at gamecocksonline. 2 minute after practice interview. i think what rainey was saying is he has gotten a bunch of positive feedback because there are still the little things he has to work on since he only has a few practices at the position.

thats probably by design from botkin. at this point its just about getting better and it starts with the little things. then itll progress to what you have to work on and continue to do to get playing time or a starting job. just my guess, but i think that will come when all the backers get more acclimated to their positions. we havent even seen them in a scrimmage yet.
crowcutta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 12:11 PM   #17
lchite4
4-Star

Male

lchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comblchite4 is developing his comb

Didn't mean to come off as sounding over-critical as many of you have obviously taken my comment. It just came off as very strange that Rainey would say he has had little to no feedback. Not hating on Botkin, as I haven't said anything about him as a hire to this point.
Old 03-28-2013, 12:14 PM   #18
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by crowcutta View Post
watch the video that the story is based on at gamecocksonline. 2 minute after practice interview. i think what rainey was saying is he has gotten a bunch of positive feedback because there are still the little things he has to work on since he only has a few practices at the position.

thats probably by design from botkin. at this point its just about getting better and it starts with the little things. then itll progress to what you have to work on and continue to do to get playing time or a starting job. just my guess, but i think that will come when all the backers get more acclimated to their positions. we havent even seen them in a scrimmage yet.
Botkin your cousin or something?

His behavior is inexcusable.
Old 03-28-2013, 01:25 PM   #19
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Botkin your cousin or something?

His behavior is inexcusable.
Inexcusable? That's a pretty big jump? There is only so much coaches can do in Spring Practice, Rainey is not the only one that needs coaching. We know way too little about this to say something like that.

Edit: I will fully admit is sounds strange, but I think part of that is that we as fans have been worried about the Linebacker position more than the coaches have. I believe they know they will have a solid 2 deep with some true freshmen backing them up, plus a few hybrids to mix in if necessary. In the grand scheme of things, there is only so much a player can do in the spring anyway, are they even allowed to wear pads? I don't think so, and Rainey has obviously been doing pretty well. I just think its not as big a deal as it may seem, it may sound a lot different if we knew the actual question he was asked to get that response.

Last edited by trapper82; 03-28-2013 at 01:41 PM.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 01:45 PM   #20
lchite4
4-Star

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Inexcusable? That's a pretty big jump? There is only so much coaches can do in Spring Practice, Rainey is not the only one that needs coaching. We know way too little about this to say something like that.

Edit: I will fully admit is sounds strange, but I think part of that is that we as fans have been worried about the Linebacker position more than the coaches have. I believe they know they will have a solid 2 deep with some true freshmen backing them up, plus a few hybrids to mix in if necessary. In the grand scheme of things, there is only so much a player can do in the spring anyway, are they even allowed to wear pads? I don't think so, and Rainey has obviously been doing pretty well. I just think its not as big a deal as it may seem, it may sound a lot different if we knew the actual question he was asked to get that response.
he was being sarcastic...