CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Proving Ground

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
sanford
MWard
U-Dub Gamecock
Regalcock
Cockypantherfan
75CarolinaFan
gamecockgal
GarnetSwarm1990
TAFC 5 1981
ReadR00ster
Sidney Rice Retiring (998)
A good friend of min (522)
Dan Patrick Show - P (477)
ESPN Insider (384)
Pictures of older Co (316)
A Clowney Spotting? (259)
Places to eat in Con (200)
Bonefish Grill (159)
Tenn vs WVU in Charl (143)
This Song is the F'i (121)
Texags
2015 - Christian Pellage
2015 - Johnny Frasier
Georgia Defensive returni
Curt Britt Transferring
SOS Dominating SEC Media
Stephen Garcia AMA on Red
Holy Hell, Indeed, SEC Ne
Asheville/Spartanburg eat
Bonefish Grill

Closed Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM   #1
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material
Exclamation First Impression

Some things I want to point out and comment on now that Rivals has officially released not only their 250 but also their first cut of position rankings as it relates to USC.

For those that don't know, the offer threads stickied at the top of the forum, consist of players that have been marked with a USC offer by Rivals, Scout, ESPN, and 247 along with other media outlets such as Phil Kornblut. Every one of those services have a different count of who has offers so I just group them all together, right or wrong. There are also some cases where one of those sites report an offer but haven't updated their databases.

By my count, USC has offered 52 players on the offensive side of the ball, 74 players on the defensive side, and 17 athletes for a total of 143 offers at the end of March.

The breakdown for each offensive position:

QB - 1
RB (includes FB) - 13
WR - 21
TE - 4
OL - 13

There are questionable offers to Christian Taylor, Tyler Jones, Vernard Roberts, and Krenwick Sanders that have been listed but I have not been able to confirm.

Disclaimer: Joe Blue - who USC has tabbed as a FB, is listed as a LB on Rivals.

The breakdown for each defensive position:

DL - 25
LB - 19
CB - 25
S - 5

There are questionable offers to Jalyn Holmes, Vance Roberts, and Edward Paris that I have no been able to confirm.

Disclaimer: There are some prospects listed as Cornerbacks that USC likes as Safeties.

So, of the 143 offers .. 36% are on offense, 52% are on defense, 12% athletes.

USC has offered 77 prospects in the Rivals 250 (31%) ; 32 on offense (42%) ; 45 on defense (58%)

USC's offers by stars:

5 stars (6%) - 8 (1 RB, 3 DL, 3 CB, 1 ATH)
4 stars (56%) - 80 (1 QB, 7 RB, 16 WR, 4 TE, 9 OL, 13 DL, 12 LB, 10 DB, 8 ATH)
3 stars (34%) - 49 (3 RB, 1 FB, 5 WR, 4 OL, 9 DL, 5 LB, 16 DB, 6 ATH)
2/1/NR (4%) - 6 (1 RB, 2 LB, 1 DB, 2 ATH)

USC's offers by state

FL (27%) - 39
GA (24%) - 34
SC (8%) - 12
NC (8%) - 11
AL (6%) - 8
TX (6%) - 8
NJ (3%) - 5
TN (3%) - 5
VA (3%) - 4
PA (2%) - 3
MD (2%) - 3
CA (1%) - 2
IA (1%) - 2
KS (1%) - 2
KY (1%) - 1
OH (1%) - 1
DE (1%) - 1
OK (1%) - 1
LA (1%) - 1

Observations:

1) Judging from offer to state distribution, it seems like USC is hitting the state of Georgia hard again this year but is also putting a strong emphasis on the state of Florida. USC didn't do too much in Florida last year but it seems like they are going to hammer it again like they use to. I think a lot of that has to do with Grady Brown being settled in after Year 1. Interesting that there are not more offers out in NC and suprising that they are more active in Tennesee and Texas. More specifically Tennessee, but this is a product of that state having one of its best in state classes in YEARS. Still looks like a pretty down year in state. Although the quality of top talent is up, it seems as the quantity is still down. I'd look for more offers to go out in Mangus' territories this Summer. And don't look now, but USC is also starting to send more offers out in Alabama.

2) If you want to get a rough idea of what USC thinks its needs are this year, look no further than the amount of offers sent out to Cornerbacks. I think its safe to say that a cover corner (or two) is on the docket this class. USC is also heavy on receiver and defensive line. Also surprisingly, Linebacker. With such a small class, at the moment, I think its reasonable to say they will take more at WR/DL/LB than many expect given the amount of offers out right now. I've been saying for a while to look for USC to take 3 receivers and I still believe that to be the case.

3) Chris Clark @ GamecockCentral made a good point a few weeks ago, but this could end up being a slow developing class for USC. I expect I'll have to do some heavy moderation when Clemson and Georgia go on their pre-Summer tear but I'm not sure if USC will follow the trend of having a big Summer. They are really going after some talented kids and typically those lead to later decision dates. With such a small class, USC has to be extremely picky. I know it seems we say this every year but it holds true this year as USC doesn't have a lot of wiggle room with numbers. It'll be discouraging for the fanbase during the Summer dead period, but I don't think USC will have more than 6-8 commitments by the start of the season and they'll slowly fill in the rest of the class as the season goes on and into January.

Anyway, I've never made a post like this before so I hope everyone enjoyed it, and it produces some good discussion.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 03-28-2013, 04:28 PM   #2
Sugedatdude
Cocky Que

Male

CockyCash: 500
Sugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spursSugedatdude has earned his spurs
Default Re: First Impression

Like how you broke the offer distribution down by state...can't go wrong with offering higher percentages in the states of FlA, and GA.
Old 03-28-2013, 04:30 PM   #3
smoovecock
The Gamecock Pimps Daddy

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Homecoming King 
CockyCash: 200
smoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot materialsmoovecock is USC mascot material

If there was any money to be made in recruiting analyst I would back C@..
Old 03-28-2013, 04:31 PM   #4
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Thanks for the info.

Any of these guys JUCO?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:33 PM   #5
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mt. Lattimore View Post
Thanks for the info.

Any of these guys JUCO?
According to 247, USC has offered the Roberts brothers. Both played at West Virginia but transferred to a JUCO in Iowa. Whether those offers are legit or not, I am not sure.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 03-28-2013, 04:35 PM   #6
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

I also didn't include Kendal Vickers because more than likely his offer/commitment will be predicated on whether he can qualify for next Spring.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 03-28-2013, 04:38 PM   #7
Mt. Lattimore
At the Top

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
According to 247, USC has offered the Roberts brothers. Both played at West Virginia but transferred to a JUCO in Iowa. Whether those offers are legit or not, I am not sure.
Does someone like Joe Harris fit in this list?
Old 03-28-2013, 04:40 PM   #8
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

Joe Harris, Jhaustin Thomas, and Carlos Hood aren't listed in those databases as offers yet so they are not included. And it sounds like, from reading various insider reports since NSD that those 3 are all up in the air as far as whether they end up at USC. Kind of in the same boat as Vickers but its been reported that USC plans to resign Vickers if he qualifies out of FUMA. I haven't seen anything concrete about the previous 3 except its wait and see.

Drink Cocktane!

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Nice write up C2. Appreciated.
Old 03-28-2013, 06:08 PM   #10
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

You put a lot of work into that. Thanks!

#ModForMod
Old 03-28-2013, 06:44 PM   #11
qcgamecock
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 200
qcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot materialqcgamecock is USC mascot material

Impresive C2, thank you for the insight!
Old 03-28-2013, 08:17 PM   #12
CockOla
Game MVP

Male

CockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudlyCockOla is crowing loudly

Quote:
Some things I want to point out and comment on now that Rivals has officially released not only their 250 but also their first cut of position rankings as it relates to USC...

Anyway, I've never made a post like this before so I hope everyone enjoyed it, and it produces some good discussion.

Excellent and very informational post. Thanks a mil C2.
Old 03-28-2013, 08:42 PM   #13
Cock Kool-Aid
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Cock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot materialCock Kool-Aid is USC mascot material

I usually don't care for you, C2, but this write up was pretty OK...
Old 03-28-2013, 08:50 PM   #14
cockymac
I was the white shadow.

Male

CockyCash: 300500
cockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot materialcockymac is USC mascot material

Thanks C2. Appreciate all your time giving us the free info and insight.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:09 PM   #15
rileytm
4-Star

Male

rileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his clawsrileytm is sharpening his claws

One thing I am surprised about so far in this class is that we do not have more commitments by now. Typically we always start slow. In the past couple of years, teams like Clemson, Georgia, Alabama, Florida, etc. all have 5 or more commitments at this point, and we have 1 or 2 so it is not unusual.

I had predicted last year that we would have a big (in terms of quality) class this year, and it would fill out quicker than normal because we had so many guys in the fold by mid summer last year. That allowed the staff, and current commits for 2012 to recruit the '13 guys for longer, rather than still trying to build the current class.

If you think about it, normally for a big recruiting game weekend, we bring in 40 or so guys, with probably 30 or more of them uncommitted prospects, and they all talk about Carolina, but also other schools. This year, we had around 20 commits at every big game, along with a large number of '13 guys, so our '12 commits could recruit them instead of everyone just talking about other places and such.

As is the case every year, QB is the first domino to fall that, so if/when Drew Barker commits, we should start to see the rest of the heavy leans fall into place at that time too. Guys like a Poona Ford, Dexter Wideman, (maybe) BAW, one of the TE's should start to shut it down in late spring, early summer and then start talking up Carolina to the other guys and forming bonds with them at the summer camps, spring game, etc.

I still think this will be a very good class for Carolina, just somewhat surprised there arent more in the fold by now, given our great work last year, but hopefully soon it will start to happen.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:18 PM   #16
ConwayGamecock
The Classic Double-Take

Male

CockyCash: 71443
ConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot materialConwayGamecock is USC mascot material

6-8 commits by the season used to be a good start in the old days, before all the early commitment practices in recent years....
Old 03-28-2013, 09:21 PM   #17
GH
Moonocababa

Male

CockyCash: 28000
GH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot materialGH is USC mascot material

Quote:
Some things I want to point out and comment on now that Rivals has officially released not only their 250 but also their first cut of position rankings as it relates to USC.

For those that don't know, the offer threads stickied at the top of the forum, consist of players that have been marked with a USC offer by Rivals, Scout, ESPN, and 247 along with other media outlets such as Phil Kornblut. Every one of those services have a different count of who has offers so I just group them all together, right or wrong. There are also some cases where one of those sites report an offer but haven't updated their databases.

By my count, USC has offered 52 players on the offensive side of the ball, 74 players on the defensive side, and 17 athletes for a total of 143 offers at the end of March.

QB - 1
RB (includes FB) - 13
WR - 21
TE - 4
OL - 13

There are questionable offers to Christian Taylor, Tyler Jones, Vernard Roberts, and Krenwick Sanders that have been listed but I have not been able to confirm.

DL - 25
LB - 19
CB - 25
S - 5

There are questionable offers to Jalyn Holmes, Vance Roberts, and Edward Paris that I have no been able to confirm.

Disclaimer: There are some prospects listed as Cornerbacks that USC likes as Safeties.

USC has offered 77 prospects in the Rivals 250 (31%) ; 32 on offense (42%) ; 45 on defense (58%)

USC's offers by stars:

USC's offers by state

FL (27%) - 39
GA (24%) - 34
SC (8%) - 12
NC (8%) - 11
AL (6%) - 8
TX (6%) - 8
NJ (3%) - 5
TN (3%) - 5
VA (3%) - 4
PA (2%) - 3
MD (2%) - 3
CA (1%) - 2
IA (1%) - 2
KS (1%) - 2
KY (1%) - 1
OH (1%) - 1
DE (1%) - 1
OK (1%) - 1
LA (1%) - 1

Observations:

1) Judging from offer to state distribution, it seems like USC is hitting the state of Georgia hard again this year but is also putting a strong emphasis on the state of Florida. USC didn't do too much in Florida last year but it seems like they are going to hammer it again like they use to. I think a lot of that has to do with Grady Brown being settled in after Year 1. Interesting that there are not more offers out in NC and suprising that they are more active in Tennesee and Texas. More specifically Tennessee, but this is a product of that state having one of its best in state classes in YEARS. Still looks like a pretty down year in state. Although the quality of top talent is up, it seems as the quantity is still down. I'd look for more offers to go out in Mangus' territories this Summer. And don't look now, but USC is also starting to send more offers out in Alabama.

2) If you want to get a rough idea of what USC thinks its needs are this year, look no further than the amount of offers sent out to Cornerbacks. I think its safe to say that a cover corner (or two) is on the docket this class. USC is also heavy on receiver and defensive line. Also surprisingly, Linebacker. With such a small class, at the moment, I think its reasonable to say they will take more at WR/DL/LB than many expect given the amount of offers out right now. I've been saying for a while to look for USC to take 3 receivers and I still believe that to be the case.

3) Chris Clark @ GamecockCentral made a good point a few weeks ago, but this could end up being a slow developing class for USC. I expect I'll have to do some heavy moderation when Clemson and Georgia go on their pre-Summer tear but I'm not sure if USC will follow the trend of having a big Summer. They are really going after some talented kids and typically those lead to later decision dates. With such a small class, USC has to be extremely picky. I know it seems we say this every year but it holds true this year as USC doesn't have a lot of wiggle room with numbers. It'll be discouraging for the fanbase during the Summer dead period, but I don't think USC will have more than 6-8 commitments by the start of the season and they'll slowly fill in the rest of the class as the season goes on and into January.

CoverTwo came in and did his damn job!

I think I remember reading somewhere that Florida has more Major recruits per high school football players than even Texas or Cali this year so I am glad we are digging deep in that state.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:31 PM   #18
Garnet girl
1st Team All-SEC

Female

CockyCash: 500500
Garnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot materialGarnet girl is USC mascot material

Quote:
Joe Harris, Jhaustin Thomas, and Carlos Hood aren't listed in those databases as offers yet so they are not included. And it sounds like, from reading various insider reports since NSD that those 3 are all up in the air as far as whether they end up at USC. Kind of in the same boat as Vickers but its been reported that USC plans to resign Vickers if he qualifies out of FUMA. I haven't seen anything concrete about the previous 3 except its wait and see.
Thank you, C2.
Old 03-28-2013, 11:35 PM   #19
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

C2, other than the 5* guys, how many of these would they take right now......best guess. I know that number has to be fairly small. That's why there will be so few commitments by the end of summer. The good news.....not taking a good player's commit now, means they think they have a good shot at some really high quality players that are better. I assume the reason they haven't taken Pringle's commit is because he isn't one of their top 3 that they feel pretty good about. Even though this class is going to be really small, it could be one of the best ever with respect to quality.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:55 AM   #20
Jdallen20
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 744
Jdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spursJdallen20 has earned his spurs

Quote:

QB - 1
RB (includes FB) - 13
WR - 21
TE - 4
OL - 13

DL - 25
LB - 19
CB - 25
S - 5

USC's offers by stars:

USC's offers by state

FL (27%) - 39
GA (24%) - 34
SC (8%) - 12
NC (8%) - 11
AL (6%) - 8
TX (6%) - 8
NJ (3%) - 5
TN (3%) - 5
VA (3%) - 4
PA (2%) - 3
MD (2%) - 3
CA (1%) - 2
IA (1%) - 2
KS (1%) - 2
KY (1%) - 1
OH (1%) - 1
DE (1%) - 1
OK (1%) - 1
LA (1%) - 1

Observations:

Good post here. Numbers don't lie. Well done.

Let me know if I am following what you're saying there at the end: Our class will not look very impressive until late and our competitors' classes are going to be looking alot better than ours until it's all said and done.

GET DOWN WITH THE CLOWN
Closed Thread