CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
eaglegolf018
Coulwoodwarlord
ReadR00ster
HelleraisingCock
MWard
SAETerrier
Acockolypse Now
CoverTwo
ertman420
sc455
Larenz Bryant update (2002)
Victor Hampton Arres (1202)
Joeckel Transfering (1178)
2016 - Greg Little (816)
UK's Whitlow to tran (736)
What type of snake i (667)
response from charte (606)
Wu Tang affiliated r (517)
Attendance next seas (301)
how has more ESPN an (223)
2015 Warm/Warmer/Favorite
Joeckel Transfering from
how has more ESPN anounce
Gamecock Legacy recruits/
Victor Hampton Arrested
2014 Atlanta Braves Seaso
A'ja Wilson
Larenz Bryant update?
2016 - Greg Little
**USC vs. The Citadel GAM

Old 03-29-2013, 09:49 AM   #1
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 500
trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material
Default What if the Oline does not improve...

First of all, I understand the desire for optimism and I am generally a very positive person. I also know its the Spring and we have a lot of time to see how this unit, with at least 2-3 new faces with various levels of playing time will come together. I hope for the best.

However, what if it doesn't work this year? Many of this board's most frequent posters have said that they expect to see a noticeable improvement in the Oline's performance this year, and if there was not an improvement, the only person to look to would be coach Elliott. Coach Elliott is a great recruiter and by many accounts an accomplished play caller, also introducing the Zone Read to the offense if I'm not mistaken. We certainly don't want to lose him, would it be the likely course to hire a guy that only focuses on the Offensive Line, allowing Elliott to continue being the Run Game Coordinator, Cooffensive Coordinator, Recruiter, etc?
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:55 AM   #2
Mt. Lattimore
Banned

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly
Default Re: What if the Oline does not improve...

Cart before the horse here...
Mt. Lattimore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:58 AM   #3
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

What if a meteorite falls on my house a year from now?
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:59 AM   #4
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Reading the first paragraph must be out of style...
Old 03-29-2013, 10:00 AM   #5
JDStud6
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 475
JDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudlyJDStud6 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
What if a meteorite falls on my house a year from now?
The first thing I did was check your location.....so I'm safe. WOO HOO

JD
JDStud6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:04 AM   #6
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDStud6 View Post
The first thing I did was check your location.....so I'm safe. WOO HOO

JD

haha well played

but anyways- my point was, why worry about what may or may not happen in the fall? as spectators, we should just spectate.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:06 AM   #7
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

It is the young reserves that are struggling right now. The starters are going to be fine.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:10 AM   #8
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
haha well played

but anyways- my point was, why worry about what may or may not happen in the fall? as spectators, we should just spectate.
Not sure how this is all that different from following the practices or offseason workouts or recruiting. Everyone likes Coach Elliott, everyone believes he is a hard worker and recruits well. But the Oline is a critical unit to success. We have the size and talent, what are the expectations?
Old 03-29-2013, 10:11 AM   #9
Mt. Lattimore
Banned

Male

Mt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudlyMt. Lattimore is crowing loudly

BTW, the latest NOVA on the meteor that hit Russia in February is great.

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/nova/earth/meteor-strike.html
Old 03-29-2013, 10:15 AM   #10
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by trapper82 View Post
Not sure how this is all that different from following the practices or offseason workouts or recruiting. Everyone likes Coach Elliott, everyone believes he is a hard worker and recruits well. But the Oline is a critical unit to success. We have the size and talent, what are the expectations?
Sure, we follow reports from practice...but I don't see how that is anywhere similar to asking "what if the oline doesnt improve"

I'm not sure of the end game. What are you expecting?

I guess someone could say "well, then we fire Elliot"

But aside from that one possibility...what other options are there that you're looking for?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and sorry if it comes across that way, I'm just confused about what you're looking for.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:19 AM   #11
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervousbhs04 is making other chickens nervous

This is the year that Elliott proves himself.

The talent is there, the depth is there, and the familiarity with system is there. If the line isnt good this year, I think it is a very fair observation that is the coaching.

I don't think that will happen though. I think this is the year we all get to stop panicking about the o-line for once.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:21 AM   #12
Mt. Lattimore
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhs04 View Post
depth is there
Not really at tackle
Old 03-29-2013, 10:23 AM   #13
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

Quote:
Sure, we follow reports from practice...but I don't see how that is anywhere similar to asking "what if the oline doesnt improve"

I'm not sure of the end game. What are you expecting?

I guess someone could say "well, then we fire Elliot"

But aside from that one possibility...what other options are there that you're looking for?

I'm not trying to be a jerk, and sorry if it comes across that way, I'm just confused about what you're looking for.
I don't think you are being a jerk. I have just seen many people say they expect an improvement out of that group this year, just wondering what kind of improvement they expect and what they suggest if they don't see it.

I listed another option that I would find preferable, just wondering if anyone else had some alternative ideas. My suggestion was bring in a coach for Oline work only, promoting Elliott to some equivalent of what Ellis Johnson was when he was here, only from an offensive standpoint. There are some who have already said "Fire Elliott" so I agree that would be some people's solution. I would not agree.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:27 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

IF
The O/line does not improve, then we find ways to win in other areas
like we have done the past three / four seasons. Ugly football, but
winning ugly beats losing "fashionably". We've found ways to win against
teams when our O/Line has gotten pounded by D/lines through three
different O/Line coaches. Our O/Line was dominated in the Outback
Bowl by Michigan's D/line, but we hit big plays when we needed them,
and our special teams picked up the slack as well. Our linebackers and
secondary kept the Wolverines in check just enough to give the offense
and special teams time to make those big plays and it all came together
at the end. ..... We survived the past few seasons without stellar
O/Line play.

IF
the O/line struggles again, we do what me have to do to win. ..That simple.
Old 03-29-2013, 10:59 AM   #15
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Put it this way .. Florida, Alabama, and the Pittsburgh Steelers don't come after you if you can't coach worth a lick. He is still working with a relatively young group of players right now. Offensive Linemen, generally, start progressing upward in their 3rd year in the system.

Look what he is working with right now:

Starters:

Robinson - 4th year
Cann - 4th year
Waldrop - 2nd year
Patrick - 4th year
Shell - 3rd year

Reserves:

B. Stadnik - 2nd year
C. Stadnik - 2nd year
M. Zandi - 2nd year
W. Sport - 3rd year
D. Park - 1st year

Injured:

C. Gibson - 4th year
M. Matulis - 3rd year

Remaining Incoming class:

N. Rodgers - 1st year
A. Knott - 1st year
J . Vonashek - 1st year
B. King - 1st year

Of the 16 linemen .. 9 (56%) are in their 1st and 2nd years, 3 (19%) are in their 3rd years, 4 (25%) are in their 4th years.

He is still working with young players. Now, his starters are experienced outside of Waldrop who will have to grow up in a hurry but he has enough on the front line to win games. Its those young backups that are still developing that need to improve.

It would be an absolute blessing if Gibson and Matulis came back this Fall ready to contribute because we need them, bad.

Drink Cocktane!

For the latest in USC coverage, check out:

TheBigSpur
GamecockCentral
GamecockAnthem
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 11:50 AM   #16
scfanohio
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
scfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his combscfanohio is developing his comb

We've won 11 games the past two seasons with offensive lines that I don't think were as talented overall as this one will be. It's a concern until we see it on the field, but I'm more worried about young linebackers stepping up than our o-line.
scfanohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:17 PM   #17
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

CockyCash: 200
EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

To answer the question of the OP.

If the OL does not improve, maybe Elliott does need to move on.

Before you hang me, there is absolutely no excuse for this line not to improve from one of the worst in the SEC last season.
EveryThingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 12:32 PM   #18
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

If the OL doesn't improve than we will has an inconcistent offense. Nothing to crazy about that.

From a solution stand point then we need to rethink our offensive scheme and how we run our blocking schemes. We have the bodies to succeed but may not be using the best scheme. Also could be our skill not helping out the big guys and making them look bad when it isn't their fault.

With all that said, I don't believe any of that and think we will do well. Our OL may not be Bama last year but we will be solid and able to do some great things offensively.
Old 03-29-2013, 12:40 PM   #19
Lalli25
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoverTwo View Post
Put it this way .. Florida, Alabama, and the Pittsburgh Steelers don't come after you if you can't coach worth a lick. He is still working with a relatively young group of players right now. Offensive Linemen, generally, start progressing upward in their 3rd year in the system.

Look what he is working with right now:

Starters:

Robinson - 4th year
Cann - 4th year
Waldrop - 2nd year
Patrick - 4th year
Shell - 3rd year

Reserves:

B. Stadnik - 2nd year
C. Stadnik - 2nd year
M. Zandi - 2nd year
W. Sport - 3rd year
D. Park - 1st year

Injured:

C. Gibson - 4th year
M. Matulis - 3rd year

Remaining Incoming class:

N. Rodgers - 1st year
A. Knott - 1st year
J . Vonashek - 1st year
B. King - 1st year

Of the 16 linemen .. 9 (56%) are in their 1st and 2nd years, 3 (19%) are in their 3rd years, 4 (25%) are in their 4th years.

He is still working with young players. Now, his starters are experienced outside of Waldrop who will have to grow up in a hurry but he has enough on the front line to win games. Its those young backups that are still developing that need to improve.

It would be an absolute blessing if Gibson and Matulis came back this Fall ready to contribute because we need them, bad.
Very good point about OL and age mattering more than other positions. If you look at Bama and auburn when they won they had older OL. A lot of people give all the credit to cam for auburn's title but he had 5 senior OL who had a large role in that teams success.

As a coach I have always said the perfect receipe for an OL is 2 seniors, 2 juniors and 1 sophomore. That way in theory 1 of the seniors is a 3 year starter who can really guide the group. 1 of the juniors is a second year starter so that means 3 of the 5 have a full year together. The sophomore you want to be starting because he is that good and not out of necessity and will become the core of the OL by senior year. Now I get this is unrealistic but in a perfect scenario this would be how the OL looks every year.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:55 PM   #20
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

You can't blame the OL for sacks when the QB wont get rid of the ball in time.

#ModForMod
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote