CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
USC_21
JDJones
b381l
WeStillOwnUSC
kingofnerf
Cockypantherfan
l^l^lBGCock
gamecockgal
kick_ball
10 years since " (2079)
Sidney Rice is havin (1578)
Why the hesitance to (1096)
Should UNC get death (480)
2014 Charleston Clas (457)
BJ Mckie (449)
Getting Back on Trac (344)
Hospitality Area? (318)
Cocky cloth towels (277)
Challenge to or revi (246)
Watson hurt again
weekend conference Predic
ESPN's Mike Golic keeps p
Why the hesitance to put
Fan bias toward a specifi
2014 Charleston Classic *
2014 Charleston Classic *
2015 Defensive Line
Micheal Shumacher Fightin
2015 Commitment - Dexter

Old 04-02-2013, 10:09 PM   #1
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

CockyCash: 30812298
nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material
Default Looking for a new handgun

I'm looking for something compact and inexpensive. $200-$300 budget. I don't plan on putting thousands of rounds through it. Definitely not looking for a top of the line handgun. The caliber isn't extremely important, but looking for something bigger than a .22. I'm also not looking for a revolver with this purchase.

The two i've considered are the Kel-Tec pf9 (9mm):

and the Hi Point .380 ACP:

Anyone had any experience with either of these two guns? Or suggestions for something similar?
Old 04-02-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material
Default Re: Looking for a new handgun

If you can find one get a Makerov 9x18mm combloc surplus. They are better built then any new pistol you will find in that price range.

Here is a good deal on one in your area

http://www.armslist.com/posts/130729...ds-and-holster

The CZ-82 or CZ-83 are nice guns if you can find them also. 82 is in 9x18 and 83 is in .380acp. They are double stack 12+1 but still very concealable.

If you want a new gun I'd look around for a Ruger LCP or LC9 they might be over $350 new but you can find trade ins at gun shops for under $300 pretty easy.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM   #3
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

nicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot materialnicstockman is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdawg77 View Post
If you can find one get a Makerov 9x18mm combloc surplus. They are better built then any new pistol you will find in that price range.

Here is a good deal on one in your area

http://www.armslist.com/posts/130729...ds-and-holster

The CZ-82 or CZ-83 are nice guns if you can find them also. 82 is in 9x18 and 83 is in .380acp. They are double stack 12+1 but still very concealable.

If you want a new gun I'd look around for a Ruger LCP or LC9 they might be over $350 new but you can find trade ins at gun shops for under $300 pretty easy.

Excellent post. I'm emailing the guy about the Makarov now. I've heard good and bad reviews on the Ruger LCP, but I personally love the Ruger brand, so i'd probably jump on one if I can find one at a decent price. I just started looking today but I can already tell the dealers around Charleston can't keep anything on hand. People are buying up the cheap handguns quick it seems.
Old 04-02-2013, 10:52 PM   #4
bigdawg77
GOOOOO GEORGIA BULLDOGS

Male

CockyCash: 7461220
bigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot materialbigdawg77 is USC mascot material

The Maks are like AKs and Mosins built to last forever. My dad's best friend carries one as his ccw weapon and he has plenty of expensive guns to choose from, it said his has never failed to go bang.
Old 04-02-2013, 11:02 PM   #5
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

i just sold an LC9, it had a very long trigger pull that i did not like, other than that very good pocket pistol, found a colt mustang that i like mo better
Old 04-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #6
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain9Dragons View Post
i just sold an LC9, it had a very long trigger pull that i did not like, other than that very good pocket pistol, found a colt mustang that i like mo better

Say I were to have been interested in purchasing this LC9 from you, how much would it have taken to get it off your hands?
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #7
Captain9Dragons
Forest Grump

Male

CockyCash: 22007959
Captain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot materialCaptain9Dragons is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
Say I were to have been interested in purchasing this LC9 from you, how much would it have taken to get it off your hands?
i sold it to a co-worker for 250, it is a very good pocket gun, i just could not get used to the trigger
Old 04-02-2013, 11:32 PM   #8
StackzOnThe'Boose
Conductor

Male

CockyCash: 500
StackzOnThe'Boose is learning to peckStackzOnThe'Boose is learning to peck
Send a message via Skype™ to StackzOnThe'Boose

The Kel-Tec PF9 is an excellent selection for personal carry and any other use you may find. I was reading reviews on this firearm, and they are all excellent. You may also want to look on Youtube for further reviews, shooting demonstrations, etc. Little to no misfire on this gun, and this was after several rounds.

There are a couple of Facebook groups you may decide to get involved with that are excellent:

This one is for buy/sale:

www.facebook.com/groups/119904164821961/

This one is for personal carry and group gun range meetings with like minds:

www.facebook.com/groups/SCCWP/

Best of luck to you!

Benjamin

Last edited by StackzOnThe'Boose; 04-02-2013 at 11:36 PM. Reason: Needed to add more information
StackzOnThe'Boose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 10:10 AM   #9
rjmims6017
Learn to swim.

Male

CockyCash: 100812
rjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPitrjmims6017 rules the CockPit

If you get a hipoint you can always hit someone in the head with it when it jams. And it will jam.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android
Old 04-03-2013, 01:52 PM   #10
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1715674460
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

What's the main purpose for this pistol? Everyday carry? If so how are you planning on carrying, iwb? Pocket holster? Ankle? The mac's are nice guns but a little large for pocket/ankle carry, as is the high point...if you are considering a .380 check out the lcp (pocket or ankle holster size) or bersa makes a nice "knock off" of the Walther ppk called the thunder 380, they make this in both the single stack and a newer double stack config, single stack holds 7 with the flush fit mag and 9 or 10 with the extended mag...

$300 MIGHT get you into a used ruger sr9c or a XD 9 or 40 compact (3 in versions) if you are patient and can hold back a few more bucks, PSA normally sells the XD essentials packs (pistol, 2 mags, and hard side case) for $399...I have heard very good things about the springfield XD lines

Of the two options you list, if I was buying one it would be the highpoint, but I wouldn't pay more than 120-150 for it...personally I am not a fan of keltecs/skyys/lorcins and such...also I wouldn't want to bet my life on the high point, I would pick one up, but for more of a "fishing" pistol...something to carry on the water in the woods...if I drop it overboard it's o huge deal

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 01:53 PM   #11
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjmims6017 View Post
If you get a hipoint you can always hit someone in the head with it when it jams. And it will jam.

Posted from Cockytalk.com App for Android

They are definitely really heavy guns.
Old 04-03-2013, 01:57 PM   #12
USCooper
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 200
USCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot materialUSCooper is USC mascot material

I have a 9mm glock and am considering getting a .40 or 45 acp because that's the only ammo you can find
USCooper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 02:02 PM   #13
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
What's the main purpose for this pistol? Everyday carry? If so how are you planning on carrying, iwb? Pocket holster? Ankle? The mac's are nice guns but a little large for pocket/ankle carry, as is the high point...if you are considering a .380 check out the lcp (pocket or ankle holster size) or bersa makes a nice "knock off" of the Walther ppk called the thunder 380, they make this in both the single stack and a newer double stack config, single stack holds 7 with the flush fit mag and 9 or 10 with the extended mag...

$300 MIGHT get you into a used ruger sr9c or a XD 9 or 40 compact (3 in versions) if you are patient and can hold back a few more bucks, PSA normally sells the XD essentials packs (pistol, 2 mags, and hard side case) for $399...I have heard very good things about the springfield XD lines

Of the two options you list, if I was buying one it would be the highpoint, but I wouldn't pay more than 120-150 for it...personally I am not a fan of keltecs/skyys/lorcins and such...also I wouldn't want to bet my life on the high point, I would pick one up, but for more of a "fishing" pistol...something to carry on the water in the woods...if I drop it overboard it's o huge deal

It would almost be more of a secondary carry weapon. Definitely not my primary carry. Maybe not even carry at all - but just something i'd keep in the tool box or tackle box. The things i'm looking for are 1. Compact 2. Inexpensive (if it got lost, stolen, etc. I wouldn't care), 3. Still has some stopping power.
Old 04-03-2013, 08:22 PM   #14
GarnetLaw
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 3000
GarnetLaw is learning to peckGarnetLaw is learning to peck

hipoints are just about useless except as a club or a hammer. I purchased a pocket size 32 cal Keltec as my carry gun but I barely got 10 rounds out of it before it jammed. I sent it to the manufacturer and they said it was a main spring issue, replaced it and sent it back. Needless to say that didn't work. I ended up selling the gun to someone at a gun show for less than 100 dollars after I warned him about the issue.

So after trying to go the cheap route I ended up spending about 350 on a Smith and Wesson bodyguard 380 and it has been fantastic. Ive put about 250 rounds through it with a single issue and carry it almost every day.

Don't make the same mistake I did, spend a little more money at first so you can avoid spending a lot after a bunch of heartache
Old 04-03-2013, 09:32 PM   #15
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by nicstockman View Post
It would almost be more of a secondary carry weapon. Definitely not my primary carry. Maybe not even carry at all - but just something i'd keep in the tool box or tackle box. The things i'm looking for are 1. Compact 2. Inexpensive (if it got lost, stolen, etc. I wouldn't care), 3. Still has some stopping power.
If edc isn't a concern, pick up a highpoint 9, cheap...and regardless of what most people say, reliable. Not many other handguns I would consider for something like that...except for the cost, a 3rd gen or 4th gen glock would be ideal...the finish on them is impervious to most everything...from temp extremes to salt/acid corrosion...the highpoints aren't pretty, and aren't nearly as compact as some guns you have listed here...

To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason is like administering medicine to the dead.
Old 04-04-2013, 02:14 AM   #16
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R
CT's resident law student

Male

CockyCash: 500
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is USC mascot material

Might I also recommend the Springfield XD subcompact? Spend the extra $$ to get one ($399)...you won't regret it!

As a student at USC: Gamecocks record 40-25 (21-19)
GO COCKS!
4|_3|<54/\/|)3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:19 AM   #17
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4|_3|<54/\/|)3R View Post

Might I also recommend the Springfield XD subcompact? Spend the extra $$ to get one ($399)...you won't regret it!
Great minds and all, check out my first response in this thread...however that's more than he would prob be comfortable spending on what would be a "throwaway"

Old 04-04-2013, 09:45 AM   #18
burr
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 200
burr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spursburr has earned his spurs

I purchased my P11 Keltec (9mm) new about 10 years ago, no misfires in more than 50 boxes, fits easily in a jean pocket, holds 10, and made in Cocoa, Florida. Its not accurate past twenty feet (for me anyway) and has a long trigger pull but a safe carry and used as a back-up for many.
burr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:46 AM   #19
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
Great minds and all, check out my first response in this thread...however that's more than he would prob be comfortable spending on what would be a "throwaway"

I've looked around online for a used XD ubcompact and can't seem to find anything much cheaper than about $500 - which is more than i'm looking to spend on this particular gun.

Let me also be clear that this will not be my every day carry gun. I have a S&W 9mm and a Ruger .357 for that purpose.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:50 AM   #20
nicstockman
Allway’s wright

Male

Quote:
If edc isn't a concern, pick up a highpoint 9, cheap...and regardless of what most people say, reliable. Not many other handguns I would consider for something like that...except for the cost, a 3rd gen or 4th gen glock would be ideal...the finish on them is impervious to most everything...from temp extremes to salt/acid corrosion...the highpoints aren't pretty, and aren't nearly as compact as some guns you have listed here...

Hi-point is the number one selling gun in america. Mostly because it's cheap. And, although they do have a reputation for jamming, i'm wondering if it's just that the number of jams seems inflated because there are so many of them being used.

I'd LOVE to find a Clock in my price range...but I don't see that happening.