CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
GarnetBlack&Blue
GSC2013
Dizzy01
WeStillOwnUSC
StormOfTalons
The Yancey
cockthehammer
gsgp
peterlemon
Kyle76
Mike Davis "dou (2082)
The Demise of the 3- (1405)
Gamecocks D staff re (1364)
Pirate Depth Chart (1002)
Past SEC Champions w (970)
who thinks we need a (960)
Reginald Bowens (692)
East Carolina Predic (690)
Why didn't Wes Green (658)
You guys are horribl (295)
What would be your defini
The Demise of the 3-4
East Carolina Prediction
Carolina opens -15.5
Gamecock football Long Te
Did we ever go after Kenn
MLS almost ready for play
Gamecocks claimed and re-
Tanner McEvoy should've s
Mike Davis "doubtful

Old 04-03-2013, 04:07 PM   #1
colnago
Recruit

Male

CockyCash: 500
colnago is learning to peck
Default Coach Adams question

Any feedback from the players as to how Coach Adams is fitting in ? Coach Lawing had been here for so long, just wondering on his style and the players are taking to it.
colnago is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #2
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

CockyCash: 200
EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material
Default Re: Coach Adams question

Quote:
Originally Posted by colnago View Post
Any feedback from the players as to how Coach Adams is fitting in ? Coach Lawing had been here for so long, just wondering on his style and the players are taking to it.
There is an article on GCC from today about Deke.

The gist of it is that his defensive line will be a little more aggressive than we were under Lawing. For example, Devin Taylor had specific responsibilities that ultimately limited the amount of sacks he was able to grab. Chaz Sutton will have a little more freedom under Deke to get up field. This sums it up:

Quote:
I want to be aggressive and get up the field and go get the ball, not just wait and sit and let it come to them."
The players have all been receptive to him.
EveryThingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
There is an article on GCC from today about Deke.

The gist of it is that his defensive line will be a little more aggressive than we were under Lawing. For example, Devin Taylor had specific responsibilities that ultimately limited the amount of sacks he was able to grab. Chaz Sutton will have a little more freedom under Deke to get up field. This sums it up:

The players have all been receptive to him.
^
Exactly !
He gets a lot of support from the players and other coaches at practice
and all of them respond well to his coaching style. The fact that our
O/line continues to look bad against the pass rush even after losing
Lawing, and losing Devin Taylor and Byron Jerideau in from that group
should tell you that his coaching style is not going to lack in anything
we've seen in the past few years with Lawing, and it may be a lot
more exciting to watch once the players get confident in the new style
that Adams brings.
Old 04-03-2013, 04:46 PM   #4
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
^
Exactly !
He gets a lot of support from the players and other coaches at practice
and all of them respond well to his coaching style. The fact that our
O/line continues to look bad against the pass rush even after losing
Lawing, and losing Devin Taylor and Byron Jerideau in from that group
should tell you that his coaching style is not going to lack in anything
we've seen in the past few years with Lawing, and it may be a lot
more exciting to watch once the players get confident in the new style
that Adams brings.
Doesn't exactly make me giddy about the OL tho
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM   #5
bhs04
high motor

Male

bhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his combbhs04 is developing his comb

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
Probably doesn't make Clemson's O-line too giddy either.

To think about how productive the d-line has been in regards to sacks, the fact that we are gonna be more aggressive makes me even more excited about the defense.

A PICTURE IS WORTH A THOUSAND WORDS.
bhs04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

As long as we are not giving up discipline as to staying home in the edges...

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #7
cockypanther
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 113355
cockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot materialcockypanther is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gamecock Rob View Post
We have an incredibly talented D line.. that plays into it as well.
cockypanther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2013, 09:07 PM   #8
snoopcockycock
AQUACOCK

Male

snoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot materialsnoopcockycock is USC mascot material

when you look at what devin taylor was able to do with a much more aggressive style in the all star game, after the end of last season, i am all for adams allowing sutton and quarles to play with a more aggressive demeanor.
i wondered all last year, with clowney being doubled and tripled, why taylor didn't have better numbers. but after listening to what he had to say after that all star game, it all made sense, especially when you consider his performance in that game.
it's like a breath of fresh air to hear adam's talking about going up field to the ball, instead of waiting for the ball to come to the d. players. i'm very excited about what this defense can do this season.
Old 04-04-2013, 01:01 AM   #9
uscsandstorm85
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

uscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPituscsandstorm85 rules the CockPit

More aggressive is exactly what the SEC did NOT want to hear.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:42 AM   #10
Legalman72
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 21358950
Legalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot materialLegalman72 is USC mascot material

Don't anyone take this the wrong way. I'm thrilled with Deke Adams. He's who I was hoping we would get. This is just a general observation: Have you noticed whenever we (and probably everyone else) hire a new coach, he's always more aggressive than his predecessor? I can't recall a new coach bringing a less aggressive, let's-lay-back-a-bit mentality. Sure, some have! I can think of a few. But it's always introduced as "more aggressive." Just one of those little things...
Legalman72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 07:20 AM   #11
RY4N
\_(ツ)_/

Male

RY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPitRY4N rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Legalman72 View Post
Don't anyone take this the wrong way. I'm thrilled with Deke Adams. He's who I was hoping we would get. This is just a general observation: Have you noticed whenever we (and probably everyone else) hire a new coach, he's always more aggressive than his predecessor? I can't recall a new coach bringing a less aggressive, let's-lay-back-a-bit mentality. Sure, some have! I can think of a few. But it's always introduced as "more aggressive." Just one of those little things...
I'm thinking it's more like Adams will go with the mantra of " everyone... get to the ball by any means necessary but DO NOT sacrifice lane integrity and edge security" while Lawing was more along the lines of "Clowney, get the quarterback/running back, Devin, Byron, Chaz, Kelcy... y'all try to take up some blockers and lanes. If you get the sack/tackle before Clowney, that's cool."
Old 04-04-2013, 07:54 AM   #12
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 3568
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

The more aggressive our dline is in practice the more the oline will be ready for war
Old 04-04-2013, 08:52 AM   #13
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
As long as we are not giving up discipline as to staying home in the edges...
I agree. I know it is hard to know what he means, entirely, just from one sentence, but this does worry me. A lot of coaches believe in telling the DL to just get up field and avoid OL. This is a very risky way to play. I prefer the scheme where the DL attempts to re-establish the LOS one yard in the back field, while allowing the LB run through lanes. I know our DL is unbelievably talented, but getting up field too far can cause huge running lanes. That is how running QBs thrive.
Old 04-04-2013, 08:57 AM   #14
Shep
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 14410087
Shep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot materialShep is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
I agree. I know it is hard to know what he means, entirely, just from one sentence, but this does worry me. A lot of coaches believe in telling the DL to just get up field and avoid OL. This is a very risky way to play. I prefer the scheme where the DL attempts to re-establish the LOS one yard in the back field, while allowing the LB run through lanes. I know our DL is unbelievably talented, but getting up field too far can cause huge running lanes. That is how running QBs thrive.
You may be right, a well executed offense can take advantage of an over-aggressive defense. That being said, I'd rather see a defense play too aggressive than not enough. Discipline is key though, and I think playing super aggressive but still smart fundamental defense is the goal.
Shep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:10 AM   #15
EveryThingGreen
#blahblahblah

Male

EveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot materialEveryThingGreen is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lalli25 View Post
Quote:
"It's not really freelancing because we're still a gap control defense," Adams said. "If you're supposed to be in the 'A' gap, that's where I want you. Yeah, we're giving you a little more freedom to be aggressive and get up the field and make things happen, but you still have to be responsible for your gap.
that is another quote from the GCC article
EveryThingGreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 09:49 AM   #16
Lalli25
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 380
Lalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot materialLalli25 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by EveryThingGreen View Post
that is another quote from the GCC article
Thanks. I figured it wasn't reckless abandonment for the ball.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shep View Post
You may be right, a well executed offense can take advantage of an over-aggressive defense. That being said, I'd rather see a defense play too aggressive than not enough. Discipline is key though, and I think playing super aggressive but still smart fundamental defense is the goal.
I completely agree. You need to be agressive, but with fundamentals.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #17
Glamcock
Recruit

Male

Glamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his combGlamcock is developing his comb

Quote:
I do know what you are saying. However, when the predecessors are Ellis Johnson and Lawing, being more aggressive is not a stretch. That is not a knock on Ellis or Brad, but they were on the conservative end of things.
Glamcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #18
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Obviously you were not a member of any Gamecock Message board when
we hired Ellis Johnson. There was a large portion of long time Gamecock
fans (myself included) who weren't too excited about Johnson's hiring as
the DC and that he had chosen to coach the Linebackers himself as part
of that deal. I wasn't real happy to hear that he was on the interview
list when we were looking for a DC and ended up hiring Van Gorder. Then
when he did the drive through and it was announced a short time after
that, that we had hired Johnson away from Arkansas, it was a major
WTF ? moment for a lot of Gamecock fans.

In the end, Johnson improved the defense beyond what it was with
Tyrone Nix running it, but our defense, for the talent and athleticism
we had during Johnson's time here, we vastly underachived. Had
we had a DC who was more along the lines of Charlie Strong or Even
a guy like Deke Adams (with his philosophy), we would have had an
AWESOME defense !

I will always give thanks to Johnson for what he did for us during those
years, but I will also not fail to admit we could have been so much better
had we been more aggressive on Defense, and he was NOT an aggressive
type DC.
Old 04-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #19
Goofyboy
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

Goofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot materialGoofyboy is USC mascot material

Under Johnson, our defenses averaged about 10th nationally in total defense (yardage). With offenses ranking in the lower 20% consistently, that's excellent performance. Our offense has been our defense's worst enemy during the last decade plus. I think this year, our offense could be a better ally as Spurrier has finally embraced many of the benefits of controlling the ball, and our running back, quarterback, and OL situations should improve. We will miss Marcus Lattimore, but really didn't have him but a little more than half of last year.
Goofyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 11:30 AM   #20
mpilot0705
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 498700
mpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPitmpilot0705 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to mpilot0705

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spurticus View Post
Obviously you were not a member of any Gamecock Message board when
we hired Ellis Johnson. There was a large portion of long time Gamecock
fans (myself included) who weren't too excited about Johnson's hiring as
the DC and that he had chosen to coach the Linebackers himself as part
of that deal. I wasn't real happy to hear that he was on the interview
list when we were looking for a DC and ended up hiring Van Gorder. Then
when he did the drive through and it was announced a short time after
that, that we had hired Johnson away from Arkansas, it was a major
WTF ? moment for a lot of Gamecock fans.

In the end, Johnson improved the defense beyond what it was with
Tyrone Nix running it, but our defense, for the talent and athleticism
we had during Johnson's time here, we vastly underachived. Had
we had a DC who was more along the lines of Charlie Strong or Even
a guy like Deke Adams (with his philosophy), we would have had an
AWESOME defense !

I will always give thanks to Johnson for what he did for us during those
years, but I will also not fail to admit we could have been so much better
had we been more aggressive on Defense, and he was NOT an aggressive
type DC.
I know Spurrier has been quoted before when talking about defense and says he just wants the ball back. Before we didn't have the offense so a grind it out offense and defense were best but we are getting more and more explosive players on both sides of the ball. I know his philosophy is he would rather have an aggressive defense that makes big plays and turnovers but also gives up a big play here or there than a conservative defense that doesn't give up big plays but doesn't make them either and allows the opposing team to grind up clock. This defense and our offense could be a match made in heaven this year.