CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
catdaddy66
GregoryHouse
JaxcockFL
doubledribble
SMOTFS86
Cockhornleghorn
B-G
Regalcock
JerseyBird
2014 Subway Classic: (2130)
Props to Eric Hyman. (1630)
Former Gamecock root (1464)
Franks boy's are pla (1343)
Garcia and Clemsux T (787)
Has the window close (687)
Bruce!!! (614)
Shrine Bowl on ESPNu (603)
Kentucky is dominati (575)
Question for those w (486)
Decommitment from Texas A
BEST GAMECOCK FOOTBALL PL
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
UFC Fight Night 58: Lyota
Has the window closed for
The Vent and Coaching cha
Bruce!!!
Franks boy's are playing
2015 - Eurndraus Bryant
Question for those who ha

Old 04-04-2013, 01:31 PM   #1
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 2200
gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material
Default Mad Men Season 6

Seems impossible that there is not a Mad Men thread. I feel like I have posted in it in the past. Did a search and got nothing, so I figured I'll start one.

The best drama on TV returns this Sunday with a 2 hr premier. Following up Season 5, which may have been the greatest season for any drama in the history of TV, is a tall order but I'm sure we'll all enjoy what Weiner and company have in store. Apparently there were some storylines that Weiner wanted to save for that last season but decided to go ahead and use for Season 6.

Anyone heard any leaks about in what year this season will take place? I heard a writer give a hint and say something about "sideburn city."

It's always interesting to see how Weiner will move forward with time and how certain storylines have been resolved over that time and the viewer is informed of these resolution via character dialouge and other context clues.
gamecockphan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:37 PM   #2
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
CockyCash: 344470
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material
Default Re: Mad Men Season 6

My fiancee and I forced ourselves to watch season 1 and then started season 2 and just couldn't get into it. I love the whole set up and everything, but it was just bad.

Follow me at One Nine 3 BBQ

cack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #3
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

my wife and i forced ourselves through the first couple of episodes of season 1, and then we were hooked. the dialogue is incredible, acting is great, the ability of the show to capture the time period is remarkable. just an overall top notch show. we finished catching up and finished season 5 last week. really looking forward to sunday.
FloydTheBarber is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:41 PM   #4
Gamecock Rob
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 200
Gamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot materialGamecock Rob is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamecockphan View Post
Seems impossible that there is not a Mad Men thread. I feel like I have posted in it in the past. Did a search and got nothing, so I figured I'll start one.

The best drama on TV returns this Sunday with a 2 hr premier. Following up Season 5, which may have been the greatest season for any drama in the history of TV, is a tall order but I'm sure we'll all enjoy what Weiner and company have in store. Apparently there were some storylines that Weiner wanted to save for that last season but decided to go ahead and use for Season 6.

Anyone heard any leaks about in what year this season will take place? I heard a writer give a hint and say something about "sideburn city."

It's always interesting to see how Weiner will move forward with time and how certain storylines have been resolved over that time and the viewer is informed of these resolution via character dialouge and other context clues.
Weiner is notoriously tight lipped and demands the same from everyone around the show. Some girl was on early in the show and has not been brought back because she leaked something.
Gamecock Rob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2013, 01:43 PM   #5
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

gamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot materialgamecockphan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by cack View Post
My fiancee and I forced ourselves to watch season 1 and then started season 2 and just couldn't get into it. I love the whole set up and everything, but it was just bad.
Interesting. Never heard anyone say it was bad. Heard slow but not bad.

What did you not like - acting, writing?
Old 04-04-2013, 01:46 PM   #6
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by FloydTheBarber View Post
my wife and i forced ourselves through the first couple of episodes of season 1, and then we were hooked. the dialogue is incredible, acting is great, the ability of the show to capture the time period is remarkable. just an overall top notch show. we finished catching up and finished season 5 last week. really looking forward to sunday.

Season 5 was so badass b/c each episode could stand on it's own and was not as serialized as something like GoT. Even though I love GoT some episodes are just throat clearing and a way to get from A to Z. While with Mad Men there are themes to each episode which feed into the overarching theme for the season. Each episode continues the storyline but can also stand alone which is a remarkable feat of writing and forethought.
Old 04-04-2013, 03:38 PM   #7
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Homecoming King 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Signature Fark Off Winner: Award given for winning a CockyTalk Fark Off - Given for: Winning the Farkoff Hey Beer Man!: Award given to the poster we most want to have a beer with - Given for: being voted the person CockyTalk most wants to have a beer with 
cack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot materialcack is USC mascot material

Quote:
Interesting. Never heard anyone say it was bad. Heard slow but not bad.

What did you not like - acting, writing?

The writing was extremely predictable

Old 04-04-2013, 04:04 PM   #8
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:

Interesting. So go ahead and tell us how season 6 ends.
Old 04-04-2013, 04:27 PM   #9
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

FloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot materialFloydTheBarber is USC mascot material

Quote:
Season 5 was so badass b/c each episode could stand on it's own and was not as serialized as something like GoT. Even though I love GoT some episodes are just throat clearing and a way to get from A to Z. While with Mad Men there are themes to each episode which feed into the overarching theme for the season. Each episode continues the storyline but can also stand alone which is a remarkable feat of writing and forethought.
I thought the great thing about season 5 was the show's apparent self-awareness.

My wife and I started it, and a few episodes into the season, we were looking at each other saying "does something feel...weird, about this season?"

Sure enough...not 10 minutes more into the episode, a character randomly says something along the lines of "everything is just...off" and it didnt actually fit within the context of what was happening exactly, but it described the season thus far precisely.

That kinda stuff really does it for me as far as tv.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:42 PM   #10
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CockyCash: 1575
CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

Pete Campbell sideburns alert.

Don and Megan in Hawaii

This is the official season 6 poster drawn by a former Madison Ave illustrator from the 1960's.
Old 04-04-2013, 11:48 PM   #11
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

CarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot materialCarolinaBand is USC mascot material

Quote:
The defense presents Exhibit A

Old 04-05-2013, 09:27 AM   #12
cockinraleigh
2nd Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 78700
cockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot materialcockinraleigh is USC mascot material

My wife loves this show. I've watched about 8 or 9 episodes. I just can't get into it. She wants the new Rolling Stone magazine cause I think Don is on the cover.
cockinraleigh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2013, 10:41 AM   #13
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
I thought the great thing about season 5 was the show's apparent self-awareness.

My wife and I started it, and a few episodes into the season, we were looking at each other saying "does something feel...weird, about this season?"

Sure enough...not 10 minutes more into the episode, a character randomly says something along the lines of "everything is just...off" and it didnt actually fit within the context of what was happening exactly, but it described the season thus far precisely.

That kinda stuff really does it for me as far as tv.
Good observation.

I think the changing of the times and Don "losing his fastball" or the generation gap becoming more pronounced is part of "everything being off."
Old 04-05-2013, 11:26 AM   #14
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBand View Post

HAHA that was CLASSIC!
Old 04-05-2013, 11:27 AM   #15
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
Good observation.

I think the changing of the times and Don "losing his fastball" or the generation gap becoming more pronounced is part of "everything being off."
agreed, but the writers did a good job of carrying that over into the show as a whole.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:37 AM   #16
CarolinaBand
MiLB

Male

Quote:
agreed, but the writers did a good job of carrying that over into the show as a whole.
They really started the arc last year of how out of touch Don is becoming with popular culture, especially youth culture of the time. The scene where he's listening to Tomorrow Never Knows and shuts it off in the middle comes to mind.

I think we'll see a gradual decline in Don's influence in the company over the last two seasons similar to what we've seen with Rodger and what's already happened with Bert Cooper.
Old 04-05-2013, 11:50 AM   #17
cack
ONE NINE 3

Male

Quote:
Interesting. So go ahead and tell us how season 6 ends.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBand View Post

People, I'm not bashing your show. I said my fiancee and I don't like it and that things are predictable.

The prosecution would like to mention that an extravegant office part in which one employee (or more) does something extremely crazh and out there ... happened in season 1 and 2 that we watched = predictable. Just because they step it up a notch, doesn't change what happened.

Old 04-05-2013, 11:53 AM   #18
FloydTheBarber
Banned

Male

Quote:
People, I'm not bashing your show. I said my fiancee and I don't like it and that things are predictable.
No one is saying you're bashing it- he was just challenging your assertion that it is predictable.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:00 PM   #19
gamecockphan
Banned

Male

Quote:
No one is saying you're bashing it- he was just challenging your assertion that it is predictable.
I was just giving him a hard time.

To each their own.
Old 04-05-2013, 01:20 PM   #20
lchite4
4-Star

Male

lchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talonslchite4 has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
I also tried, couldn't get into it.
lchite4 is offline   Reply With Quote