CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Master Bedroom
smoovecock
b381l
Lonnie
l^l^lBGCock
kick_ball
Lalli25
thekob
etowngangsta
The Yancey
GOOD NEWS ABOUT SPUR (3397)
Rebutting Dabo's Ran (2623)
Starting Lineup Anno (1855)
Cant believe no one (1834)
We Have to Pass (919)
Suspicious sign-in a (807)
Poster on another si (687)
Spurrier weekly pres (636)
eric berry may have (396)
Two Gamecock women a (306)
Rivalry Thoughts and Pred
USC/clemson spread
Bowl projections
3,000 / 1,000 / 1,000
Odell Becham Catch
How is Shaq Davidson's re
Why has there been 40 yea
2015 Commitment - Marquav
We Have to Pass
Spurrier on Pharoah: &quo

Old 04-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #1
gripitandripit2007
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 200
gripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talonsgripitandripit2007 has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via Yahoo to gripitandripit2007
Default Shaw most underrated QB in SEC...

Possibly the country!

http://oneclicksportsnow.com/saturda...medium=twitter

WIN ANYWAY!!

gripitandripit2007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:37 AM   #2
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material
Default Re: Shaw most underrated QB in SEC...

He is underrated and overlooked in a lot of discussions. Dude knows how to win though. I am still waiting on a solid road performance from him...but that could be said for many players on this team. I think his injuries kept him from ever being 100% last year. The uga and mizzou games were classic Connor Shaw games, and if he is healthy...I think we can expect those type of games this year. I really think the run game is what is going to make this team different on road games, manage the clock, keep the ball out of their playmakers hands, and keep the defense healthy. Excited to see what Dylan can do this year too though. When that dude is clicking on his 5 and 7 step drops it is a thing of beauty.
Mick Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #3
Big-Cock
Banned

Male

Big-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot materialBig-Cock is USC mascot material

Nice read! I agree 100%
Big-Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:40 AM   #4
AtlGAMECOCK
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
AtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot materialAtlGAMECOCK is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AtlGAMECOCK

I think having Thompson behind him to help will keep Shaw healthier this season.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:41 AM   #5
Mr. Burns
No Soul

Male

CockyCash: 447110
Mr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot materialMr. Burns is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
He is underrated and overlooked in a lot of discussions. Dude knows how to win though. I am still waiting on a solid road performance from him...but that could be said for many players on this team. I think his injuries kept him from ever being 100% last year. The uga and mizzou games were classic Connor Shaw games, and if he is healthy...I think we can expect those type of games this year. I really think the run game is what is going to make this team different on road games, manage the clock, keep the ball out of their playmakers hands, and keep the defense healthy. Excited to see what Dylan can do this year too though. When that dude is clicking on his 5 and 7 step drops it is a thing of beauty.
If he's our starting QB going into next season, the UGA game will be as solid of an opportunity as any to shake the road game monkey off his back.
Old 04-11-2013, 09:45 AM   #6
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

needs to remain healthy and play well on the road....thats not really a critique of him but really of everyone
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:56 AM   #7
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

nice read but thompson is the man. no way connor throws that td to ellington. no way. he wouldve got us into fg position. it just speaks volumes about our depth..
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 09:57 AM   #8
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Mick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot materialMick Chicken is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Burns View Post
If he's our starting QB going into next season, the UGA game will be as solid of an opportunity as any to shake the road game monkey off his back.

Yes sir, hopefully show Mrs. Murray how it's done
Old 04-11-2013, 10:01 AM   #9
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
nice read but thompson is the man. no way connor throws that td to ellington. no way. he wouldve got us into fg position. it just speaks volumes about our depth..
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:03 AM   #10
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

If Shaw shows early road jitters, bonehead plays and bad decisions like the 2012 Florida/LSU games in Athens, get Thompson in quick. I like Shaw but Thompson makes our offense look the Spurrier Fun N Gun Gator offense of the 90's when he has time to throw. Just simply throws a better ball than Shaw.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
swjwjwkw
Walk On

Female

swjwjwkw is sharpening his clawsswjwjwkw is sharpening his clawsswjwjwkw is sharpening his clawsswjwjwkw is sharpening his claws

Let me start this by saying that yes hands down Shaw is a phenominal QB no doubt and his game record speaks for itself. I do agree with Mick Chicken that he does need to have a defining road performance as well. I will also agree that yes he is a tough, play through injury, type of kid that will give you 110% as he tried to do last year all while being injured. The thing that ruffles my Gamecock feathers is that all you hear about is Shaw this and Shaw that and how he should be and needs to be the starting QB for this team. While there have been times that I do agree with these statements and yes I agree that Shaw does deserve some PT, but we need to give Thompson his credit where it is due!!! Multiple times last season Thompson was brought into situations and he stepped up and took care of business. If you look at the demeanor of the Skill Players on Offense while he is in the game, he brings so much life and electricity to the team and it's very obvious by their actions. There were multiple times last season when Shaw was in the game that the players and offense just seemed REALLY FLAT and that was because if Shaw's 1st Option wasn't open then he would tuck the ball and run which is probably one of the reasons that Shaw's body wasn't able to fully heal. If you do not agree with that statement then you need to remove the Rosey Colored Sunglasses that you are wearing. Like I said yes I do believe that Shaw is a good QB and deserves some PT, but I believe that we as a Gamecock Nation need to give Thompson more respect and credit for what he was able to do. What I personally hope to see this season is Thompson as our starting QB, with Shaw being utilized for certain packages or plays.

"HEAVEN ON EARTH"
swjwjwkw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:07 AM   #12
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Rebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot materialRebel4ever is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mick Chicken View Post
Yes sir, hopefully show Mrs. Murray how it's done
He'll be to concerned about JDVC and the Rabbits chasing his ass down to care about who our QB is.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:10 AM   #13
trapper82
1st Team All-SEC

Male

trapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot materialtrapper82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjwjwkw View Post
Let me start this by saying that yes hands down Shaw is a phenominal QB no doubt and his game record speaks for itself. I do agree with Mick Chicken that he does need to have a defining road performance as well. I will also agree that yes he is a tough, play through injury, type of kid that will give you 110% as he tried to do last year all while being injured. The thing that ruffles my Gamecock feathers is that all you hear about is Shaw this and Shaw that and how he should be and needs to be the starting QB for this team. While there have been times that I do agree with these statements and yes I agree that Shaw does deserve some PT, but we need to give Thompson his credit where it is due!!! Multiple times last season Thompson was brought into situations and he stepped up and took care of business. If you look at the demeanor of the Skill Players on Offense while he is in the game, he brings so much life and electricity to the team and it's very obvious by their actions. There were multiple times last season when Shaw was in the game that the players and offense just seemed REALLY FLAT and that was because if Shaw's 1st Option wasn't open then he would tuck the ball and run which is probably one of the reasons that Shaw's body wasn't able to fully heal. If you do not agree with that statement then you need to remove the Rosey Colored Sunglasses that you are wearing. Like I said yes I do believe that Shaw is a good QB and deserves some PT, but I believe that we as a Gamecock Nation need to give Thompson more respect and credit for what he was able to do. What I personally hope to see this season is Thompson as our starting QB, with Shaw being utilized for certain packages or plays.
I think Gamecock nation gives plenty of credit and respect for Dylan Thompson because he has proven to be a great football player. When you say that "the thing that ruffles your Gamecock feathers" is that Dylan doesn't get as much credit I have to ask, did you read the article linked by the OP?

Quote:
...Dylan Thompson has proven to be all one could ever hope for in a backup QB, and Thompson indeed deserves some additional opportunities to shine on the field.
Quote:
...Thompsonís magical performance against Clemson. Of course, when the time came, Thompson proved himself yet again against Michigan, which is another reason why he deserves additional looks.
I am not sure how one does not consider this to be highly complimentary praise of Thompson.
trapper82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:11 AM   #14
Spurticus
IT'S MY GAMEFACE !!

Male

2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Football Poster Nascar Contest Segment 2 Winner: Winner - Given for: Winning Nascar Segment 2 Football Poster 2005: Award given for the best football related poster - Given for: being voted the best football poster of 2005 
CockyCash: 100200
Spurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot materialSpurticus is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by sc455 View Post
Again we are dealing with Speculation.
I could say that there's no way that Thompson hits Sanders with tight
two man coverage in the endzone like that.... I could say that NO WAY
Tompson pulls out of the grip of a D/lineman and makes that clutch slant
to Ace to keep that drive going that Thompson eventually comes in and
finishes. .... I will say that Ellington was a lot more open on the play from
Thompson than Ace was on the pass from Shaw. My speculation would
be that if Shaw can make that completion, he can make the one to
Ellington had he been in...... However, I'd just be throwing out
speculation and opinion there. What happened, happened.

Last edited by Spurticus; 04-11-2013 at 10:15 PM.
Spurticus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:12 AM   #15
Rebel4ever
The Paradigm Shift

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by swjwjwkw View Post
Let me start this by saying that yes hands down Shaw is a phenominal QB no doubt and his game record speaks for itself. I do agree with Mick Chicken that he does need to have a defining road performance as well. I will also agree that yes he is a tough, play through injury, type of kid that will give you 110% as he tried to do last year all while being injured. The thing that ruffles my Gamecock feathers is that all you hear about is Shaw this and Shaw that and how he should be and needs to be the starting QB for this team. While there have been times that I do agree with these statements and yes I agree that Shaw does deserve some PT, but we need to give Thompson his credit where it is due!!! that was because if Shaw's 1st Option wasn't open then he would tuck the ball and run which is probably one of the reasons that Shaw's body wasn't able to fully heal. If you do not agree with that statement then you need to remove the Rosey Colored Sunglasses that you are wearing. Like I said yes I do believe that Shaw is a good QB and deserves some PT, but I believe that we as a Gamecock Nation need to give Thompson more respect and credit for what he was able to do. What I personally hope to see this season is Thompson as our starting QB, with Shaw being utilized for certain packages or plays.
Ace pretty much said as much last year. That receivers got a little fed up running routes only to look up and seeing Shaw run.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:18 AM   #16
Mick Chicken
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rebel4ever View Post
He'll be to concerned about JDVC and the Rabbits chasing his ass down to care about who our QB is.
Ya I know. She is still having nightmares last I heard. I just meant while she is sitting on the sideline icing her vaj and fixing her makeup she will be able to see how a boss does it.

Connor = Beast Mode

Kaaron = breast mode
Old 04-11-2013, 10:19 AM   #17
OldPat
Blue Chip

Male

OldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot materialOldPat is USC mascot material

Connor gonna read it and make 'em weep,
Dylan gonna throw it and make 'em cry,
JD gonna knock 'em into Sunday.
Please 'D' don't kill nobody.
Just make 'em know they been had
by my Gamecocks. LOL!
OldPat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:23 AM   #18
lakefire
4-Star

Male

lakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talonslakefire has developed his gaff and talons
Send a message via ICQ to lakefire Send a message via AIM to lakefire

And this thread confirms the article that Shaw is even underrated within our own fan base. LOL. The dude is a winner - and the winningest QB we've ever had.
Old 04-11-2013, 10:28 AM   #19
CoverTwo
CockyTalk's Recruitnik

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Football Poster of 2009 
CockyCash: 101200
CoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot materialCoverTwo is USC mascot material

Thompson played against Vandy/ECU/UAB/Florida/Clemson/Michigan .. He took care of business in games where he was supposed to. I like the kid as much as anyone and agree that he is the "Spurrier QB" per se but he is getting overhyped right now as much as Shaw gets underhyped.

A lot of that has to do with 1) Connor Shaw not practicing this Spring and 2) The offense has looked, for the most part, exceptional when he (Dylan) has been in against non-SEC opponents. He hasn't beaten an SEC team. But he did have a brillant performance in a road victory in a hostile environment against Clemson. Connor has road W's but hasn't played all that well in them. Both players have clutch plays under their belts. While Dylan iced the game against Clemson and completed the game winner against Michigan, Connor completed the game winner against Miss State in Starksville 2 years ago, and iced the UT game in Knoxville with a TD run. So in essence, both players have done about the same as far as accomplishments it would appear, but Connor Shaw sports that pretty W/L record and appears to be in no danger of losing his job before the season begins. You also have to make note that Connor got the most reps against Michigan, and who was in for the last offensive drive with the game on the line? Connor. And he would've probably stayed in if he didn't re-aggravate his foot.

Its clear coach has faith in both players but he is making it clear that he is going to ride his Senior until the wheels fall off. Just like he did Mitchell, to an extent Smelley, and Garcia. Is he being loyal to a fault? Maybe but Connor is going to have to force Spurrier to pull him for a lack of a better phrase.

I think Connor was the right QB at the right time for USC. After the ups and downs of Mitchell/Smelley/Garcia, USC and Spurrier needed a stabalizing force and Connor Shaw brought that. USC was able to develop their defense into a powerhouse and do enough offensively to win games. Now there is a new wave on the horizen and USC is going to need elite play from Connor/Dylan or that STUD at quarterback (Mitch? possibly Drew Barker?) to take them to the next level. Its too early to tell who that guy will be but USC is going to have to get "better" play from the position or upgrade from the reliable motor vehicle to the luxury to get over the hump.

As you walk down the fairway of life you must smell the roses, for you only get to play one round. - Ben Hogan
CoverTwo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 10:31 AM   #20
swjwjwkw
Walk On

Female

swjwjwkw is sharpening his clawsswjwjwkw is sharpening his clawsswjwjwkw is sharpening his clawsswjwjwkw is sharpening his claws

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakefire View Post
And this thread confirms the article that Shaw is even underrated within our own fan base. LOL. The dude is a winner - and the winningest QB we've ever had.

By no means am I underrating him. Let me ask you this do you believe, based upon what you have saw from Thompson so far, that if he had started would his W-L record be as good as Shaw's in now?

"HEAVEN ON EARTH"
swjwjwkw is offline   Reply With Quote