CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Gamecocks Sports > The Cock Pit

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
b381l
garnet_black215
Master Bedroom
GamecockSuperFan
WeStillOwnUSC
Gamecocks1137
nodnahs
robgusc76
Lonnie
MWard
Clemson Recruiting.. (2122)
Gamecocks (-10.5) vs (1463)
Ranking the Opposing (1326)
Not a Rival.. (993)
Gamecock Coaches as (876)
Clowney Spares RB Bi (714)
NCAA Football 15 (497)
Hello Gamecocks! (364)
Marching band (364)
COCKYTALK ONE HIT WO (280)
NCAA Football 15
Clowney Spares RB Big Hit
Discussion: 2015 Recruiti
Galaxy vs Seatle
Clemson Recruiting...how
2015 - Ty'Son Williams
2015 - Nyheim Hines
Ranking the Opposing Fanb
2015 - Brandon Sandifer
Shaw Interview: SB Nation

Old 04-11-2013, 04:20 PM   #1
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

CockyCash: 200
GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material
Default Helmet Guardian Caps

Gaurdian Caps? first i'd heard of such a thing but sounds like it could really prevent head injuries. I know they look kind of odd but any chance that in the future NFL or NCAA could make them a priority to wear? NFL seems to be pretty dead set on the prevention of head injuries. Even went as far as to make rule changes. Every 10 years or so they make pretty big advancements in helmet technology. In practice situations where concussions occur the most, I think these should be used exclusively.

"WLTX-TV reported Wednesday that the University of South Carolina this spring has become the first NCAA Division I football team to use the product, which was invented by Lee and Erin Hanson."

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/...n-Cap?ref=8472

Old 04-11-2013, 04:25 PM   #2
GTjacketcock
Hell of an Engineer

Male

CockyCash: 500
GTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPitGTjacketcock rules the CockPit
Default Re: Helmet Guardian Caps

I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that these could actually be bad for the players. Something about the fact that since the padding doesn't allow hits to glance off like the actual shell of the helmet that the energy could be transferred to the players' necks and cause neck injuries.

My sign from Gameday at the Horseshoe
GTjacketcock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 04:28 PM   #3
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

GamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot materialGamecockSuperFan is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTjacketcock View Post
I can't remember where, but I think I read somewhere that these could actually be bad for the players. Something about the fact that since the padding doesn't allow hits to glance off like the actual shell of the helmet that the energy could be transferred to the players' necks and cause neck injuries.
From what I read in the link they reduce the impact of a hit by 33% and they're currently working on a newer model that can reduce the impact by up to 50%. Definitely have to think helps in prevention of concussions, but lets hope what you said isn't true and won't cause any neck injuries with our players. Makes me wonder about Clowney and his injury now that you bring that up, but I know little to no information on the status of his injury other than that it's minor so.
Old 04-11-2013, 04:29 PM   #4
Lonnie
Band

Male

Lonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot materialLonnie is USC mascot material

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
From what I read in the link they reduce the impact of a hit by 33% and they're currently working on a newer model that can reduce the impact by up to 50%. Definitely have to think helps in prevention of concussions but lets hope what you said isn't true and won't cause any neck injuries with our players.

What's Clowney Sidelined with??? <evil grin>

Lonnie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2013, 11:39 PM   #5
b381l
Heisman Winner

Male

CockyCash: 52205
b381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot materialb381l is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lonnie View Post
What's Clowney Sidelined with??? <evil grin>
Sprained neck.....whammy said he could have played if it was a game....just being careful.
b381l is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 12:12 AM   #6
FearThethumbandDJ
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1000
FearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPitFearThethumbandDJ rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by b381l View Post
Sprained neck.....whammy said he could have played if it was a game....just being careful.
Why risk it in a spring game?
FearThethumbandDJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:32 PM   #7
MOB49
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 400
MOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudlyMOB49 is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by FearThethumbandDJ View Post
Why risk it in a spring game?

I think the "game" he was referring to was a regular season game, not the spring game. He wasn't going to play in the spring game regardless.
MOB49 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 02:40 PM   #8
bryarx
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

Quote:
I believe ONLY having a padded helmet would do as you are describing, but this is a thin layer of padding OVER the hard helmets. It's like hot ice. Heat up the ice cubes! IT'S THE BEST OF BOTH WORLDS!
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:15 PM   #9
hubbarjm
Faustian individual

Male

hubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talonshubbarjm has developed his gaff and talons

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamecockSuperFan View Post
Gaurdian Caps? first i'd heard of such a thing but sounds like it could really prevent head injuries. I know they look kind of odd but any chance that in the future NFL or NCAA could make them a priority to wear? NFL seems to be pretty dead set on the prevention of head injuries. Even went as far as to make rule changes. Every 10 years or so they make pretty big advancements in helmet technology. In practice situations where concussions occur the most, I think these should be used exclusively.

"WLTX-TV reported Wednesday that the University of South Carolina this spring has become the first NCAA Division I football team to use the product, which was invented by Lee and Erin Hanson."

http://www.nflevolution.com/article/...n-Cap?ref=8472

Anything that makes our O-line look like stay puft marshmallow man I am game...

Old 04-12-2013, 04:26 PM   #10
Flameout12
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 100500
Flameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot materialFlameout12 is USC mascot material

Awesome....can't wait to let UA do some styling on these.

Flameout12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 04:36 PM   #11
doccock
Super Doc

Male

doccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPitdoccock rules the CockPit

Unless you can find a way to put a special pad directly on your brain, you won't eliminate all the head injuries.
The problem is not the hit on the outside, it's the rattling around of the brain on the inside that is most dangerous.
The first hit slams the brain up against one side of the skull and when it stops the brain slams back against the other side of the skull. Damage occurs in both places.It's called a coup contrecoup injury.
doc
Old 04-12-2013, 05:34 PM   #12
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

if these help then that is fine. what is not fine is the players potentially suing for head injuries. guys, its your choice, play football or dont. dont decide to play a collision sport where people get knocked the blank out and then proceed to sue..you can always sell insurance.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 06:22 PM   #13
crowcutta
2nd Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 1000
crowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot materialcrowcutta is USC mascot material

its the visual that players and fans have to get over. kelso from the bills and wallace from the 49ers during the 90s wore something similar, but it looked goofy and so do these. its going to take someone mandating their use otherwise it will take guys getting multiple concussions and using it out of desperation knowing it might be their last chance to play.
crowcutta is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #14
sc455
1st Team All-American

Male

CockyCash: 23088816
sc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot materialsc455 is USC mascot material

n/m

Last edited by sc455; 04-12-2013 at 08:22 PM.
sc455 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2013, 08:52 PM   #15
GamecockSuperFan
Run the damn ball

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by doccock View Post
Unless you can find a way to put a special pad directly on your brain, you won't eliminate all the head injuries.
The problem is not the hit on the outside, it's the rattling around of the brain on the inside that is most dangerous.
The first hit slams the brain up against one side of the skull and when it stops the brain slams back against the other side of the skull. Damage occurs in both places.It's called a coup contrecoup injury.
doc
Ouch.
Old 04-12-2013, 09:02 PM   #16
bigdog2003
Future Coaching Legend

Male

CockyCash: 999762
bigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot materialbigdog2003 is USC mascot material

Concussions are no fun, I have had some over the years from sports. Like doccock said, its going to be impossible to prevent all head injuries, but this could be a start. I doubt you will ever see it during games, and I personally doubt how much putting this thin layer of padding over the helmet shell can help.

Helmets have gotten a lot better through the years, I remember when the padding inside my youth football helmet was a really hard almost plastic piece, but the cost keeps the best models out of the zone some high schools and youth leagues can afford. High schools can't spend $10,000 on enough top of the line helmets for everybody to get one, then by the time the buying cycle is to the point where they have enough for the entire team, a better helmet comes out. If these companies and leagues are really trying to prevent injuries, they need to do it for all levels and not just college and the NFL.

bigdog2003 is offline   Reply With Quote