CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
JerseyBird
bcolinc
ConwayGamecock
Latti
Gamecocks1137
usc1
The Yancey
kingofnerf
FanofCarolina1
Storm Of Spurs
Decommitment from Te (1081)
Duck Bowl Depth Char (845)
Cleveland Browns Hea (698)
Garcia and Clemsux T (678)
Four USC Basketball (321)
Need a dog kennel (299)
NCAAB: CLEMSON @ SOU (226)
Bowl packages (190)
5 apps to turn your (187)
24 restaurants foodi (131)
**USC vs. Clemson GAME Th
The Vent and Coaching cha
2014 Subway Classic:**USC
QB Next Season?
Props to Eric Hyman. Than
looks like we have 2 OL r
The U ends apparel deal w
Former Gamecock rooting f
So, why is next year goin
Duck Bowl Depth Chart

Old 04-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #1
uscfreek88
Household Name

Male

CockyCash: 243600
uscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot materialuscfreek88 is USC mascot material
Default Self Image

Hey, tried to search to see if this has been posted but I couldnt find it, sorry if it has been....had a coworker today show me this and i thought it was pretty awesome

this is something i struggle with every day and im sure there are others on this board who do as well....this helps remind us that we worry about crazy things that others never notice

also wanted to post this after i saw 2000grad's thread about the british top talent show b/c i thought it was relative but didnt wanna get it lost in that thread
Old 04-18-2013, 10:08 AM   #2
Roosterdog
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1000000
Roosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot materialRoosterdog is USC mascot material
Default Re: Self Image

This is super-interesting to me. Did they only do women? Just curious.
Roosterdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 10:31 AM   #3
TheMetal
Banned

Male

CockyCash: 500
TheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPit

Kind of melodramatic.

They really seemed to be getting emotional- maybe they've got some underlying issues that they're dealing with?

My response would have been "huh...interesting."
TheMetal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 11:54 AM   #4
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

CockyCash: 1000468
2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Great Post! I did not find anything melodramatic or over the top at all. Women are tougher on themselves about this than men. It is incredible how that artist sketched from descriptions.

2000grad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:04 PM   #5
TheMetal
Banned

Male

TheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPitTheMetal rules the CockPit

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2000grad View Post
Great Post! I did not find anything melodramatic or over the top at all. Women are tougher on themselves about this than men. It is incredible how that artist sketched from descriptions.
I was referring to them crying as being melodramatic.

Yes, I realize women are tougher on themselves than men.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:05 PM   #6
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material2000grad is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetal View Post
I was referring to them crying as being melodramatic.
You're not married, are you

Old 04-18-2013, 12:10 PM   #7
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82

I want someone to do this for me! I've often wondered how other view me, and still think it's BS when someone says I'm pretty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roosterdog View Post
This is super-interesting to me. Did they only do women? Just curious.
Guys would have been cool!

Quote:
He's a forensic artist so he's pretty good at his job, I'd say.
Yes, women are tougher than men but we have a lot of Hollywood starlets to imitate as closely as possible. There aren't many "plain" or "regular" looking ladies in the tv/movie industry. And I used to get upset if a boyfriend was looking at or commenting on a pic of a girl or even in Cocky Babes. But now I think that if she can get his attention and yet I'm in their life as a significant other, I must be doing something right and I'm not photoshopped or air brushed!
Old 04-18-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
TheMetal
Banned

Male

Quote:
You're not married, are you
Sure am.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:44 PM   #9
2000grad
Unofficial WDW Expert

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82 View Post
I want someone to do this for me! I've often wondered how other view me, and still think it's BS when someone says I'm pretty.

Guys would have been cool!

He's a forensic artist so he's pretty good at his job, I'd say.
Yes, women are tougher than men but we have a lot of Hollywood starlets to imitate as closely as possible. There aren't many "plain" or "regular" looking ladies in the tv/movie industry. And I used to get upset if a boyfriend was looking at or commenting on a pic of a girl or even in Cocky Babes. But now I think that if she can get his attention and yet I'm in their life as a significant other, I must be doing something right and I'm not photoshopped or air brushed!
The first thing I thought was forensic sketch artist.

Plain or regular looking leading women are not sex symbols: kathy bates is a perfect example. Talented as all get out, but not someone that someone has a poster of in their room.

The images that are being pushed on women are a little too unrealistic and with other "sources" that people look at, the ideal women is not realistic

Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #10
CockyFanForLife
Recruit

Female

CockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPitCockyFanForLife rules the CockPit

I read a criticism of this ad that basically said that Dove is still telling you that beauty is the most important thing in life. They're just saying you may not be as bad as you think.
CockyFanForLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 12:50 PM   #11
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material

Quote:
The first thing I thought was forensic sketch artist.

Plain or regular looking leading women are not sex symbols: kathy bates is a perfect example. Talented as all get out, but not someone that someone has a poster of in their room.

The images that are being pushed on women are a little too unrealistic and with other "sources" that people look at, the ideal women is not realistic
Cindy Margolis gained some of my respect when she publicly said, "That's me air brushed and photoshopped. I *WISH* I looked like that!" Lol. I remember watching some plastic surgery show and the doctor said, "A lot of women come in with parts of other women that they want: so-and-so's eyes, so-and-so's nose, etc. but they don't realize that if you put it all together, it won't be very attractive so I convince them to work with what they got, and tweak it if necessary." I gave up trying to become a size 0 a long time ago: it wouldn't look good on my frame anyway. Then I learned Marilyn Monroe was a larger size than me but by no means fat. And she's STILL a sex symbol even in death.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #12
Cocklover
Take Chances

Female

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 2008 Cockytalk Award: 2008 Cockytalk Award - Given for: 2008 Best Non Football Poster 
CockyCash: 1103858
Cocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot materialCocklover is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to Cocklover

I've always said the way your personality is shows your beauty to other people. You look totally different to someone else than you do to yourself. My daughter made me think just last night about how my attitude is about myself. She was saying "mom, why do you always pass a mirror and say why didn't you tell me how ugly I looked today?" LOL...it doesn't go over well with other people when you're putting yourself down. Your beauty can show through your personality.
Old 04-18-2013, 12:53 PM   #13
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyFanForLife View Post
I read a criticism of this ad that basically said that Dove is still telling you that beauty is the most important thing in life. They're just saying you may not be as bad as you think.
Unfortunately the first thing you notice about a person is their face. Then their body. You can't see a personality. We all do it -- even me. Women are just pushed a little more to achieve perfection. The problem: ideas of perfection differ, and there is no such thing. And I know men struggle with this perception as well.

Old 04-18-2013, 01:10 PM   #14
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

Quote:
Originally Posted by CockyFanForLife View Post
That person completely misunderstood the Dove Real Beauty campaign. They are not saying that beauty is the most important thing in life. Society has sadly pushed that on everyone.

Dove's entire campaign focuses on being beautiful in your own skin, not to conform to what society says is beautiful. I was thin as a stick in college, but I am a more curvy woman as I get older (will be 40 next year). That is my lot in life. I have hips and am damn proud of them! The women in the Dove Real Beauty campaign are all shapes and sizes. And I love the new campaign that focuses on younger girls, focusing on how they may change their look, doing what they love, etc all because society doesn't think that is how you're supposed to look, and then at the end reminds them to be who they are not who society says they should be.

I also have to remember to focus more on how the clothes fit rather than what the scale says, and the main focus is being fit. I have to work harder to keep my muscles in shape, especially in my thighs and midsection. Some women are just larger than others. Not everyone can be a size 4 and quite honestly, I would look completely anorexic if I was. It just doesn't fit my body type.

As GS82 points out, the classic sex symbols in history weren't size 6s. They were curvy women. For some reason, society decided that wasn't acceptable any more.
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
That person completely misunderstood the Dove Real Beauty campaign. They are not saying that beauty is the most important thing in life. Society has sadly pushed that on everyone.

Dove's entire campaign focuses on being beautiful in your own skin, not to conform to what society says is beautiful. I was thin as a stick in college, but I am a more curvy woman as I get older (will be 40 next year). That is my lot in life. I have hips and am damn proud of them! The women in the Dove Real Beauty campaign are all shapes and sizes. And I love the new campaign that focuses on younger girls, focusing on how they may change their look, doing what they love, etc all because society doesn't think that is how you're supposed to look, and then at the end reminds them to be who they are not who society says they should be.

I also have to remember to focus more on how the clothes fit rather than what the scale says, and the main focus is being fit. I have to work harder to keep my muscles in shape, especially in my thighs and midsection. Some women are just larger than others. Not everyone can be a size 4 and quite honestly, I would look completely anorexic if I was. It just doesn't fit my body type.

As GS82 points out, the classic sex symbols in history weren't size 6s. They were curvy women. For some reason, society decided that wasn't acceptable any more.
Agreed! I have hips, boobs, and a booty. And I'm proud of them!
Old 04-18-2013, 01:17 PM   #16
TheMetal
Banned

Male

How do we, as a society, come to terms with two competing arguments;

One being that everyone should be comfortable in their own skin, no matter what shape and size you are.
And the other being that we should all strive to be in better shape, mainly due to the 'epidemic' of obesity running rampant in this country, especially given the loose definition of the term 'obesity'?

That's like saying to the person with a BMI that is considered obese; "you know, you are beautiful, but you should really try to lose some weight"
Old 04-18-2013, 01:21 PM   #17
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMetal View Post
How do we, as a society, come to terms with two competing arguments;

One being that everyone should be comfortable in their own skin, no matter what shape and size you are.
And the other being that we should all strive to be in better shape, mainly due to the 'epidemic' of obesity running rampant in this country, especially given the loose definition of the term 'obesity'?

That's like saying to the person with a BMI that is considered obese; "you know, you are beautiful, but you should really try to lose some weight"
Exactly. I was told by an ex (not a member of this board!) that, "You have a really pretty face. If you lost about a third of your weight, got your nose slimmed down and dyed your hair blonde, you'd be hot." Needless to say I did none of that, so I did him a favor and sent him packing in search of his skinny, perfect-nosed blonde. BTW, if I lost a third of my weight, a strong wind would blow me away.
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #18
USCBatgirl21
Official Baseball Chick

Female

CockyCash: 1000500
USCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot materialUSCBatgirl21 is USC mascot material
Send a message via MSN to USCBatgirl21

1 - get rid of BMI. That is absolutely the worse way to determine obesity. A good friend of mine who is very muscular but short would be considered obese by her BMI.

2 - promote staying fit, eating healthy, and the like, but don't focus so much on being a size 4 when done. I work to stay fit, but the smallest size I could possibly see is a size 12 (I'm at 14 now b/c I was REALLY bad this winter). Some people are just naturally bigger than others, but by staying active, and not eating so much junk, they can and should be very comfortable with their size and shape. Again, there needs to be more focus that everyone has a different body type, and you have to do what is best for your body.

3 - put it out there that the best way to determine what is the best look for you is to work with your physician, and put out there more that everyone is a different body type and that is ok. Fit and healthy is different for each and every person out there. Put these stick thin, anorexic, ribs sticking out model types out of business!
USCBatgirl21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2013, 01:23 PM   #19
TheMetal
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82 View Post
Exactly. I was told by an ex (not a member of this board!) that, "You have a really pretty face. If you lost about a third of your weight, got your nose slimmed down and dyed your hair blonde, you'd be hot." Needless to say I did none of that, so I did him a favor and sent him packing in search of his skinny, perfect-nosed blonde. BTW, If I lost a third of my weight, a strong wind would blow me away.
I understand- but I was referring more to the national push to tackle obesity and those that are considered by doctors to be over-weight.

On one hand, you have people that qualify as obese and overweight being urged to lose weight. On the other hand, we're told everyone should be comfortable with their shape and size.

I don't want this to get political- but we have people from every level of our country making this push to lose weight, and yet we're also told everyone should be happy with who they are. Well, which is it?
Old 04-18-2013, 01:24 PM   #20
TheMetal
Banned

Male

Quote:
Originally Posted by USCBatgirl21 View Post
1 - get rid of BMI. That is absolutely the worse way to determine obesity. A good friend of mine who is very muscular but short would be considered obese by her BMI.

2 - promote staying fit, eating healthy, and the like, but don't focus so much on being a size 4 when done. I work to stay fit, but the smallest size I could possibly see is a size 12.

3 - put it out there that the best way to determine what is the best look for you is to work with your physician, and put out there more that everyone is a different body type and that is ok. Fit and healthy is different for each and every person out there. Put these stick thin, anorexic, ribs sticking out model types out of business!
So, should someone who IS obese be happy with who they are?

BTW- I do agree with your sentiment on BMI. It was created by a mathematician and is extremely out-dated.