CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
Gamecocks1137
JerseyBird
Garnetnblack99
kingoftheroost
MountainCock
CoverTwo
CockyLifer
2000grad
b381l
U-Dub Gamecock
Morris to SMU (4700)
BIG PROBLEM! JUST RE (1689)
Clemson fans (1202)
Carolina on a Walmar (1046)
Game simulation (779)
End of the aTm / LSU (438)
Have we been favored (353)
Origin Sale Too (236)
Women's Soccer Elite (182)
Chad Morris new HC a (152)
Clemson fans
Name a Gamecock
Carolina on a Walmart com
Clemson Stadium Gamecock
Constant Updates on Watso
End of the aTm / LSU game
2014 Junkanoo Jam **USC W
Bailey's life hack for Ol
Morris to SMU
THE Vent and Coaching Cha

Old 04-19-2013, 10:52 PM   #1
RockRocks787
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1510
RockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPitRockRocks787 rules the CockPit
Send a message via AIM to RockRocks787
Default What Type of Dog Should I Get

My family is getting our first dog. Right now we seem to be torn between three, including a German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and a Lab. The youngest family member is 14, so there's no danger of it being too hyper to be around a small child or anything like that. There's a few factors that come into play.

1. It would have to stay in a pen for most of the day, but we'd be around to give it plenty of time outside of the pen

2. We have three cats, so it can't be too aggressive around other animals

3. It can't bark a whole lot.

I've been watching the Dogs 101 videos on that Animal Planet website, but they talk up each breed like each one is the perfect choice, so I'd rather get a more realistic outlook.

I'll hang up and listen.

RockRocks787 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #2
Carolina4eva
Blue Chip

Male

CockyCash: 500
Carolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervousCarolina4eva is making other chickens nervous
Default Re: What Type of Dog Should I Get

Pitbull! Now that I have one I couldn't imagine owning a different breed.

Army National Guard
Carolina4eva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2013, 10:58 PM   #3
cock13
An illusion, Michael

Male

CockyCash: 51250
cock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot materialcock13 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
My family is getting our first dog. Right now we seem to be torn between three, including a German Shepherd, Golden Retriever, and a Lab. The youngest family member is 14, so there's no danger of it being too hyper to be around a small child or anything like that. There's a few factors that come into play.

1. It would have to stay in a pen for most of the day, but we'd be around to give it plenty of time outside of the pen

3. It can't bark at a whole lot.

I've been watching the Dogs 101 videos on that Animal Planet website, but they talk up each breed like each one is the perfect choice, so I'd rather get a more realistic outlook.

I'll hang up and listen.
I think those two, especially number 2, are much more a product of nurture rather than inherent traits of any of those breeds.

Personally, I think German Shepherds are gorgeous, and I vote that one
Old 04-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #4
Drunkeneskimofo
is awesome.

Male

CockyCash: 200
Drunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot materialDrunkeneskimofo is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to Drunkeneskimofo

I'd go with lab out of those choices however they are three of the most popular breeds in America and I'm not keen on having what everyone else has. I've got a greyhound and she's been a great, easy going, and easy to take care of dog.

Clemson University... you will never find a more wretched hive of scum and villainy.
Drunkeneskimofo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:19 AM   #5
ColaCock
Heisman Candidate

Male

CockyCash: 800
ColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot materialColaCock is USC mascot material

Easy. American Bulldog.

Fun when you want them to be active...lazy as hell when you want them to relax with you. They are very strong and also stubborn at times...independence will show at times. They are trainable to a good extent, as well. Very, very alert dogs...but not aggressive to strangers if socialized (like any dog).

Ours did well in a crate and I would suggest it for any dog. It isn't punishment, it becomes their safe place and home...and teaches discipline and obedience. Just make sure your "bad girl/bad boy" time is in a different place.

However, you shouldn't pick the breed you want- you should let your lifestyle determine the breed that fits yours.

Whatever you do, make sure you REALLY want a dog. Nothing pisses me off more than the people who get a dog and a new baby or new re-location "makes" them give up the dog. Those people are low scum to me and full of excuses.

ColaCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 12:23 AM   #6
GotSpurrier82
Keeper of the Booze

Female

CockyCash: 10000322
GotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot materialGotSpurrier82 is USC mascot material
Send a message via AIM to GotSpurrier82

If it has to stay in a pen for most of the day, may want to re-think getting a dog at all. I'm sorry, but I think that isn't fair to a dog.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:27 AM   #7
CaptainCock91
Starter

Male

CockyCash: 495
CaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot materialCaptainCock91 is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockRocks787 View Post
Ask others who have both dogs and cats to see what the best way to introduce them would be, but I have heard that getting the dog as a puppy is the way to go. The cat will put the puppy in it's place, and when the dog grows up, it has learned to respect the cat. My girlfriends brother/sister-in-law did this, and their dog (large breed) and cat get along great.

I have owned Black Labs my whole life, so I am partial to them, but you have narrowed it down to three great breeds. Can't go wrong with any of them.
Old 04-20-2013, 12:31 AM   #8
Schecter
Banned

Male

Schecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot materialSchecter is USC mascot material

We had a Boston Terrier for quite a while, and it was an amazing dog. It was great with people, and the most loving animal i've ever seen.
Schecter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:36 AM   #9
warriorchief
CT's 2x Favorite Tiger

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Favorite Non Gamecock Poster 
CockyCash: 1048000
warriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot materialwarriorchief is USC mascot material

I love my black lab. I keep her on a runner in the back yard so she has plenty of room to move and play, and whenever night rolls around (or bad weather/rain during the day), she has a 10x10 covered pen. She's about 15 months old, and through the 6-12 month age she barked a lot. Didn't bother us, but I'm sure it'd get old for you. Now she'll only do it on command, or whenever something is in the yard (stray, rabbit, deer, etc).

With proper training and everything (I'd recommend mild shock collar for bark control, everything else is up to you), a lab is the best friend you'll ever have. They're obedient, loving, and very smart. Mine's pretty much care free, and the only commands she's learned is Sit, Stay, and Speak.

warriorchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:56 AM   #10
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Get a Belgian Malinois. Its like having a 4 year old on crack !!!
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 03:57 AM   #11
SpecOps Cock
Banned

Male

SpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot materialSpecOps Cock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotSpurrier82 View Post
If it has to stay in a pen for most of the day, may want to re-think getting a dog at all. I'm sorry, but I think that isn't fair to a dog.
Yeah put being irresponsible and letting a dog free roam isnt good either.
SpecOps Cock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 07:07 AM   #12
doc
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 1160178
doc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spursdoc has earned his spurs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Get a Belgian Malinois. Its like having a 4 year old on crack !!!
doc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #13
TKE226
Damn Yankee

Male

CockyCash: 1768234
TKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot materialTKE226 is USC mascot material

not a bischon...inherited that dog when my g/f (now wife) moved in together. Its been 12 years and he still barks and acts like a puppy. And its the longest living breed of dog. Seriously he is still a puppy
TKE226 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:07 AM   #14
PageUSC
Recruiting60%-Coaching40%

Male

CockyCash: 987375
PageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot materialPageUSC is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by ColaCock View Post
Easy. American Bulldog.

Fun when you want them to be active...lazy as hell when you want them to relax with you. They are very strong and also stubborn at times...independence will show at times. They are trainable to a good extent, as well. Very, very alert dogs...but not aggressive to strangers if socialized (like any dog).

Ours did well in a crate and I would suggest it for any dog. It isn't punishment, it becomes their safe place and home...and teaches discipline and obedience. Just make sure your "bad girl/bad boy" time is in a different place.

However, you shouldn't pick the breed you want- you should let your lifestyle determine the breed that fits yours.

Whatever you do, make sure you REALLY want a dog. Nothing pisses me off more than the people who get a dog and a new baby or new re-location "makes" them give up the dog. Those people are low scum to me and full of excuses.
I second this!
Old 04-20-2013, 09:36 AM   #15
The Yancey
Grumpy Old Fart

Male

2009 Awards: Awards for best Posters - Given for: Best Signature 
CockyCash: 4751350
The Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot materialThe Yancey is USC mascot material

Lab.

Order Of The Spur
The Yancey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 09:50 AM   #16
AikenRooster
Most hated poster.

Male

CockyCash: 399
AikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot materialAikenRooster is USC mascot material
Send a message via Yahoo to AikenRooster

With the three parameters that you mentioned, you definitely should NOT get a Weimaraner...LOL
Old 04-20-2013, 09:51 AM   #17
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

I'd go with the Lab. I have a German Shepherd and he does what I need, he barks and sounds scary when he's growling and nobody is going to go in my backyard unless they are with me or he knows them. They are bred to be watchdogs though you may be able to train them not to bark or be aggressive. My German Shepherd is interested in my cat but hasn't tried to hurt it, not sure how it would go if I weren't around.

I think Retrievers and Labs are both good family dogs but Labs are a little less temperament IMO.

I'd go with a short haired black lab.

Also no dogs likes to be pinned up. I had my Shepherd in a 10 by 10 cage for 2 or 3 days when I first got him, but I was fencing in my backyard. I fixed in a 70 by 70 area for around 300 bucks. He can run, and does, and he can defend my workshop too.

I'd suggest getting a puppy instead of one already grown, upbringing makes a big difference and you don't want to get stuck with someone else's mess.

Also, if you plan on being the only owner of this dog, you make the decision. If you plan on letting one of the kids take it when they leave home, let them make the decision.

Last edited by RudeCock; 04-20-2013 at 10:05 AM.
RudeCock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:03 AM   #18
RudeCock
1st Team All-SEC

Male

CockyCash: 250000
RudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot materialRudeCock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpecOps Cock View Post
Yeah put being irresponsible and letting a dog free roam isnt good either.
No. I believe all dogs should have to fenced in, or as a last resort, chained up or in a cage. You see strays walking around everywhere. I see a black dog chained up in an overgrown backyard every time I walk my dogs, and he looks so lonely. He looks at me and my dog like, "I wish I had someone to walk me."
Old 04-20-2013, 10:06 AM   #19
gocockswyn
Starter

Female

CockyCash: 500
gocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudlygocockswyn is crowing loudly

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carolina4eva View Post
Pitbull! Now that I have one I couldn't imagine owning a different breed.
And they love little animals. ha ha
gocockswyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2013, 10:47 AM   #20
JohnnyB21
Two Deep

Male

CockyCash: 1021420
JohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot materialJohnnyB21 is USC mascot material

I have 2 lab/chow mixes, best dogs I've ever owned. Easily trained, playful, and protective.

34-17 29-7 34-13 27-17 31-17

Coming for #6 next season!!!

154-71 in past 5 seasons against Clemson.
JohnnyB21 is offline   Reply With Quote