CockyTalk

Welcome to Cockytalk!

Thank you for visiting our forum. As a guest, you have limited access to view some discussion and articles. By joining our free community, you will be able to view all discussions and articles, post your own topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload photos, participate in Pick'Em contests and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today!!

If you have any problems registering or logging in, please contact our Admins. Thanks!

Go Back   CockyTalk > Community > The Water Cooler

Today's Top 10
Posters (by posts)Threads (by views)Newest Posts Gamecock Headlines 
CockyLifer
5lbYardcock
18IsTheMan
ZenUSC
The Yancey
b381l
evan_aggie
conwaycock2
bigdog2003
GSC2013
Do we have any shot (2907)
Carolina opens -15.5 (2272)
What changes can and (1796)
Shaw: Check Out This (1616)
Gamecock football Lo (1501)
Don't tell me we don (1335)
Gamecocks claimed an (1232)
Tanner McEvoy should (1160)
SOS Teleconference (1158)
who thinks we need a (960)
My Observations About USC
Gamecock football Long Te
MLS almost ready for play
Gamecocks D staff reveal
What changes can and will
Do we have any shot again
The Demise of the 3-4
Mike Davis "doubtful
SOS Teleconference
Connor Shaw Browns

Old 04-20-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
DA954BADBOY
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 2110801
DA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot materialDA954BADBOY is USC mascot material
Default Shopping for a bow and arrow

I cant shoot deer here in city limits with a gun. Any advice on buying a bow? Dude has one at the pawn shop for $85 at the pawn shop a few blocks over.
Old 04-20-2013, 11:27 PM   #2
03alum
4-Star

Male

CockyCash: 500
03alum has feathers coming in03alum has feathers coming in
Default Re: Shopping for a bow and arrow

For one, check the city ordinances. Many municipalities forbid shooting bows in city limits, as well as guns.

Once you've established you're in the clear, decide how much you want to spend. Honestly, to bowhunt responsibly, you can barely get a decent dozen arrows for 85 bucks. If you're going to bowhunt, you owe it to the animal to get good, reliable equipment.

www.archerytalk.com classifieds section will have some jam up deals on some used bowhunting setups. I've been bowhunting for close to 20 years so if I can offer you any advice, shoot me a pm.
03alum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #3
Regalcock
Fawlless

Male

CockyCash: 114408514
Regalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot materialRegalcock is USC mascot material

Why do you really need a bow? Maybe you are robin badboy hood and you are going to rob the rich and give to the acc.
Old 04-22-2013, 06:20 AM   #4
gamecock88
All Everything

Male

CockyCash: 200
gamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot materialgamecock88 is USC mascot material

Check out an episode of Hillbilly blood. They caught a deer in a snare with a noose of rope and an apple. Just tied off a flexible hickory and set a trigger with an apple on it. Otherwise, invest about a grand min on a PSE, Bowtech or Matthews with some decent arrows, a good release. Spend a few months shooting targets and you're set. Bow shooting is fun even without the hunting.
gamecock88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:08 AM   #5
bryarx
Game MVP

Male

CockyCash: 1974
bryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot materialbryarx is USC mascot material

PSE, Bowtech, Bear, Mathews, Diamond, Quest - all good bows. You don't have to have the newest, but I would at least get a compound bow that has 'parallel limbs', which means it will be 6 years or less new.

The best advice when looking for a bow, go to a store, and ask to see a bunch of them. Draw them back. See what feels smoothest to you. Bows have to be set to your draw length, arrows get cut based on your draw length as well.

The next thing you will need to make sure of, is that if you are shooting a deer in a neighborhood or otherwise 'city' area -- make sure you are shooting from an elevated position. Arrows (despite what movies show you) should completely pass through a deer (with correct shot placement).
bryarx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:15 AM   #6
johnnyb
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Male

CockyCash: 1706674488
johnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot materialjohnnyb is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryarx View Post
The best advice when looking for a bow, go to a store, and ask to see a bunch of them. Draw them back. See what feels smoothest to you. Bows have to be set to your draw length, arrows get cut based on your draw length as well.
just dont do this...it would suck...

gore warning

johnnyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 09:33 AM   #7
stiffolcock
trust me

Male

CockyCash: 200
stiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot materialstiffolcock is USC mascot material

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyb View Post
just dont do this...it would suck...

gore warning

retard was going for the ultimate overdraw and messed up. if arrow speed is that important, get a damn gun..... to the op: get what is comfortable to you (price, feel, mentally). the key is practice. every damn day until you are shooting a 3 or 4 arrow group of 3-4 inches, your toe needs to be on the firing line. it is muscle memory, strength building, and confidence building in your ability. it is also fun. you dont need to have some god awful expensive bow, just one you are good with. anything over 45 lbs draw weight will kill from 0-20 yards if you are well practiced. because of my size, i was limited. my draw length was 34 inches. pull weight was 52 lbs on my first bow. i put a crapton of meat on the table with it. practice, you owe it to yourself and your prey.